Call it what you want

Submitted into Contest #80 in response to: Write about a child witnessing a major historical event.... view prompt

307 comments

Coming of Age

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRUNTOqCmAM 

This story is inspired by modernism and its tenets.

It's a cold day. No sunlight seeps through the iron mask of clouds. No light finds its way through my window to alight my dreams. The frost seems to bite my lips as I stroll out of the house. Papa always says “never put on a coat when it’s cold, because that won’t make you strong”, so I brave the sleet sleeveless. My house is a masterpiece, creaking and groaning with the maturity of old age. The turrets that rise from the west side seem to spear the sky, poking up into the stratosphere. One day, I’ll be that tall. I’ll fly up above the clouds and far away, farther than any horrid arithmetic teachers can go. 

I never wear a coat when it’s cold, did I tell you that already? Goosebumps are my layers, nothing but the strength of my skin to keep me warm, but I quite like it that way. And my house, oh, my house is a beautiful haven. I keep to myself in those sweet little boxed rooms, the walls keeping me and my thick books in and the world out. Every night before I go to bed, I lucidly see the turrets standing over my bedroom like guards, like great big stone guards. My Papa would never take the time to stand watch over my room, so it's nice to feel safe every now and then. The wind blows against my face, scattering the long strands into oblivion. I wonder where they go… maybe to the ends of the Earth… maybe they go to look for a coat for me. Well, if I ever see them again, I’ll have to avoid them like the plague unless I wanna give up my goosebumps. Still, I do so hope that they’re all right. Why don’t they come back to me? I bet my hair would be twice as long, all the way down to my shoes, if they decided to come flying back to their home. Well, at least they’re free. At least they get to fly. 

Papa sits by the fire whenever I come back from school. Every night, after 4:00, I come back in and he’s waiting there. Sometimes I wonder if he’s waiting for someone else, though, because he never seems to notice my slamming the door closed. “Oh, you’re here. There’s nothing for dinner again.” Each day I would come back to the same saggy words, drooping as they reached my ears. There was always lunch at school, though. Mashed potaters and some grayn bayns, that was how the lunch lady said it. I wonder how many people like me she’s seen, dreaming for the stars and the sky while being down here on the cracking ground… I bet she has. What’s her name again? It beats me, I see her every day at noon, look at her name tag, and I still can’t keep it in my noggin. It’s like sand, slipping through the cracks like money through my father’s hands.

***

It’s a real cold day. I can’t even begin to tell you how cold it is. My worn-down shoes keep flopping on the sidewalk like rotten flounders. Why don’t they just make it hot all the time? Heat’s annoying, but at least it doesn’t make you feel like your body’s falling to pieces. There’s an expanse of frozen ground that stretches out for a mile from the left side of my house. The only inha– inhati– inhabitants are little stretches of frost that pile up next to rough stones. 

Far to the right, there’s a towering oak tree that stands seven times above me. I only work up the courage to walk over there and stand in its shadow on the weekends, when I have time to waste. I skip over the rocks in my floppy flounders, avoiding the ice. I don’t know if any of you know, but it’s one of the worst feelings in the world (I assume) to touch your bare arms to ice. I’ve never felt anything worse.

One day, hopping over the rocks and ice like normal, I saw a group of men at the tree. They weren’t a seventh of the size of the tree, no, they were like a fourth! It looked like they were partying, I think… They were getting out some ropes, bringing out another man from a trunk. Maybe they were a magic act, trying to practice a trick. I always love the one where they wrangle out of the tank of water– that’s such an amazing stunt that I can never help but gasp. When they force the man to put on the rope, I’m still thinking of a magic trick. Then they tie him to the tree and it hits me and I run. Hard. I run as far away as I can. 

I stop, let my lungs fill and refill like a balloon pumper. I plug my ears to get the screams out of my ears, to block them off from the horror. The ropes ripping into the skin of my neck as I hung from the great, tall, tree, the men around me laughing all the while as I was tortured… my hair fraying as the rope ripped into my Adam’s apple, no one could save me now… More than ever, I want to be a strand of hair. I want to fly away and never come back. Fly to where there was always enough warmth and always enough love and always enough grayn bayns. The pain, the searing pain… Where could I go? My legs wouldn’t take me any further than where I stood, and I didn’t have wings the last time I checked. 

The man screams with a vengeance, gurgling spittle erupting from his mouth… fly away, as far as I can. I don’t want to come back, don’t want to, don’t want to. It’s funny, you never know you’re descending into darkness until you’ve arrived...

February 11, 2021 14:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

307 comments

Zilla Babbitt
22:49 Feb 16, 2021

I'm guessing the new emoji string in your name is Lord of the Flies?

Reply

. .
22:58 Feb 16, 2021

Yerp!!! You got it!!!

Reply

Zilla Babbitt
23:00 Feb 16, 2021

Finally 😅

Reply

. .
23:10 Feb 16, 2021

I know I can't believe you've never gotten one before!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
15:21 Feb 14, 2021

Chunky paras are my sweet spot so basically I adored this story. You are the best writer here no doubt. I think I am going to print this story so I think you must have sesed my emotions regarding this story,

Reply

. .
16:10 Feb 14, 2021

Thank youuuuuuuu!!!! Oh I am????????? That is so sweeeeeeeet!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sandra Cosby
11:15 Feb 26, 2021

I like to see more of the store

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Radhika Diksha
03:28 Feb 14, 2021

Luke the pretending duke, happy Valentine's day. Let love blow your wind like a tesla car and let love make you crave for more love. Love is sweet and bitter but that makes it special. Let love be above everything, let love be the heat in this winter. Again Happy Valentine's day.

Reply

. .
13:56 Feb 14, 2021

Awwww this was awesome!!!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
13:59 Feb 14, 2021

ACTUALLY, I AM WORKING ON POETRY FORM OF STORY FOR THIS WEEK. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD SUBMIT SOMETHING LIKE THAT. IF YOU HAVE SOMEONE PLEASE RECOMMEND ME I WILL SEND THEM THESE LOVE NOTES.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
14:03 Feb 14, 2021

ACTUALLY, I AM WORKING ON POETRY FORM OF STORY FOR THIS WEEK. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD SUBMIT SOMETHING LIKE THAT. IF YOU HAVE SOMEONE PLEASE RECOMMEND ME I WILL SEND THEM THESE LOVE NOTES.

Reply

. .
16:09 Feb 14, 2021

Oh that would be great!!! I don't have a valentine other than a construct of myself created in a dream.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
16:38 Feb 14, 2021

same here, and my construct changes daily.

Reply

. .
17:49 Feb 14, 2021

Ah cool!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Sandra Cosby
11:16 Feb 26, 2021

That a good one I wish I was as good as you.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
11:31 Feb 26, 2021

Sorry, but are you talking to me or responding to luke, nothing its just that I got notifications for your message. Sometimes this site errors and sends the message to the other people on the threads.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies

Ello-just wanted to request if you could upvote Celeste/Hua Mulan-she got downvoted a lot.

Reply

. .
22:59 Feb 14, 2021

Ofc!!! I’ll do it tomorrow!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
04:34 Feb 16, 2021

Shout out writer ✨Cookie Carla https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/cookie-carla/ ✨Cherri Joanna https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/cherri-joanna/ Shout out story 🧨By Frances https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/80/submissions/54265/ These are this weeks writers and story, in you free time please check them out.

Reply

. .
19:55 Feb 16, 2021

I find this so funny because I have known all of these writers for so long and Bill I met when he had like 100 karma XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:42 Feb 14, 2021

... Oh, hello fellow human. I just fainted form the craziness of this story, and how awesome Litlover is.

Reply

18:43 Feb 14, 2021

Also what's the link to?

Reply

. .
19:14 Feb 14, 2021

The link is to an amazing song that I love

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
19:14 Feb 14, 2021

XDXDXD

Reply

20:51 Feb 15, 2021

OK *The story's out!!*

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Sapphire 🌼
19:46 Feb 11, 2021

Tomato Ex-Boyfriend

Reply

19:48 Feb 11, 2021

muahhahahha

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
20:00 Feb 11, 2021

- Just Saph and Luna being Saph and Luna

Reply

20:01 Feb 11, 2021

I. CANT. BREATHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
20:08 Feb 11, 2021

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DON'T WORRY I CANT EITHER when is Luke gonna see this lol

Reply

20:09 Feb 11, 2021

I want him to see it nowwwwwwwwww

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:36 Feb 28, 2021

Loved this! And those last few paragraphs were very random and surprising. It was a super dark tale and I didnb't realize why he didn't like to wear sweaters was because he didn't have one..until I got to the middle of the story. I love how you left that for the readers to figure out. It was super unique and creative and dark. Great job and keep writing!

Reply

. .
13:46 Feb 28, 2021

I don't know why everyone thinks its a he... it was a her that put herself in his shoes, but I guess it could be interpreted either way... Thanks you so much!!!

Reply

18:11 Feb 28, 2021

Oh, lol, it just gave male vibes. Of course!

Reply

. .
18:18 Feb 28, 2021

Lol this was also a confusing storyyyyyyyy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sandra Cosby
11:13 Feb 26, 2021

I like the story very much. I thank was real good I like because he thought it was a margin tri.

Reply

. .
13:15 Feb 26, 2021

Thank you!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jexica Marcell
17:10 Feb 25, 2021

HI!!!! So I was wondering if you have time, could you read my new story called "Thoughts and Questions?" I'd really like some feedback on it. BTW, this story was amazing, like all of your stories. -Cass

Reply

. .
17:10 Feb 25, 2021

Ofc!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Izzie Q.
03:41 Feb 25, 2021

Hey Luke!! AHHH you are AMAZING! I was reading over your stories and DANG you are talented! I know its a bit early but Happy Birthday!! You are amazing and this community is lucky to have you be a part of it! thanks for supporting me! Cupcake time?

Reply

Izzie Q.
03:42 Feb 25, 2021

also I LOVE the movie Enola holmes? And seeing as you've reading Agatha Christe, I assume you've seen some of the movie? muder on the oriental express was my fav :D

Reply

Izzie Q.
03:44 Feb 25, 2021

wow, your whole emoji thing is REALLY impressive!! I'll tune into the next one and try to guess hahah <3 hows your day been?

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
12:44 Feb 25, 2021

ENOLA!!!!! Yeshhhhhh Murder on the Orient Express with Kenneth Branaugh was an amazing movieeeeeeee!!!!! Thank you so much for the above comment!!!! For the bottom comment, awwww yeah I'm surprised its so popular!!! Great!!! My day's great!!

Reply

Izzie Q.
14:25 Feb 25, 2021

I'm so gladddddd <3 YES I aspire to be like enola lmao haha

Reply

. .
14:30 Feb 25, 2021

YESH she would be my best friend in a book/movie

Reply

Izzie Q.
15:31 Feb 25, 2021

omg yess! so, what are your plans for today? covid bdays are harddd!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 0 replies
__Achor __
23:40 Feb 22, 2021

I Love Foster the People and this short story.

Reply

. .
00:42 Feb 23, 2021

Aw thanks!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
06:55 Feb 22, 2021

Heya

Reply

. .
12:07 Feb 22, 2021

Heyyyyyyyy

Reply

B. W.
16:53 Feb 22, 2021

How are you doing?

Reply

. .
16:56 Feb 22, 2021

Great!!!

Reply

B. W.
16:59 Feb 22, 2021

So do ya like the prompts?

Reply

. .
17:08 Feb 22, 2021

I HATE THEM.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
23:37 Feb 19, 2021

Hey Lukeeeeeeee

Reply

. .
00:02 Feb 20, 2021

Heyyyyyy

Reply

Maya -
00:03 Feb 20, 2021

Ame wanted you to respond. And Nainika 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Reply

. .
00:24 Feb 20, 2021

To what??

Reply

Maya -
00:25 Feb 20, 2021

To her comment. Nainika's leaving, did you see?

Reply

. .
00:25 Feb 20, 2021

OH NO SHE IS NOT

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
19:38 Feb 19, 2021

LORD HUNKYHAIR SUPREMACY -Saph and Luna being Saph and Luna

Reply

. .
19:39 Feb 19, 2021

XDXDXDXDXDXDXXDDXXDDXXDDXXDDXXDDXXDDXXDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mango Chutney
03:23 Feb 17, 2021

Ahh Love the ending.. Good one Litlover!! :)

Reply

. .
12:49 Feb 17, 2021

Thanks!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
21:44 Feb 16, 2021

Hi, Luke! Sorry I didn’t comment on this sooner. Anyway, I thought this was a really beautiful piece of writing, very fluid and elegant with a distinctly poetic feel to it. It’s amazing and illustrates a descriptive picture while capturing no more than a couple scenes in this boy’s life, great job!! -lily

Reply

. .
21:52 Feb 16, 2021

Thanks you so much!!! Its weird that everyone calls the character a boy, because I meant it to be more of a girl watching the boy and feeling his pain... but that works too!!!

Reply

Lilliane Wei
22:30 Feb 16, 2021

😯 I didn't realize that...hmmm... *scims story again* Hmm...I see, I see... Oh, and I thought I should let you know, "A Shadow's Struggle" is your story. I mean, it stars you, your character. :D

Reply

. .
22:31 Feb 16, 2021

Yeah its a little weird. OOOOH IT IS????

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
18:02 Feb 16, 2021

Hi

Reply

. .
18:07 Feb 16, 2021

hiiiiii

Reply

Mira Caplan
18:07 Feb 16, 2021

can i be super self-centered and ask you to write me a complimentary paragraph? I just kinda need it rn... and would really like it

Reply

. .
18:09 Feb 16, 2021

again? that kinda goes against what I'm trying to tell you...

Reply

Mira Caplan
18:10 Feb 16, 2021

-_-

Reply

. .
18:12 Feb 16, 2021

I just saying that you need to be independent of everyone else's opinion of you...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dorsa S.
13:47 Feb 16, 2021

kinda late here, but happy valentine's day, luke! :))

Reply

. .
13:48 Feb 16, 2021

Aw you too!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.