572 comments

Fantasy Teens & Young Adult

I had recently turned sixteen years old about a week ago or so, my mother was already telling me that there were a lot of jobs I could do now. She was even telling me a lot of the jobs when I was around twelve years old.


I wasn't planning on getting a job anytime soon though, I don't even think anyone would want to hire me. It would probably just be a waste of time to apply for one.


Though, somehow, about three days ago I got something in the mail. "What's so strange about that?" You may ask, well it was apparently a job offer. I haven't told my mother about it yet, I'm probably not going to do the job anyway.


What I had found was a letter which read, "Dear Scarlett, we've been looking into teenagers your age for the past couple of weeks to see who would best fit our job, we believe you are the perfect one. After the recent and sudden passing of the previous watcher, we would love for you to be the new Dragon watcher."


Even though my mother probably wouldn't find this out, or at least for a while, I already have a feeling about what she would tell me. "Honey, you should go get the job! it would be the perfect job, and after all, you've always loved Dragons."


I knew she would be right about that or anything she'd say though, ever since I was around five years old, little me had always adored dragons.


It was the middle of the night though, and basically, everything was closed. I'd have to wait until sometime in the morning to go to the place, and that's exactly what I'll do now. Huh, that was a quick change in mind.


"Scarlett, breakfast is ready!"


It seems like my mother had made pancakes and scrambled eggs, my favorite type of food! well anyway, once I finish eating and all that, I should probably tell her that I'm gonna take the job.


Once I got downstairs into the kitchen, she was already at the table and eating some toast, she never liked any of that other stuff but only made it for me. "Dig in kiddo!" she told me with a smile.


That's exactly what I did after reaching the kitchen and the breakfast table, and believe it or not, I managed to eat everything in about ten seconds total. This wasn't the first time this happened, though my mother stared at me with a total look of shock and surprise.


"My my...um...I'm guessing you're really hungry again, right kiddo?"


"Yep, I have a big day ahead of me."


She ate the rest of the toast that was on her plate before asking me, "Big day? well, what are you going to do today Scarlett?"


I put a finger up as I then quickly rush upstairs and then come back down to her with the job offer. "Read this Mom, I think you'll enjoy it." I handed her the paper.


I had begun to clean up the table while she was reading it when she then suddenly squealed like a school girl seeing a spider or something. "Do you like it?"


"Like it? Honey this is so exciting! when are you going to go there?"


"I'm actually going to go right now, Mom."


The rest of the time at the house was a bit of a blur, I think mother wanted to pick my clothes out for the job though, just this once. It was kind of funny.


I finally reached the large dull building about fifteen minutes later, I could see a woman in purple waiting for me. "Um, hello there...I am Scarlett, its nice to meet you."


The woman smiled as she held out her hand and then said, "I'm Eve, its nice to meet you as well Scarlett, I knew you would come for the job."


"Um Eve, are you supposed to interview me or something for the job?"


"No you got it all wrong dear, you just had to show up now you don't have to have an interview or anything like that, you already got the job."


I was going to tell her something else, though before I could she gave me some keys and then drove off in her car. I'm guessing that the keys are for the building.


I unlocked the door to the building with the key she gave me, so I guess I was right about that part. The building seemed extremely big and tall with many rooms, though I could already see where they wanted me to be.


The door to where I had to be was at the end of a very long hallway, it almost looked like something you'd see in a horror movie. speaking of horror movies, why do almost all of them have these?


I swear, if something manages to escape then it'll really turn out to be like a horror movie. Though anyway, the key she gave me could unlock that door as well, was it for everything there?


In the room I entered, it didn't really like a room in a building at all, it almost looked like a type of forest or something. I'm not entirely sure how to describe it, though I was easily able to find something like a nest.


I looked into the nest, a tad bit confused, there was only one dragon in there (at least that's what another letter told me) and it was a male. The nest was incredibly small...it looked like it would have a baby or something.


Though that was exactly what was in the nest, a small red and gold dragon, it seemed to be asleep. I thought they had said that the dragon was full-grown, though that doesn't matter that much, it's still adorable.


What did matter was the type of dragon he was, there weren't that many of these ones anymore. They were endangered, people in the past kept thinking they were already extinct, I believe six times or something.


The little dragon then suddenly yawned and spread its wings, it turned to look at me almost like a curious little puppy. I carefully picked him up, which he actually seemed to enjoy.


He climbed up onto my head and lay there, I had to be really careful though, I didn't want something happening to the little one. "Don't worry, I'll keep you safe..."

December 15, 2020 01:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

572 comments

19:01 Dec 15, 2020

Hi! I was able to connect with the story when I read the very first line! My parents started telling me to "be more responsible and start learning new things" once I reached 16-17 too! It was a cute and lovely story. The idea of a "Dragon Watcher" is quite interesting!

Reply

B. W.
19:02 Dec 15, 2020

Thanks, im glad ya liked it ^^ did you maybe have a favorite part in the story or anything like that?

Reply

19:09 Dec 15, 2020

Yes, I did! I found the idea of having jobs like "Dragon Watcher" creative, especially that moment when she held the dragon in her arms for the first time! It was so sweet!

Reply

B. W.
19:12 Dec 15, 2020

I always like doing Fantasy stories

Reply

19:15 Dec 15, 2020

Me too! I love fantasy and romance.

Reply

B. W.
19:15 Dec 15, 2020

Ive done some romance stories, but i suck at doing them

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aveena Bordeaux
18:08 Dec 15, 2020

Hey, BW. I really like this and the way it matches the prompt perfectly! Friendly critique : 1. You have a lot of "seemed" and "or something" throughout your story. Eliminating these or at least, the majority of them, will make this piece clear and concise. Ex, in this sentence, "The building seemed extremely big and tall with many rooms..." You would know if a building was big and tall just by looking, especially if you're on the inside, so seemed here is wordy and you could do without it. 2. I've read a couple of your other ...

Reply

B. W.
18:54 Dec 15, 2020

I always end up using those two words a lot for some reason and I don't know why, I guess its a habit a lot with some other words, though I can go and fix that, along with some of the other stuff you said ^^ I've been using Grammarly lately with my stories and it mostly works out, though it sometimes shows me the wrong thing and I forget to change it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amel Parvez
16:22 Dec 15, 2020

I liked it, the way your story flowed: so smoothly. And yes the best part, it was kinda cute the ending 'the little one'. It reminded me of a book I have read. Anyways, loved your story:)

Reply

B. W.
16:49 Dec 15, 2020

Thank you, im glad ya liked the story ^^ would ya ever want a second part to this or anything like that?

Reply

Amel Parvez
18:03 Dec 15, 2020

yeah! sure, why not? i would love to know how scarlett took care of the baby dragon without others suspicions. btw, you're welcome:)

Reply

B. W.
18:46 Dec 15, 2020

do ya have any name ideas for the baby dragon?

Reply

Amel Parvez
11:13 Dec 16, 2020

Firstly I am very grateful that you asked me my opinion. Secondly have u read Eragon? If u hv then let me know. Yes name . There goes: -Jura -Hírador -Fundor -Galzra -Briam -Ohen -Gretiem -Berrands -Roslarb I am telling u these names from the book😆 And the dragon in the book actually it was a girl so it was named Saphira (I love this name) Anyways if u want to ask anything else I am here😉 Happy writing!

Reply

B. W.
16:41 Dec 16, 2020

ya got any other ones?

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
16:40 Dec 16, 2020

Any other ones?

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
16:40 Dec 16, 2020

Any other ones?

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 11 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
01:49 Dec 15, 2020

thanks ^^

Reply

B. W.
02:05 Dec 15, 2020

anything else?

Reply

B. W.
02:25 Dec 15, 2020

what?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Phoebe DeNeve
01:38 Jan 04, 2021

This was an adorable story, and I really liked the ending. Do you mind taking a look at my books and giving me some feedback?

Reply

B. W.
01:51 Jan 04, 2021

Thanks ^^ do ya have a favorite part or anything like that? and sure ill do that soon.

Reply

Phoebe DeNeve
02:19 Jan 04, 2021

I really like the ending with the little dragon climbing onto Scarlett's head. It was super cute. I have a soft spot for cute scenes

Reply

B. W.
02:21 Jan 04, 2021

I did make a second part to this story, would ya wanna check it out?

Reply

Phoebe DeNeve
02:33 Jan 04, 2021

Okay, I'll check it out right now!! I've also finished novels on my own, btw.

Reply

B. W.
02:54 Jan 04, 2021

Nice ^^ are ya gonna publish them?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Phoebe DeNeve
02:19 Jan 04, 2021

I really like the ending with the little dragon climbing onto Scarlett's head. It was super cute. I have a soft spot for cute scenes

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Ulrich
19:37 Dec 25, 2020

Merry Christmas!

Reply

B. W.
20:39 Dec 25, 2020

Merry Christmas to you as well ^^ have ya had a good one so far?

Reply

Kate Ulrich
22:13 Dec 26, 2020

Yes, have you?

Reply

B. W.
22:14 Dec 26, 2020

Yep ^^ also i just got a new story out, its my 50th story as well ^^

Reply

Kate Ulrich
22:15 Dec 26, 2020

Congratulations!

Reply

B. W.
22:17 Dec 26, 2020

could ya maybe check it out and leave some feedback?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✨Abby ✨
17:26 Dec 18, 2020

Heyyy. What do you think about the new prompts/what one should we do?

Reply

B. W.
17:28 Dec 18, 2020

eh, they really aren't that good, at least to me. I was hoping to continue one of my other series :/ which one do you like?

Reply

✨Abby ✨
17:36 Dec 18, 2020

Yeah, they weren’t. And wdym which one? Like which prompt?

Reply

B. W.
17:48 Dec 18, 2020

yeah, which prompt do ya like the best and all that?

Reply

✨Abby ✨
17:51 Dec 18, 2020

Hmm maybe the one where the person gets proposed to 5 times. But we can do a different one too.

Reply

B. W.
18:06 Dec 18, 2020

maybe

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Ulrich
13:42 Dec 17, 2020

Sorry it took me a while to read this, but this was great! I love the baby dragon. My only criticism is there were a few details that I felt didn't really contribute to the story, like when Scarlett said it was the middle of the night. Other than that, this was a good story and very creative.

Reply

B. W.
16:42 Dec 17, 2020

thanks, im glad ya liked it and all that ^^ would ya want another part?

Reply

Kate Ulrich
12:57 Dec 18, 2020

I think that would be cool!

Reply

B. W.
16:39 Dec 18, 2020

have you seen the new prompts?

Reply

Kate Ulrich
17:23 Dec 21, 2020

Yes. What do you think of them?

Reply

B. W.
19:19 Dec 21, 2020

Kinda half and half, what about you?

Reply

Show 8 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✨Abby ✨
02:08 Dec 15, 2020

Love this! My favorite part is definitely the ending. So cute.ʕ •́؈•̀ ₎

Reply

B. W.
02:25 Dec 15, 2020

thanks ^^ would ya ever wanna see another part?

Reply

✨Abby ✨
02:48 Dec 15, 2020

Yesssss | (• ◡•)|. ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Reply

B. W.
02:56 Dec 15, 2020

i could probably do that ^^

Reply

✨Abby ✨
03:24 Dec 15, 2020

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Reply

B. W.
03:55 Dec 15, 2020

whats something youd wanna happen in the next part?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Orenda .
20:17 Dec 18, 2020

Hey, I've submitted "The Sickly Game", would you mind reading and sharing your views on it? Thanks :D

Reply

B. W.
20:33 Dec 18, 2020

ye ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
12:56 Dec 15, 2020

Great story!! I liked the part where she told her mom!!

Reply

B. W.
16:40 Dec 15, 2020

thanks ^^ anything else?

Reply

. .
16:40 Dec 15, 2020

Nah, I think it was enticing and fun to read!!

Reply

B. W.
16:51 Dec 15, 2020

would ya maybe want another part to this?

Reply

. .
16:51 Dec 15, 2020

Ehh, I feel that it was more of a snapshot of his life rather than a story. But if you want to, it's fine either way.

Reply

B. W.
16:52 Dec 15, 2020

"His life" are you talking about Scarlett? She's a girl. or do you maybe mean the dragon?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✨Abby ✨
03:29 Dec 15, 2020

(new thread) ughhh I'm just so upset. I finally hit 100 points again then in five mins it went down to 90! I feel like someones always watching me...😒 (P.S. If the downvoter is reading this, could you PLEASE stop? I got so excited that I FINALLY hit a hundred after you downvoted me to 0 then oh what a surprise... I'm down to 90. Ughhhhhh whyyy. Just whyyy)

Reply

B. W.
03:57 Dec 15, 2020

I could upvote ya at some point if ya want me to or something?

Reply

✨Abby ✨
05:05 Dec 15, 2020

That would be awesome, but only if ya have time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Coco Longstaff
01:39 Jan 02, 2021

Is this the demi-god series?

Reply

B. W.
02:00 Jan 02, 2021

No this is something completely different, i can give you a list of the demi-god series if ya want?

Reply

Coco Longstaff
02:00 Jan 02, 2021

Oh yes please!

Reply

B. W.
02:01 Jan 02, 2021

1. the goddess child 2. the camp 3. not his fault 4. her arrival 5. getting her back remember to leave some feedback ^^

Reply

Coco Longstaff
02:03 Jan 02, 2021

Thank you and of course!

Reply

B. W.
02:19 Jan 02, 2021

No prob ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.