272 comments

Fantasy Fiction

** This story has lines from Edgar Allan Poe's poem Dream-Land, my favorite poem, and you can see by now that EAP is one of my favorite authors as this is the second story that has a poem of his in it. I hope you enjoy it in all of its oddness.**


By a route obscure and lonely

Haunted by ill angels only

Where an Eidolon named Night

On a black throne reigns upright


“Tha’s the thing about this village,” Old Nula intoned, “darkness is evil.” She had her stand near packed up by then. Lime and ice had tinged the road lime like the color of her rags, so she could wander without danger. She mumbled to herself whenever a newcomer came to town, in her old batty way. No one paid her any mind.


A man had arrived. Nula could tell the ilk of people when they prowled through the gates. An unmistakable bird call would sound each time; sparrow for lady, raven for man. As soon as the birds called, Nula listened. It wouldn’t do to forsake nature’s wisdom, she’d decided long ago. There had been a flock of ravens earlier in the wee hours and sure enough, he was a he.


Nula didn’t exist to the other villagers. They went about their own lives, wrapped in the shadowy shrouds of disillusion and blind to the actions of people who were free. Nula was one such person. Nature, to her, left her signs, clues, things that one could only find if they were unbound from self-absorption. That morning, though, when the newcomer came, his eyes weren’t glossed in uncaring. They weren’t blind, no, they were open.


He had walked right up to her, letting his breath fall unequivocally onto the frosted grass. Yet Old Nula was in a fright, thinking that the man was a ghost. He had been sent to take her away, she thought, to do evil and forsake Nature. She shivered in fright and reached for a stake. 


“Hush, woman, I mean you no harm.” Her grip on the stake faltered for only a moment, but she stood strong. 


“Eh? Why you here then? Answer me!” Nula grew stronger and stronger in her conviction that the stake she held would save her from everything and nothing could threaten her. With a breath of pride, she inched closer with it raised. 


“Why do you think I’m here?” He spoke in a rich accent. “I seek help.” Nula’s raggedy eyelids shot up. They’d been scarred by the threshes and thrashes of branches whenever she left town, marred by the rocks that adorned the mountains she’d once climbed… but that was too long ago. Now she was a feeble old lady, and the only activity her eyelids could manage was a dramatic leap.


“You… I’ve heard stories ‘bout yer kind. They don’t speak kindly of ye.” she said. Slowly and carefully, she brought the stake to a nice waist level. 


“Ah, well, those are rumors. Surely you’d know the difference by now, Nulina.” He was cool and crisp, responding in a serene manner.


“How do ye know me name?” 


“Oh, ‘my kind’ knows many things.” Seeing that Nula was pondering, the man stepped closer. He was careful not to push it, so as to drive her to fight him. In the days of yore, as he remembered, she’d been a fierce warrior. Such a pity that she should peddle in a dank village rather than living the days past. 


“We want no evil here! Leave, night-thrall.” Nula raised her stake as she yelled, being careful so as not to bring attention. The few pedestrians paid the pair no mind; countless times the old hag had felt deep sorrow at their ignorance… but she would take no chances. Her town was peaceful, and she liked it just as it was. 


“No, no! I mean no harm!” For the first time since the beginning of the brief conversation, the man was panicked. His eyes were stricken in a red web and his face contorted like a braid. The world around them seemed to slow as Nula fixed her gaze on him. The trees ceased their rustling and began to shiver noiselessly. 


“Begone.” With the anger of an angry grandmother, she stepped forward to thrust the spear. The man was gone.


**

For the heart whose woes are legion

‘Tis a peaceful, soothing region

For the spirit that walks in shadow

‘Tis– oh, ‘tis an Eldorado!


Morgan Fay drifted silently through the night. He was tired from talking with the old warrior, drained from his journeys. Long ago, he had been out on a night not so different. It had been cold as it was in the town, with shivering trees and angry wind. It had been deep in the impenetrable expanses of the forest, where the mysteries of nature were concealed between cracks in the roots. There was nothing more invigorating than feeling your soul blend with that of the earth, the trees, the land… but at night? The world was awash in pain, anguish, despair. The night was a poison, a sickness. 


He had an empty cup of ale when he stumbled into the forest, drops hanging like dew on his shaven beard. There was a faint uproar from the bar he had ran from but he was deaf to all noises. Morgan kept drifting farther out of consciousness and into the grip of intoxication. 


La-uera sendirian… A cold voice seemed to ooze from the sky itself and crumble to the ground in wisps. There was a song, soft but ominous. The lyrics were sharp and edged, uttered in a foreign tongue… Morgan… the song was beginning to surround the desperate man as he stumbled back and forth… 


Morgan… Do you wish to be free? All of the dark clouds that had shrouded his mind in a clump had been pierced by the voice. So alert was he that the moon seemed brighter than the sun had ever been in all of his years.


In Morgan’s intoxication, as is customary, he made poor decisions. First, to wander into the night alone. Second, to leave the expanse of the nearby town. Third, to accept the offer that the mysterious voice offered. As soon as his head nodded, the voice thickened, the sounds lengthened, the world stretched. 


Good, good. The voice was laughing. When Morgan awoke, he had chains of darkness around his wrist. 


Nula's village was his last hope, the only place he might find the knife that could free him. Of course, she wasn't likely to give it to him... he would have to get it himself.


After the sun had set and all of the wandering people had gone to bed, Morgan hoisted himself from the shadows. Darkness was like a heavy mist that sunk down and down in waves and was somehow discernible. Le Fay Street, Gawain Street, Genevieve Street... they were all quiet, the empty veins of the cadaver that was the town.


Nula's shop was right ahead, where there was a small flickering candle that always remained to ward off the poisonous dark from her wares. Morgan had gained much knowledge through the darkness, such terrible things that he'd rather not know intermingled with things of such interest that he giggled at them. The frail old lady was not one to idly disobey.


Morgan snuck his dark fingers under the flap and climbed in. There, snoring, was Old Nula. Drool slipped and curved from her lips to her collarbone. His heart pounded in his chest as he walked past her, almost starting at her loud snores. On the floor, there were many objects, various things of interest.


Ah, the Club of Brabantio, the lava hilt still glowing.


The poison whip of Claudius, lime as ever.


A couple of deadly smoke bombs.


Some old tarot cards.


An evil eye charm.


There wasn't anything there that didn't pull his fancy, but he forced himself away. You're here for one thing, he thought, don't get distracted.


The knife was nowhere in sight, not on the ground or the shelves. Every nook and cranny, every single hole and crack Morgan checked while staring at the snoring woman, but to no avail. Had she sold it? Surely not, she wouldn't try to burden anyone... Morgan doubted she sold anything in this town or made even a measly profit.


Then he saw it, when his hopes had just begun to sink like a ring into the ocean, ever deeper into despair. Beneath a book in the rightmost corner was a case. He cared not for the old lady now and pushed it aside. With a gleam, the knife Nocturne was revealed.


"Ha! I shall be free!" Morgan was giddy with excitement. His joy clapped against the silence of the night until the whoops echoed through the distance. As he was about to raise it to his arms, Old Nula pushed herself up to her feet. Ah, just another day, nothing special, she thought. Then she saw the man with the knife in his hand and yelled.


"Yeh'll kill us all! No!" But it was too late. In an explosion of darkness, Morgan's face contorted. There was no turning back, for all future decisions would cascade from the decision made long ago, the drunken one, which caged him and left him trapped. All through the night, a grim voice rang out. Oh, the foolish traveller, oh, the foolish man... now you'll lay beside him in a grim and undead land.


**

But the traveller, travelling through it

May not– dare not openly view it

Never its mysteries are exposed

To the weak human eye unclosed

March 16, 2021 18:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

272 comments

Amany Sayed
12:44 Mar 17, 2021

This was sooo gooood! You have such a way with words! Can I ask something, do you write poetry? You'd be good at it if you haven't already. Your descriptions and metaphors and similes are just so...juicy for lack of a better word! I sort of disagree, this kind of did have a plot. I've written my fair share of plotless stories and this isn't one of them. Anyway, this was awesome. Keep writing!

Reply

. .
12:46 Mar 17, 2021

Thank you Amany!!! Well, I do read a lot of poetry like Edgar Allan Poe, which is in this one, and some Coleridge, and I did try my hand at a little bit. I'll certainly try some more if you think I'd be good at it!! Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!! Ah, well, that's because I added much more. The previous one ended after he was imprisoned by the darkness.

Reply

Amany Sayed
12:49 Mar 17, 2021

You're welcome! I totally do! You crowned me the queen of poetry once, didn't you? Consider it a special request from the queen herself ;) You're so welcomeee! Oh, that makes sense!

Reply

. .
12:49 Mar 17, 2021

Ha lol I didddddddd because you are poetry KWEEN. :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
12:09 Mar 17, 2021

DO YOU GUYS GET MY EASTER EGG REFS??????

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:15 Mar 16, 2021

This kind of reminds me of "existential crises", ngl. With the two stories in one that are very different, yet connected. Annnnnd since I loved "existential crises", it's natural that I loved this one, too. You have a way with words. I couldn't tear my eyes off the screen until I read the entire story. It had me hooked. I like that you used EAP's poems. (And before you ask, yes, I did read some of them.) The Minor Errors Police didn't have to stop by your house 👏🏾 Great job :)))

Reply

. .
20:17 Mar 16, 2021

Heehee I didn't see much of a connection, but I'm glad that you saw what I didn't!!!!!! That be so sweeeeeeeeet!!! EAP IS AMAZING!! Lol the Minor Errors Police, Captain Skybelle.

Reply

20:28 Mar 16, 2021

I mean, the connection wasn't much of a "connection" besides the fact that it showed that darkness is evil lol Yesssss (I literally just found out one of his poems is called "Annabel Lee" XD) Yep, that's me. Ready to bust down your doors or clap for you at any given moment.

Reply

. .
21:54 Mar 16, 2021

Oh yeah lolllllllllll YOU DON'T KNOW ANNABEL LEE????? WHAT ABOUT THE RAVEN????? ONCE UPON A MIDNIGHT DREARY... XPPPPPPP I PROCLAIM YOU COMMISSIONER OF THE MINOR ERRORS POLICE.

Reply

22:17 Mar 16, 2021

I've read The Raven and Alone. That's it lol. I was honestly surprised I didn't know about Annabel Lee sooner XD I will gladly accept that honor. https://www.memesmonkey.com/images/memesmonkey/51/5120ed801b40eecda281df243d769141.jpeg

Reply

. .
22:23 Mar 16, 2021

Heeheeheeheeheehee well he's one of my all-time faves. XD COMMISSIONER SKYBELLE.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
10:06 Mar 22, 2021

Prophecies? Worldbuilding? yesssss i need em for bombbbut not the cliche type eitherrrrr ughhhhhh plej?

Reply

. .
11:56 Mar 22, 2021

Okkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!! So bomb is sci-fi tho, right, so shouldn't there be another color that can see the future if there's going to be a prophecy?? Also, give me a run-down of stuff that you want mentioned in the proph.

Reply

Sia S
12:23 Mar 22, 2021

Yeshhhhh yes, well, um, I'm actually going to convert it too sci-fi fantasy at the middle of the plot arc, sooo yeah... Mmm hmmm, maybe something like diff parts of the prophecy refer to Renna, Zaina, Sadira, and the others? What do you think?

Reply

. .
12:44 Mar 22, 2021

Ok!! Well, for the plot I would need some quick insight into what your plans for the plot is... heehee... like what the end is going to be or what the quest will be.

Reply

Sia S
14:10 Mar 22, 2021

Ehehe Well, I haven't exactly planned the quest part yet, but I know that they're main goal will be hide from the govt, help other teens get out, a secret (which I cannot sayy) and remain hidden with humans.

Reply

. .
14:18 Mar 22, 2021

Ah, I don't know if that's enough to go on but I'll try: In the darkest shade of tire Young unique femmes will conspire To bring the end of the land of fire and a beginning in the new dawn Alphabet shall mark them pure As they uncover the forgotten lore Break out of their shells, demur And shake the world like never before The souls of evil will hear their cries ambitions in the night And strive to corrupt them with lies But they shall see the light The light will shine through them all Their gifts will weather the fall

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya W.
21:39 Mar 21, 2021

Hi Luke! Ooh, I love Dream-Land. One of Poe's best. Honestly, I think this would be great if it was longer and expanded on the characters more, but it's already pretty amazing. Nice work.

Reply

. .
23:04 Mar 21, 2021

Yeshhhh I love that poem so muchhhhhh and I love poetry infused stories... aw thanks Maya!!! You too kind :)

Reply

Maya W.
23:55 Mar 21, 2021

Of course. :)

Reply

. .
11:58 Mar 22, 2021

Please post more lol I need to read moreeeeeeeee

Reply

Maya W.
12:17 Mar 22, 2021

Haha, sorry. I've been super busy lately, but I can probably write something this week.

Reply

. .
12:18 Mar 22, 2021

GOOOOOOOOOOOODGREATGRANDPLEASEDO

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
21:07 Mar 21, 2021

Hey

Reply

. .
23:05 Mar 21, 2021

Heyyyyyyy

Reply

B. W.
23:22 Mar 21, 2021

How are you?

Reply

. .
23:40 Mar 21, 2021

Lol I’m great

Reply

B. W.
00:47 Mar 22, 2021

Not sure if I already asked or not, though what do ya think of the prompts?

Reply

. .
11:57 Mar 22, 2021

I LARB THEM.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
17:23 Mar 21, 2021

Heyy how ya been?

Reply

. .
23:07 Mar 21, 2021

I’ve been great!!! My Someone Like You story is in the works.... heeheehee.... NEVER MIND ILL FIND *stop it Luke you’re embarrassing yourself* MIRA GOT DOWNVOTED OFF OF THE LEADERBOARD.

Reply

Sia S
06:06 Mar 22, 2021

WTFHSEROUSLY?OHMIGODUGH

Reply

. .
11:56 Mar 22, 2021

I KNOWWWWWWWWWWWWW WE NEED TO HELP HER

Reply

Sia S
12:24 Mar 22, 2021

OHMIGODDHDHDH YESHHH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
12:04 Mar 22, 2021

Haha lol amazing! And wth?? I’m gonna help!

Reply

. .
12:04 Mar 22, 2021

XP I KNOW I'M GOING NOW. SHE. DOES. NOT. DESERVE. IT.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
13:20 Mar 22, 2021

Hah! And I’m so madddd Ok new puzzle Is it one thousand white women?

Reply

. .
13:25 Mar 22, 2021

The last two words are SO CLOSE

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
22:28 Mar 20, 2021

Hey Luke, so I saw your playlist idea thing on the doc, which is a great idea. Would you mind if I did something similar writing stories inspired by songs (giving you credit for the idea), only if you don't mind. Also, I have lots of suggestions for songs for yours if you want to hear them. Lol xD

Reply

. .
00:09 Mar 21, 2021

Ofc that would be totally fine!!! What are your song suggestions?? I need flower-y ones lollll

Reply

Maya -
20:03 Mar 21, 2021

Great, thanks! Hmm lol okay like spring theme. xD Lemme think I'll just put like good songs then maybe the message of the song could be applied to the prompts somehow? xD So like (grouped in order of the band): Natural - Imagine Dragons Shots - Imagine Dragons Tiptoe - Imagine Dragons Cutthroat - Imagine Dragons Follow You - Imagine Dragons The Scientist - Coldplay Viva La Vida - Coldplay Start Again - One Republic Counting Stars - One Republic Rescue Me - One Republic Wake Me Up - Avicii Hey Brother - Avicii The Nights - Avicii Unstoppable ...

Reply

. .
23:03 Mar 21, 2021

Thanks Maya!!! I’ll give you a sneak peek... sorry I didn’t choose any of those wonderful ones for yhis story prob the next one but it will be a super sad someone like you!

Reply

Maya -
23:47 Mar 21, 2021

It's fine! Ooh, what's the sneak peek? :)) A super sad someone like you??

Reply

. .
11:57 Mar 22, 2021

Its a story inspired by Someone Like You

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
23:48 Mar 19, 2021

HELLO BROTHER (Have you read Jasey's "The Gangs of Obrye" yet??)

Reply

. .
12:03 Mar 20, 2021

HA HI SISTERRRRRR YESH I LARBED IT SO MUCHHHHHHHH OMG WHY ARE YOU INACTIVE

Reply

Kate Reynolds
19:52 Mar 21, 2021

IKR IT WAS SO GOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD Too much things going on in life right now QwQ But I will pop on and off sometimes

Reply

. .
23:05 Mar 21, 2021

Awwwww well I glad to finally talk to you after so longggggg

Reply

Kate Reynolds
23:21 Mar 21, 2021

Sameeeee it's been wayyyyy too longggg

Reply

. .
23:40 Mar 21, 2021

Ikkkkkkkkkkk have you checked out the prompts or some of my new stories???

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
<inactive> .
18:24 Mar 19, 2021

Yuh just got downvoted for the first time! Feeling great :D

Reply

. .
18:34 Mar 19, 2021

THE FIRST TIME???? Jeez, I’ve lost like 6000 in total..

Reply

<inactive> .
18:43 Mar 19, 2021

Yes first time 👉👈 Oof, I’ll upvote you a bit

Reply

. .
19:07 Mar 19, 2021

Aw I don’t really need it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:17 Mar 19, 2021

This is so good- and is ur emoji puzzle The Tale Of Genji??

Reply

. .
17:39 Mar 19, 2021

Thank you and yes it is!!

Reply

18:32 Mar 19, 2021

np and I made a form to be in my story if u wanna be in it here's the link if not its fine :) thank youu https://forms.gle/JySK8iu9htvmYWif9

Reply

18:39 Mar 19, 2021

thanks so much <33

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
<inactive> .
15:27 Mar 19, 2021

Look im dumb is the emoji thing some sort of japanese princess- aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Reply

. .
15:32 Mar 19, 2021

ALL THE PUZZLES ARE BOOKS AND THIS ONES A JAPANESE CLASSIC

Reply

<inactive> .
15:38 Mar 19, 2021

o h w e l l g u e s s i w i l l n e v e r g e t i t i have no remaining brain cells im trying to write- settling for hanahaki because i know more about it than what is considered normal-

Reply

. .
15:39 Mar 19, 2021

Lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Reply

<inactive> .
15:49 Mar 19, 2021

yoooooooooo just made garlic bread yeye it smells so freaking good-

Reply

. .
16:13 Mar 19, 2021

THAT MAKE ME HUNGEREDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
02:33 Mar 19, 2021

A. For suree

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jasey Lovegood
23:21 Mar 18, 2021

HIIII LUKE My Reedsy Cast story is out, and your character is in it, so if u wanna read, please do! :)

Reply

. .
23:32 Mar 18, 2021

OMG ILL READ TOMORROW!!!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
23:33 Mar 18, 2021

THANKS SO MUCH!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
19:50 Mar 18, 2021

Hey

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
18:06 Mar 18, 2021

LUKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE The teacher orders you join

Reply

Show 0 replies
01:32 Mar 18, 2021

Hi! In answer to your poll: C It sounds cool :] NEW EMOJI PUZZLEEEEEEE let's see if I can guess it :)

Reply

. .
12:01 Mar 18, 2021

Ok!!! Lol I wonder...

Reply

22:30 Mar 18, 2021

:)))) Any hInTs?

Reply

. .
11:09 Mar 19, 2021

Eh its a japanese classic

Reply

15:53 Mar 19, 2021

hmmmmmm The Tale Of Genji? Snow Country?

Reply

. .
16:13 Mar 19, 2021

YOU GOT IT!!!!! THE FIRST ONE!!! YAY AMEEEEEEEE

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:31 Mar 18, 2021

Is the puzzle... The Tale of Genji?

Reply

. .
12:01 Mar 18, 2021

YErp

Reply

12:26 Mar 18, 2021

Yay!

Reply

. .
12:40 Mar 18, 2021

You're in 5th I think!!

Reply

12:42 Mar 18, 2021

:0

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:08 Mar 18, 2021

Also, for the poll: a. A new Epic Fantasy series a. A new Epic Fantasy series a. A new Epic Fantasy series a. A new Epic Fantasy series a. A new Epic Fantasy series a. A new Epic Fantasy series a. A new Epic Fantasy series a. A new Epic Fantasy series a. A new Epic Fantasy series a. A new Epic Fantasy series a. A new Epic Fantasy series a. A new Epic Fantasy series a. A new Epic Fantasy series a. A new Epic Fantasy series a. A new Epic Fantasy series a. A new Epic Fantasy series a. A new Epic Fantasy series a. A new Epic Fantasy series

Reply

. .
15:43 Mar 18, 2021

Lollllllllll well I'm thinking of doing a fable-type story sequence of magical realism which will be 5 parts and the song inspired stuff, which I'll call the Playlist.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
23:34 Mar 17, 2021

The talent, I swear. ["Yeh'll kill us all! No!"] That's rough buddy-

Reply

. .
12:02 Mar 18, 2021

Thankoooooooo Jase!!!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
19:47 Mar 18, 2021

No problem, Luke! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:43 Mar 17, 2021

I think I'd be best friends with Hermione (Harry Potter), Six (I Am Number Four), and Primrose (The Hunger Games). What about you?

Reply

. .
22:06 Mar 17, 2021

Definitely Enola Holmes, Cal Trask, Sophie Foster, and Klaus Baudelaire.

Reply

22:21 Mar 17, 2021

Where are the last three from? Sorryyyyyyyyyy. We don't read the same books, lolol.

Reply

. .
22:26 Mar 17, 2021

Lolol Cal Trask is from East of Eden, Soph is from KOTLC, and Klaus is from a series of unfortunate events

Reply

22:27 Mar 17, 2021

Oh, okay! XDDD What are you up to?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.