56 comments

Historical Fiction Fiction Inspirational

I saw my father lying on the silk bed, still and lifeless. A stream of froth was flowing out from his mouth and his body turned purplish. His eyes were wide open.

I remember how his eyes longed to see me after a long court meeting, how they shone for his subjects but right bow they were still.

His face was covered with flies that once used to be covered with sandalwood paste.

All the soldiers and the public were standing outside the fortress, prepared for the war and ready to sacrifice their lives for their land.

My stepmother was standing beside my father's bed with her hands placed on one and another. Instead of grief, I saw a cunning smile on her face.

Tears choked me and interrupted my voice but I still uttered,' What happened to father?'

“He drank poison because he feared the war,” Her voice was still like cold marble and spat words like hot iron.

“You know you are lying because my father would never abandon us in this state. He always dreamt of dying on the battlefield rather than surrendering his life, even you know that.” Tears were making my eyes blurry, yet I could see the lie she was telling.

My heart could not contain the suddenness of my father's death. It pumped like a racing horse and with each beat my anger was rising for my stepmother.

Her lie fueled my rage and in a fit, I charged at her and grabbed her hairs.

“If you don’t utter the truth, I will bend your neck in such a way that even death will feel sweet.”

I pulled her head back and clasped her neck with my iron strong fingers.

“The same fate will meet your son if you don’t open your mouth,” I pressed her neck with anger that was arising within me.

“Guards,” I shouted. A cacophony of steps came towards my father's chamber.

The door banged open and several heavily armored men with sharp weapons entered.

“The king is no more. We all have become orphaned,” I felt a pang of guilt while narrating them. I always feared losing my father, in my childhood when the thunder rumbled, I would hide in his cape praying that my father would never leave my side. But she snatched him from me and I would not spare her for her doing.

If I would have been more vigilant, I think I would have saved my father's life.

Through their heavily armored suites, I see their hope evaporating, I see the courage fading out of their eyes, and I see their knees trembling.

“What should we all do, Princess?" They asked in a monotonous tone.

“First, bring the prince in the main balcony and behead him in front of the public and soldiers.”

“No, don’t even dare to do that.” Queen Sia shouted.

“Then tell me the truth all at once,” I demanded her with angst in my eyes.

“I hate you, I hate you, I hate you. I hate you from my guts. I gave an heir to this kingdom. I bought elephants, golds, jewels, diamonds for him, but what did I get? Nothing, he chose you as the future ruler of this kingdom, and he chose you as the queen."

She uttered every word with angst and hatred.

"What was my importance in his life? So, I choose to join hands with the enemies of this kingdom and paved a path where my son would be the ruler."

Her throat parched and I saw different greed in her eyes. The greed which may destroy our kingdom.

“If you had talked to father about your insecurities, then we all would have pondered for a solution, but you choose to betray us and you will be punished for it.”

I take the sword and point it towards her neck.

“Even if you kill me, my dream will be successful you can't undo anything now.” She laughed like a witch who was confident about her spell.

I grabbed her by hairs, and threw her on the ground, and dragged her.

She screamed at me to leave her, but I continue to drag her through the corridors towards the main balcony.

My father always taught me to solve problems with talks and diplomacy, but right now taking her life was the only solution I feel is the best.

When I reached there, the scene was different. People were shocked due to the king's death and due to the uncertainty of their future.

I made Queen Sia stand and enter the balcony, a hush of silence fell. I threw her in front and placed her head on the railing.

“My father married you for love, not for power or money.”

I swung my sword high and let the sharp blade fall on her neck. Her head fell and a gush of blood flowed out. The public gasped and terror stuck in their eyes.

“Matilda, bring my father's crown.”

I saw the public, who were going through thousand emotions and praying to the Lord to save their lives and the kingdom.

Even I was feeling the same, I never dreamt in my whole life that I would have to get crowned in such a circumstance without my father being at my side.

Matilda brought father's crown and handed me over. I took it in my hand and caressed it like a baby. My father served the crown with honesty, and loyalty and now it's my turn to do so. I crowned myself, the public became speechless.

“I, Princess Jasmine declare myself as the ruler and Queen of kingdom Devaluiah. I, daughter of King Qutub and Queen Renne promise to serve my kingdom until my last breath.”

I choked uttering the last word because it's not just going to be a speech it’s a declaration of my love for my people. I want them to be courageous and brave like they were when my father was alive.

My father's words were ringing in my mind. He is used to always narrate me one thing that, "Have courage against enemies and kindness for your subjects." I absorbed those words and let it sting my tongue and mind to take a refined decision.

“So, you all know that my father was poisoned by her,” I pointed out to the headless body.

“I also know that our enemy is standing outside our doors with an army to destroy us. We don’t have a leader. What we should we do to save ourselves? This may be the only question ringing in your head.”

I saw the public with tear-filled eyes and frown faces. They had lost confidence in themselves.

“But isn't it selfish to think only about yourself? When the kingdom needs you. It’s the time when we join our hands and protect our land. What are we fearing for?

I took a long pause.

"Death, hunger, families. This kingdom is the running lifeline in our veins, what if we get captured today? Will we be alive under someone's rule and torture. We all will lose our identity, our culture, and our right to this motherland. Come join with to save our identity, to save our dear motherland. Let's show death that how courageous Devulains are, let's see in the eyes of death, and tell that we don’t fear him. Let's show our enemies that we won't come under their rule, that we won't easily lose.

Have a hunger for freedom and come together as a family to protect our walls.

I am going on this war to defeat the enemy and death itself. Who is going to come with me?”

I hear people punching their chests with courage and chanting my name.

Long live Queen jasmine! Long live Queen jasmine! Long live Queen jasmine! Long live Queen jasmine! Long live Queen jasmine!

 We will join you! We will join you!

I took the flag in my hands and waved it fiercely to show that with a leader or without a leader, we will never be defeated.

February 12, 2021 17:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

56 comments

14:21 Feb 17, 2021

I loved this story. It was amazing. The first sentence had me hooked. I loved the imagery of the king's death. I also loved Jasmine's speech and the setting of a royal kingdom. My only word of advice is that the plot seems a little rushed, probably because I couldn't feel much of Jasmine's emotions in this story. So I would love to see a little more emotion and less rush. That's all. Great great great work! (Oh jeez. How ironic. I'm telling you to show a bit more emotion in your stories when my comment above has almost none at all XD)

Reply

Show 0 replies

I really enjoyed this story Radhika! Shows how a princess can rule her kingdom and the devotion to her people! Great work:)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.