NEW VIDEO COURSE

Learn How to Write a Novel, Join Tom Bromley for a writing master class.

Learn How to Write a Novel

Join Tom Bromley for a writing master class and finish your first draft in 3 months.

DIRECTORY

66 Best Short Story Creative Writing Classes in 2024

Showing 66 courses that match your search.

Craft Memorable Characters

The Writing Salon

This two-week class is fast-paced and fun; it’s a mix of brief lectures followed by individual and team writing exercises where you get to apply the skills you’re learning right away.

Website: https://www.writingsalons.com/event/craft-memorable-chara...

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

June, 2024

Price:

$135.00

Based in San Francisco

Level: Any

Class size: Limited

Prerequisites: No prerequisites

Write Great Dialogue

Writer's Digest University

Dialogue can be one of the most interesting parts of a book to read, but only if it is done right. Sharpen your writing skills and challenge yourself to craft engaging, yet believable dialogue that will keep your readers interested.

Website: https://www.writersonlineworkshops.com/courses/write-grea...

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

March, 2024

Price:

$300.00

Online course

Level: Any

Class size: Unlimited

Prerequisites: No prerequisites

Complicating the Characters

Lighthouse Writers Workshop

In her seminal piece, “Complicating the Narrative,” the journalist Amanda Ripley urges storytellers to find and include details that don’t fit the narrative—on purpose. In this three-hour workshop, we’ll apply this principle to our own writing.

Website: https://lighthousewriters.org/workshop/complicating-chara...

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

May, 2024

Price:

$75.00

Based in Denver

Level: Any

Class size: Limited

Prerequisites: No prerequisites

NEW VIDEO COURSE

How to Write a Novel

Your story matters. Unlock your potential with daily video lessons from bestselling ghostwriter Tom Bromley, and finish your first draft in just 3 months. Learn more →

In this class, we will examine prose conversations and explore dialogue as a tool for getting to know our characters. We will observe the many ways humans communicate and translate gestures and facial expressions into engaging written descriptions.

Website: https://www.porchtn.org/class/the-said-and-the-unsaid-wri...

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

May, 2024

Price:

$51.00

Online course

In this five-week course, each student will conceive and draft a short story of up to 1,200 words. We will begin with a triggering image and build from there, reading examples, working with myths and fairy tales, drafting and revising, and exploring how to begin and how to end.

Website: https://bravewriter.com/online-classes/writing-the-short-...

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

April, 2024

Price:

$279.00

Online course

Level: Beginner

Class size: 25

Prerequisites: No prerequisites

Form and Composition

Writer's Digest University

Proper grammar, punctuation, and mechanics make your writing correct. In order to truly write well, you must also master the art of form and composition. From sentence structure to polishing your prose, this course will enhance your writing, no matter what type of writing you do.

Website: https://www.writersonlineworkshops.com/courses/form-and-c...

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

March, 2024

Price:

$299.00

Online course

Level: Advanced

Class size: 10

Prerequisites: Up to 60,000 words of your novel or two drafts of up to 30,000 words each.

The writer’s mantra – and the bane of most writers’ existence – is Show, Don’t Tell. In this workshop, writers will get down and dirty with ways to show and how to identify in their drafts where they are telling and how to enjoy transforming that telling into showing.

Website: https://writingworkshops.com/collections/the-best-online-...

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

June, 2024

Price:

$325.00

Based in Austin

Level: Any

Class size: Unlimited

Prerequisites: No prerequisites

What's more satisfying than leaving work behind on a Friday evening? Rounding out the week with a free writing session of course! Maximize that Friday feeling and kick off your writing weekend with us! In 60 jam-packed minutes, you’ll meet fellow writers and get your creative juices flowing!

Website: https://grubstreet.org/findaclass/class/may-seaport-free-...

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

May, 2024

Price:

Free

Based in Boston

In this course, you’ll immerse yourself in the nuts and bolts of fiction writing and gain new levels of control over your creative process, all while you produce multiple short stories or several chapters of a novel.

Website: https://writers.com/course/the-elements-of-fiction

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

June, 2024

Price:

$545.00

Online course

Level: Beginner

Class size: Unlimited

Prerequisites: No prerequisites

Folkloric expression is rich and varied in cultures around the world, both traditional and modern. Authors of fantastic fiction often draw on folkloric traditions to enrich their worldbuilding, but this needs to be approached carefully. In this class, we will explore some concepts from folkloristics, or the study of folklore, to examine the traditional structuring of narratives.

Website: https://clarion-west-online.teachable.com/p/using-the-fol...

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

Open all year round

Price:

$75.00

Online course

How do you bring memorable, three-dimensional characters to life enough to make that connection? In this class, equally suitable for fiction writers, screenwriters, and TV writers, we will view and analyze various movie scenes and dissect them to see what makes the characters memorable.

Website: https://grubstreet.org/findaclass/class/creating-memorabl...

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

March, 2024

Price:

$75.00

Based in Boston

In this class, we will explore how screenwriting for feature-length film and TV shows can capture character, setting, and atmosphere. Through guided writing prompts and examples from the scripts we study in class, students will write original scripts with a focus on crafting specific characters and building worlds.

Website: https://grubstreet.org/findaclass/class/screenwriting-for...

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

March, 2024

Price:

$520.00

Based in Boston

How to choose a short story writing class

Looking to build your writing skillset, learn more about your genre, or finally finish that short story article you’ve been working on? You’re in the right place. That’s why we built this directory of the best writing courses.

However, creative writing classes aren’t one size fit all. If you’re planning to join a short story writing class in particular, you’ll want to make sure that it matches what you’re seeking to learn about short story writing.

So make sure to consider the following questions when you’re researching short story writing courses:

  • Who is the instructor? How many years of experience do they have in short story writing?
  • Is there something in particular you’d like to learn about short story writing? Does this course include it?
  • How long is the course, and where is it taught?
  • How much does the short story writing course cost? Does it fit into your budget?

More short story writing resources

Whether you’re a new or established author, there are always evergreen resources out there to how to get a headstart on short story writing. 

Free online materials

Recommended books

 

Reedsy Marketplace UI

1 million authors trust the professionals on Reedsy. Come meet them.

Enter your email or get started with a social account: