Marshmallow Pride Pt. 3 (Collab with Isaac Aaron)

Submitted into Contest #75 in response to: Write about someone who has finally managed to succeed at a long-standing New Year’s resolution.... view prompt

795 comments

Friendship Funny

THIS IS DEDICATED TO ALL MALLOWS, PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE. I COLLABED WITH ISAAC AARON ON THIS, CHECK HIM OUT AT https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/7b7be7/

It’s been so long since I’ve talked about food. Normally I wander the aisles, letting the cans take hold of me and jump into my cart. I don’t stop them. That was before I had friends though. Now they judge my food choices. 

“Come on! Stop guarding the barbecue chips!” They didn’t like barbecue chips! Why did they care? I growled, hugging the bowl to my chest like a block of gold. Kate was advocating for freedom of food, but there was no freedom with barbecue chips.

“Ugh, why is Mariah Carey still talking?” Celeste really seemed to hate her. Of course, no one likes her, but no one hated her as much as Celeste. At the moment, though none of us were listening, Mariah was self-promoting.

“As a writer, because I did write the song…” It just felt like white noise at this point. I was trying to read my book, a holy treasure that I received for the holidays and would never let go of. There were about ten people there, all some of my closest friends, but I couldn’t focus on all of them at once. I have to vary my attention. 

At the moment, Jennie was across the room, yelling at Nainika about which book was better: Atlas Shrugged or And Then There Were None. John Galt was winning, obviously. Jennie was in her rainbow jacket, flaunting it to everyone around. It shined brightly in my eyes, which I wasn't keen on, but it did look great.

“Ugh... Give back the Lay’s!!” Kate was struggling next to the couch, trying to pull the bag back from Mira, but Mira kept on yanking. Finally, the bag exploded over both of them and they laughed, throwing chips at each other. 

I remembered, three years ago, my whispered New Year’s resolution. 

My only friend, Takumi, had just joined a new friend group. I would’ve been fine with that, totally okay, but he had to join the worst of them all. The non-readers. I’d always swarmed him with book recommendations, always threw them in his face, but to join with the enemy? Sacrilege. 

“I resolve to pick friends, actual friends, and ones that like books as much as I do.” That seemed easy enough. There had to be some, right? Wrong. The only friends I could seem to find were dumb. 

I was shot back into the party, Mariah Carey still yammering on about her new book. Isaac, with his Fritos, was reclining on the chair, watching the sweet chaos with a smile. I threw a BBQ chip at him because if he thought that chips were all love and joy, he was wrong. It was a war. I was joking, of course, and I loved Fritos too. 

Suddenly, as if by magic, the five-minute mark sounded. No other party has that, no, but we or, well, Maya, decided we would have one. Nainika and her slaved away the night before to set it up, but it wasn’t very exciting. Still, I was happy to have it.

Jade was vibing to Groundhog Day on the couch next to me, occasionally laughing her head off. She really liked Bill Murray, I guess. Tom Hanks will always and forever be my favorite, though.

“Excuse me?” Oops, guess I said that aloud. Jade ominously clicked pause and turned to face me.

“It’s true, I’m not arguing it with you.” Ha, leave it to me to weave a Joe vs. The Volcano quote into a conversation. 

Radhika, Alina, and Akshaya were at the door, showing each other pictures of their pets. They had always loved sharing pics with everyone, and all of them started to blur together, but they were sweet to share them with us. Alina watched Mariah from afar, intent on listening to every word. She was just one of those people that loved watching whatever was on.

“Twenty… nineteen…” Was it that time already?? Mariah was still talking, but the cameramen cut her off and switched to the view of the ball dropping. The polyester sphere inched down, like a worm or a snail. The only difference was, well, that worms had no places to be. 

“Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one… HAPPY NEW YEAR!” Everyone burst into disarray hugging around the room and throwing chips into the air like confetti.

Though I’d never had a great party like this one, I acted like I’d partied every night of 2020. Mira and I threw some more chips at each other and jumped up and down like little children. Mira was by far the best person to be a child with. Nainika and I started throwing our books in the air, though we’d never drop them, no. Nainika, a devoted bookworm like me. 

Isaac and I exchanged chip bags and cheered. Isaac was always very kind. Maybe he deserved all the Fritos. Kate, well, she was in her own inner party, dancing like she was the only person there. I had to shake her a little to “wake her up”. Radhika, Alina, and Akshaya were taking pictures like the devoted people they were, and we all smiled for the camera. 

The doorbell rang through the room, and we all turned and started making our way to the door. As it swung open to the chaos within, we gasped at the face standing outside. It was Emmie Greensgate, and she’d brought a cake. I went for the cake, obviously, but Mira ushered Emmie in. 

“Come on, let’s party!!” The music turned back on, and Celeste started screaming incoherently. We all did the same, and I’m sure Haripriya, who lived in the next building, could hear us as we went crazy. 

“Okay, guys, here’s the sparkling apple cider.” I handed out cups to everyone, the fizzles bubbling onto everyone’s hands. I had drunk an entire bottle of this earlier, and I was sure that Emmie had done the same. We all clunked the cups with each other, and said “cheers”. It was great to be with friends.

January 04, 2021 13:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

795 comments

TJ Squared
23:35 Jan 13, 2021

Great story! I filled out the petition as well. PLS END DOWNVOTING! I can relate to this, and I love stories that I can relate to. GREAT JOB!

Reply

. .
23:39 Jan 13, 2021

YASSS END DOWNVOTING!!! Thanks so much!!

Reply

TJ Squared
23:40 Jan 13, 2021

No problem! We got to spread the message right? That's a yes

Reply

. .
23:41 Jan 13, 2021

YAS WE DO!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
06:30 Jan 09, 2021

Hi Luke!! I really liked reading this story! Thanks for dedicating it to all the Marshmallows! It really was a great idea to do that!! This is the first time anyone has included me in their story and seeing this was a very pleasant surprise!! :DD

Reply

. .
14:33 Jan 09, 2021

I loved writing it!!! Awww, well happy I did it first!!

Reply

Akshaya ✨
14:35 Jan 09, 2021

:DD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
18:24 Jan 07, 2021

I just submitted my collab with Brooke!!! I'm not sure if I really like it but... :)

Reply

. .
18:28 Jan 07, 2021

I'll check it out after school!!

Reply

Maya -
18:30 Jan 07, 2021

Okay! Your emoji puzzle has changed so many times now. :)

Reply

. .
18:32 Jan 07, 2021

That's bc of Amethyst!!

Reply

Maya -
18:33 Jan 07, 2021

She guessed them all?

Reply

. .
18:34 Jan 07, 2021

Yeah lol... I need to do school now sad so I'll check your story out after!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
15:01 Jan 07, 2021

New thread :)

Reply

. .
15:01 Jan 07, 2021

YAY!!!! how's life!! I have Art next and it's THE MOST BORING CLASS EVER

Reply

Maya -
15:03 Jan 07, 2021

Life is good. OMG I have art next too. But my art is fun. :D We're doing a collage project.

Reply

. .
15:04 Jan 07, 2021

Ugh luckyyyyyyy

Reply

Maya -
15:04 Jan 07, 2021

What do you have after art? I have ELA

Reply

. .
15:05 Jan 07, 2021

I have Scienceeeeeeee

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
13:21 Jan 07, 2021

Howdy :DDD

Reply

. .
13:23 Jan 07, 2021

Howdy!!

Reply

Maya -
13:25 Jan 07, 2021

How are you?

Reply

. .
13:28 Jan 07, 2021

Great!! Amazing!! SPECTACULAR!! A new story's coming out today called "The Collector"!!

Reply

Maya -
13:29 Jan 07, 2021

Yay! I can't wait to read it!!!

Reply

. .
13:29 Jan 07, 2021

Great!! I think it'll be one of my favorites.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shae Greyfeather
21:49 Jan 05, 2021

I have a question (nothing to do with the story), does the emojis in your name mean "I love Zombie Farm". I'm just curious

Reply

. .
21:50 Jan 05, 2021

Nope, the emojis represent books. This one won the Pulitzer and was made into an Oprah Winfrey movie, the author won a Nobel Prize.

Reply

Shae Greyfeather
12:19 Jan 06, 2021

Is it the book "Beloved" by Toni morrison?

Reply

. .
12:40 Jan 06, 2021

It was... yeah Sapphire got it. This one's really old but considered a classic of mystery.

Reply

Shae Greyfeather
22:22 Jan 06, 2021

Ok

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:31 Jan 05, 2021

Check out my new emoji puzzle! Hint: It's not the name of a book but it's book related. . .

Reply

. .
21:32 Jan 05, 2021

Dungeons and dragons??

Reply

Show 0 replies
21:36 Jan 05, 2021

Celeste you're good.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
. .
21:02 Jan 05, 2021

EEEEEEE :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
16:22 Jan 05, 2021

New thread! I saw in your bio you play flute and rock climb! That's so cool! I play flute too (I'm actually in band class rn) and I do indoor rock climbing for fun. Do you do indoor or outdoor rock climbing? :DDD

Reply

. .
16:30 Jan 05, 2021

Indoor, but I wanna try some outdoor too!! THAT'S CRAYCRAY!!!

Reply

Maya -
16:32 Jan 05, 2021

Yes!!! CRAYCRAY!!!!! Do you do rock climbing on a rope or bouldering like the harder spots that are lower to the ground. I do both for fun. :)

Reply

. .
16:34 Jan 05, 2021

I do both for fun too!!

Reply

Maya -
16:37 Jan 05, 2021

That's so cool! I did a class once and it was really fun. Especially because the instructor kept having us do really strange things like climbing the windows instead of the walls and stacking shopping crates then climbing them. Every time his boss came in the building though we had to get down really quick and not look too suspicious. :DDDDD

Reply

. .
16:49 Jan 05, 2021

Ha that's hilarious!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
14:50 Jan 05, 2021

Ok so Florence is playing Everlys, that dude from Enola Holmes is playing Luke, what's her name is playing Raya, and Amandla is playing Karila.

Reply

. .
14:50 Jan 05, 2021

YAS!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
14:53 Jan 05, 2021

BUT WHO IS PLAYING ALARIC? AND ALTAIR? AND RIVA? AND LEIN? AND AURIN? AND MYSTERIOUS SINISTRIAN FEMALE? AND ANYA? AND EMERY? AND VERONE? AND NEPTHYS? AND ALTHEA? AND SCARY DUDE FROM THE 9TH???

Reply

. .
14:54 Jan 05, 2021

I DUNNO MAYBE FOCUS ON WRITINGGGGGGGG AND YEAH THAT'S A LOT OF A NAMES

Reply

Mira Caplan
14:56 Jan 05, 2021

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG H*&DTFUYGUHKFJHGKGKFJH. MHM. I need more dudes in TDR. I tend to only have girl characters, cuz that's easier for meeeeeee. Luke, you're a dude. HEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Reply

. .
15:00 Jan 05, 2021

Uriah Shelton for Alaric.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
03:27 Jan 05, 2021

LUke imagine two two mains in Enola Holmes as Eriene and Alaric/Luke. Idk who he looks like, but I legit couldn't stop shipping them through the entire thing XDDD She's also 16 irl, and he's 17. IT'S PERFECTTTTTTTTTTTTT KJ{P(*O&I^%W$TYUILHGKFJGDFHJ<

Reply

Mira Caplan
03:27 Jan 05, 2021

He also looks very Therin, but more Alaric. Or Luke. Idk. HEEEEEELP

Reply

Mira Caplan
03:28 Jan 05, 2021

But she's a total Eriene, though. Through the entire movie, I couldn't stop pointing that out XD

Reply

. .
12:47 Jan 05, 2021

I KNOW SHE'S A QUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!! FAVE MOVIE EVER BESIDES FORREST GUMP!!!!! NOW YOU HAVVEEEEEEE TO WATCH MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS!!! IT HAS LOCKHART, JUDI DENCH, QUEEN ELIZ FROM THE CROWN, JOHNNY DEPP, AND SO MANY MOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. I think Tewkesbery would be Luke.

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:11 Jan 05, 2021

GAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSPPPPPPPPPP YESSS I NEED TO WATCH THATTTTTTTTT!!!! Yeah, he would be Luke. He just gave off that vibe. AND SHES TOTES ERIENE

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
13:11 Jan 05, 2021

GAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSPPPPPPPPPP YESSS I NEED TO WATCH THATTTTTTTTT!!!! Yeah, he would be Luke. He just gave off that vibe. AND SHES TOTES ERIENE

Reply

. .
13:17 Jan 05, 2021

I think you need to stop comparing Eriene to other love stories, because you need to make it original. XD

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
02:34 Jan 05, 2021

Luke. I am not trying to be rude at all, but could you please fix my name in your bio? It's m-e-g-a-n, no h. hehe. :)

Reply

. .
12:44 Jan 05, 2021

NOOOO I SPELT IT WRONG WAHHHHHHHHHHH

Reply

Megan Sutherland
22:19 Jan 05, 2021

ITS FINE OK I WAS JUST LETTING YOU KNOW SO IF OTHER PEOPLE WANT TO FIND ME THEY WONT COME ASKING YOU WHO IS SHE I CANT FIND HER IM SORRY I SHOULDNT HAVE SAID ANYTHING

Reply

. .
22:36 Jan 05, 2021

CHECK OUT MY NEW STORY HON HON HON

Reply

Megan Sutherland
00:04 Jan 06, 2021

I WILLLLLLLLLLLLL THANK YOU FOR TELLING MEEEEEE

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
22:11 Jan 04, 2021

New thread againnnn! But I have another another worksheet....

Reply

. .
22:11 Jan 04, 2021

Lol I gotta do homework....

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:36 Jan 04, 2021

BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE then!!! I'll be writing TDR after, so...yeah. Bye, bestie!!!

Reply

. .
23:03 Jan 04, 2021

SEND ME THE CRESTS

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:07 Jan 04, 2021

I will after I finish this mandatory math thing my mom's making me do before I can use her phoneeeeeeeeeeeeeeee -_-

Reply

. .
23:12 Jan 04, 2021

Fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
22:36 Jan 04, 2021

BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE then!!! I'll be writing TDR after, so...yeah. Bye, bestie!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
16:05 Jan 04, 2021

hahahaha I LOVE THIS!!!! it's so funny, and your writing complements it as well :D YAY 😁 ~ Amethyst

Reply

. .
16:06 Jan 04, 2021

Thanks so much!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
21:10 Jan 05, 2021

TDR PART 9 HAS BEEN POSTED

Reply

. .
21:10 Jan 05, 2021

YASSS DID YOU FINISH MATH??

Reply

Mira Caplan
21:10 Jan 05, 2021

Pretty much yeah. I did like three pages and my brain melted so then I wroteeeee

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
21:10 Jan 05, 2021

Pretty much yeah. I did like three pages and my brain melted so then I wroteeeee

Reply

. .
21:13 Jan 05, 2021

Are you finished?????? ENTIRELY???

Reply

Mira Caplan
21:16 Jan 05, 2021

Kinda......mostly

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
21:16 Jan 05, 2021

Kinda......mostly

Reply

. .
21:17 Jan 05, 2021

UGHHHH YOU MUST FINISH

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
22:25 Jan 04, 2021

Finished the story with you in it. It's called Dead End.

Reply

. .
23:02 Jan 04, 2021

OMG YAYYYYYY

Reply

Ari Berri
23:04 Jan 04, 2021

XD

Reply

. .
23:42 Jan 04, 2021

XDDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
19:23 Jan 04, 2021

NEW THREADDD

Reply

. .
19:25 Jan 04, 2021

YES

Reply

Mira Caplan
19:26 Jan 04, 2021

HILOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Reply

. .
19:27 Jan 04, 2021

:D

Reply

Mira Caplan
19:28 Jan 04, 2021

I just told mystery LA teacher about Hemingway XDDD

Reply

. .
19:28 Jan 04, 2021

DID YOU TELL HER I FOUND IT???

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
15:38 Jan 04, 2021

"Tolkein copied grammar" .....-_- YEAH THAT'S GRAMMAR. YOU WILL BE AMAXING I"LL JUST BE AMAZING. Or just okay. BUT AMAXINGNESS WILL BE PART OF YOUR FUTURE AS AN AUTHOR

Reply

. .
15:38 Jan 04, 2021

Lol that's trueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... WE're both gonna be amaxing!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
15:42 Jan 04, 2021

....................................YEAH BUT YOULL BE SO MUCH BETTER DON'T DENY IT CUZ IT'S TRUE. I may have cooler names, but STILL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
15:42 Jan 04, 2021

....................................YEAH BUT YOULL BE SO MUCH BETTER DON'T DENY IT CUZ IT'S TRUE. I may have cooler names, but STILL

Reply

. .
15:43 Jan 04, 2021

I won't deny it, but I will deny you have cooler names XD

Reply

Mira Caplan
15:46 Jan 04, 2021

Uhm...VERADIS? TRISANDRA? ERIENE? ALTAIR? ALARIC? ALANI? EMERY? VYSERIS? MERALLYS? ARJA? CYRILLE? LOOK IN MY BIO Ok good. SEE YOU WILL BE BETTER IN THE LONG RUN AND YOU ARE BETTER NOW

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
15:46 Jan 04, 2021

Uhm...VERADIS? TRISANDRA? ERIENE? ALTAIR? ALARIC? ALANI? EMERY? VYSERIS? MERALLYS? ARJA? CYRILLE? LOOK IN MY BIO Ok good. SEE YOU WILL BE BETTER IN THE LONG RUN AND YOU ARE BETTER NOW

Reply

. .
15:48 Jan 04, 2021

THOSE ARE SO STEREOTYPICALLY FANTASTICAL IN YOUR NAMES!!! LIRELIAN. AFYNTHA. LARGON. MISANLAR. QURMAKLAR. GIMAGA. GNOMEA.

Reply

Show 2 replies
Mira Caplan
15:49 Jan 04, 2021

Alderon, Alcator, Sinistra, Forane, and Riverdeen. Akasha and Akavhi, Keydove and Kemva, Ember and Emryn, Farran and Fara, and Adrian and Adriya (Ik, some of those are pretty boring. BUT THAT'S JUST THEIR COMMON NAMES.)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
15:49 Jan 04, 2021

Alderon, Alcator, Sinistra, Forane, and Riverdeen. Akasha and Akavhi, Keydove and Kemva, Ember and Emryn, Farran and Fara, and Adrian and Adriya (Ik, some of those are pretty boring. BUT THAT'S JUST THEIR COMMON NAMES.)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.