Your Black Pen

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story in the form of a top-ten list.... view prompt

46 comments

Fiction Middle School

Warning: Thereโ€™s one guy whoโ€™s gay, so if youโ€™re uncomfortable with that, feel free to leave. Thanks :)

Ten - Lukas

Lukas was a nice guy. You sometimes look at him in class, and thirty percent of the time, he glances and smiles at you. Heโ€™s too innocent.

One morning, you were early for school. Your mom had a business meeting, so she dropped you off at seven thirty-five when it started at eight. You decided to watch the basketball players, who were the only students that were there. You realized one of the players was Lukas, and you decided to wave.

He gave you a half-smile. Then he threw the ball in the hoop. At least, he attempted to.

โ€œLukas, you never missed one!โ€ one of the guys complained. You soften, giving him a pity smile. Lukas's expression changed immediately. He scowled.

โ€œSorry, man. Itโ€™s the girlโ€™s fault. She distracted me,โ€ he replied. You were shocked, and suddenly tingling shivers crept over you. Your heart sank. He wasnโ€™t as nice as you thought heโ€™d be.

You left.

Nine โ€“ Aaron

Aaron was good-looking. He was one of the nine guys who had highlights in your grade. You found highlights attractive.

He sometimes wore glasses, but most of the time he wore contacts. He looks best with a red shirt, you decided. He was kind of short if you put him next to all of the other guys, but still, heโ€™s an inch taller than you.

The next day, you found out that you and Aaron were chosen to help out in the library after school! You were shaking at first, but you felt some adrenaline that rushed in your body, that somehow made you thrilled.

He was there first, but he didnโ€™t look up when you came.

โ€œHi,โ€ you said awkwardly. You instantly regretted it, thinking he was texting. You leaned closer. He was playing a video game.

โ€œHey.โ€ He still didnโ€™t turn his head. โ€œWhen youโ€™re done with the books, call me.โ€

โ€œI donโ€™t have your number,โ€ you answered quickly.

He finally stopped to stare at you. โ€œI meant tell me.โ€ Your brain shook your head at yourself. But then, you realized he wanted you to do all the work, while he was on his phone. Your eyes widened, but you obeyed, determined to impress him.

But in the end, he walked away.

Eight โ€“ Mitch

In third grade, Mitch stole your eraser and denied it, even though you witnessed it. You tried to get it back, but he reported it to the teacher, which gave you two days of lunch in the classroom alone.

In fourth grade, he sat behind you and kept pushing his seat backward. Your back was soreย day after day.

In sixth grade, he ran against you during the school election. He became vice president.

You decided to skip him. She crossed out his name hard, going side to side until his name disappeared in the ink.

Seven โ€“ Will

You didnโ€™t know Will that well. You checked his social media at midnight, and you instantly decided to skip him.

He was gay.

You leaned closer and scrolled. He was dating someone named Kayden. Thatโ€™s your best friendโ€™s brother.

Six โ€“ Leo

Leo was in your class since elementary school. He was a decent soccer player. You donโ€™t like soccer much, but every time he kicked, your eyebrows fly up high. He was an Asian, Filipino, and he wore blue and sometimes neon green. You were partners with him in the science fair in sixth grade.

You thought about it for a moment. You couldnโ€™t imagine dating someone like Leo. He deserved someone as athletic as him, someone who loved to sweat in a tank top and smell every day. Someone like Melissa Kent, you recalled. Melissa Kent was a swimmer and tennis player. Sheโ€™d be perfect for him.

You shook your head and went to the next one, crossing out his name with a black pen.

Five โ€“ Ethan

Ethan was the kind of guy who wore caps every day. He had a plain and dark backpack, and he was a gamer. He was nothing but a gamer.

You love video games. You found out he played Call of Duty, which disappointed you. Your mom never would have let you played it.

He sometimes played Minecraft. You were still disappointed. You decided to skip, crossing out his name.

Four โ€“ Colt

You sat in the same row as Colt in homeroom. He was smart, especially in math, but was a sloppy artist. He sometimes wore a hat, and a green shirt too. You knew Colt wouldnโ€™t focus much on relationships, considering he was more of an academics guy. Still, he was friendly and innocent and was great at being social. He was the kind of guy everyone loves.

You hesitated. You didnโ€™t cross him out. You left his name there, empty, like a sky of nothing but bright altostratus clouds.

Three โ€“ Sebastian

Sebastian was odd. He puts milk before his cereal, saying that makes it more crunchy and flavorful. He doesnโ€™t like soggy cereal.

You thought, I donโ€™t like soggy cereal. But that doesnโ€™t stop me from putting in cereal before the milk.

He was assigned partners with you for a short math project last month. He kept talking with his friends behind him in one of the four yoga balls the classroom had. Sebastian never did that to be mean, he just gets distracted easily. You learned to be patient with him.

In music class, he sat a few seats diagonal from you. He kept hiding behind the curtains, which sidetracked you and a few of your classmates.

Sebastian wasnโ€™t trying to be funny. He had a disorder, but still, he was a trustworthy friend. You decided to leave his name blank. In your mind, though, his name was crossed out with the pen.

Two โ€“ Calum

Calum loves cross country. He was one of the fastest runners in eighth grade.

Again, you didnโ€™t want someone athletic. You sighed, because none of them was a match so far.

You crossed it out with the blank pen. It was running out of ink.

One โ€“ Nehemiah

You remembered Nehemiah. He was shy, with his dark, raven hair and dimples on each side of his cheek. The last time you saw him, he was wearing basketball shorts. He was great at sketching, you discovered, and he hated ice cream. He was allergic to gluten, peanuts, and many dairy products.

You got out your yearbook from freshman year. He was skinny. You crossed him out with the dark ink. Not because he hated ice cream, or was allergic to dairy, or because he was skinny. You just had a feeling he wasnโ€™t the right one.

Never did you realize he gave you the pen.

You looked at the list over and over. Without hesitating, you got out a red marker and crossed each one out again, hard, creating holes. You decided that wasnโ€™t enough. Using your fingers, you ripped it into a hundred pieces.

You left the pieces on the ground.

December 30, 2020 20:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

46 comments

Rayhan Hidayat
04:08 Jan 02, 2021

Iโ€™ve never seen a warning like that before, gave me a good chuckle ๐Ÿ˜‚ So many options, and still she canโ€™t decide. Iโ€™m thinking maybe boys just arenโ€™t for her ๐Ÿค” A fun read, anyway!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

First time writing 2nd POV. Please heavily critique me. Some of these guys are based on the ones Iโ€™ve met in my schools. Their names in this story, however, are fictional, and the events didnโ€™t happen in real life.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Coco Longstaff
23:29 Dec 31, 2020

Wow. That was an interesting read. It was also a nice way to build up a story. Soooo good, my eyes were glued to the screen. I love it

Reply

Coco Longstaff
23:29 Jan 01, 2021

Of course!๐Ÿ’•

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

This was such a creative story! I loved it! I thought your 2nd POV was great!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Amaya .
02:08 Jan 03, 2021

hi!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Kendraaaaaa your backkkkk! Lol, I'm so late ik ik. But I wasn't on here that much since like two days ago and I just found your page. You probably don't remember me but I joined reedsy not long before you left it!! You were literally my favourite author on hereeeee. yay your backkkkkkkkk

Reply

Show 0 replies
03:50 Dec 31, 2020

Wow! I love this one! Super-duper creative!! Love the descriptions and the idea. Also that passive aggressive A/N is just awesome lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ Great jobbbb!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Crows_ Garden
15:36 Mar 30, 2022

Quite an interesting read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ariel Niforatos
17:12 Aug 02, 2021

What a creative way to use this prompt!

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:35 Jul 06, 2021

I misssss youuuuuuuu

Reply

samee bru i only came here to get some inspo for my writing assignment at school cant believe how long its been๐Ÿ˜“

Reply

14:15 Jul 17, 2021

Ooooop but ngl thatโ€™s a good idea XD Hullo!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:50 Jul 03, 2021

What's with your bio, is there a problem?

Reply

Oh no, lol, its been so long but im pretty sure it was a joke and the yt link led to a rickroll vid haha

Reply

10:05 Jul 18, 2021

Ah, because the link told me nothing. Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
03:33 Mar 13, 2021

โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR...

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
04:00 Mar 07, 2021

Hey

Reply

Show 0 replies
11:14 Mar 05, 2021

This is awesome!! Great job I loved it!! Just one thing though, when writing in 2nd person try to make sure that you donโ€™t say you too much. I know itโ€™s hard but try and go like this, tearing the pieces up, you stood and stared them down. Or something like that. Otherwise it can be a bit repetitive. But honestly this was an awesome story amazing job ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Reply

Show 0 replies

Amazing job Kendra! I love the format of the prompt, like the reader themself is reading off a list. The ending surprised me, there was a part of me that was expecting her to choose the last and "best" guy on the list, but I really like the way you ended up taking it. Overall a nice, lighthearted read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
06:57 Feb 22, 2021

Hey

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jexica Marcell
19:00 Feb 19, 2021

I read your bio, and I loved how kind you are!!!! Also, this story is just amazing. It was funny too!! keep writing please!!!! i need more!! -Jex

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
06:34 Jan 23, 2021

heya

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nainika Gupta
21:50 Jan 18, 2021

SUCH a fun read...and that warning??? AHAHAH spat out my hot cocoa all over my computer (we're fine :) amazing job!!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.