414 comments

Funny Fantasy Kids

~*~𝒮𝒶𝓂𝒶𝓃𝓉𝒽𝒶~*~


My green eyes throw a panicked glance as the timer ticking away on Ms. Kara’s desk. It’s practically a bomb: when it runs out, we have to turn in our final exams for biology. 

Three minutes. Three minutes ‘till the test is over.

I hastily jot down my name down at the top of my paper. It’s fast but neatly stenciled down: 𝒮𝒶𝓂𝒶𝓃𝓉𝒽𝒶 𝒯𝑜𝓇𝓇𝑒𝓈. I wouldn’t dream of inking a messy signature: I’m a star student, after all.

Oops. Sorry if that sounded braggy. (Wouldn’t want to be a Todd Flint.) But it’s true—I've been at Hawkings since kindergarten. Eight years of being the perfect pupil at my private school. 

I check my answers on my test. Yep, yep, yep; all are the answer I meant to write down. They seem right to me, anyways.

I observe the rest of the room. My whole class, about ten kids, is still scribbling away. Besides Rosalee Adams—she’s done, her paper on her desk, her gaze fixed on something out the window. I stifle a snort. She’s probably zoned out staring at the bushes or something. 

Rosalee is weird. Really weird. Our whole school knows it. She’s very antisocial—which I normally wouldn’t judge, seeing I’m an introvert myself. But she literally never interacts with anyone if she doesn’t have to. 

She shows up at school and is gone the instant the bell rings. She disappears in the woods framing our school during recess, something I can’t understand why the principal would let her do. She’s constantly murmuring under her breath and acting like she revealed a secret anytime somebody says something to her while she’s doing it. She’s like the modern, real-world version of Luna Lovegood—just, she isn’t magic.

The weirder thing about the weird girl is that she’d be normal if not for her quirks. Rosalee has messy strawberry blond hair falling to her waist—hair I would die to have replace my plain brown locks. She has wide blue eyes and there’s always a faint smile on her lips, like she’s aware of something everyone doesn't know—another odd trait. Rosalee and I are neck-to-neck in academic skills, too—she’s the only one in the grade as smart as me.

Next in my line of classmates I’m observing is Todd Flint. He’s a tall braggart who has enough academic brains to get into this school, but he’s still pretty dumb. For instance, he thinks people care when he remarks about his muscles.

My eyes meet my friend’s heads, hunched over their desks a row in front of me. Melody and I have been best friends since kindergarten, and this year, Asher, an eleven-year-old, skipped two grades and joined our class. He, Melody and I are now a trio of close friends.

“DOOOOO! DOO-DUL-DEE-DOOOO! DOO DOO!”

I sigh and watch Ms. Kara turn off her alarm clock. It has the most obnoxious ring tone and I’ve hated the stupid timer since I first heard it “doo”.

“That’s it!” Ms. Kara exclaims. “Time’s up, everyone!” She claps her hands. “Pencils down, papers turned over, and seats pushed in. You guys go straight to the cafeteria, okay?”

Everyone chants, “Okay!”

I stand up and meet my friends at the door. 

“Do you think you did well?” Asher shrugs at Melody and me as we start walking to lunch.

“I dunno,” Melody smiles. “I think I got the tibia and the fibula mixed up on that bone question.”

I laugh. “Happens to the best of us.”

Asher smiles. “Seriously, who names these things?” He thinks for a moment as we step into the lunch line. I see Rosalee disappear down the hall. She brings her lunch instead of buying it. “I’d remember bones better if they were named, I don’t know…Jeff. And Fred. And Bob.”

“Girls too,” Melody elbows him. “There could be bones named Sasha and Jillian and Arynn and—”

“Hush!”

Melody sends me a side-eye. “Did you just command me to be quiet?”

“Yup.”

“I will never shut my yapper!” She pumps her fist in the air.

We all laugh and sit down at the nearest empty table after we’ve received and paid for our food.  

“Truth or dare?”

I stare at Asher. “Truth.”

“Lemme rephrase that: dare or dare?”

I snort. “Preeeetty sure it doesn’t work that way. But dare.”

“Very wise choice,” he winks. “Now, listen: you have to do this, okay? No chickening out. But it’ll follow the Rules of Dares, don’t worry.”

I nod. “Sure.” The Rules are awesome. Dares have to be doable, they can’t be dangerous and/or get you in trouble, and lastly, they can’t be embarrassing. No, like, going up to your crush and saying “You’re a donkey, sir.”  

“So…what?” Melody prompts.

Asher grins evilly. “Samantha, you hafta go up to Rosalee and ask her why she always sneaks to the forest at recess. Oh, and why she’s always muttering stuff.” 

“No!” I explode. “No, nope, no way, NO!”

“Why?”

“Because—because…I-I—” I sputter, “NO!”

Asher and Melody stare at me, then burst into a fit of giggles. “Seriously, Sammy, why not?” Melody says, acting like she’s genuinely curious.

“It’s against the Rules!” I protest.

Asher snickers. “Not at all. You have to do it.”

I huff and turn my back on my friends.

A second passes and then… 

“Don’t be a chicken,” Asher and Melody singsong in unison.

I sigh and turn around. “Fine.”

The bell rings, signaling that we’re allowed to go start recess if we want to. My eyes are trained on Rosalee, who’s quietly picking through her lunchbox, alone at the table closest to the door. As the bell rings, I watch her face light up. She gets up and races out the doors.

I sigh again and start following her, wondering what the heck I just got myself into.


~*~ℝ𝕠𝕤𝕒𝕝𝕖𝕖~*~


Finally! FINALLY!

The sound of that bell is music to my sick-of-chatter ears. Spending fifteen minutes inside a room with almost a hundred kids is bad enough. Spending that time right before recess, the best part of the school day? Pure torture.

I don’t care about the playground. I’m aching to practice my powers, and the forest is the only location private enough to to do it.

As the bell rings, I hop up and push the doors open. Without looking back, I sprint towards the forest.

My feet pound on the squishy fresh soil as I pass the playground. Some monkey bars, benches, and pull-up bars for people like Todd. I don’t care.

I relax as I enter the woods. Trees line the footpath only one pair of feet has ever tread on—for the past something-years I’ve been walking this way to the clearing. 

Eventually, I’m there. Pine trees tint the air with their crisp scent and I get into position in the small clearing. I focus on a pile of pine needles on the ground and thrust my hands towards them, then up. The thin leaves mirror my movement, jumping up into the air. 

I concentrate and lift them higher and higher, until the bale is positioned a good five yards above my head. I drop my hands to my sides and smile as it rains pine needles.

I laugh as I tumble to the ground. People think I’m weird, looney Rosalee Adams, but honestly, I’d rather be an outcast of true weirdos and have powers than be a normal old human who fits in.

“Rosalee?”

I jump and madly glance around. Then I see her.

Samantha Torres is standing where the clearing and my path meet. Her fingers nervously tap against her jeans and her curls of dark brown hair whip around her neck as a gust of wind pushes us both.

“Um, hi,” she says.

I shoot to my feet. What had I done? “Hello. Um, how much did you see?” Straight to the point, yeah, but I needed to know.

“See what?”

“What?”

Huh?” She squints.

I laugh nervously. Thank god she hadn’t seen my powers at work. Even her being here made me a bit jumpy. Especially interacting with her.

I got my powers at birth, and accidentally killed my mother with them. Me and my dad lived near my school, but he didn’t know that I had magic. Nobody did. And I wanted to keep it that way.

I’m careful, but just careful enough. People think I’m weird, and sure, I am. I constantly mutter spells and stuff under my breath, and while I’d rather kids not notice, it’s in my first language—Elvish—so I’m fine. Same with sneaking off towards this clearing: people notice, but they don’t care.

Having Samantha here…yikes. I’m probably going to slip up at some point.

“Nothing,” I smile, trying to pretend like nothing happened. “Why are you here? Are you allowed to be here?” I grin as she opened her mouth to respond then shuts it. She definitely isn’t allowed—the only reason I am is because I mind-controlled Principal Pelegreen. I hate mind-controlling, but I needed permission to go into the woods.

“I’m here because of truth-or-dare,” Samantha admitted.

“Yeah? Why?”

“See, uh…” her voice trails off.

“Samantha—”

“Please,” she cuts me off, “Sammy or Sam.”

“Maybe Sammy,” I smile, “but not Sam. I know a guy named Sam and I hate him. He’s a dumbo who brags too much.”

Sammy laughs. “Sounds like Todd Flint.”

“You know him?” I don’t know why I’m surprised by this, but I am.

“Well, we’re not friends or anything, but yeah. He’s in my class, after all, so I’ve ‘known’ him for years. You should, too. Although I guess you can be in a guy’s class and never talk to him….” she stares at me apologetically. “Oh, geez, sorry if that was rude.”

“No problem. I just don’t like being around people that much.” They’re annoying, they talk way too much, and I just don’t like people. 

“I like people, but I’m still introverted.”

“Me too, definitely,” I smile.

“Yeah,” Samantha nods, “I can see that. Me, I’m up in my room a ton reading books. It’s actually funny because on tons of quizzes, it’s like ‘how many books do you read a year?’ Typically, the highest answer is fifty. And I’m like, nooooo, I read at least a hundred novels a year…”

Wow, Sammy pretty much just described my life when I’m not practicing my powers. “Yes! Exactly! Me too! What books do you like reading?”

“Well,” she ponders, “Keeper of the Lost Cities and The Hunger Games are my favorite series, but only because I can’t list every single Rick Riordan book. Rick is my fav author, ‘cuz of how funny he is, but those other series are still amazing.”

My jaw literally drops. “He’s my favorite author, too!”

We grin at each other profoundly, and I think, Wow, who knew? Having a conversation and not wanting to run off screaming? Dang, Rosalee, this is crazy!

“So, uh, anyways,” Samantha clears her throat, “I’m here for truth-or-dare. Asher asked me to ask you why you always come here, and what you murmur under your breath.”

She stared at me expectantly.

“Ummm…”

“Please tell me! I swear I won’t spill!”

I sigh. I never dreamed of telling anybody about my powers, but Sammy and I are becoming fast friends. Besides, it’ll feel good to get this weight off my chest. “Okay. But promise not to be weirded out or anything.”

“A weird explanation for a weird thing? No problem.”

“So…” I hesitate, “I have powers.”

Her face perks up. “Whuh?”

“I have magic. Powers. Magic powers.”

“What’s your power? Invisibility? Telekinesis? Super-strength? Flying? Mind-read—”

“All of them,” I blurt. “See, uh…I don’t just have a power. I have magic. Magic in general. So I can do a lot of things at different times. Sometimes I can teleport things. Other times I can walk through walls. My most common power is telekinesis, and the rarest is flying and mind control.”

“You’ve flown?” She says, her eyes stretched wider than I could’ve thought. “And mind-controlled people? Who?”

I shook my head. “Sorry, not saying.”

“Okay. Can you explain a little more?” 

“I got my powers at birth. I don’t know where they came from, but I like them. The end.” There’s a moment of silence, then… “Are you freaked out? Or do you think that’s cool?”  

“ARE YOU KIDDING!”

“Huh?”

“That’s awful! Really weird! Uugh, I hate you, you little alien! You’re a threat to society with those powers! I’m calling the police!”

I gasp. My worst fears are coming true.


~*~𝒮𝒶𝓂𝒶𝓃𝓉𝒽𝒶~*~


  “Ro-Rosalee? You okay?”

The girl has been standing in the same position for a good twenty seconds, her eyes glazed over and her mouth frozen in time.

I walked over and gently shake her. “Rosalee! Snap out of it!”

“DON’T!” She yells, coming to life. She backs up then glances around. “Wait, what? What just happened?”

“You blanked,” I say. “I told you about the dare and asked for you to tell me about it, then you froze up. Are you okay?”

Rosalee seems a little dazed. “Um, yeah.”

She shook her head, presumably to clear it. “Wow. Okay. Geez. I imagined it. I imagined it. Samantha isn’t going to call the police. She didn’t find out about my—”

“What?” I cock my head. “About your what?”

She seems to have forgotten I was there. She jumps.

“Sorry,” I breathe as I help her up from where she stumbled backwards.

“It’s okay. I’m sorry. I’m just a little jumpy.”

I nod then recall what she had said. “When you blanked, why did fake-me call the police? And what do you ‘have’?”

“You called the police because of what I have. You got freaked out.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Stop apologizing. I made it all up. You’ve just been standing there.”

I wonder what Rosalee ‘has’. She’s weird, but I have to revise my impression of her. Weird isn’t bad. She’s just a normal human being who goes into the woods. She isn’t a lunatic. She’s my friend.

A whistle tweets in the distance, a sharp, ear-spilling shriek that echos over to us. “Time to go in,” I say at the shrill noise.

We start walking back towards our school when Rosalee stops.

“Rosalee?” I say. “Let’s keep going.”

“No. Wait. Do you still want to know about what I constantly say, why I’m here in the forest every recess?”

“I…guess?”

“Because I can tell you.”

“Um…” What am I supposed to say in response to that?

“Wouldn't want to lose that dare, would you?” She laughs, but it’s really shaky. She seems nervous as her hands fidget with one another.

I quickly say, “Oh, it's okay. Asher dared to me to ask you—he didn’t say you had to answer.”

“No… I want to tell you. I’ve been keeping this to myself for way too long. I need to tell somebody. Please, Sammy. Can I tell you?”

I’m taken aback. “Yeah, sure.”

We start trotting again. Nobody’s on the playground when we emerge from the woods. We keep walking in silence until we’re right outside the school door.

“Ready to tell me yet?” I say, turning to Rosalee’s face.

“More than ready. One thing first, though.”

“Yeah?”

Her blue eyes glitter and a smile crowns her lips. “Can you keep a secret?”

August 19, 2020 02:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

414 comments

Akshat .
14:31 Aug 20, 2020

Answer to your riddle Aerin B. --> Wrong. That is the answer. PS. As Akshat. Didn't you do this riddle earlier?

Reply

14:36 Aug 20, 2020

Yessss! P. S. I don’t think so...although I might’ve. I think every now and then I’ll switch to jokes or questions, because it’s tricky to find different, good riddle every day! P. S. S. Thanks for takin’ my quiz ;). I love your name, LOL. Oh, and (as you saw) I added the random flash-fiction thingy I wrote to it because I sometimes share my writing with my classmates (I text with 70% of my grade and my class, which is where I typically post quizzes) and Reedsy-ers already see it, hehe.

Reply

Akshat .
14:46 Aug 20, 2020

You have Lord Voldemort's pleasure.

Reply

16:11 Aug 20, 2020

Okay, geez, I’ve screwed up big time. Voldemort, Akshat is a boy, right? Woooow this whole time I thought I was talking to a girl, LOL Okay that has really confused, almost as much as when I realized Batool was a girl. SERIOUSLY, I DON’T KNOW THE GENDER OF THESE NAMMMMMMES! Um, okay, that’s it. Bye-bye, Voldemort!

Reply

Akshat .
16:12 Aug 20, 2020

PS. Akshat here. WHAT!!! I THOUGHT YOU KNEW I WAS A BOY!? Although to be fair, even I thought that you were a boy. Same with Batool though! I used to imagine Hassan Minhaj whenever I read her comments.

Reply

16:14 Aug 20, 2020

Nope, I thought you were female. Haha, yeah, a couple people have thought I was a boy. Yep, my mind was kinda blown when I looked up her name and realized it was female. Cuz there are people on Reedsy from all over the world, and I typically only know the genders of English names—so, yup, I thought you were a girl. It doesn’t really matter that you’re a boy instead, but my mind is still a little blown.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
10:16 Aug 21, 2020

Batool is a girl! Wow top 3 are girls!!! #girls rule! No offence to boys 😆

Reply

12:50 Aug 21, 2020

Yessss girl power! Seriously I have multiple shirts saying that. Hehe, no offense. Actually...every freakin’ person ON the leaderboard in female!

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
14:46 Aug 20, 2020

😉😉😉😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Niveeidha Palani
10:03 Aug 20, 2020

Hi Aerin! I think I already commented on this story, but congratulations for moving up a space in the leaderboard!

Reply

11:37 Aug 20, 2020

Thank you! And thanks to Sia, Akshat, and (probably) Celeste for upvoting me so much to get their! I seriously got over 200 karma points last night, LOL. Thanks again!

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
12:00 Aug 20, 2020

No problem! :-) Happy, to help :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
19:19 Aug 19, 2020

A great and creative story as always Aerin! I really enjoyed it. You had pretty good imagery and I enjoyed the simple voices of the two narrators. I did find quite a few grammar errors. Lemme point them out: "Rosalee isn’t going to call the police" I believe the name here should be Samantha. (check the context) "Some monkey bars, benches, pull-up bars for people like Todd" I think you need an "and" after the second comma. "only one pair of feed" I thin that should be feet? Not really sure about this one. "until they bale" This is incorr...

Reply

19:33 Aug 19, 2020

Thank you for alllll that feedback! I’ll make sure to fix those ;)

Reply

Amany Sayed
19:38 Aug 19, 2020

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:30 Aug 19, 2020

Wow! This was a really great story! When you say, "For instance, he thinks people care when he remarks about his muscles," maybe you could have rephrased that as "He talks about his 'muscles' all the time, thinking people actually care." I think other than that you did an amazing job! I'm a big Harry Potter fan, so I loved how you compared Rosalee to Luna Lovegood. It makes the story feel relatable and personal. Rick Riordan is also one of my favorite authors!!! I also liked how you wrote this entire story in the period of about an hour. It'...

Reply

17:43 Aug 19, 2020

Thank you sooo much! Yeah, Rick Riordan rocks! Thanks! P. S. Haha, thanks. But my dad was driving and my chatterbox sister was playing video games, so it actually wasn’t so bad ;)

Reply

17:49 Aug 19, 2020

Haha, I get motion sickness so I could never write or read in a car. That, and my brother finds pleasure in hitting me and stealing my stuff...you can imagine what road trips are like 😂!

Reply

18:22 Aug 19, 2020

Haha!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Kingston
17:14 Aug 19, 2020

Great story. The dialogue flows very well and I like how Rosalee and Samantha bond over books. Keep up the good work and keep writing!!

Reply

17:23 Aug 19, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jesna Anna S.
12:58 Aug 19, 2020

Sent me back to school, remembering the good old days! Thank you for the story! I appreciate your time to read my stories and offer your feedback.

Reply

12:59 Aug 19, 2020

Thank you! Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
05:55 Aug 19, 2020

Nice job, this was a fun story! :D And good use of multiple POVs. I'm wondering--was Rosalee's little blank-out episode one of her powers where she can see into the future, or was it just her literally blanking out like an introvert? Hmm...

Reply

12:15 Aug 19, 2020

Thanks! Haha, nope, it wasn’t magical. She was just so afraid of what was gonna happen she blanked and imagined she went ahead and told Samantha.

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
12:21 Aug 19, 2020

Oh ok, just curious 😅

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tolu Odel
02:54 Aug 19, 2020

"What can smell but doesn't have a nose?" Fish is my guess. CONGRATS on your novel! Are you also 11, like Sarah Freeman?

Reply

02:57 Aug 19, 2020

Yesss, you got it right! CONGRATS! Haha, thank you! I worked on this novel for over a year; I’m so happy I finished it without ditching it...🤣🤣🤣 Yep, I’m 11! Sarah and I are friends off Reedsy, too. Although I’m not supposed to have my age on the internet, so I’m gonna delete this comment once you’ve responded, okay? Thanks! ~Aerin!!! P. S. I just posted a new story; would you mind checking it out if you have a chance? Thanks!

Reply

Sia S
03:15 Aug 19, 2020

Your 11!! Me too!

Reply

12:01 Aug 19, 2020

Hehe yes

Reply

Sia S
14:02 Aug 19, 2020

so many authors here are young!!

Reply

14:06 Aug 19, 2020

Yup

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tolu Odel
01:38 Aug 20, 2020

Awesome! Whoops, sorry about revealing your age. Sure :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 0 replies
User_2443 0967
14:26 Jan 19, 2021

You're so welcme!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bonnie Clarkson
13:27 Jan 08, 2021

Very good, few mistakes. I think that you meant friends' rather than friend's. Keep up the good work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Coco Longstaff
12:48 Jan 04, 2021

Wow. This is an adventurous story and an interesting take on the prompt. I loved it, and the characters are so lucky that they have truth-or-dare rules. My friends just dare the craziest things!? I like the sentence Her blue eyes glitter and a smile crowns her lips. It’s very specific and magical. Love it!

Reply

14:21 Jan 04, 2021

Thank you so much! And haha, yeah, me and my friends always used the Rules of Dares (yeah, we’re *so* creative at naming things) when playing truth or dare so these characters did toooo 😂

Reply

Coco Longstaff
23:28 Jan 04, 2021

Aww so cool🤩

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:29 Dec 08, 2020

Hi Aerin! Why am I reading old stories :P (itz cos i bored lol) Wonderful story btw! How is you doing? Popped in 2 say hai uwu :D Sythe

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aishat Adebayo
20:28 Sep 03, 2020

OK this left me awestricken. Absolutely brilliant! You're going places Aerin wonderful expressions and punctuations.. Ps jot down my name down- thats tautology , rather get rid of the first down

Reply

20:35 Sep 03, 2020

Thank you LOTS! Actually, my two most recent stories use these same character! Thanks for stopping by! P. S. A bit confused, but coool

Reply

Aishat Adebayo
21:47 Sep 03, 2020

Lol i mean the correct statement, grammatically should be 'jot my name down' in your story ...the first '↓' is just repetition .it's called tautology..you can look it up

Reply

21:58 Sep 03, 2020

That makes SO much more sense. I thought you meant your name was tautology...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Gip Roberts
20:25 Sep 02, 2020

Very good fantasy writing, as always. Wish I had magic powers like Rosalee, but unfortunately, I was only born with the "introvert" part of the deal. As for critical feedback, the only thing I didn't like was "green eyes". Why does every other character in a story these days have green eyes? It doesn't really have anything to do with quality of writing, I'm just curious.

Reply

20:29 Sep 02, 2020

Thanks! Haha, me too. Magic would be awesome ;) Hehe, I have nooo idea! I hardly ever do brown eyes because, well, idk. I have blue eyes, so I want to make my character with blue eyes, but I feel like that color doesn’t match with some appearances. Yeah, I always try to make the appearances of characters...hmm....’matching’, and I often use green because it goes with a lot ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
S. Asad
17:56 Sep 02, 2020

Lovely. I loved in the beginning how you wrapped Rosalee with mysterious personality. And It seems like you worked hard on your vocabulary as well. The way you explained everything without even telling it till the end, amused me.

Reply

18:06 Sep 02, 2020

Thank you so much! WOAH, THANKS! Being are constantly telling me to show, not tell, and while I’m always improving, it’s a slow process ;). Being told there is no telling is AWESOME!! 😆😆😆 Thanks for stopping by!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
15:44 Aug 27, 2020

Cool story, Aerin! The dialogue, the narrator's voice is great. I love the plot and the mystery and am heading over to Part 2 now.

Reply

16:39 Aug 27, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
August Jett
14:07 Aug 24, 2020

Wow, this is amazing! The blanking out added a nice twist, and you left me wanting more at the end. Will there be a part 2? Also, I really like your description of Rosalee; "Rosalee has messy strawberry blond hair falling to her waist—hair I would die to have replace my plain brown locks. She has wide blue eyes and there’s always a faint smile on her lips, like she’s aware of something everyone doesn't know—another odd trait." Also, her name.😁 I can't believe you're 11, I would have thought you were much older based on the quality of your s...

Reply

15:00 Aug 24, 2020

Thank youuuu!! P. S. YESSS I LOVE THOSE BOOKS

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
18:18 Aug 23, 2020

You move very smoothly between POV of Rosalee and Samantha. Having YA/MG kids seems very natural for you. When I try it, often sounds forced. Either my editing is off or yours is spot on because I did not notice any little mistakes. This is very professionally done. If you have a piece never seen on the net, you should try submitting somewhere for pay.

Reply

18:21 Aug 23, 2020

Thank you! Yup, younger kids’ voices are natural because I AM a ‘younger kid’. I typically write characters that are tweens and teens because that’s the voice I know well ;). Thanks! You always catch any mistakes so I’m glad this doesn’t have any! Yay, thank you!!! I often enter writing contests other than Reedsy, too, but my options are limited because of my age. But thanks for the vote of confidence!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Phillip Moore
07:00 Aug 23, 2020

Loved it! The perspective changes definitely keep it unique and interesting! My only big note would be to say you could certainly benefit from a proofread/grammar and spell check! Keep it up!

Reply

12:36 Aug 23, 2020

Thank youuu!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.