185 comments

Fantasy Fiction

Note: Please read part 1 of my Reedsycast (“Cornflowers or Roses”; link: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/86/submissions/60128/) to understand what’s going on in this part. 

For Abigail Cross. She is one of the people who were so supportive and excited about this Reedsycast. She’s also the first one to have submitted the Reedsycast form. This one’s for you, Rati!

https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/edbcba/


*~*~*


GALEN FROST


“Who is with me?” yelled Angelyn. 

Her words washed over me, more powerful than a tidal wave. I wanted to join and destroy the destiny system. It wasn’t even because of her magic. 

Here was my chance to avenge. Take revenge. I had been waiting for an opportunity for years.

Rage simmered in my stomach. The government. Those puppets. All they ever did was carry out orders from Queen Maia. It was like they didn’t have a mind of their own. 

I clenched my fists, remembering how they had slain my friends like it was nothing. They forced me to watch the light go out of their eyes and see the knives go through their heads. I remember their blood trickling on the ground. For years, I had wanted to end the queen.

So many people had experienced this. Someone close to them would get killed. They would get killed for disobeying the rules involving those idiotic destinies and flowers. A rebellion like this was long overdue. 

Dozens of people walked toward the stage, wanting to join Angelyn. The crowd seemed to snap out of their daze and surged forward with their weapons, ready to attack. On instinct, I rushed to defend the people that were going to join Angelyn, for I wanted to join them, too.

The others and I raised our weapons, ready to fight. But a clear voice —Angelyn’s— rang out.

“Lower your weapons.” 

Without hesitation, I dropped my sword. Several thousand other weapons clattered to the ground. ‘That’s some power,’ I thought.

As we climbed up the stage, I studied Angelyn, looking for signs of weakness. Indications that she didn’t know what she was doing. Or that she was hesitating and didn’t want to lead a rebellion. 

I didn’t find any; her eyes were as hard as steel. But they seemed to mask a dozen different emotions and identities: A scared little girl, afraid of what she had started; an angry and vengeful warrior, ready to hurt anyone in her way; a manipulative speaker, willing to command an entire nation; and a grieving daughter, still mourning the loss of her loved ones. 

Once we were next to Angelyn, several went instinctively to cover their ears while others shook her hand. They talked for a moment, and they seemed to form an agreement. 

I eventually stepped up to Angelyn. 

“Hello,” she said briskly. “I’m going to go straight to the point. Who are you? Why are you here?”

“My name is Galen Frost, a warrior. I have many powers of a werewolf. And as for why I’m here—” I shrugged listlessly, not knowing how to explain my reasons. “I’ve got some scores to settle.” 

Angelyn nodded. “I understand that. Are you willing to fight for the cause of destroying the destiny system?”

“Sure. But why are you even doing this?” I asked her. “Why are you here?”

Something about this girl still tugged at the back of my mind. 

“It’s quite a touchy topic,” Angelyn admitted, tugging at her hair. “Let’s just say that I’ve got some scores to settle.” 

Angelyn imitated me at that last part, failing miserably. She then yelled at the crowd, “Don’t move and don’t attack!” 

The crowd —who were slowly reaching for their weapons— stopped moving.

Angelyn’s expression turned serious. “The point is, I’m here now. I’ve made some bold statements, and I plan on following through with them. All I ask is that you remain loyal.”

I nodded slightly. Even if Angelyn was a wild card with her powers, I wanted to avenge my friends. Destroying the destiny system would be the way to do that. 

She turned to the group of people on the stage. “The government and Queen Maia have been poisoning our lives with the destiny system. Your duty —our duty— is to change that. I—”

“Do you even have a plan?” one girl spoke up. She had light caramel skin, dark brown hair with golden highlights, and a long scar that started from the edge of her mouth. She pulled a hunting knife out of her sleeve and started fiddling with it.

“We know we’re going to end the destiny system, but how are we going to do that?” the girl questioned. “It’s not like the destiny system is a person we can stab. What’s the plan?”

There was a moment of silence. I glanced at Angelyn, who had a scowl stitched across her face. I wondered if she even had a plan.

“The plan. Yes, I have a plan, Nainika,” Angelyn said quickly. I could almost see the wheels of her brain turning, trying to come up with something. 

“Wait,” a quiet voice said. It belonged to a short girl with pale blue hair. She had bangs that covered her eyes. “The crowd will hear your plan. So will the cameras.” 

The girl pointed up to the dozens of cameras and microphones. They were recording the ceremony for the people in their homes.

Angelyn frowned. “Good point, Ozia.” 

She pulled out a silver gun from the folds of her dress and aimed it at one of the microphones. Angelyn fiddled with a few triggers and shot a silver bullet, which smashed into the microphone and disintegrated it.

“Help me,” she said to us. I drew my massive longbow, and those of us with long-range weapons did the same.

Although the Artists weren’t that great fighters, they still did a decent job. All of the cameras and microphones were broken and destroyed in no time.

Angelyn nodded, satisfied. Then she grimaced. “If I tell the crowd to cover their ears, I can’t give them any more orders.” 

I glanced at the crowd, who was reaching for their weapons in slow motion. They attack; we’re dead.

Angelyn looked troubled, but she called out, “Stay still and do not attack! Cover your ears!”

The crowd stopped moving and covered their ears, but I could tell the magic was growing weaker. It was like an old sweater, getting smaller and smaller as you tugged on the loose strings. 

Angelyn’s knees buckled, but she managed to explain her plan. “There is a legend of the source of the destiny system. It is the source of the power that we possess through our destiny. It is also the source of the destiny system. I have never seen this source in person; I have only heard of it. This source is known as the Tree of Virtutum.” 

Murmurs broke out through us. No one had ever been to the Tree of Virtutum. It was outside the city borders, so no one in their right mind would go there. Even I hadn’t been brave enough to venture out of the city yet. It was too dangerous; dark spirits surrounded us. 

“If we go to the Tree of Virtutum,” Angelyn continued. “We can kill its roots. According to legend, that will destroy the destiny system for good.

“We are all connected to the Tree of Virtutum. Our powers depend on it. Legends say that this tree is a living force of nature. It spins the strings of fate and shapes our futures. The Tree of Virtutum has woven every one of your lives and all of your connections. So if we cut up the wrong roots…”

Angelyn didn’t finish her thought, but the words “We’ll die” hung in the air. I shuddered at the thought. No one knew what happens when someone died.

“But where is this Tree of Virtutm? How are we going to get there?” a guy asked. He was a thin but lithe redhead with messy hair. He held twin knives.

Angelyn shook her head. “I don’t remember that part of the legend, Ethan. But I believe we can still find that tree. We just need to find the first rose and cornflower in existence. They are now all-knowing spirits, known as Zhang Mi and Su Le. They are willing to help anyone who has a destiny by answering one question. I can use my question to ask for the Tree of Virtutum’s location.”

I remembered asking Zhang Mi and Su Le my question. Their answer had brought me nothing but fear and anger. Baggage that I didn’t need.

“But how do we get there?” an intimidating-looking tall guy asked. He had black hair with red tips. A short girl with brown hair next to him signed the same question.

“I was getting to that, Flint and Fawn. I wish Ivy were here. She could’ve made a portal.” Angelyn stared at one of the faces in the crowd longingly. “But she’s not here. We’ll have to travel by foot.”

Everyone nodded in agreement. We had a plan.

Ozia waved her hand, summoning a poisonous gas that knocked out the crowd, just to be safe. Sixty-nine pairs of shoes clunked against the pavement as we —Repellum, as we started to call ourselves— trudged toward the city limits. We passed homes filled with people staring at their black TV screens, confused.

A Warrior does not get scared. At least, we’re not supposed to be. But as we walked closer and closer to the gates, it struck me hard. I was leaving the city.

I had lived by myself in the edges of neighborhoods and woods for years, training myself to fight. But that didn’t make me prepared to enter the realm of dark spirits. The Teneti were the most dangerous monsters the world had to offer.

However, before we could do anything else, the guards at the gates charged.

I looked at Angelyn, waiting for her to command them to stop. But her eyes sagged with exhaustion, and she could barely hold her gun and knife. 

Nonetheless, she shouted, “Repellum! Attack!”

While most of my group charged to meet the guards, Ozia, some others, and I stood still and started shooting down the guards at the watchtowers.

“Don’t kill the guards,” Ozia muttered next to me as she clogged a guard’s nose with poisonous gas. 

“What?” I asked incredulously. “Why?”

“Just ‘cause,” Ozia replied. “Angelyn gives me that vibe. She doesn’t want to kill anyone if not necessary.”

“Wha—”

“Don’t do it.”

Ozia launched back into knocking out the guards without another word. I frowned but did as she asked. I aimed at their shoulders, and before I knew it, the guards at the watchtowers were all incapacitated.

New Fatum City could use a better guard system, I thought, surveying the battle around me.

Flint and Fawn fought together. Flint was slashing with his fire sword, almost burning himself in the process. He was covering for Fawn, who was drawing on a piece of paper. I thought she was nuts until her drawing, a deformed sword, materialized. She almost collapsed from the effort. She still joined the fight, picking up her sword and slashing it back and forth.

Nainika was alone and surrounded, but she was doing just fine. She blocked and attacked with a hunting knife and staff. She turned into a giant dragon with some difficulty, clawing at the guards.

Ethan sang song after song, and spirits obeyed his will. They attacked the guards and protected the Repellum. Ethan held twin knives, stabbing anyone who came too close, never breaking out of his song.

Angelyn shot and stabbed with her silver guns and knives, although she still looked worn out. Ozia was right: Angelyn didn’t kill a single guard.

The rest of the Repellum had split up around the gates. They were now knocking out wave after wave of the guards. I didn’t know how the guards could be such bad fighters. 

A spear hurtled toward my direction. I froze, for my sword was still in its sheath.

Before I could get killed, green gas engulfed the spear, dissolving it.

“Don’t make me save your life again,” Ozia said behind me. 

“Thanks,” I mumbled in response as I shot down more guards.


*~*~*


After a while, we managed to incapacitate all of the guards at the gates. It had been difficult, working with powers we barely knew how to use. We weren’t free of injuries.

As others tended their wounds, I stared at the guards’ bodies on the ground. I had never seen so much blood before.

Once we regrouped, Angelyn stared at the enormous red and blue gates in front of us. She inhaled sharply.

“All we have to do is open these gates, and we’re free from the city. The problem is” —she gestured at the locks on the gates— “how do we open those?”

Fawn clapped to get Angelyn’s attention and quickly pulled out a paper. She scribbled a few drawings, and we all got the message.

Anything I draw can come to life, remember?

Fawn then studied the locks and drew a key, which appeared in her hand a moment later. Beads of sweat popped up on her forehead.

Angelyn picked up the key and inserted it in the locks. The gate creaked open, and the black forest —Nigruvam— loomed over us.

Low growls of the Teneti echoed through the forest. Fear shook me to the core. I gripped my sword tightly as we walked into the Nigruvam and the gates slammed shut behind us.

There was no turning back now.

April 24, 2021 03:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

185 comments

03:14 Apr 24, 2021

Once again, I released this story an awful lot close to the deadline. It's also only loosely related to the prompt. Compliments, critique, and feedback are very much appreciated. This needs some work! Also, title suggestions are welcome. As long as they contain the words "or" or "and" so they can loosely resemble the title of part 1. Here's a summary of part 1 (this is for anyone who hasn't read part 1 and doesn't want to): In part 1, it was Diestumendo. The day of picking destiny. The people who don't have a destiny have to pick a flower ...

Reply

Sunny 🌼
11:49 Apr 24, 2021

🥀2️⃣

Reply

Show 0 replies

-enter rose and number emojies because im too lazy and too disoriented to get them- AKJDH BYUUUUQCINIUHDUIANHCCCCCCKI I CANT I LITERALLY LIKE- KAJHUINDUKBEYNHUIIDX THIS IS SO AWESOMEEEEEEEEE FLINT AND FAWN AUIHUIUUKHND YOU JUST KAHCNEOOOOID I CANT EVEN AOIHEIIINYXXXGUDBB -dies-

Reply

18:50 Apr 25, 2021

Lol, thank you!

Reply

LMK WHEN NEXT PART IS OUT CUZ AIJNDUAHCBCJK THIS IS AWESOME -legit dies on the doc-

Reply

18:51 Apr 25, 2021

Lol, I will!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:30 Apr 26, 2021

🥀2️⃣

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 4 replies
Cole Lane
22:07 Apr 24, 2021

Oh, we just stepped into a whole lotta trouble right here!! The next part is going to be really exciting!

Reply

22:51 Apr 24, 2021

Ahaha, I doubt it. But thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
11:48 Apr 24, 2021

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww YEAH! The first one was great, and this one was just plain epic. I love my character so much oml. She's just as I imagined her. Can't wait for the next part!

Reply

12:05 Apr 24, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Sunny 🌼
12:09 Apr 24, 2021

:D

Reply

12:20 Apr 24, 2021

How are you?

Reply

Sunny 🌼
12:30 Apr 24, 2021

Pretty good. Just woke up a few minutes ago and ate breakfest. Now I'm trying to write BH/BW Part Four (key word is trying, writer's block is a jerk)

Reply

13:31 Apr 24, 2021

Oof, Writer's Block sucks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
16:48 Apr 24, 2021

“Don’t make me save your life again,” I'M SO SASSY AND COLD I LOVE IT-

Reply

16:58 Apr 24, 2021

Lol, I'm glad you do.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:11 Apr 24, 2021

I’m a bit hazy on what the first one was about, but I picked it. Cool story!

Reply

13:32 Apr 24, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
04:01 Apr 24, 2021

ooh, so bold at the end! I'm liking this series more and more XDDD great job as always! can't wait for the next part!!! how have you been? (still praying for you, btw) L.W.

Reply

12:06 Apr 24, 2021

Thank you! Im doing pretty good. (And thanks.) You?

Reply

TJ Squared
16:14 Apr 24, 2021

np :) that's good :) (yw) doing alright, taking it a day at a time :)

Reply

12:28 Apr 26, 2021

(Late reply, lol) Are you writing anything outside of Reedsy?

Reply

TJ Squared
14:46 Apr 26, 2021

(it's fine) well...I have this google doc that's 120 or so pages long and some of it is on Reedsy, and some of it are just random story ideas and such (I might have given you access? i don't remember). hbu?

Reply

16:03 Apr 26, 2021

You gave me access. I have some ideas for novels (even though there's no way I would get it published), but I never got started.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zoey Hailey
23:27 Apr 29, 2021

Ahegddhgft why’d you have to end on such a cliffhanger?? now I want moreeeeeee🥺🥺 this is such a masterpiece. literally no words. I love the characters, and how you were able to weave the prompt into the story in your own way. And the descriptions-*chefs kiss*PERFECTION. I feel like you chose your sentences carefully, which is very important for an author. Great job!! If you don’t make a part 3 someday soon (it’s ok if it takes a while) I might actually die😩😂 jk lol😂Make sure to let me know when it’s out tho:) Ilyy

Reply

Zoey Hailey
23:52 Apr 29, 2021

Oh, also, would you mind if I created a character to be in this series? Thanks in advance!

Reply

00:36 Apr 30, 2021

I'm not sure if you can be one of the main characters because I'm already 2 parts into this series. Maybe . . . *wheels of my brain starts turning* Ok, I have an idea. Maybe tomorrow or the day after that, I'll put out a Google Form for side characters (you can be one of them).

Reply

Zoey Hailey
00:42 Apr 30, 2021

Oh alright, that would be perfect!! Thxx! Okay so if this works out what things would you need to know besides her name, personality, and physical appearance? *lightbulb* would it work if I were Queen Maia's teenaged, good daughter who wants to help rebel against her?

Reply

01:04 Apr 30, 2021

I'll write it all on the form, don't worry. Ooh, that's a great idea! But it goes against my plot, so I don't think it'll work.

Reply

Zoey Hailey
03:06 Apr 30, 2021

Alrightio:) yay! Okie that’s perfectly fine :) thx so much!😁

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:34 Apr 30, 2021

Thank you so much! I appreciate your feedback. Part 3 will be out eventually!

Reply

Zoey Hailey
00:38 Apr 30, 2021

No problem girly! Yay!! Tyyyyysmmmmm💕🥰 I’ll come up with a name and tings for the character tomorrow ❤️

Reply

Zoey Hailey
14:28 Apr 30, 2021

Ok so I will name the character Adrienne;) Physical appearance (if needed): long, thick, dark-brown hair with a purple streak on the left, freckles sprinkled across the nose, light skin, ocean blue eyes, average height, thin, small scar on left cheek Personality (if needed) : very kind for a warrior (she only chose the path of the rose to protect others), witty, clever, sensitive, and brave. Slight anger issues.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Jasey Lovegood
23:06 Apr 26, 2021

EEEEEEEE PART 2 IS OUT, LET'S GO!!!! Awesome work, Annabelle! I'm excited to see what happens to both the Warriors and Artists 🥀2️⃣

Reply

23:07 Apr 26, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
23:14 Apr 26, 2021

No problem! Hru?

Reply

00:24 Apr 27, 2021

I’m good! I have a lot of things on my plate right now, but I’m doing my best to manage it. What about you?

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
00:51 Apr 27, 2021

Same, girl. So much work, so many tests and assignments. I've also had a bit of Writer's Block for the Reedsycast which is a painnnnn

Reply

10:54 Apr 27, 2021

Same, honestly. I have two tests coming up, a creative writing project, studying, and some math thrown in. I’m having quite some Writer’s Block for all of my series, which is why I’m taking a break from them this week.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
12:23 Apr 26, 2021

Aww, I loved this! My character is exactly how I wanted her and you've created a really cool land! :) heheh amazing job! (hunting for critiques)

Reply

12:25 Apr 26, 2021

Lol, thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:40 Apr 25, 2021

I really like this series! 🤠 It's funny that we were able to make something so different with the same idea (The flower in the field choosing the destiny). Can't wait for the next part!

Reply

02:53 Apr 25, 2021

Lol, yeah. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Creed .
01:14 Apr 25, 2021

YAYY!!! You used my character! thank you!!

Reply

01:24 Apr 25, 2021

No problem! Your character form was quite interesting in terms of powers, personality, backstory, etc., so I had to use yours for the POV. Hope you liked it!

Reply

Creed .
00:38 Apr 26, 2021

I loved it!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Arwen Dove
21:59 Apr 24, 2021

Wonderful story! I enjoyed reading it!

Reply

22:51 Apr 24, 2021

Thank you! Anything you specifically liked?

Reply

Arwen Dove
23:12 Apr 24, 2021

Um... It's hard to choose a specific part. I like all of it! ;)

Reply

23:45 Apr 24, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

HOW COULD I FORGET TI COMMENT KAJDHXKJBANNCIUACHA CGREAT GREAT AWESOME STORY I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT NOW POST THAT NEXTPART B4 I EXPLODEEEEEE

Reply

12:34 May 14, 2021

Haha, thank you! I'll post the new part in a few weeks or so.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philia S
11:12 May 10, 2021

Hey Sky!!! 🥀2️⃣ The story was amazing!! And the way you described how they were all tired and exhausted from exertion was quite nice! Great job!!

Reply

11:44 May 10, 2021

Hey, Phila! Thank you so much!

Reply

Philia S
11:51 May 10, 2021

:D Hope you're doing well!!!

Reply

11:57 May 10, 2021

I am! How are you doing?

Reply

Philia S
12:16 May 10, 2021

ME toooo!!! Current status: Bored and fruitlessly trying to write, lol

Reply

12:24 May 10, 2021

Lol, that's relatable.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
17:14 May 04, 2021

Its out!

Reply

17:22 May 04, 2021

Ok!

Reply

Sia S
17:24 May 04, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:17 May 02, 2021

hello idk where the other thread went so :]

Reply

20:35 May 02, 2021

Hi! How are you doing?

Reply

20:36 May 02, 2021

mm, not too good e.e stressed about a lot of things~ so I made a new poem about it :) lol wbu?

Reply

20:39 May 02, 2021

Oh. Hope you feel better! I'm currently tired, miffed, overwhelmed, and stressed. So I'm doing normally, to be honest.

Reply

20:41 May 02, 2021

thanks <3 me too .-. yeah~

Reply

20:46 May 02, 2021

This is kind of random, but do you mind taking this quiz? I'm curious about how well you do. (Tell me when you're on the website so I can delete the link; I don't want strangers from Reedsy taking this.) [deleted]

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
06:16 May 02, 2021

https://forms.gle/owh4ixnhHqVhK6PTA

Reply

14:33 May 02, 2021

What quiz is this?

Reply

Sia S
14:39 May 02, 2021

Its a reedsy cast, if you wanna be in it :)

Reply

16:44 May 02, 2021

Ok, I'll fill it out!

Reply

Sia S
16:45 May 02, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Veronica M
03:02 May 01, 2021

🤠 I read your whole bio (: . Plus I did the quiz. I liked it (: (: .

Reply

14:20 May 01, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
15:14 Apr 30, 2021

heyyy is it okay if I give you a different power? Power over death is taken, but power over fire, storm, gravity, past, future, and sound are still available (yes I added more spots XD)

Reply

15:27 Apr 30, 2021

What about power over the future? I think that'll be interesting.

Reply

TJ Squared
15:30 Apr 30, 2021

alrighty then :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
02:43 Apr 30, 2021

Hii

Reply

10:49 Apr 30, 2021

Hello!

Reply

13:00 Apr 30, 2021

Heyy! Hru?

Reply

13:22 Apr 30, 2021

I'm good. I'm reading a contemporary book about a girl with cerebral palsy, and I've forgotten how much I enjoyed reading contemporary. You?

Reply

15:46 Apr 30, 2021

Ooooh that sounds good! What’s it called? I’m good, lol. In school. Hungry. Bored. Eh. XD So uhmmm...*summons new question I also just used in a different convo thread because when I come up with a half decent conversation topic I tend to reuse it*... If you could have 1,000,000 dollars worth of something (excluding cash) that you could not sell, what would it be?

Reply

15:58 Apr 30, 2021

It's called "Out of my Mind" by Sharon M. Draper. It's more of a kids story, but I like it. Hmm, that's hard. I would donate some money to charity (if that's not allowed, I'll buy needed supplies and give them to charity). I would also publish a book with the money, maybe. I would also get a better piano. What about you?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.