572 comments

Fantasy Teens & Young Adult

I had recently turned sixteen years old about a week ago or so, my mother was already telling me that there were a lot of jobs I could do now. She was even telling me a lot of the jobs when I was around twelve years old.


I wasn't planning on getting a job anytime soon though, I don't even think anyone would want to hire me. It would probably just be a waste of time to apply for one.


Though, somehow, about three days ago I got something in the mail. "What's so strange about that?" You may ask, well it was apparently a job offer. I haven't told my mother about it yet, I'm probably not going to do the job anyway.


What I had found was a letter which read, "Dear Scarlett, we've been looking into teenagers your age for the past couple of weeks to see who would best fit our job, we believe you are the perfect one. After the recent and sudden passing of the previous watcher, we would love for you to be the new Dragon watcher."


Even though my mother probably wouldn't find this out, or at least for a while, I already have a feeling about what she would tell me. "Honey, you should go get the job! it would be the perfect job, and after all, you've always loved Dragons."


I knew she would be right about that or anything she'd say though, ever since I was around five years old, little me had always adored dragons.


It was the middle of the night though, and basically, everything was closed. I'd have to wait until sometime in the morning to go to the place, and that's exactly what I'll do now. Huh, that was a quick change in mind.


"Scarlett, breakfast is ready!"


It seems like my mother had made pancakes and scrambled eggs, my favorite type of food! well anyway, once I finish eating and all that, I should probably tell her that I'm gonna take the job.


Once I got downstairs into the kitchen, she was already at the table and eating some toast, she never liked any of that other stuff but only made it for me. "Dig in kiddo!" she told me with a smile.


That's exactly what I did after reaching the kitchen and the breakfast table, and believe it or not, I managed to eat everything in about ten seconds total. This wasn't the first time this happened, though my mother stared at me with a total look of shock and surprise.


"My my...um...I'm guessing you're really hungry again, right kiddo?"


"Yep, I have a big day ahead of me."


She ate the rest of the toast that was on her plate before asking me, "Big day? well, what are you going to do today Scarlett?"


I put a finger up as I then quickly rush upstairs and then come back down to her with the job offer. "Read this Mom, I think you'll enjoy it." I handed her the paper.


I had begun to clean up the table while she was reading it when she then suddenly squealed like a school girl seeing a spider or something. "Do you like it?"


"Like it? Honey this is so exciting! when are you going to go there?"


"I'm actually going to go right now, Mom."


The rest of the time at the house was a bit of a blur, I think mother wanted to pick my clothes out for the job though, just this once. It was kind of funny.


I finally reached the large dull building about fifteen minutes later, I could see a woman in purple waiting for me. "Um, hello there...I am Scarlett, its nice to meet you."


The woman smiled as she held out her hand and then said, "I'm Eve, its nice to meet you as well Scarlett, I knew you would come for the job."


"Um Eve, are you supposed to interview me or something for the job?"


"No you got it all wrong dear, you just had to show up now you don't have to have an interview or anything like that, you already got the job."


I was going to tell her something else, though before I could she gave me some keys and then drove off in her car. I'm guessing that the keys are for the building.


I unlocked the door to the building with the key she gave me, so I guess I was right about that part. The building seemed extremely big and tall with many rooms, though I could already see where they wanted me to be.


The door to where I had to be was at the end of a very long hallway, it almost looked like something you'd see in a horror movie. speaking of horror movies, why do almost all of them have these?


I swear, if something manages to escape then it'll really turn out to be like a horror movie. Though anyway, the key she gave me could unlock that door as well, was it for everything there?


In the room I entered, it didn't really like a room in a building at all, it almost looked like a type of forest or something. I'm not entirely sure how to describe it, though I was easily able to find something like a nest.


I looked into the nest, a tad bit confused, there was only one dragon in there (at least that's what another letter told me) and it was a male. The nest was incredibly small...it looked like it would have a baby or something.


Though that was exactly what was in the nest, a small red and gold dragon, it seemed to be asleep. I thought they had said that the dragon was full-grown, though that doesn't matter that much, it's still adorable.


What did matter was the type of dragon he was, there weren't that many of these ones anymore. They were endangered, people in the past kept thinking they were already extinct, I believe six times or something.


The little dragon then suddenly yawned and spread its wings, it turned to look at me almost like a curious little puppy. I carefully picked him up, which he actually seemed to enjoy.


He climbed up onto my head and lay there, I had to be really careful though, I didn't want something happening to the little one. "Don't worry, I'll keep you safe..."

December 15, 2020 01:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

572 comments

B. W.
01:24 Dec 15, 2020

I'm terribly sorry if this story seems a bit rushed or just...different in a way. Though I do hope that you all like this one.

Reply

Show 0 replies

This was such a cute story! It was so informative, even if it all came just about 1,000 words! Great job!

Reply

B. W.
02:28 Dec 15, 2020

thanks, did ya maybe have a favorite part or anything like that?

Reply

I really liked the ending. Also, I have a serious question, are you being attacked by downvoters recently? I've lost a lot of points and got many dislikes, so I just want to ask. I don't like adding these things in my bio to get more publicity, but I'm tired of loosing my points. :(

Reply

B. W.
02:53 Dec 15, 2020

would ya wanna see another part of it or something? and yeah, I guess I sort of have been

Reply

Show 0 replies
✨Abby ✨
03:30 Dec 15, 2020

Sorry for butting in, but I have been downvoted like crazy. They kept doing it until I had 0 points.

Reply

B. W.
05:16 Dec 15, 2020

they have?

Reply

✨Abby ✨
05:19 Dec 15, 2020

Ya then you and I think her name was Raquel (ugh im So bad at names) got me back up 100 🥺🥺🥺

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
13:21 Dec 16, 2020

OMG B YOU GOT DOWNVOTED LIKE 2000 POINTS!!!!!!!!! I'M GONNA GET YOU BACK TO 4!!!!

Reply

B. W.
16:46 Dec 16, 2020

Wait what??

Reply

. .
16:47 Dec 16, 2020

You were at 6 and I got you back to 4

Reply

B. W.
16:47 Dec 16, 2020

what do you mean by that? I was at 6 and you got me to 4?

Reply

. .
16:48 Dec 16, 2020

You were at 6th place, with 12000 points, but Mira Ria and I helped get you back to 13500

Reply

B. W.
16:48 Dec 16, 2020

Oh, thank you ^^

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
13:52 Dec 16, 2020

Hi, B! Me, again. I just upvoted you cuz it looked like you got downvoted...

Reply

B. W.
16:48 Dec 16, 2020

I did?

Reply

Show 0 replies
✰ Jennie ✰
13:56 Dec 16, 2020

me toooooooooo Mira, LitLover, and Jennie will upvote ANYBODY and EVERYBODY who needs it!!!!!! tell us and you'll get automatic +3 upvotes for all of your posts

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:59 Dec 16, 2020

Yessssssssss!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Laiba M
00:13 Dec 16, 2020

Hi, Ri~ Do you want to do an upvote spree? I've just been downvoted 100-ish points.

Reply

B. W.
00:15 Dec 16, 2020

I'm not really sure, do you want 100 points or a bit more? or maybe lower?

Reply

Laiba M
00:35 Dec 16, 2020

Whatever's convenient for you :) Thank you so much!!

Reply

B. W.
00:46 Dec 16, 2020

No problem ^^ though can ya still help with the other stuff we were talking about? Like the thing with my story, I started the new thread

Reply

Laiba M
02:17 Dec 16, 2020

Sure!

Reply

B. W.
02:45 Dec 16, 2020

Could i just tell ya the scenario thing on this one? The scenario is that Evelyn is either sad or crying about something that happened, how would each animatronic react and what would they do?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amel Parvez
15:26 Dec 17, 2020

did you get the name for the dragon?

Reply

B. W.
16:51 Dec 17, 2020

still not yet

Reply

Amel Parvez
17:21 Dec 17, 2020

Umm..... Btw u r choosy☺ Anyways what about Inferno and Black-Fire

Reply

B. W.
17:25 Dec 17, 2020

what do ya mean?

Reply

Amel Parvez
17:31 Dec 17, 2020

I am suggesting you a name Inferno Black Fire And if u r asking about the first thing leave it. I hope u got the name of your baby dragons soon💙

Reply

B. W.
17:41 Dec 17, 2020

I sorta like Inferno a bit

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
15:04 Dec 17, 2020

Hey, Bee! I got a new story out, and even though it's cringe, could you check it out? ;)

Reply

B. W.
16:48 Dec 17, 2020

ye ^^

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
17:02 Dec 17, 2020

Thank you so much! :)

Reply

B. W.
17:03 Dec 17, 2020

no prob ^^

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
17:39 Dec 17, 2020

:)

Reply

B. W.
17:43 Dec 17, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
20:56 Dec 16, 2020

Hey, what's up? How are your novels going? Need any help? ;)

Reply

B. W.
21:12 Dec 16, 2020

I guess their going good

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
21:14 Dec 16, 2020

Oh, alright! So, how's your day going? I'm still waiting for the snow, lol :)

Reply

B. W.
21:15 Dec 16, 2020

I'm just kind of a bit tired, I tried sending the link for one of my stories to another friend, but it didn't work and I don't know what else to do.

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
21:16 Dec 16, 2020

Oh, same. Don't worry, maybe Reedsy will create a feature that can let you share with friends. Are you expecting snow too, or no?

Reply

B. W.
21:33 Dec 16, 2020

It actually did snow like 2 days ago or something here, it hasn't snowed in like 5 years or something.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philip Clayberg
02:38 Dec 16, 2020

I liked your story. The only regret I had was that it had to end. I wish I could read about how their friendship develops, how he takes care of the dragon, and where the dragon could be hidden as it grows until it reaches full size. I mean it's one thing to try to hide a VW Bug, but a full-grown dragon? Maybe the next story (if there is one) could be called something like "A Little Dragon Can Be Quite A Handful". And if there's a sequel to that, maybe call it, "How I Hid a Full-Sized Dragon". Especially if it's a fire-breather who some...

Reply

B. W.
02:50 Dec 16, 2020

"he" ? Scarlett is a girl, not a guy. I am already planning on there to be a sequel to this at some point, if there's ever a good prompt idea for one I could use and stuff. Though your correct about the thing with the dragon, he is a fire breather and would sometimes sneeze, it of course wouldn't be that bad when he was this small in the story though. I already have a LOT of ideas for the next parts of the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
✨Abby ✨
20:40 Dec 18, 2020

New thread

Reply

B. W.
20:41 Dec 18, 2020

I guess we have to think of the characters first

Reply

✨Abby ✨
20:50 Dec 18, 2020

Yea. We're doing the bird one right?

Reply

B. W.
21:20 Dec 18, 2020

I guess so

Reply

✨Abby ✨
21:24 Dec 18, 2020

Would you rather do a different one?

Reply

B. W.
21:31 Dec 18, 2020

nah its fine, could i do the POV of the bird?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

im about to read part two put a few things first - "speaking of horror movies". The s should be capitalized - "it didn't really like a room in a building" it sounds like you're missing a word thats all the minor critiques i have

Reply

B. W.
00:49 Jan 05, 2021

Thanks for pointing those out, but i don't think that I can fix them by now.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
18:14 Dec 21, 2020

This is so cute!!! The voice of the narrator really made the story flow well, and Scarlett is such a pretty name. I loved the job you made up, dragon watcher, it was so interesting to see what your main character would do for her new job. Also, I loved the description of like the forest inside the room where the dragon was. Excellent job!!! I'll go read part two now! :)

Reply

B. W.
19:21 Dec 21, 2020

Thanks, im glad that ya liked the story ^^ what did ya think of the little dragon and did ya have a favorite part or anything like that?

Reply

Maya -
19:22 Dec 21, 2020

I thought the dragon was absolutely adorable! :D My favorite part was probably when she met the dragon and went into the room where he lived. That part was really cool! :)

Reply

B. W.
19:23 Dec 21, 2020

I think this might be one of my favorite stories I've done to be honest

Reply

Maya -
19:24 Dec 21, 2020

Great! This story is really fun! Do you have a certain genre that is your favorite to write?

Reply

B. W.
19:43 Dec 21, 2020

Fantasy

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
06:54 Dec 20, 2020

Hi B, I know you have hurt me sometimes and, maybe I have hurt you sometimes. Let's leave all our bitterness and misunderstanding from now itself. I want us to jingle out our differences and let's be friends. I loved your bio, and we should do give people a chance to prove themselves. You are an amazing girl, who I know will become a great author someday. I like your initiative to clear the things between us and I feel that we do need each other for real cool stories and feedbacks. Let's start afresh, shall we?

Reply

B. W.
18:08 Dec 20, 2020

Uh sure, i dont really see why not and sure we can. I ain't that sure that ill become a great author or at least a well-known one, though that's kinda sweet ^^ I'm kinda working on 9 novels at the moment.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:10 Dec 20, 2020

great, its better to start rather than dreaming about it.

Reply

B. W.
18:11 Dec 20, 2020

The last time we actually talked was somewhere in November until now, right? I mostly just remember talking to ya on one of my stories.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:13 Dec 20, 2020

yep, you know you can lighten your mood by watching movies. I would recommend inside out. a Disney Pixar movie.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:16 Dec 20, 2020

well i would love your feedback on my stories, I know you are kind enough to give us 10/10 but I want to see what you liked sincerely the most.

Reply

Show 1 reply
B. W.
18:15 Dec 20, 2020

Have ya ever seen Wall-E? thats one of my favorites ^^

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
06:49 Dec 20, 2020

The story is amazing whereas the plot is smooth. I loved the character of Scarlet and will be shifting to the next part of the story soon. This is all I want to say about the story. Please don't ask me more.

Reply

B. W.
18:05 Dec 20, 2020

Thanks. There weren't really that good of prompts, at least the new ones that I thought were good enough for the second part or really any of my other things, but I just found one and kinda went with it. Though I'm glad ya liked it ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wirda Bibi
12:26 Dec 19, 2020

This is such a nice story. I liked it. Keep it up.

Reply

B. W.
16:19 Dec 19, 2020

thanks ^^ did ya have a favorite part?

Reply

Wirda Bibi
20:18 Dec 20, 2020

Well I was thinking of myself when Stella was eating as....you know 😉

Reply

Wirda Bibi
20:19 Dec 20, 2020

And yeah also the yawning of baby dragon was so cute😍😙

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
21:02 Dec 20, 2020

who?

Reply

Wirda Bibi
21:49 Dec 20, 2020

Can't understand. 😶

Reply

B. W.
21:49 Dec 20, 2020

You said "Stella" whos that? There was never a Stella in this story, Do you maybe mean Scarlett?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Estelle Westley
07:49 Dec 18, 2020

I am so pleased I got to read this. Thoroughly enjoyed and well written

Reply

B. W.
16:38 Dec 18, 2020

Thanks ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lucas Zhou
04:26 Dec 17, 2020

i really like the idea:)

Reply

B. W.
05:01 Dec 17, 2020

thanks, would ya wanna see another part?

Reply

Lucas Zhou
05:35 Dec 17, 2020

sure

Reply

B. W.
05:53 Dec 17, 2020

i can do that at some point then ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lucas Zhou
05:35 Dec 17, 2020

sure

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
22:32 Dec 16, 2020

Hi, B!!! Part 7 of TDR is out!!!

Reply

B. W.
22:36 Dec 16, 2020

Nice, ill check it out soon ^^ also, thanks for upvoting me earlier with someone else :)

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:36 Dec 16, 2020

np! :)

Reply

B. W.
22:39 Dec 16, 2020

Maybe ill upvote ya later or something ^^

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:40 Dec 16, 2020

Thank you in advance!!!!!! :)

Reply

B. W.
22:42 Dec 16, 2020

no prob

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laiba M
21:10 Dec 16, 2020

Hi!~ Just a refresher, you sent me the link for your story. It didn't work T-T

Reply

B. W.
21:13 Dec 16, 2020

Dang it, i dont know why it didn't work, any other ideas on what else I should do? maybe if I do something else it'll work.

Reply

Laiba M
02:50 Dec 17, 2020

I'm a bit confused and annoyed right now, as my reply button freezes when I click it, and it looks like the comment isn't posted. But when I refresh, there's like 3 or 6 duplicates of it, weird. Yeah, hmm. I don't know what else you could do.

Reply

B. W.
03:12 Dec 17, 2020

Thats going on with everyone, you can just press the reply button once and stuff, hopefully it'll be fixed tomorrow or something.

Reply

Laiba M
13:49 Dec 17, 2020

Ohh, okay, that makes sense. I was wondering why others' comments were duplicated as well~ Yep! That's what I've been doing~~

Reply

B. W.
16:44 Dec 17, 2020

How do ya think Freddy and Spring-Trap should speak? He's sort of been gentle like and calling Evelyn either "Darling" or "kiddo" though should there be anything else? and still what about SpringTrap?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✨Abby ✨
02:09 Dec 16, 2020

Heyyyy.... I'm bored 😒

Reply

B. W.
02:14 Dec 16, 2020

ya wanna talk then?

Reply

✨Abby ✨
02:14 Dec 16, 2020

Yeahhh

Reply

B. W.
02:15 Dec 16, 2020

what have ya been doing?

Reply

✨Abby ✨
02:16 Dec 16, 2020

School and riding. Nothing too exciting. U?

Reply

B. W.
02:38 Dec 16, 2020

Riding? riding what?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.