81 comments

Adventure Science Fiction Thriller

07/08/4093


23:37


--


We found it splack-bang in the middle of an asteroid cluster, suspended in the blackness like the corpse of a whale. I’ll admit, the hairs on the back of my head froze into quills when it drifted into view—it’s gotta be at least a thousand times bigger than our Wildcat, which Morena carefully maneuvered between chunks of floating debris as she scoured the star base for a breach.


I got a good look at the name plastered on the rusted metal—Valhalla—each gigantic letter crystal-clear despite years of erosion and corrosion. If I had to guess, it blundered into more asteroids than it could handle.


Captain Reza had his face pressed against the window like he was a kid back on Gaia again. Can’t blame him, really; if this is the wreck we’ve been looking for, we’ll be filthy rich by the time we’ve turned it inside out.


The Captain kept nagging Morena to hurry up, at least until she silenced him with one of her trademark glares. It’s funny, I gotta say, how even Reza the Reckless, who single-handedly nicked a Nova Gem from Federation Headquarters before his eighteenth birthday, doesn’t want to get on our pilot’s bad side. Then again, Morena is an ex-mercenary, a fugitive from thirteen planetary states, and can hit the fuel tank of a Federation battleship from four-thousand yards with her plasma rifle. 


Aishah had her goggles pressed against the glass as well, but I think she was more interested in the patches of moss decorating the star base’s exterior.


You can bet that the Captain literally bounded down the gangway when Morena found a breach leading to the docking bay. Aishah had to remind him to put on his suit.


It took some time, but after meandering through a hundred dimly-lit hallways half-eaten by moss and mold, we finally found an airtight compartment—none other than the bridge itself. It was strange pulling off our helmets to find the air breathable, which is a nice change from having it fill your windpipe with dust or scorching your lungs from the inside out. According to Aishah, who couldn’t help scraping some samples from the walls, we have the resident flora to thank for that. She says it’s not uncommon for a terrarium onboard to leak during an accident.


Maybe it was sheer exhaustion that sobered him up, but the Captain decided to put off the treasure hunt until tomorrow. Can’t complain, really; my eyelids are getting heavy as I record this, and the four of us except Morena have found a dusty corner to curl up in. She keeps a vigilant lookout by the bridge entryway, rifle at the ready like one of those ancient war statues on Gaia.


The crew of the Valhalla are long dead. Unless Aishah’s precious plants are out to kill us, I don’t see what Morena is so worried about.










10/08/4093


21:48


--


By now we’ve moved all of our equipment and rations from the Wildcat to our base at the bridge, which of course means I had to break my back carrying the Captain’s rum stash and Aishah’s science kit while everyone else scoured cabins and mess halls and conference chambers for any sign of the treasure (or any sign of spores, in Aishah’s case). At least Morena checked up on me every few hours, though she would disappear every time I turned my back on her.


Heh. Who knew even pirates had interns? I wonder what Captain Reza will promote me to once two months of looting spacecraft becomes two years. Hopefully, more than just the teenage freebooter-in-training that fetches test tubes for Aishah and occasionally helps Morena plot a course on the star charts. The position of First Mate is conspicuously vacant, so I’ve got my fingers crossed until then.


It’s only been a couple of days with no sign of the treasure and the Captain’s already getting restless. All the lifts and other fast-travel systems are kaput, which means it’ll likely take weeks to scour every inch of the Valhalla. It took two bottles of rum for the Captain to stop pacing around the bridge like a madman and drape himself over a chair, though not before he dove into another speech, the words slurred but no less passionate. We get it, old man; the Valhalla went missing twelve years ago, its cargo of the super-ultra-rare element Animium disappeared alongside all contact with the scientists on board, said element rose to mythical status in shady taverns across the galaxy, blah blah blah.


I should be as excited as the Captain, but I’m not. Honestly… and it makes me blush just admitting it… I’m just glad I get to be with the three coolest people in the universe. Even if I am their butt monkey for now.


Oh, shoot. Aishah was only pretending to sleep. Now I’ll never hear the end of it.










17/08/4093


22:09


--


After a day hauling DuraGlass containers out of the hold so that Captain Reza could laser-saw them open, Morena pulled me aside and uttered a string of words that I somehow knew were for my ears alone.


“This place gives me the creeps.”


It must be her mercenary roots; the girl’s made of tough stuff, probably cinderblocks and T-bone steaks. I bet she feels like a fish out of water, being forced to pace deathly-quiet corridors and inspect every unopened bit of cargo like some mindless factory worker when she could be painting the deck of a Federation battleship red with blood.


But lately she’s been dipping into Captain Reza’s rum stash. Is this the same Morena that sticks to one shot a week, because any more would “numb her trigger finger”?


It’s true that we’ve never seen anything like this before. Dead star bases, sure, but never with their steel interiors half-blanketed by so much life; all these greens and browns and blue teardrop-shaped things that glow in the dark. Aishah had a polysyllabic word for that last one. Just don’t ask me what it was.


Morena might disagree, but I think this place is, in a weird way, beautiful.










18/08/4093


16:06


--


If there’s anyone who’d know whether we should be worried, it’s Aishah. Lately she’s been a little less peppy than usual, likely because the Captain made her prioritize the treasure hunt over her samples, so she was positively beaming when I asked her about them.


Honestly, I don’t remember half of what she said because I was too focused on the little strip of metal she pressed into my palm. Something about spores and defying the laws of nature.


There was a flower sprouting from the metal strip, its petals so vibrant you’d think someone tore it from the earth and glued it on.


I know what you’re thinking; I should’ve caught on when I saw the moss everywhere. But a flower, growing where it shouldn’t? I don’t need to be a biologist to know that’s plain wrong. You’d think I’d be okay with this after romping across the galaxy and seeing every definition of “weird” imaginable, right?


But I’m not. Anyone could tell you that ships and cities are made of metal to keep mother nature from crawling back in. Not to invite her.


I still can’t understand how Aishah thinks that’s “brilliant” or a “groundbreaking discovery.” I think it’s creepy.


Y’know, maybe Morena is onto something.










19/08/4093


09:45


--


Apparently, Animium is so rare that it doesn’t exist in any substance database Aishah can access, which means we can’t scan for its molecular signature.


When I asked the Captain how we’ll know we’ve found it, he said his gut would tell him.










28/08/4093


03:49


--


We’re awake. There was this noise, like something banging against a pipe; it stopped as soon as Morena left to check it out. It’s been two hours since then. I hope she’s okay. The Captain’s in no shape to be gunning down other treasure hunters and Aishah is… well, Aishah.


I don’t think I’ll be going back to sleep.










30/08/4093


15:32


--


I can’t believe our treasure hunt turned into a Morena-hunt. I also can’t believe the Captain’s still fussing over that stupid Animanium or whatever the hell it’s called when she could literally be dead. Aishah slapped him when he wouldn’t stop rummaging through a packing crate. His only excuse is that we’ve barely explored half of the Valhalla.


What the hell does this element even do for it to be worth a fortune?


Maybe I’m being too harsh. Morena has taken literal bullets for us and it’s hard to believe anything could kill her. She probably got lost and broke her navigation equipment.


When I asked Aishah what she thought, she just smiled.










31/08/4093


10:59


--


When Morena was here we’d always split up, ransack this storeroom while someone else ransacked that one. Now we’re huddled together like chicks in a nest as we roam the hallways. It always feels like the walls are closing in on us, especially when we stop to rest. The silence doesn’t help.


And is everything… greener than it was when we first arrived?


I swear this flower patch wasn’t here before.










02/09/4093


17:44


--


I think I’m gonna throw up. Aishah already did.


We’d turned a corner to find the words glaring back at us from the far wall:


LEAVE ME


The blood’s still fresh, each letter shedding a crimson tear to pool on the floor. That’s where we found her plasma rifle; the Captain’s cleaning it, but the smell just won’t go away.


Okay, I’m throwing up now.










02/09/4093


20:19


--


We’ve been arguing for hours and I want the world to be right again. Aishah says we heed Morena’s warning and go back to the Wildcat. Captain Reza says we should press on anyway because she might still be out there. There’s a fire in his eyes that screams vengeance.


And what’s my two cents, you ask?


Coming here was a mistake.










03/09/4093


08:31


--


It’s taking us days to get from one sector to the next; if the Valhalla’s fast-travel systems weren’t busted, we’d be back in the docking bay by now. Turns out, all it took was an ocean of tears from Aishah to change the Captain’s mind.


I.. I feel so lost. These people are my heroes, my role models. Everyone at the orphanage grew up with tales of their exploits, their daring escapades, their life away from boring Gaian soil. I still can’t believe they picked me out of all the small, nimble pickpocketing fingers offered up to them.


And here we are.


Fractured.










07/09/4093


21:09


--


I caught Aishah fiddling with a test tube the other day while the Captain slept; she says it calms her nerves, but her obsession isn’t any different from the Captain’s.


Anyway, she says every single sample she collected contains trace amounts of an element that doesn’t exist in her databases.


It can’t be the same one we’ve been looking for. Right?










08/09/4093


19:25


--


What happened to the crew of the Valhalla? Surely we would’ve stumbled across some skeletons by now? Aishah says they got sucked into space. There are breaches here and there, sure, but all of them?


The silence is deafening. It’s funny how it inflates like that, takes on a life of its own now that we know we’re not the only ones here. Sometimes I wish that pipe-banging sound would start up again, just so I’d have an idea of how far away we are from… it.










09/09/4093


13:58


--


The Captain ran out of rum today. It breaks my heart to see him this way, the spark in his eyes just… gone.










11/09/4093


16:01


--


I… I don’t know how to say this.


The crew didn’t get sucked into space.


They’re still here.


We must’ve alerted them when a floor panel broke under Aishah. She was stuck from the waist down, and we barely pulled her free before they got to her. 


We ran like hell, put a door behind us. They kept screaming and banging on the metal like they forgot how to open it. The Captain fired a few warning shots, but none of them even heard it.


I saw it in their eyes. Not a flicker of humanity remaining. And their flesh—grey as ash, as if all the life had been sucked out. The part that makes me sick to my stomach is the patches of mold adorning their skin, like they were dead.


Aishah sobbed in the Captain’s arms for a good ten minutes. Neither of them wanted to let go.


I looked towards them, a child expecting answers. They had none. 










12/09/4093


10:08


--


KLANG KLANG KLANG.


Hear that? That’s me banging my fist against a pipe. Now imagine that, but constant, like a thousand heartbeats thrumming inside your skull. It follows us wherever we go, fading away as we walk but never disappearing. And that doesn’t take into account the screams; sharp, sudden, more animal than human. Maybe you can hear it too.


An element rumored to be magic, flowers growing where they shouldn’t, and now this. You can’t tell me these things just happen by coincidence.










14/09/4093


20:10


--


We’ve accepted that the noise isn’t going away. We fill the air with noise of our own, songs and stories, anything to make the rest stops bearable.


The way Aishah talks about Gaia makes me miss it too. Turns out, she would’ve graduated top of her class if it weren’t for her back-alley experiments—things only a ragtag pirate crew would be happy to finance in exchange for her tech-savviness.


The cabin we’re staying in is so damp and claustrophobic that even the Captain, bitter as he is, couldn’t help joining in. I could tell by Aishah’s expression that even she didn’t know Reza the Reckless was a family man at the age of sixteen. I don’t suppose birth control’s on the list of things they teach you growing up in a shithole. The poor guy lost both girls to a rival gang. He’s been flitting from one planet to the next ever since, numbing the pain with adventure and rum. 


With a glance, he tells us we’re his family now.


I’m fine with that.










15/09/4093


00:56


--


Morena came back.


Aishah let her in. Why wouldn’t she?


They’re both on the floor, lying in each other’s blood. It was dark, so we didn’t see the flowers until she grabbed Aishah.


Just, fuck. The Captain took the shot, killed her with her own rifle. I knew he didn’t want to, but she was coming for us next and she wouldn’t stop screaming and Aishah doesn’t have a face anymore and—


I look at Morena and instead of eyes that watch for danger, I see a set of vibrant petals sprouting from each socket.


I look at Morena and I shed tears where she can’t.










16/09/4093


13:11


--


The noise gets louder every day.


We left them to rot. 










17/09/4093


08:27


--


Things are never that simple, are they? I should’ve caught on by now.


The Wildcat is still in one piece, but it won’t. Fucking. Start.


We’ve tried everything: changing the batteries, trimming the vines that have grown over the landing gear, praying to all fifty-six Cosmic Deities. Nothing. Not even a sputter.


The breach is right there, a window for the stars to peer in and jeer at us. I can taste the void of space, the freedom on all sides instead of these cold, cold walls.


It’s like this place doesn’t want us to leave.


I can hear them coming.










18/09/4093


20:03


--


Somehow, they could sense us huddled in our little craft. Half of them aren’t even wearing space suits and yet here they are, brandishing balled fists against the windows, jostling the Wildcat like a leaf caught in a deluge. The emergency sirens wail like banshees and there’s nothing we can do about them.


KLANG KLANG KLANG.


That wasn’t me.


The Captain’s on his knees, fiddling with the engine even though we both know he won’t get much work done from the inside. I think he just wants something to do so that he doesn’t have to watch the flowers. 










25/09/4093


13:13


--


How long have we been trapped in a shoebox? I thought I could get used to the noise, figured maybe the ceaseless jostling would lull me to sleep like a baby in a cradle.


Oh, how wrong I was. There’s no rhythm to this hell. My eyes are blood and my body is glass, but I am jolted awake anyway.


I can feel it in my bones. Every lurch, every vibration. I want to take a knife and cut it out.


The Captain hasn’t spoken in three days. He sits cross-legged by a door that will never be opened, numb to the world. There’s a framed portrait in his hand—two girls smiling up at him.


I can see it in his eyes that he regrets ever leaving Gaia.


So do I.










25/09/4093


22:06


--


I miss dirt. I miss clouds. I miss silence.


There’s a crack in the window.










26/09/4093


00:34


--


One bullet remains in Morena’s plasma rifle.


The Captain let me do the honors; one last job, one last thing he trusts me with. I just never thought it would be this.


As I aim for the fuel tank, we share one last glance. Can I still see a sliver of the fearless adventurer in him, or has that been snuffed out along with every trace of Reza the Reckless? I don’t know. All I know is that he smiles when he nods for me to pull the trigger.


Goodbye, Morena.




Goodbye, Aishah.




Goodbye, Captain.










Goodbye.



November 14, 2020 04:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

81 comments

Orenda .
04:14 Nov 19, 2020

heya Ray, my sun ray on the sunny bay. How's your day? uh huh, i know. My rhymes are great 😌😗

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
07:47 Nov 19, 2020

Ooh and I thought Rhondalise was the poet 😉 Haha my day’s alright, thanks. Just waiting for my next online lecture (while trying to make the deadline for this week’s contest). Hope you’re doing alright too.

Reply

Orenda .
08:16 Nov 19, 2020

XD she's the best here, no doubt. Read the poem on by bio, it's God-tier. 👌 (not really) oh right. Good luck with that! I wanted to get one out, I have an idea but i can't seem to fit it in any of the prompts, so I'll wait for the next contest. I have to get to know you more so your favourite colour? Fav food? (exactly the same questions Amaya asked me lmaoo).

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
08:47 Nov 19, 2020

Haha the poem gets a chef’s kiss 😘 from me. At the rate people are dissing the downvoter(s) someone’s gonna write a story about them soon, just you wait... Thanks! Yeah the prompts this week are a little stifling but I guess that’s the challenge. Oh and my favorite color is green. Favorite food would have to be the one on my bio 😉

Reply

Orenda .
11:00 Nov 19, 2020

yay thanks! Really, i wanna write one, just don't know how to go about it. I'll figure it out soon ;) ah noice! I love sage, might be my new favourite colour. It's blue and purple for me :) Right. I love kpop, jpop, pop and edm, hip-hop, rock. I like alt rock as well. Literally anything.

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
11:17 Nov 19, 2020

Maybe if we ALL wrote a story dissing the downvoter they'll get upset and leave us alone (jk like that'll ever happen...) I had to search up what sage looks like. I thought it was just another herb lol. I used to listen to everything too, until I discovered indie/alt rock. There was no going back from there ;) I checked out your drawings btw-- crazy good. My sister also loves to draw. In fact, she drew my profile pic for me!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Orenda .
16:14 Nov 17, 2020

dude, I noticed the 'shortlisted' beside your previous story. I mean, it's no surprise. That had grreat potential. Congo for that! :-D

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
16:43 Nov 17, 2020

Thanks Orenda, you’re the best 😙

Reply

Orenda .
16:53 Nov 17, 2020

haha you're most welcome! Your style is always appaling. How long've you been writing for?

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
17:09 Nov 17, 2020

Please tell me you meant to write “appealing” 😂 I’ve been writing for about 3 years but I’ve read a ton of novels before that, so I kinda got a head start (like knowing what makes a satisfying plotline, etc.). I’m nowhere near as good as some of the people here (Masha Kurbatova, for example) so I’m on Reedsy to get better. And to hopefully win one day 😉 What about you? I haven’t checked out your stories yet but they’re definitely on my list!

Reply

Orenda .
17:18 Nov 17, 2020

bruhh, my bum is dumb again. Why did i even write that? Take it as sarcasm then. Forget I even said that. I didn't write that. sweet! Never compare yourself, man. In my eyes, you are amazing (duh, everybody knows that) Ye, you're snatching them fifty bucks real soon. Dw! Also, you play video games? I do too ho ho i'm too new. It's probably going to be a year or two, I don't care lmao.. my friend writes some crazy fanfics and includes me in them as a character and they're downright funny. Aw ye sure. If you ever plan to go read them, st...

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
17:47 Nov 17, 2020

Oh you’re too kind, thanks for the encouragement! 😙 Yeah I feel like video games are one of the things keeping everyone sane. Been playing smash bros with my siblings. Did you get a PS5? Keep trucking on, you can do it! And of course you can ask me for advice/critique when your next story is out, and I’ll try my best to be helpful 😉 Dang I wish I had a friend to write fanfics about me 😂 I guess B.W. did that one time, but I really wouldn’t mind more... Oh c’mon, you can’t tell me not to read a story and expect me not to read it 😏...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Scout Tahoe
22:27 Nov 15, 2020

Helpless. Sad. Freaky. You got it all. Agh, Rayhan, you're forcing me to read Sci-Fi. But I actually liked it. It was interesting with the flowers and I was heartbroken with Aishah. I'm a little confused what they were looking for, but glad this kind of fit under two prompts. It took place in outer space but was about pirates. Creative. Keep it up!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
02:52 Nov 16, 2020

Sci-fi (and fantasy for that matter) are definitely not for everyone, but I’m glad you found things to enjoy all the same! Basically the crew are looking for an element I made up (remember the periodic table? That, but with magic powers and is worth a fortune). I think I did mention it somewhere near the beginning, but I’ll look it over. Thanks for the comment Scout! 😙

Reply

Scout Tahoe
03:47 Nov 16, 2020

Sure! Sorry if I missed that part where you mentioned the treasure. ;)

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
07:30 Nov 16, 2020

No worries, I'm definitely not done making edits and you've given me some stuff to think about ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Bianka Nova
16:24 Nov 14, 2020

Oh, a last minute submission. And, well, you're back to 10/10. 😉 I loved the short diary entries. This kind of things always makes it so much easier to read. It's like a micro-novel (I don't know if the term exists; if not, I hereby claim ownership) 😜 I guess sci-fi might indeed be where you're most in your element. I'd dare compare the tone with any classical Michael Crichton novel. I wondered if selecting the name Valhalla has anything to do with Assassin's creed. I'm not into videogaming, but just yesterday a friend started play...

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
02:28 Nov 15, 2020

Thanks!! Nope, no video game references here, but in Viking mythology Valhalla is the place you go to when you die... so it’s kinda like me saying the characters’ fate was sealed from the beginning, if that makes sense And yeah, pirates and rum just go so well together that I couldn’t help it 😅

Reply

Bianka Nova
16:00 Nov 15, 2020

Ooooksi, got it! Second new thing I learned today 🙃 Also, on a side-note, I'm currently enjoying a rum and coconut flavored chocolate. 😋

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
08:28 Nov 16, 2020

Ooh sounds fancy. You'd fit right in with a pirate crew ;) I almost exclusively eat plain milk chocolate. Can't top that, really.

Reply

Bianka Nova
10:43 Nov 16, 2020

😲 Noooo, a food connoisseur like yourself, you can't eat just plain milk chocolate. You must branch out!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
10:55 Nov 16, 2020

Ugh, I can't, not with chocolate! It's like, why would you taint something already perfect, you know? But if having a thing for fried rice and garlic makes me a food connoisseur, I'll take it ;)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zilla Babbitt
16:02 Nov 14, 2020

This can be summed up in a word: Freaky. Freaaaaky. In the best way. The 15/09/4093, 00:56 entry reminded me of a great thing. You've cut down on the swearing, which made that entry be funny and have a great kick. Well done. How come the whole story is in italics? Why not put the headers in italics in the entries in normal letters? I'm getting some Moby Dick hints here, which isn't a bad thing. I like this story. It's unique. Keep it up!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
02:31 Nov 15, 2020

I’m limiting myself to one f-bomb per story thanks to your advice! I do think it’s better that way. I figured since it’s an audio log italics might make more sense. But I might change it if you think it’s a little hard on the eyes.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:50 Nov 18, 2020

Okay can we just talk about how hilariously awesome your bio is— Here I am with my fancy-scamny font-y bio makeover, feeling all proud, and you’re busting out this witty bio. LIKE GEEZ HOW ARE YOU 100% FUNNY? Stories, comments, bio. Wow. OKIIII THIS IS A VERYYYY RANDOM COMMMMMENT BYE NOWWW

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
03:01 Nov 18, 2020

Haha thanks Aerin! (Love the new name) Glad my bio has served its purpose 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Itay Frenkel
01:55 Nov 16, 2020

Holy shit Rayhan this was just so well done! I mean sci-fi and horror and space zombies. You created such a strong feeling of dread and claustrophobia throughout, also you gave us a lot of information about their world without ever info-dumping or slowing down the story. It was fun to see that the main character respected his crewmates so much, it made him more likable and the rest of them looked cooler. Great job!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
02:40 Nov 16, 2020

Thanks as always Itay 😉 Ooh do you think this fits under the “horror” tag better than “thriller”? Might change it to that then

Reply

Itay Frenkel
15:24 Nov 16, 2020

In the beginning, it was more of a thriller, but then near the end, you added a really cool horror twist! I think this could fit into both, so it's up to you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ray Dyer
03:04 Nov 21, 2020

Hi, Rayhan! I LOVE the pacing of this story. The sections get shorter and shorter, and the sense of dread builds. I like that there was so much more to happen after the immediate threat became clear. It wasn't just a dramatic reveal and everything is resolved. You get to experience the attempts to survive, revisit the characters as they get more desperate. I love the scene where Morena returns, but I think my favorite is the moment where you realize that they just sat around and shared life stories with each other. They had their "huma...

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
03:43 Nov 21, 2020

From one Ray to another, thank you! Your comments always make my day. "Kaput" is one of my favorite words ever. it just sounds so funny!

Reply

Ray Dyer
14:44 Nov 21, 2020

That's awesome! I was going to say something about us both being Rays, but I wasn't sure if you would identify with that. LOL! I'm glad to meet another Ray!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:06 Nov 20, 2020

This story gave the reader like me the feel of "Alien" and though it was boring at times I managed to stick with it. It was well performed and left the reader like me if the plants were going to come alive and attack the crew. It is a well rounded story but it still had two questions like the name of the crew-member who wrote the notes. Though it was longer than i thought was allowed it made me wonder what will happened next. Will another pirate obsessed for the mineral returns or will a new crew unexpectedly crosses the ghost ship. I was su...

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
10:29 Nov 20, 2020

Thanks for the honest critique! I’ll keep those points in mind if I write a similar story in the future 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Al Johnson
17:01 Nov 19, 2020

Absolutely loved the story and its structure!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
18:01 Nov 19, 2020

Thanks Al :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
06:03 Nov 18, 2020

...gosh darn it I shoulda read this earlier, and in the morning.😅. This was sooo freakish and it was written so nicely! I was totally hooked but freaked out and I kept reading until I got till the end! I enjoyed the whole story as a whole and how you separated it in time periods! I still don't know how to read those times cause thats not how time words over here my time goes to 12 and then it starts back at 1. But anyways great job Rayhan! You really know how to hook a reader huh? I really enjoy your stories I might even be a fan😏. ...

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
15:31 Nov 18, 2020

Thanks, hope I didn’t scare you too bad! Ah yes that time thing. It’s just a way of writing time without using “AM” or “PM.” But don’t worry, it wasn’t too relevant for the plot! Well, we can be fans of each other now 😉 I’m actually doing the sunrise prompt so maybe you’ll get your wish! Stay tuned 😉

Reply

18:52 Nov 18, 2020

Haha, no you didn'tt! Oh I just found the timing so cool, since its so different from how it is over here! 😊! Oh really!! I'll try to be come early and read it this time! Have a great rest of your day!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Molly Leasure
22:37 Nov 17, 2020

This story is awesome. It's giving me a Battlestar Galactica vibes: all hope is lost, nothing is okay, everyone's insane, and it's all for naught. I love it though. I love that you did it as sound recordings, because it definitely helps with the fear aspect. And the clanging and screaming and moaning and pounding. I could hear all of them! It was really creeping me out to be honest, haha. My one thought was whether they would still have T-bone steaks or say the phrase "fish out of water" in 4093. But, if they do, maybe it's because they ...

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
03:20 Nov 18, 2020

Oh thanks for the comment spree!! You got me, I actually wondered if someone would point that out, but I just can’t seem to replace the phrase “fish out of water” with anything else. And as for the steak... er, artificial beef maybe? 😅 I’ll have a look over. Thanks for stopping by!

Reply

Molly Leasure
21:42 Nov 18, 2020

Hahaha, artificial beef sounds...fantastic! Chewy and...homemade. Well, for "fish out of water," maybe something space-related? OR just, "a human on Valhalla." Haha! Jokes... "an amoeba out of water." "Like a plant in an oxygenless atmosphere."

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
11:28 Nov 19, 2020

Aaaaand it got approved. I liked the amoeba one though. Thanks for the help regardless😅

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Yolanda Wu
21:41 Nov 16, 2020

Oh my goodness, I loved this story! I started and I couldn't stop reading. All of your descriptions are so pack-full of little details of the world-building, and each of the characters' personalities were distinct, making that ending all the more heartbreaking. I love the little entries, I've always wanted to write a story in that format, but I don't think I could pull it off. Each passage, even if it's just two sentences seems to have meaning and add more to the story. Slowly watching the team's deterioration, from being so excited at the p...

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
01:10 Nov 17, 2020

Thanks for the kind words!! This was literally my first crack at this kind of writing so I’m glad it turned out alright. You should seriously give it a go, it’s really fun! Just think of every entry as a miniature story in its own right 😉

Reply

Yolanda Wu
01:42 Nov 17, 2020

True, true. I might give it a shot if the opportunity arises. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
08:28 Nov 16, 2020

Last-minute submission is the best. Wonderful story and awesome sci-fic plot. You exploited the prompt well. Kudos to you. Love your writing style. A 10/10 story. Please do read my new submission in your free time and give your feedback on it.

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
09:12 Nov 16, 2020

Thanks Radhika! I'll see if I have the time to review your story ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Saizen 🦜
05:03 Nov 15, 2020

I forgot to ask, but since you're quite well-versed in sci-fi, I'd br grateful if you could share your opinion on my latest submission "The Genesis Emporium".

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
02:45 Nov 16, 2020

It’s funny you say that because I don’t consider myself too much of a sci-fi writer, it’s just that I’ve been on a streak lately (my earlier stories have no sci-fi in them whatsoever). But I’ll see if I can find the time to leave feedback!! 😙

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Saizen 🦜
04:20 Nov 15, 2020

Hiya! What an incredible read. The suspense, buildup, conflict, foreshadowing, everything is so vivid and keeps the reader on their edge. I really think the world-building is quite well done here. The various backgrounds of the galactic culture paints a full picture of what it's like to live during that time travelling the cosmos as space pirates. The space zombies remind me of dead space. The glowing flowers really make it more eerie as opposed to gory. I like how it's implied that the Captain wanted to find Animinium to reviv...

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
02:42 Nov 16, 2020

Thanks again! I’m gonna assume by the lack of complaints from you that this is a step up from my previous story haha. Glad the worldbuilding turned out alright.

Reply

Saizen 🦜
02:49 Nov 16, 2020

No problem! I hope you didn't get too upset by my comments last time. I'm a very honest person, I guess I don't know to sugar-coat stuff too much... But I also mean it when I say something is good, not because I want to be nice.

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
02:57 Nov 16, 2020

I’ll admit, I suck at taking constructive criticism, but I always shrug it off after a day or so and eventually realize my commenters have a point lol. Reedsy exists so writers can get better anyway, so don’t pull your punches! 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
01:58 Nov 26, 2020

Hey, how are ya?

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
01:00 Nov 25, 2020

heyyy

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
23:16 Nov 22, 2020

heyyy

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
22:28 Nov 17, 2020

heyyyyy

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.