56 comments

Historical Fiction Fiction Inspirational

I saw my father lying on the silk bed, still and lifeless. A stream of froth was flowing out from his mouth and his body turned purplish. His eyes were wide open.

I remember how his eyes longed to see me after a long court meeting, how they shone for his subjects but right bow they were still.

His face was covered with flies that once used to be covered with sandalwood paste.

All the soldiers and the public were standing outside the fortress, prepared for the war and ready to sacrifice their lives for their land.

My stepmother was standing beside my father's bed with her hands placed on one and another. Instead of grief, I saw a cunning smile on her face.

Tears choked me and interrupted my voice but I still uttered,' What happened to father?'

“He drank poison because he feared the war,” Her voice was still like cold marble and spat words like hot iron.

“You know you are lying because my father would never abandon us in this state. He always dreamt of dying on the battlefield rather than surrendering his life, even you know that.” Tears were making my eyes blurry, yet I could see the lie she was telling.

My heart could not contain the suddenness of my father's death. It pumped like a racing horse and with each beat my anger was rising for my stepmother.

Her lie fueled my rage and in a fit, I charged at her and grabbed her hairs.

“If you don’t utter the truth, I will bend your neck in such a way that even death will feel sweet.”

I pulled her head back and clasped her neck with my iron strong fingers.

“The same fate will meet your son if you don’t open your mouth,” I pressed her neck with anger that was arising within me.

“Guards,” I shouted. A cacophony of steps came towards my father's chamber.

The door banged open and several heavily armored men with sharp weapons entered.

“The king is no more. We all have become orphaned,” I felt a pang of guilt while narrating them. I always feared losing my father, in my childhood when the thunder rumbled, I would hide in his cape praying that my father would never leave my side. But she snatched him from me and I would not spare her for her doing.

If I would have been more vigilant, I think I would have saved my father's life.

Through their heavily armored suites, I see their hope evaporating, I see the courage fading out of their eyes, and I see their knees trembling.

“What should we all do, Princess?" They asked in a monotonous tone.

“First, bring the prince in the main balcony and behead him in front of the public and soldiers.”

“No, don’t even dare to do that.” Queen Sia shouted.

“Then tell me the truth all at once,” I demanded her with angst in my eyes.

“I hate you, I hate you, I hate you. I hate you from my guts. I gave an heir to this kingdom. I bought elephants, golds, jewels, diamonds for him, but what did I get? Nothing, he chose you as the future ruler of this kingdom, and he chose you as the queen."

She uttered every word with angst and hatred.

"What was my importance in his life? So, I choose to join hands with the enemies of this kingdom and paved a path where my son would be the ruler."

Her throat parched and I saw different greed in her eyes. The greed which may destroy our kingdom.

“If you had talked to father about your insecurities, then we all would have pondered for a solution, but you choose to betray us and you will be punished for it.”

I take the sword and point it towards her neck.

“Even if you kill me, my dream will be successful you can't undo anything now.” She laughed like a witch who was confident about her spell.

I grabbed her by hairs, and threw her on the ground, and dragged her.

She screamed at me to leave her, but I continue to drag her through the corridors towards the main balcony.

My father always taught me to solve problems with talks and diplomacy, but right now taking her life was the only solution I feel is the best.

When I reached there, the scene was different. People were shocked due to the king's death and due to the uncertainty of their future.

I made Queen Sia stand and enter the balcony, a hush of silence fell. I threw her in front and placed her head on the railing.

“My father married you for love, not for power or money.”

I swung my sword high and let the sharp blade fall on her neck. Her head fell and a gush of blood flowed out. The public gasped and terror stuck in their eyes.

“Matilda, bring my father's crown.”

I saw the public, who were going through thousand emotions and praying to the Lord to save their lives and the kingdom.

Even I was feeling the same, I never dreamt in my whole life that I would have to get crowned in such a circumstance without my father being at my side.

Matilda brought father's crown and handed me over. I took it in my hand and caressed it like a baby. My father served the crown with honesty, and loyalty and now it's my turn to do so. I crowned myself, the public became speechless.

“I, Princess Jasmine declare myself as the ruler and Queen of kingdom Devaluiah. I, daughter of King Qutub and Queen Renne promise to serve my kingdom until my last breath.”

I choked uttering the last word because it's not just going to be a speech it’s a declaration of my love for my people. I want them to be courageous and brave like they were when my father was alive.

My father's words were ringing in my mind. He is used to always narrate me one thing that, "Have courage against enemies and kindness for your subjects." I absorbed those words and let it sting my tongue and mind to take a refined decision.

“So, you all know that my father was poisoned by her,” I pointed out to the headless body.

“I also know that our enemy is standing outside our doors with an army to destroy us. We don’t have a leader. What we should we do to save ourselves? This may be the only question ringing in your head.”

I saw the public with tear-filled eyes and frown faces. They had lost confidence in themselves.

“But isn't it selfish to think only about yourself? When the kingdom needs you. It’s the time when we join our hands and protect our land. What are we fearing for?

I took a long pause.

"Death, hunger, families. This kingdom is the running lifeline in our veins, what if we get captured today? Will we be alive under someone's rule and torture. We all will lose our identity, our culture, and our right to this motherland. Come join with to save our identity, to save our dear motherland. Let's show death that how courageous Devulains are, let's see in the eyes of death, and tell that we don’t fear him. Let's show our enemies that we won't come under their rule, that we won't easily lose.

Have a hunger for freedom and come together as a family to protect our walls.

I am going on this war to defeat the enemy and death itself. Who is going to come with me?”

I hear people punching their chests with courage and chanting my name.

Long live Queen jasmine! Long live Queen jasmine! Long live Queen jasmine! Long live Queen jasmine! Long live Queen jasmine!

 We will join you! We will join you!

I took the flag in my hands and waved it fiercely to show that with a leader or without a leader, we will never be defeated.

February 12, 2021 17:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

56 comments

Zilla Babbitt
15:43 Feb 17, 2021

"His face was covered with flies that once used to be covered with sandalwood paste." Was his face covered with sandalwood, or was it the flies covered with sandalwood? "Pumped like a racing horse." I like this simile; it's unique. I do think the Queen isn't really the villain in this story since she's overcome so quickly. If she had the upper hand, and for a second it wasn't sure who would win, and THEN the princess won, that would be a villain with a climax. The princess is clearly trusted by the public and the other guards. That's a n...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
15:55 Feb 17, 2021

Thanks so much, Zilla, honored to get your feedback. Coming to the sandalwood part I have mentioned once telling that his face used to be covered with sandalwood paste when he was king but when he died flies replaced it.

Reply

Zilla Babbitt
15:58 Feb 17, 2021

Sure thing. Yeah, I think I got your meaning from that sentence I pasted in, it was just a little convoluted; I had to read it more than once to understand the meaning. I digress, though, I guess you can't edit anymore :)

Reply

Radhika Diksha
16:09 Feb 17, 2021

Ya, it got approved, or else I would have rushed to edit it. Next time I will keep this in my mind.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Danny -
13:06 Feb 13, 2021

Great story, Radhika! I love the imagery you had for the father's death, you've written it beautifully... Got me hooked from the first sentence :)) It's well thought-out, I think it's amazing.... Great job!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
13:42 Feb 13, 2021

Thanks, Dan. Did you see this week's prompts, its so valentine's. I am so excited by the way.

Reply

Danny -
23:22 Feb 13, 2021

Yeah, I did! I love writing romance :)) will you be writing something inspired by eleanor and park?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
13:42 Feb 13, 2021

Thanks, Dan. Did you see this week's prompts, it so valentine's? I am so excited by the way.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Kate Reynolds
17:15 Feb 14, 2021

I know I've already said this but: HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! May you find (or already have) someone that's just as sweet, kind, and loving as you are!!!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
04:53 Feb 15, 2021

Thanks, Kate. Best wishes always matter from our loved ones. By the way, I choose the writers myself for this week, are you ok with it or do you have any suggestions?

Reply

Kate Reynolds
13:42 Feb 15, 2021

Np! I’m fine with anyone!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
19:57 Feb 13, 2021

Hi Radikha! (did I spell your name right? sorry lol) This was a great story, and I think the conclusion was really nice! Nice work! Also, I love your choice of a disney character, Jasmine is amazing :)

Reply

Radhika Diksha
02:52 Feb 14, 2021

Thanks, Sapphire. Even I love Jasmine. She is opinionated, courageous, and strong. That's why some people can't handle her.

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
21:34 Feb 14, 2021

:D Ah, "some people" XD No problem at all!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
08:43 Feb 13, 2021

Did you name her Queen Sia because I forgot to mention you in my story? Is that why?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Writer Maniac
03:07 Feb 13, 2021

This was a nice story. However, the plot felt quite rushed with very less character development. I couldn't feel any of the princess's emotions and she felt like a very distant and unrealistic character. You could have described her emotions and made her more relatable, for example by saying that her throat was dry or her knees were shaking or her stomach was hurting with the loss of her father or her head was spinning. These are just a few suggestions, otherwise, I really liked the story, well done!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
04:01 Feb 13, 2021

Just felt that I should have done hard work for it. Thanks for the suggestion I will try to incorporate it. Can you suggest any more character development?

Reply

Writer Maniac
05:16 Feb 13, 2021

Maybe show some memories of her with her father, maybe her learning to fight or speak or debate, kind of show how she became the person she is

Reply

Radhika Diksha
06:39 Feb 13, 2021

I edited some parts and added them too. Tell me if it improved my story or I have to do further amends.

Reply

Writer Maniac
06:51 Feb 13, 2021

I'll check out the edited version soon :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Writer Maniac
05:51 Feb 19, 2021

Hey, I sent you a reply to your mail, waiting for yours!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
05:57 Feb 19, 2021

I saw it now and replied too.

Reply

Writer Maniac
06:01 Feb 19, 2021

I just replied. Could we chat further on Hangouts?

Reply

Radhika Diksha
06:03 Feb 19, 2021

Sure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

Such a great story Radhika! :)

Reply

Radhika Diksha
07:40 Feb 13, 2021

Thanks, Laila, your feedback matters.

Reply

Aww, of course Radhika! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
16:01 Apr 14, 2021

But isn't it selfish to think only about yourself? Well said, your story messages are delightful

Reply

Show 0 replies
User_2443 0967
16:38 Mar 09, 2021

Wow, this is very inspirational!! I loved it!! Great Work, Radhika!! <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Daniel R. Hayes
19:45 Feb 25, 2021

I thought this was an interesting story. I enjoyed reading it from beginning to end. You have a good way of bringing your stories to life :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Reynolds
00:27 Feb 19, 2021

Hello! So one of my friends just joined Reedsy, so I would like to nominate her for person or story of the week! Link to profile: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/anna-may/ Link to story: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/81/submissions/55292/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Vibes Blossom
08:18 Feb 18, 2021

Nice story Radhika! Looking forward to more stories. Also, could you add me in the Oasis group?

Reply

Radhika Diksha
09:33 Feb 18, 2021

Sure, just read my story and write oasis in your bio.

Reply

Vibes Blossom
15:44 Feb 18, 2021

Which story are u refering to? Ok I'll do that

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:02 Feb 16, 2021

wow Radhika, great job! also, sorry I didn't read this earlier, I was a bit busy the imagery for the beheading was so good that it made me envision it perfectly, and the rage you showed in the Queen's voice was perfect :) the first sentence hooked me right in, great job!!!!!! ~ Amethyst

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Reynolds
18:33 Feb 13, 2021

Wow. This was wonderful!!! I can't believe you fit a full-fledged story under 3000 words However, like some people in the comments said it was a bit rushed, but that's quite understandable. Overall, though, it was fantastic! Great job!!! By the way, would you mind reading and leaving a comment on my latest story?

Reply

Radhika Diksha
02:43 Feb 14, 2021

thanks and sure will do.

Reply

Kate Reynolds
03:38 Feb 14, 2021

Np!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:36 Feb 13, 2021

:) I love this

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
15:11 Feb 13, 2021

This was great!!! The plot was very quick and rushed, though, and you should certainly spread it out and make it a struggle. Other than that, your dialogue sounds like inner monologue, which is not how it should be. It should be more realistic, and emotional, and informal. Other than that, ALL HAIL QUEEN RADHIKA/JASMINE!!!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
15:18 Feb 13, 2021

I did edit it like thousand time, ooooff i will try it again.

Reply

. .
15:20 Feb 13, 2021

XD That's fineeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I think you shouldn't snip away at it more but rather ADD MORE

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
13:36 Feb 13, 2021

Hello Radhika!! (love your name btw) I really enjoyed this story - from the beginning the story kept me hooked and engaged. I loved that she had to deal with her father dying before she became queen, which was a unique way to read the prompt! I would say, just make sure to make the princess a TAD bit relatable, because she seems very..aloof and non-human - so describe her emotions (it's always better to go overboard than not-so-much) ALSO, I'm sorry you didn't like my story so much, I thought it was nice but people didn't think so :( - ...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
13:41 Feb 13, 2021

Aww, thanks Nainika. Sure I will check it out. Actually, I edited the story like thousand times but I will see what I can do based on your suggestion. It's ok Nanika sometimes we do tend to create something that is not of our level and it's ok, it happens with everyone. Breath and everything will go easy,

Reply

Nainika Gupta
13:48 Feb 13, 2021

Thanks so much, Radhika :) You're an amazing friend <3 will you take my reedsy-cast form so I can include you in my story?

Reply

Radhika Diksha
14:01 Feb 13, 2021

Sure

Reply

Nainika Gupta
14:04 Feb 13, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
12:31 Feb 13, 2021

The plot felt developed and unique, but I would say that maybe you should have written this in preset tense; some lines felt off, a little bit. Overall, great job!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
12:40 Feb 13, 2021

I will sure try to give a look at it. Thanks for the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
12:30 Feb 13, 2021

So, here I accidentally named a character Sia. In our Indian culture to serials, I have heard this name everywhere, so unconsciously I named it. But Sia Sharma got offended and I would like to say that my character was not inspired by her or you. Peace out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yolanda Wu
04:55 Feb 13, 2021

I really like how you wrote the conflict in the story, starting with the description of the dead king - I thought that was a great beginning because it got me instantly interested. How you wrote Jasmine grabbing the mother's hair and forcing her to tell the truth. I am so amazed, Radhika! I know I said this last time, but your writing has really improved a lot. One thing I noticed is that there is significantly less switching of tenses throughout the story, I think there were some here and there, but none that were super obvious or deterred ...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
07:40 Feb 13, 2021

I have edited the story a bit because writer maniac suggested, I would love if you would go through it again and let me know if the changes were good or not.

Reply

Yolanda Wu
08:12 Feb 13, 2021

I looked through it again, and I think the edits are good! Good job!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
09:29 Feb 13, 2021

Thanks, Yolanda.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.