NEW VIDEO COURSE

Learn How to Write a Novel, Join Tom Bromley for a writing master class.

Learn How to Write a Novel

Finish your draft in our 3-month master class. Enroll now for daily lessons, weekly critique, and live events. Your first lesson is free!

DIRECTORY

75 Best Short Story Creative Writing Classes in 2024

Showing 75 courses that match your search.

Folkloric expression is rich and varied in cultures around the world, both traditional and modern. Authors of fantastic fiction often draw on folkloric traditions to enrich their worldbuilding, but this needs to be approached carefully. In this class, we will explore some concepts from folkloristics, or the study of folklore, to examine the traditional structuring of narratives.

Website: https://clarion-west-online.teachable.com/

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

Open all year round

Price:

$75.00

Online course

Level: Any

Length: Self-paced, est. 120 minutes

Class size: Unlimited

Do you have a pile of abandoned story drafts or poems? One quarter of a memoir or novel manuscript that you're still not sure what to do with? In this generative class, we'll act as gardeners, using those old drafts as compost to create fertile ground for new pieces.

Website: https://grubstreet.org/

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

September, 2024

Price:

$85.00

Based in Boston

Level: Any

Class size: 12 seats maximum

In this talk, we’ll explore the craft of writing fiction that doesn’t move—fiction contained in a single, discreet space as large as a house, and as small as a bed—and the implication it has for our understanding of gender, characterization, plot, and time.

Website: https://www.bluestoop.org/summer-school/p/8-22-summer-school

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

August, 2024

Price:

$50.00

Based in Philadelphia

Level: Any

Class size: Unlimited

Prerequisites: No prerequisites

NEW VIDEO COURSE

How to Write a Novel

Your story matters. Unlock your potential with daily video lessons from bestselling ghostwriter Tom Bromley, and finish your first draft in just 3 months. Learn more →

In this five-week course, each student will conceive and draft a short story of up to 1,200 words. We will begin with a triggering image and build from there, reading examples, working with myths and fairy tales, drafting and revising, and exploring how to begin and how to end.

Website: https://bravewriter.com/online-classes/writing-the-short-...

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

July, 2024

Price:

$279.00

Online course

Level: Beginner

Class size: 25

Prerequisites: No prerequisites

Trace the roots of the horror genre and begin crafting a story of your own. In this seminar, award-winning author and lifelong horror fan Nino Cipri will guide students through the process of writing horror, from generating ideas to the final revision and submission process.

Website: https://www.atlasobscura.com/experiences/horror-writing-c...

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

July, 2024

Price:

$225.00

Online course

Level: Any

Class size: 30

Prerequisites: No prerequisites

Working Characters

GrubStreet

In this seminar, we will read writing samples Karen Bender, Jim Shepard, Zadie Smith, Lucia Berlin, and Raymond Carver, which exemplify the ways work influences our characters' lives, decisions, and perceptions. We will also write together from an extended prompt which brings the work-a-day world into our stories.

Website: https://grubstreet.org/seminar/working-characters-fa24

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

September, 2024

Price:

$85.00

Based in Boston

In this craft session, we’ll analyze key passages from fiction in order to answer questions such as: What’s the difference between backstory and flashback? Are there artful ways to use these techniques that help the reader understand your character’s central motivation?

Website: https://grubstreet.org/seminar/backstory-and-flashback-fa24

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

September, 2024

Price:

$75.00

Based in Boston

Level: Any

Class size: 12

Prerequisites: Come prepared to write, and bring a brief one to two paragraph description of your project.

4-Week: Flash Prose

Lighthouse Writers Workshop

In this class, we’ll look at what puts the flash in flash fiction and nonfiction, examining topics such as urgency, intensity, movement, and more. Through readings, discussion, and exercises, we’ll explore the paradoxical expansiveness of short-form writing and invite its breadth and depth into our work.

Website: https://lighthousewriters.org/workshop/4-week-flash-prose...

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

September, 2024

Price:

$240.00

Based in Denver

Level: Any

Class size: Limited

Prerequisites: No prerequisites

Readers love variety, especially at the sentence level. In this fast-paced session for absolute beginners and pros in need of a refresher, we'll explore periodic sentences, fragments, parataxis, parallelism, anaphora, epiphora, assonance, juxtaposition, ambiguity, and more.

Website: https://loft.org/classes/fiction-basics-creative-language

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

August, 2024

Price:

$55.00

Based in Minneapolis

Level: Any

Class size: Limited

Prerequisites: No prerequisites

In this 2-hour course, we’ll borrow inspirations from poetic forms, genre conventions such as time limited devices, and learn six common traditional and unconventional story structures by weighing the risks and rewards of each form.

Website: https://www.storystudiochicago.org/classes/classes/form-c...

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

September, 2024

Price:

$65.00

Based in Chicago

Level: Beginner

Class size: Limited

Prerequisites: No prerequisites

Crafting Your Life into Story

The Writer's Center

Learn how to identify several pivotal events of your life and shape one of them into a work of fiction or non-fiction. Following a tried-and-true formula, you will learn how to identify, begin, and structure an autobiographical story.

Website: https://writer.org/event/crafting-your-life-into-story/

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

September, 2024

Price:

$100.00

Based in Washington

Level: Beginner

Class size: Limited

Prerequisites: No prerequisites

Short Story I

The Writer's Center

Learn dialogue, develop characters, use point of view, learn to read analytically, and polish your work to send it out! This workshop will teach participants how to edit other’s work, read like a writer, scrutinize sentences, and how to submit to magazines.

Website: https://writer.org/event/short-story-i-2/

Categories: Short Story

Start date:

August, 2024

Price:

$380.00

Based in Washington

Level: Beginner

Class size: Limited

Prerequisites: No prerequisites

How to choose a short story writing class

Looking to build your writing skillset, learn more about your genre, or finally finish that short story article you’ve been working on? You’re in the right place. That’s why we built this directory of the best writing courses.

However, creative writing classes aren’t one size fit all. If you’re planning to join a short story writing class in particular, you’ll want to make sure that it matches what you’re seeking to learn about short story writing.

So make sure to consider the following questions when you’re researching short story writing courses:

  • Who is the instructor? How many years of experience do they have in short story writing?
  • Is there something in particular you’d like to learn about short story writing? Does this course include it?
  • How long is the course, and where is it taught?
  • How much does the short story writing course cost? Does it fit into your budget?

More short story writing resources

Whether you’re a new or established author, there are always evergreen resources out there to how to get a headstart on short story writing. 

Free online materials

Recommended books

 

Try our novel writing master class — 100% free

Sign up for a free video lesson and learn how to make readers care about your main character.