Marshmallow Pride Pt. 3 (Collab with Isaac Aaron)

Submitted into Contest #75 in response to: Write about someone who has finally managed to succeed at a long-standing New Year’s resolution.... view prompt

795 comments

Friendship Funny

THIS IS DEDICATED TO ALL MALLOWS, PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE. I COLLABED WITH ISAAC AARON ON THIS, CHECK HIM OUT AT https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/7b7be7/

It’s been so long since I’ve talked about food. Normally I wander the aisles, letting the cans take hold of me and jump into my cart. I don’t stop them. That was before I had friends though. Now they judge my food choices. 

“Come on! Stop guarding the barbecue chips!” They didn’t like barbecue chips! Why did they care? I growled, hugging the bowl to my chest like a block of gold. Kate was advocating for freedom of food, but there was no freedom with barbecue chips.

“Ugh, why is Mariah Carey still talking?” Celeste really seemed to hate her. Of course, no one likes her, but no one hated her as much as Celeste. At the moment, though none of us were listening, Mariah was self-promoting.

“As a writer, because I did write the song…” It just felt like white noise at this point. I was trying to read my book, a holy treasure that I received for the holidays and would never let go of. There were about ten people there, all some of my closest friends, but I couldn’t focus on all of them at once. I have to vary my attention. 

At the moment, Jennie was across the room, yelling at Nainika about which book was better: Atlas Shrugged or And Then There Were None. John Galt was winning, obviously. Jennie was in her rainbow jacket, flaunting it to everyone around. It shined brightly in my eyes, which I wasn't keen on, but it did look great.

“Ugh... Give back the Lay’s!!” Kate was struggling next to the couch, trying to pull the bag back from Mira, but Mira kept on yanking. Finally, the bag exploded over both of them and they laughed, throwing chips at each other. 

I remembered, three years ago, my whispered New Year’s resolution. 

My only friend, Takumi, had just joined a new friend group. I would’ve been fine with that, totally okay, but he had to join the worst of them all. The non-readers. I’d always swarmed him with book recommendations, always threw them in his face, but to join with the enemy? Sacrilege. 

“I resolve to pick friends, actual friends, and ones that like books as much as I do.” That seemed easy enough. There had to be some, right? Wrong. The only friends I could seem to find were dumb. 

I was shot back into the party, Mariah Carey still yammering on about her new book. Isaac, with his Fritos, was reclining on the chair, watching the sweet chaos with a smile. I threw a BBQ chip at him because if he thought that chips were all love and joy, he was wrong. It was a war. I was joking, of course, and I loved Fritos too. 

Suddenly, as if by magic, the five-minute mark sounded. No other party has that, no, but we or, well, Maya, decided we would have one. Nainika and her slaved away the night before to set it up, but it wasn’t very exciting. Still, I was happy to have it.

Jade was vibing to Groundhog Day on the couch next to me, occasionally laughing her head off. She really liked Bill Murray, I guess. Tom Hanks will always and forever be my favorite, though.

“Excuse me?” Oops, guess I said that aloud. Jade ominously clicked pause and turned to face me.

“It’s true, I’m not arguing it with you.” Ha, leave it to me to weave a Joe vs. The Volcano quote into a conversation. 

Radhika, Alina, and Akshaya were at the door, showing each other pictures of their pets. They had always loved sharing pics with everyone, and all of them started to blur together, but they were sweet to share them with us. Alina watched Mariah from afar, intent on listening to every word. She was just one of those people that loved watching whatever was on.

“Twenty… nineteen…” Was it that time already?? Mariah was still talking, but the cameramen cut her off and switched to the view of the ball dropping. The polyester sphere inched down, like a worm or a snail. The only difference was, well, that worms had no places to be. 

“Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one… HAPPY NEW YEAR!” Everyone burst into disarray hugging around the room and throwing chips into the air like confetti.

Though I’d never had a great party like this one, I acted like I’d partied every night of 2020. Mira and I threw some more chips at each other and jumped up and down like little children. Mira was by far the best person to be a child with. Nainika and I started throwing our books in the air, though we’d never drop them, no. Nainika, a devoted bookworm like me. 

Isaac and I exchanged chip bags and cheered. Isaac was always very kind. Maybe he deserved all the Fritos. Kate, well, she was in her own inner party, dancing like she was the only person there. I had to shake her a little to “wake her up”. Radhika, Alina, and Akshaya were taking pictures like the devoted people they were, and we all smiled for the camera. 

The doorbell rang through the room, and we all turned and started making our way to the door. As it swung open to the chaos within, we gasped at the face standing outside. It was Emmie Greensgate, and she’d brought a cake. I went for the cake, obviously, but Mira ushered Emmie in. 

“Come on, let’s party!!” The music turned back on, and Celeste started screaming incoherently. We all did the same, and I’m sure Haripriya, who lived in the next building, could hear us as we went crazy. 

“Okay, guys, here’s the sparkling apple cider.” I handed out cups to everyone, the fizzles bubbling onto everyone’s hands. I had drunk an entire bottle of this earlier, and I was sure that Emmie had done the same. We all clunked the cups with each other, and said “cheers”. It was great to be with friends.

January 04, 2021 13:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

795 comments

Kate Reynolds
15:13 Jan 04, 2021

THIS WAS HILARIOUS (Just like the other parts)!!!!!!!!! I loved my part! :D

Reply

. .
15:14 Jan 04, 2021

:D Thanks so much Kate!!!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
15:16 Jan 04, 2021

Npp!!! C:

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hey, Luke! Would you mind signing this? It's a petition to end the downvoting feature on reedsy. Heres the link: https://forms.gle/j3V39n9S928uxrbX9 Thanks!

Reply

. .
15:13 Jan 04, 2021

OF COURSE!!!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
15:18 Jan 04, 2021

can i sign too? all marhsmallows should sign it

Reply

Yes, please! Spread it around as much as possible! Thank you!

Reply

Maya -
17:13 Jan 04, 2021

I signed the petition! :)

Reply

Mira Caplan
19:23 Jan 04, 2021

I signed it, I think. Maybe

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Raquel Rodriguez
14:12 Jan 04, 2021

Lol, Celeste is so funny in this, her comment about Mariah Carey in the story... hilarious. :) This is great!

Reply

. .
14:13 Jan 04, 2021

I hope she doesn't actually like her XD Thanks!!

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
14:28 Jan 04, 2021

Lol, that would be... No problem! :)

Reply

. .
14:29 Jan 04, 2021

:D Happy New Year BTW

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
16:17 Jan 04, 2021

:) What's up?

Reply

. .
16:18 Jan 04, 2021

Nothing... I'm trying to get to 18 on the leaderboard... XD Hbu

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
14:02 Jan 04, 2021

AHHAHAH I loved this :) What a cool take!!! Can't wait for future parts :)

Reply

. .
14:03 Jan 04, 2021

:D Thanks!!! Did you like your character??

Reply

Nainika Gupta
14:09 Jan 04, 2021

Of course!!!!!!! :D

Reply

. .
14:10 Jan 04, 2021

:DDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
ALINA Manha
20:23 Jan 13, 2021

O. M. G!! THIS, was really funny. 😂😂 Thank you sooooooo much for including me. I laughed so hard while reading my discription in the story. You did a great job. First of all I don't have any pets and second of all I don't take pictures. So, I found it very funny.

Reply

. .
20:42 Jan 13, 2021

Thanks so much!! Of course I included you!! Oop, that's an oof, but with Radhika I got everything right XD

Reply

ALINA Manha
21:07 Jan 13, 2021

You're welcome! 😁 😀😀You have no idea how happy I am. No problem! Wow! That's awesome! Can I up vote you? I got to know that you wanted to be 10 on the leaderbord. I think I can help you with that.

Reply

. .
21:09 Jan 13, 2021

Ofc!! I'm at 6 at the moment and ofc you can!!

Reply

ALINA Manha
21:14 Jan 13, 2021

Wow! That's great! I didn't know that. Okay then, I'll up vote you for 500 is that okay?

Reply

. .
21:14 Jan 13, 2021

OMG THAT'S WAY MORE THAN OKAY!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
20:49 Jan 05, 2021

Your emoji-riddle-thing reminds me of a movie but I just can't put my finger on it....

Reply

. .
20:58 Jan 05, 2021

It was made into a 1998 movie and the author that wrote it won a Nobel Prize in addition to a Pulitzer for the book.

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
22:03 Jan 05, 2021

Hmmmmmm......

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
22:05 Jan 05, 2021

Beloved by Toni Morrison?

Reply

. .
22:07 Jan 05, 2021

YASSSSSS

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
22:32 Jan 05, 2021

Ahahaha YESS I FINALLY GOT ONEEE :DDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sapphire 🌼
22:32 Jan 05, 2021

Ahahaha YESS I FINALLY GOT ONEEE :DDDD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Ok im sorry for being such a noob but- what is a marshmallow in this context? im sorry lol

Reply

. .
20:41 Jan 05, 2021

No, don't apologize!! If someone's mean to you for asking a well-mannered question, that's a problem for them. A Marshmallow is part of the Marshmallows, people that upvote peeps that were downvoted and spammed. I am one of the founders of the group, and all of the peeps that were Mallows at that time are in the story. Lillian joined recently, but it was after the story came out.

Reply

oooohhhhhhhh! ok, that makes a lotttaaaa sense. Can I join?

Reply

. .
20:57 Jan 05, 2021

YASSSS!! JUST POST IMMA MARSHMALLOW ON THE STORY AND MAYBE TELL SOME OF THE OTHER MEMBERS, AND PUT IMMA MARSHMALLOW IN YOUR BIO!!!!

Reply

. .
20:58 Jan 05, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
17:02 Jan 05, 2021

I stumbled across my name, and I am very glad about it. Yes, I do have a pet, and I like clicking photos. I think you have intuitive powers. I am proud to be a fellow marshmallow and thank you for accepting me. I am going to upvote everyone in the new year. Love your writing style by the way. Cudos for your imagination.

Reply

. .
17:03 Jan 05, 2021

OMG you do!?! That's crazy!! I'm proud to have you as one!! Thanks so much Radhika!!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
17:06 Jan 05, 2021

That was a quick response. Thanks again. And may this year goes very well for you.

Reply

. .
17:08 Jan 05, 2021

You too!! I am known for my quick responses!!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
17:10 Jan 05, 2021

Can you help me with something?

Reply

. .
17:11 Jan 05, 2021

Ofc!! What is it??

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:36 Jan 04, 2021

IMMA MARSHMALLOW (?) Please?

Reply

. .
21:37 Jan 04, 2021

YASSSSSSSSS OFC!!!!! *burns the earth with smile bc Brooke wants to join our humble group* Just put IMMA MARSHMALLOW in your bio!!!!

Reply

21:57 Jan 04, 2021

OMG YAYYYYYYYYYY THANK YOUUUUUUU *makes global warming speed up with smile so bright* I did!!!!!!!! Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Reply

. .
21:57 Jan 04, 2021

:D POOR EARTH!!!!

Reply

21:58 Jan 04, 2021

oops.

Reply

. .
21:58 Jan 04, 2021

Yeah, that's too bad XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
13:29 Jan 04, 2021

"Mira was by far the best person to be a child with." YEASSS I also LOVE sparkling apple cider. YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Reply

. .
13:30 Jan 04, 2021

YASSSSSSS ME TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:31 Jan 04, 2021

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! Seriously, though, I am SO childish around my besties, as you've seen. XDDD That statement's very true to my nature

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
13:31 Jan 04, 2021

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! Seriously, though, I am SO childish around my besties, as you've seen. XDDD That statement's very true to my nature

Reply

. .
13:31 Jan 04, 2021

I KNOWWWWWWW ITS SO TRUEEEEEEEE

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:33 Jan 04, 2021

YEASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm probably the most childish person you know XD With friends, at least. Best friends, really

Reply

. .
13:34 Jan 04, 2021

Lol I know XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
13:33 Jan 04, 2021

YEASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm probably the most childish person you know XD With friends, at least. Best friends, really

Reply

I CHUG CIDER TOO . Don't we all?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
XANDER DMER
17:17 Feb 10, 2021

HAHA!!! 🤣🤣 Funny Story!! I love the character :D Do You Mind Giving Me Feedback, On My Other Stories, when you have time... Thanks :D

Reply

Show 0 replies

Hi! I'm here because we out-commented the last comment thread. Where were we? Marshmallow stuff? or puzzles?

Reply

. .
17:53 Jan 08, 2021

Marshmallow stuff

Reply

Ok! So does anyone need upvoting?

Reply

. .
17:59 Jan 08, 2021

Nope, I don't think so!!

Reply

I upvoted everyone who needed to be upvoted so far

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
13:43 Jan 08, 2021

Are you excited for the new prompts to come out today!?! :DDD

Reply

. .
13:44 Jan 08, 2021

Yessssssssss!!

Reply

Maya -
13:46 Jan 08, 2021

Me too!!!!! Any genres you're hoping for?

Reply

. .
13:48 Jan 08, 2021

Drama, Sad, stuff like that XD

Reply

Maya -
13:50 Jan 08, 2021

YASSSSSSS!!! XD My class is weird, right now we're talking about which is better: hotdogs or hamburgers. XDDD

Reply

. .
13:53 Jan 08, 2021

XDDDDDD I wouldn't be able to chooseeeee

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Arjun Chen
20:20 Jan 06, 2021

nice one

Reply

. .
20:51 Jan 06, 2021

Thanks, Dude!! When are you posting again??

Reply

Arjun Chen
20:45 Jan 07, 2021

Idk, hon'! maybe sometime this week:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:36 Jan 05, 2021

JUST REALIZED I CHUGGED APPLE CIDER IN HERE-- I REALLY DID THAT ON NEW YEARS! :)

Reply

. .
21:36 Jan 05, 2021

OMG APPARENTLY RADHIKA ALSO HAS A PET AND LOVES TO TAKE PICS IM JUST MAGICAL!!!!

Reply

21:36 Jan 05, 2021

AAAAAHAHHA THIS IS AWESOME!

Reply

. .
21:38 Jan 05, 2021

I KNOWWWWWWWW ITS INSANEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Reply

21:41 Jan 05, 2021

Celeste has figured out the past two-- can anyone figure this out? Celeste is going for try 3 after texting hogwarts 8 times :)

Reply

. .
21:43 Jan 05, 2021

Night of the living dead!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
13:08 Jan 05, 2021

IS VAYD BACK?!?!?!?! He just posted a story!

Reply

Maya -
13:10 Jan 05, 2021

Oh, I guess it says he's not back, just here temporarily.

Reply

. .
13:12 Jan 05, 2021

OMG WHAT???

Reply

Maya -
13:17 Jan 05, 2021

He just posted a story and he said he is here temporarily!

Reply

. .
13:18 Jan 05, 2021

I COMMENTED THANKS SO MUCH FOR TELLING ME!!!!

Reply

Maya -
13:20 Jan 05, 2021

You're welcome!!! :D :D :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:54 Jan 05, 2021

CHEERS TO THE MARSHMALLOWZ! :) :) :) (By the way, what did the last emojis mean? I could not make head or tails of them LOL)

Reply

. .
00:55 Jan 05, 2021

Gawain and the Green Knight!! No one knows these things I swear...

Reply

00:57 Jan 05, 2021

I didn't get Gawain from any of them, sorry. :)

Reply

. .
00:58 Jan 05, 2021

Yeah, that's ok XD It was a super hard one.

Reply

17:03 Jan 05, 2021

Should I try making one sometime? Is it hard to come up with one??

Reply

. .
17:08 Jan 05, 2021

It's sometimes tougher, but it's fun when people figure it out. I chose to do emojis, but Uriah Pedrad, the OG, does the name change of characters. You can choose to make up your own idea or if you want you can do one of those, but I like having a definitive name people can call me in addition to my puzzle.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Deleted Account
22:13 Jan 04, 2021

Oh litlover I wish to join the marshmallow pact, clan, and squad. Please accept my request.

Reply

. .
22:14 Jan 04, 2021

Ofc!!! Just post IMMA MARSHMALLOW on one of my stories and also put it in your bio. I point out the rest in my bio

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
15:52 Jan 04, 2021

I loved this! It's so funny! Great job, Luke!!! :D Happy 2021 Marshmallows!!! :DDD

Reply

. .
15:53 Jan 04, 2021

Thanks Maya!! 2021 is gonna be a great year for Literature!!!

Reply

Maya -
15:55 Jan 04, 2021

Yes!!! Btw I think Marshmallows is such a great name!!!

Reply

. .
15:57 Jan 04, 2021

Thanks!! It was inspired by one of the founders, Mira, saying she felt like a Marshmallow in hot cocoa, and we made it an awesome joke. I was one of the founders!!

Reply

Maya -
16:05 Jan 04, 2021

Haha :D So it has a story behind it. :)

Reply

Mira Caplan
14:51 Jan 05, 2021

YEAS TWAS MY IDEA!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
15:17 Jan 04, 2021

RAINBOW JACKET RAINBOW JACKET RAINBOW JACKET omG tOMhanks omg omg omg FORREST GUMP

Reply

. .
15:18 Jan 04, 2021

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.