Call it what you want

Submitted into Contest #80 in response to: Write about a child witnessing a major historical event.... view prompt

307 comments

Coming of Age

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRUNTOqCmAM 

This story is inspired by modernism and its tenets.

It's a cold day. No sunlight seeps through the iron mask of clouds. No light finds its way through my window to alight my dreams. The frost seems to bite my lips as I stroll out of the house. Papa always says “never put on a coat when it’s cold, because that won’t make you strong”, so I brave the sleet sleeveless. My house is a masterpiece, creaking and groaning with the maturity of old age. The turrets that rise from the west side seem to spear the sky, poking up into the stratosphere. One day, I’ll be that tall. I’ll fly up above the clouds and far away, farther than any horrid arithmetic teachers can go. 

I never wear a coat when it’s cold, did I tell you that already? Goosebumps are my layers, nothing but the strength of my skin to keep me warm, but I quite like it that way. And my house, oh, my house is a beautiful haven. I keep to myself in those sweet little boxed rooms, the walls keeping me and my thick books in and the world out. Every night before I go to bed, I lucidly see the turrets standing over my bedroom like guards, like great big stone guards. My Papa would never take the time to stand watch over my room, so it's nice to feel safe every now and then. The wind blows against my face, scattering the long strands into oblivion. I wonder where they go… maybe to the ends of the Earth… maybe they go to look for a coat for me. Well, if I ever see them again, I’ll have to avoid them like the plague unless I wanna give up my goosebumps. Still, I do so hope that they’re all right. Why don’t they come back to me? I bet my hair would be twice as long, all the way down to my shoes, if they decided to come flying back to their home. Well, at least they’re free. At least they get to fly. 

Papa sits by the fire whenever I come back from school. Every night, after 4:00, I come back in and he’s waiting there. Sometimes I wonder if he’s waiting for someone else, though, because he never seems to notice my slamming the door closed. “Oh, you’re here. There’s nothing for dinner again.” Each day I would come back to the same saggy words, drooping as they reached my ears. There was always lunch at school, though. Mashed potaters and some grayn bayns, that was how the lunch lady said it. I wonder how many people like me she’s seen, dreaming for the stars and the sky while being down here on the cracking ground… I bet she has. What’s her name again? It beats me, I see her every day at noon, look at her name tag, and I still can’t keep it in my noggin. It’s like sand, slipping through the cracks like money through my father’s hands.

***

It’s a real cold day. I can’t even begin to tell you how cold it is. My worn-down shoes keep flopping on the sidewalk like rotten flounders. Why don’t they just make it hot all the time? Heat’s annoying, but at least it doesn’t make you feel like your body’s falling to pieces. There’s an expanse of frozen ground that stretches out for a mile from the left side of my house. The only inha– inhati– inhabitants are little stretches of frost that pile up next to rough stones. 

Far to the right, there’s a towering oak tree that stands seven times above me. I only work up the courage to walk over there and stand in its shadow on the weekends, when I have time to waste. I skip over the rocks in my floppy flounders, avoiding the ice. I don’t know if any of you know, but it’s one of the worst feelings in the world (I assume) to touch your bare arms to ice. I’ve never felt anything worse.

One day, hopping over the rocks and ice like normal, I saw a group of men at the tree. They weren’t a seventh of the size of the tree, no, they were like a fourth! It looked like they were partying, I think… They were getting out some ropes, bringing out another man from a trunk. Maybe they were a magic act, trying to practice a trick. I always love the one where they wrangle out of the tank of water– that’s such an amazing stunt that I can never help but gasp. When they force the man to put on the rope, I’m still thinking of a magic trick. Then they tie him to the tree and it hits me and I run. Hard. I run as far away as I can. 

I stop, let my lungs fill and refill like a balloon pumper. I plug my ears to get the screams out of my ears, to block them off from the horror. The ropes ripping into the skin of my neck as I hung from the great, tall, tree, the men around me laughing all the while as I was tortured… my hair fraying as the rope ripped into my Adam’s apple, no one could save me now… More than ever, I want to be a strand of hair. I want to fly away and never come back. Fly to where there was always enough warmth and always enough love and always enough grayn bayns. The pain, the searing pain… Where could I go? My legs wouldn’t take me any further than where I stood, and I didn’t have wings the last time I checked. 

The man screams with a vengeance, gurgling spittle erupting from his mouth… fly away, as far as I can. I don’t want to come back, don’t want to, don’t want to. It’s funny, you never know you’re descending into darkness until you’ve arrived...

February 11, 2021 14:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

307 comments

13:15 Feb 16, 2021

Hey Luke! Just wanted to say hi :)

Reply

. .
13:20 Feb 16, 2021

Hiiiiiiiiiiii

Reply

13:22 Feb 16, 2021

Hii

Reply

Show 0 replies
13:23 Feb 16, 2021

Do you think my pen name is confusing...I literally change my name every week but I'm thinking of sticking with this one

Reply

. .
13:25 Feb 16, 2021

I love this one!!! I really hope I get to see the northern lights sometime in my life.

Reply

13:52 Feb 16, 2021

Yeah, same! So I was wondering, maybe when you have time can you check out my new story...I would love some feedback on it :) thanks 😊

Reply

. .
13:52 Feb 16, 2021

Ofc!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

Emoji puzzle: The Kraken?

Reply

. .
00:12 Feb 15, 2021

Nerppppppp

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
17:13 Feb 14, 2021

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nainika Gupta
14:05 Feb 14, 2021

PART 2 iS OUT!! YOUR CHARACTER IS SOOOOO GOOD XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Coco Longstaff
00:19 Feb 14, 2021

Hewo Luke!!!! Do you wanna do my quiz? https://forms.gle/CcRYVsWpuhBW2uu76

Reply

. .
00:54 Feb 14, 2021

JUST DID IT

Reply

Coco Longstaff
01:03 Feb 14, 2021

TYSM

Reply

. .
01:56 Feb 14, 2021

NP C

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:44 Feb 13, 2021

aHA i love THISSSSSS the metaphors and the descriptions were perFECTO! also, i want to challenge you to a book ultimatum (I know I'm going to lose anyway but its fun XD) also, I posted a new story! would like your feedback on it :) ~ Amethyst

Reply

. .
19:17 Feb 14, 2021

Imma pretend I didn't hear that...

Reply

20:15 Feb 14, 2021

which part? sorry for that :(

Reply

. .
20:34 Feb 14, 2021

The book ultimatummmmm which I certainly didn’t hear

Reply

20:41 Feb 14, 2021

oh ok i kinda wanted to do it, but if you don't want to, that's fine too

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
03:28 Feb 13, 2021

Wow. Just... wow. Omg I loved how innocent it was at first, but then when the child realized what was happening... And as usual, the details were amazing!!! Btw I just posted a new storyyyy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sapphire 🌼
00:51 Feb 13, 2021

Hiya Luke! Do you mind checking out Ethan's work? His Anima App series is really good! I think he would appreciate some feedback :) https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/babd53/ Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lilliane Wei
20:47 Feb 12, 2021

Hey, Luke. You're slightly in my latest story "Traitor?" You'll have a more active role in the next one though!

Reply

. .
20:54 Feb 12, 2021

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
18:46 Feb 12, 2021

you'll prolly think im crazy but i have two new stories out... :) ALSO that edward cullen dude...said NAINIKA to downvote what a butt

Reply

. .
18:52 Feb 12, 2021

Urghhhhhhhhhh I can't read ALL OF THEMMMMMMMM I knowwwwwwww

Reply

Nainika Gupta
18:55 Feb 12, 2021

<3 you da best Luke AND SERIOUSLY idk who he thinks he is but...i am mAD

Reply

. .
18:56 Feb 12, 2021

Please don't be mad at my recent comment on your storiesssssssss awwwww yeah I know

Reply

Nainika Gupta
19:01 Feb 12, 2021

no I understand! Thanks!

Reply

. .
19:03 Feb 12, 2021

:)))))))))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nancy Drayce
11:55 Feb 12, 2021

Wow! This was a very good read! I truly enjoyed your writing and descriptions. I like the voice of the character, the idea and the feeling you are giving with the flow of the story. I also really like her naiveness, thinking that the men where doing the magic trick. Amazing!! 💙🌟

Reply

. .
13:20 Feb 12, 2021

Thank you so much!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
19:59 Feb 11, 2021

AND ALSO YOU ONLY DEFEATED ME CASUE I FORFEITED CAUSE YOU HAD THE UPPER HAND CAUSE- XD MY NAME LOOKS SO LONLEY ON YOUR BIO

Reply

. .
20:48 Feb 11, 2021

ARE YOU SAYING I DIDNT WIN?????

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
21:20 Feb 11, 2021

YOU WON BUT LIKE- YOU WON CAUSE- no im saying my name looks lonley up there XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
19:52 Feb 11, 2021

Wow. Like, just wow. I'm trying to envision myself in the shoes of the little boy, how it must feel to witness such a horror, and how much it would hurt. Also, I think you did this on purpose, but for some reason whatsoever, making the paragraphs seem squished together instead of broken apart and easier to read added into the vibe of the story, I have no idea why I feel that way but I do XD Although I think it would've been a better experience if you had spilt them up a teeny bit, especially the second paragraph, but that's just me be...

Reply

. .
20:48 Feb 11, 2021

Oh yeah I forgot to break it up XD thanks so much Saph!!!!

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
21:20 Feb 11, 2021

XD NP!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jexica Marcell
18:18 Feb 11, 2021

Luke, Im the Queen on Annyoingness. You should add me as that cause i constantly ask you to read my stories that suck XD Or maybe the Queen of Suckyness. Thats more like it! I'd probably be best friends with Peeta Mellark from the Hunger Games or Cassia Reyes from the Matched series.(Coincidence? i think not) Or maybe Riley from The Dark Storm.... IDK i cant make up my hecking mind!!!! The Queen of Sucky Stories....i like that one XD -Cass

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dorsa S.
16:53 Feb 11, 2021

uhm, why aren't you already a famous award-winning author? like gosh who runs the awards, you should've already been on top by now. I LOVE THIS - some favorite lines : "More than ever, I want to be a strand of hair. I want to fly away and never come back. Fly to where there was always enough warmth and always enough love and always enough grayn bayns. The pain, the searing pain… Where could I go? My legs wouldn’t take me any further than where I stood, and I didn’t have wings the last time I checked." "It’s funny, you never know you’re ...

Reply

. .
16:55 Feb 11, 2021

XDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXD I SMILING SO MUCH RN THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Reply

Dorsa S.
16:56 Feb 11, 2021

YES YOU DESERVE IT LUKEE

Reply

. .
16:56 Feb 11, 2021

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW THANKS YOU

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
16:23 Feb 11, 2021

Wow when both you and I post in legit the same dayyy XD amazing 'short' story!! i loved the backstory that was never actually said but so amazingly implied...really worked out! I LOVED THIS STORYYY -N

Reply

. .
16:25 Feb 11, 2021

XDXDXDXDXDXDXDXD THANK YOU!!!!!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:30 Feb 11, 2021

yeahhh!! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nainika Gupta
16:40 Feb 11, 2021

(new story btw)

Reply

. .
16:42 Feb 11, 2021

YAY

Reply

Nainika Gupta
21:30 Feb 11, 2021

(and another one loll)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
16:22 Feb 11, 2021

New story. How much you are going to write.

Reply

. .
16:24 Feb 11, 2021

Well this is a new one, but I dunno.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
16:10 Feb 11, 2021

....... I don't understand how you aren't a world famous author by now. Like, seriously. I don't understand.

Reply

. .
16:11 Feb 11, 2021

XXXXXXDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:13 Feb 11, 2021

I DON'T GET ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
16:13 Feb 11, 2021

I DON'T GET ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Reply

. .
16:13 Feb 11, 2021

SChooooool that's whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:15 Feb 11, 2021

YOU COULD STILL BE WORLD FAMOUS. LIKE WHAT THE FRICK LUKE just like....mention me once when you're all famous??? XD And YOU NEED TO WRITE MALEFICE LIKE I CAN'T I DOBN'T HAVE THE SHEER TALENT TO

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
16:15 Feb 11, 2021

YOU COULD STILL BE WORLD FAMOUS. LIKE WHAT THE FRICK LUKE just like....mention me once when you're all famous??? XD And YOU NEED TO WRITE MALEFICE LIKE I CAN'T I DOBN'T HAVE THE SHEER TALENT TO

Reply

. .
16:24 Feb 11, 2021

XDXDXD OFC I WILL!!! ANd no Malefice is yours now!!!

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
15:29 Feb 11, 2021

This story was so wonderfully crafted, but oh that poor kid, experiencing something like that at such a young age :( The part about him not having a coat was kind of surprising to me, especially how his dad said wearing a coat made you less strong. When you have dialogue, separate the paragraph so it looks more even, or separate them whenever you switch to a different person speaking (though you don't have much dialogue in this story anyway) Great story Luke! I loved it!

Reply

. .
15:32 Feb 11, 2021

Thank you so much!!!!!!!

Reply

15:55 Feb 11, 2021

No problem :) I always love reading your stories

Reply

. .
15:56 Feb 11, 2021

Awww thank you!!!!

Reply

15:57 Feb 11, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:50 Feb 25, 2021

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FOR REAL TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🎈🎈🎉🎉🎉🎀🎀🎁🎁🎁🎊🎊🎊🎊🎈🎈😂😂🎁🎁🎁🎁🎉🎉🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎀🎀

Reply

. .
14:04 Feb 25, 2021

THANKOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.