139 comments

Fiction Funny

BRUEGGER'S IS A REAL PLACE. THEY MAKE GREAT BAGELS.



Walk time. Time to butcher my feet on the streets of Boston while giving the dog a good time. Just my luck that everyone else rushed to buy boots before I did. 


“Come on, Jill. Oh, for the love of God, will you move your feet?” I hate my grandmother’s dog. Jill is flabby, old, an evil genius, lazy, mean… no one knows that more than I do. Still, I walked her to the McGill park every morning, without fail. I’m too good for her.


“Gran, I’m home!” The poisoning smell of earl grey clogged up my nostrils like it was solid rock. It was almost as if the smell had squatter’s rights. It never left despite my desperate squirts of Febreze. The oven was still cooking my pizza, but it smelled a little bit on the burnt side. Oh well; three cheers for fire!


I swung the door back into its hinges. Snow kept piling up in the crack of the side, and the bucket underneath seemed full, so I hurried to dump it out before shoving it back in its corner. Gran was sitting in her bedroom, rocking back and forth under a pile of mismatched wool blankets. I’d made those blankets for my bed, but what Gran needed I could do nothing to stop from disappearing. A teapot was next to her bookshelf, steaming up the room. 


“Oh, you’re back already!” Gran said, reaching out to give me a kiss on the cheek. She smelled of cinnamon, a smell I tried to hold in my nostrils for as long as possible before inhaling. I made her bed while she flipped through the pages of her Bible, muttering to herself the phrases she didn’t understand. A warmth filled my heart; I could never stay mad at that angel. She was just too darn sweet. 


“Semolina, wh-what does this mean?” Gran ushered me over and I peered at the weathered pages of her only reading material. This was how our evenings always went, reading the Bible in the pale light and the horrid stench of earl grey. God, I hate that tea.


The rest of our family was halfway across the county, living it up in Lexington without the burden of their dear Granny. That jerk Johnny was probably trying to get a girl to go home with him, unconsciously awaiting the inevitable drink in his face and slap. Jane was probably living it up in the sewers somewhere, trying to convince herself that her life was great. Not that it mattered to me.


In Boston, the weather was stark cold. Everyone lived in a mini-North pole, snow cluttering the hearts and windows of the citizens. The Bruegger’s Bagels were everywhere, warm dough melting the frigid mornings and giving a tangy taste to everyone’s mouth when they went to work.


When I awoke in the morning, a plate with burnt pizza crusts at my bedside, my hair had plastered to my face like dried clay. I had to peel it off bit by bit. Gran and her tea were probably awaiting me downstairs, so I took my sweet time getting ready. It was time for me to walk Jill again. Jeez, yesterday had passed in the blink of an eye! I walked the dog, got a bagel or two, and then poof! Gone. Well, time’s fickle.


“Gran, do you wanna try eggs on your Brueggers?” The dark brown of my bruised jacket, bloodied with lint and stains, was plastered over my pale white shirt. That jacket was the only thing I had left of my time in Lexington, of my family and their zombie wine bottles. My mom had bought me it, yes, a while ago when I had a future. Yet another thing I left behind, I guess. 


I remember the Nordstrom where I’d bought it, my hoity-toity clothes weighing down on my stilettos. The mall was a battleground, a fight to the death over rip-off clothes and jewelry that was so valuable. I laughed every time I thought about it, the pretentious heiresses like knights spearing anyone in their way as they fought for their treasure. How my Mom had ever convinced me to drive all the way there to haggle, I don’t know. 


“Gran?” I sighed, my face contorting in a guise of indignation. Of course, I’d forgotten to set her alarm. Well, time to wrangle the bull that was my grandmother out of her silk bed and into her chair. 


Gran’s bedroom was wrapped up in a storm of pastel, the light greens almost sickening to behold day after day. She was a corpse, sleeping with no care or concern in the grave of her bed. I knocked her head a couple of times, shook her a little.


“Gran, it's time to get up. Yeah, that’s it, Gran. Come on. What do you want from Brueggers?” She mumbled a little, pushing her frail frame onto her headboard. Gran needed some time to compose herself in the morning before she was ever able to talk. Her mouth was dry; she needed water to coax the words out. Her hands were creaky; she needed me to knead them out a little. I don’t know why I expect anything different every morning. She just needed me, and there was nothing I could do about it. Seeing my kind Gran reduced to an old woman made my heart cry in despair, but time had no favorites, not even her. 


Sometimes I like to think about what would happen to Gran if I left her. Well, no, that’s a bad choice of words. More like it motivates me each day, brings me out of my funk and coaxes me to kindness for her. Each morning, I doubt my choices. I go through them one by one like apples in a basket, as I try to find anything wrong with them. Despite the constant sinking feeling, I regret nothing.


After I fetched the bagels, I trudged along through the streets with Jill hooked to the end of my leash. She pulled like I was dragging her to her death, never to return, but in truth she was just spiteful. I kicked her a couple of times, let her whine at my totalitarian dog walking. There was a group of young college boys walking past me, their shirt tails wagging like Jill’s tail behind them. One of them whistled at me just before I was out of earshot, and I whirled around to face them on the slick sidewalk. 


“What do you think you’re doing?” I stared into their smug eyes, bored into their souls.


“Well, I whistled. That isn’t a crime, as far as I’m concerned.” The boy couldn’t seem to focus on my eyes. I snapped a couple of times, like I would with Gran to make sure she’s awake.


“You’re disgusting.” I walked away, forced myself to let it go as my Nordstrom jacket hung to me like wet sandpaper. I was just about to rid myself of their stupid faces when the boy whistled again. That was it for me, the bubbles overflowing in my head. I started to steam and threw my bagel at their heads. That should be enough. Cold air flowed through my nostrils as I cooled down. I thought of Johnny in his little hellhole and smiled. Hopefully they were rotting more than I was.


The McGill park was especially beautiful today, the birch trees at the edge of the playground meeting the sun and filtering it through the leaves. I looked down at the gravel and felt it crunch against my worn feet. Snow still piled on the side, but I didn’t care. I was eating a bagel, and that was what mattered. Dang, Bruegger’s made amazing bagels. 


I was passing the square, all the clothing stores suffocating me and making me want to buy more clothes. Maybe I couldn’t help it; maybe the stores made me do it; maybe it was the dog; Still, I left the dog tied to a bench and walked into a North Face, the cold air and smell of latex hitting me straight in the face. 


Immediately, I gravitated towards the jacket section, swarmed by the lovely colors and the ugly ones too. Green looks horrible on jackets, in case you didn’t know. It's the same with red for some reason. Sometimes you just can’t help but hate certain colors, even if you don’t know why. 


The one my eye settled on was a pale blue, pastel like Gran’s bedroom and beautifully simplistic. I felt the soft fleece underside, falling in love more and more by the minute. Well, did I even have enough money to get it? Fishing in the pockets of my worn Nordstrommer, it suddenly hit me. Was I ready to give it up? I mean, don’t get me wrong, I hate my mom and past with a vengeance. There’s nowhere I’d rather be but Boston. Still, there were some good times, right? I remembered Jane...


“Hey, Semolina, where’s the cookie jar?” Jane was reaching with all her might to the top shelf. I hopped above her head and grabbed it down for my younger sister. 


“Do you want M&M or Chocolate chips?” I asked. She already knew the answer, as did I, and I handed her a cookie speckled with chocolate chips. She greedily munched into it, letting a bit of chocolate dribble down her little chin. 


“Come here.” I gave her a little hug and we snuggled under the kitchen counter, the cookies giving us a bit of a sugar high. 


Those were good times, back when Jane and I were young. We used to be inseparable, I remembered. I was always angry at her though, always a little ticked off. Ah, that’s it. Here, listen to the rest of the memory...


The next day, after we’d giggled about our little antics, our mom held up the empty jar. We both were wide-eyed, concealing as best we could our guilt.


“Who ate the cookies?” Our mom was always of the mind that she’d dig up the truth, that she could see right through us with her mom-magic.


“...Semolina did it!” Jane pointed at me. I gasped for a second and stared straight at her, looking at her unapologetic face.


Jane never cared about anyone else. Not even me, not even at the height of our relationship. At a time, I think I stopped expecting it. I stopped expecting anything else but disappointment from my family. I guess there weren’t many good times after all.


Colorful jackets were everywhere, beautiful and horrible and lovely and disgusting. Should I buy something for Gran? Did I have enough money? In my pocket I seemed to have $100 at the most, so maybe that'd be enough.


"Miss, can I help you?" I shook my head fervently at the cashier at the right side of the store. I would find what I wanted on my own, even if I didn't know what it was.


I shifted onto one foot, stretching above the high shelf to see if they hid the good stuff away from everyone, like most of these stores did. Sure enough, when I shuffled around with my cold hands for a little while, I found a beautiful red sweater, wool and fluffy to touch. It was like holding a sheep in my hands. Gran would love this.


"Hey, dude, I'm ready to check out," I said to the employee on the south side of the shoe-fitting section. He looked around for a little, seeming caught off guard, but then reluctantly walked the path to the register. I knew I wasn't a good customer. In fact, I was quite a bad one. That would just be something they'd have to deal with, though.


Throwing the sweater and teal jacket on the glass register with a clink from the zipper, I stood back and let him do his job. My phone seemed to glow in my pocket, inviting me to play a mobile game or two. I knew what happened to me when I played those games, though. I got addicted and couldn't stop merging candy. Hurriedly grabbing my purchases before I was tempted to, I ran out of the store without so much as a 'thanks' to the cash register.


When the cold air hit my face once again, I shivered like a reverberating string. Poor Jill, out here in the snow and frost all this time. My pure moment of sympathy drifted away with a laugh, and I realized how little I cared. I untied Jill, and she and I reached the edge of the legion of stores, the park only just peeking out. She looked at me with hatred, and I couldn’t help but reciprocate. 


“Well, I guess this is goodbye, Mom. Bye, Jane, Johnny, everyone.” I threw my old coat in the trash can, throwing most of my life away, and never looked back.


February 03, 2021 22:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

139 comments

Radhika Diksha
17:14 Feb 05, 2021

Shout out writer IVY HATHERALL https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/ivy-hatherall/ FRANCES https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/frances/ Shout out story https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/78/submissions/52220/ {This story is amazing. A must read} This week's list. Please do read their stories and give them feedback. It will boost their confidence and give them a nice moral support

Reply

. .
17:27 Feb 05, 2021

THANKS YOU!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
17:14 Feb 05, 2021

Shout out writer IVY HATHERALL https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/ivy-hatherall/ FRANCES https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/frances/ Shout out story https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/78/submissions/52220/ {This story is amazing. A must read} This week's list. Please do read their stories and give them feedback. It will boost their confidence and give them a nice moral support

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya W.
03:16 Feb 04, 2021

BAGELS! Okay, now that's that's out of the way, nice story! I love your writing style, and how you characterized the protagonist. Also, BAGELS. My only real critique is that the ending felt slightly rushed. Maybe revise it a little? Also, new story out!

Reply

. .
12:49 Feb 04, 2021

BAGELS. Ok, I'll try to revise it a little!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
02:48 Feb 04, 2021

Hey amazing job one thing...earl gray should be capitalized, I'm sure... and BAGELS I personally love cinnamon crunch ones...with honey walnut cream cheese...mmm yummy XD this was really funny with the right amount of humor, emotion, and overall a well-balanced story!

Reply

. .
12:49 Feb 04, 2021

Oh yeahhhh I need to capitalize it XD I'm a savory bagel dude, like egg bagels and stuff. Awww thanks!!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
13:33 Feb 04, 2021

ahah no problem!! and oooooh I can see that!! although egg bagels?? personalment...je n'aime pas les bagels oeuf.

Reply

. .
13:57 Feb 04, 2021

XDXDXD Welpppppppp to each their own

Reply

Nainika Gupta
13:59 Feb 04, 2021

XDXDXD I, unfortunatly don't have bruegger's but we do have panera loll XD and a bunch of bagel places!! BUT bagels are delish!!

Reply

. .
14:01 Feb 04, 2021

Ugh XD I remember eating so much brueggers when I used to live in boston, and just my luck that there was one where I moved

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Um... Can I ask you some thing?

Reply

. .
23:19 Feb 24, 2021

Ofc!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
17:28 Feb 07, 2021

NEW STORY!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nainika Gupta
00:29 Feb 06, 2021

NEW STORY!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Coco Longstaff
11:36 Feb 05, 2021

Oooo nice! I like how you added a completely different topic (the Brueggers Bagels) and made it a better story. YESSSS BAGELS! Oh so the main character has a good relationship with its gran? Nice. I wish I did. But I dont get to see her cause of Covid, you know.😓 Anyway, nice story!

Reply

. .
12:58 Feb 05, 2021

Thanks youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!! Aw, yeah, that sucks. Mine's halfway across the country :( Thanks youuu!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:41 Feb 04, 2021

WOWOWOWOW! AWESOME!!! BAGELS. BEST THINGS EVER. XD I LARBED IT! ;D

Reply

. .
19:50 Feb 04, 2021

XD THANKS YOUUUUUUU

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
16:09 Feb 04, 2021

NEW STORY! COLLAB WITH MAYA EMMERSON!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amany Sayed
04:38 Feb 04, 2021

Ah, a lighthearted story! I loved it, Luke. And--as a quick internet search has provided me-- there's a Brueggers relatively near where I live. Maybe I can try it some day :) Keep writing!

Reply

. .
12:45 Feb 04, 2021

YAS EAT BRUEGGERS THEY MAKE THE BEST BAGELSSSSSSS!!!! Thanks you Amany!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:19 Feb 04, 2021

I was in a pretty bad mood (hint: it was because of Pinterest and its sad fandom content and toxic people and hate comments and book spoilers), but this made me smile and laugh. I loved the flashbacks (ever since the book The Son Of Neptune and Hazel's flashbacks of her own life, I loved flashbacks) and I always like a good mess-up family situation. (Also, I'd have to admit, I really like the name Semolina.) Keep it up!

Reply

. .
00:59 Feb 04, 2021

Thank you so much!!!! Aw that’s so swwwweeeeeweeeweeewt!!!! I don’t know why I thought of it but Semolina is a type of pasta and I was just like YAS.

Reply

01:12 Feb 04, 2021

yw! and Semolina is a type of pasta? naming your character after that is hilarious 😂😂 imagine the bullying Semolina might've one through in middle school

Reply

. .
12:50 Feb 04, 2021

Yerp it isssssss XDDDDDD

Reply

12:57 Feb 04, 2021

XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
15:52 Mar 28, 2021

Loved this story to the hilt. You are a very good writer. The ending line, besides a few other ones were memorable.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
14:35 Feb 09, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

. .
14:36 Feb 09, 2021

YAS BAGELSSSSSSSSS!!!!! Thanks you!!!

Reply

Unknown User
14:46 Feb 09, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

. .
14:47 Feb 09, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
16:58 Feb 06, 2021

Ohmigosh Mira got downvoted a lot :(((

Reply

. .
17:01 Feb 06, 2021

I knowwwwww and I was downvoted 2000 two days agoooo

Reply

Maya -
17:22 Feb 06, 2021

DDDDDDDD:

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
14:43 Feb 06, 2021

Oop, also I forgot, what weapon?

Reply

. .
14:45 Feb 06, 2021

Daggers!!

Reply

Maya -
14:45 Feb 06, 2021

Okey! XD Happy Saturday!

Reply

. .
14:48 Feb 06, 2021

You too!!! Imma post a war story sometime today, so I'll tell you!!!

Reply

Maya -
14:48 Feb 06, 2021

Okay! I'm really excited to read it!!! :D

Reply

. .
14:49 Feb 06, 2021

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE I can't wait to finish it XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
05:43 Feb 06, 2021

If you would like to be in the first part of my new reedsy-cast series could you fill out this form? :) https://forms.gle/GYJ6V5zaU7mQct5v5

Reply

Show 0 replies
Megan Sutherland
21:44 Feb 05, 2021

Hey, do you want to play Among Us?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya -
20:58 Feb 05, 2021

Are you in our game Luke? Just curious cause there's an anonymous person and Saph thought it might be you.

Reply

. .
21:34 Feb 05, 2021

Nope

Reply

Maya -
21:38 Feb 05, 2021

Oop okay XD There are so many spammers, now I think the anonymous person was Isaac, though. XDD

Reply

. .
21:43 Feb 05, 2021

That suckssssssssss

Reply

Maya -
21:45 Feb 05, 2021

Lol it's fine. I don't even know when my own brother is the anonymous person. XDDDD haha How's your day been and how is your story coming along?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
19:00 Feb 05, 2021

NEW STORY!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.