226 comments

Drama Contemporary Fiction



When I pushed open the peeling door and stepped onto the dirty tiles of our family store, I was immediately encompassed by the smell of mildew and rotting wood. My high heels clicked on the floor as I walked past the empty clothes racks to the small counter in the back. I was glad I left my purse in the car. I wouldn’t have wanted it to touch any surface in this building. 


This wouldn’t sell. It had become so neglected that nobody in their right mind would want to buy it. I turned around slowly, surveying the cracked, moldy paint on the walls and mud on the floor. I heard little mouse footsteps underneath the uneven floorboards, pattering softly. I drove home later, rain splattering on the window in fat, heavy drops, feeling hopeless. 


__________


When I approached Mom and Dad about my decaying plan to sell the thrift shop, they weren’t surprised. 


“I doubt anyone will even want it, though, so I’m not completely sure that this will even work,” I said. I bit my lip, a leftover habit from my tween years, and looked questioningly at my parents. They exchanged uncomfortable glances. They had a way of communicating without speaking, which had frustrated me ever since I was a little girl. My dad stuffed his hands sheepishly in his faded jean pockets and looked to the side. 


“Well, uh, Rianne...” My mom shifted positions on our old, worn-out leather couch so that she was hugging her knees to her chest. “Felix has always been the one that wanted to start a business. We were thinking of giving him ownership of the building ever since you moved out.”


“What?”


My mom shifted slightly again. I noticed, for the first time, the few streaks of grey laced throughout my mom’s coarse hair. My dad looked fixedly at the cream-colored carpet, twirling his thick mustache with his fingers.


“We thought you knew.” Her voice was pained, tight. “We thought you knew that we gave ownership of the building to Felix as soon as he turned eighteen.”


“I thought you guys still had it.” 


“We just assumed...you always acted like receiving it would be a burden.”


Even I didn’t understand why I was mad. I hadn’t wanted the building. But Felix, my little brother, was irresponsible, messy, forgetful. I didn’t understand why they had thought it was better to give it to him than to me. 


I didn’t understand how I hadn’t known about it. 


“The store is still shut down! He hasn’t even done anything with it!” My voice echoed around the room, sounding involuntarily shrill. “I could make money off of it!”


My dad spoke up for the first time since we sat down to talk. “Rianne, he’s working really hard. It’s only been six months, and he’s a freshman in college!” 


I could only purse my lips and leave. 


__________




It was three am. The rain drummed against my bedroom window, drowned out by the sound of my heater turned on full blast. I clutched my comforter tighter around me. I had stayed up late working again, another harmful tendency of mine. I could still taste some icy, metallic traces of the blood in my mouth from biting my lip so hard at my parents' house.


A few minutes later, I was sitting up in bed, goosebumps up and down my bare arms. The phone was smooth, cold in my hands. He answered quickly. 


“Rianne? What’s going on? Is there an emergency?” 


 “No, Felix, I just...have something to ask you.” 


“Rianne, it’s three o’clock.”


“I know, I know. I’m sorry, it’s important.” 


Felix sighed dramatically. “You know I have classes tomorrow? And don’t you have work?” 


I ignored him. “What are you going to do with that building?”


“Building?” 


“Grandpa’s thrift shop. The one that was closed down.”


“Oh, uh, well, I was thinking of opening my own bakery.”


“A bakery?” I snort. “You suck at baking! Remember my birthday?” The last time Felix had baked was for my seventeenth birthday, when he had tried to make a pineapple upside-down cake. My mom was forced to run out to the grocery store to buy one of the premade ones they always have. 


“Can’t you leave me alone about that cake?” Felix snapped and blew heavily through his mouth. “My friend, Chirag, he’s doing the baking. I’m on the business side.”


“Oh.” 


A few moments of silence passed between us. I could feel the ends of my short hair tickling my neck. I said what I had wanted to say this entire time. The real thing that had been bothering me. 


“Why didn’t you tell me you wanted to do this? Why didn’t you tell me you got the building?” 


“I-” Felix sighed. “I don’t know. It didn’t really cross my mind. I guess I was used to you knowing everything about my life as soon as it happened.”


It had been six years since I moved out. 


“I want to help you.” This was his dream. When we were little, we would play a game where he would pretend to be a shopowner and I would be the customer. He had wanted this his whole life. Who was I to stop him? 


“Really?” Felix yawned loudly.


“Yeah. I’m a lawyer, after all. You might need my help. Call me if you need me to do anything, okay?” 


Felix yawned again. “Aren’t you really busy?”


“Don’t worry about it.”


__________




Felix couldn’t hire anyone to do the cleaning. Nobody wanted to. That’s why I was there, kneeling on the floor of the building, dressed in one of my Dad’s t-shirts and my least favorite pair of jeans. The buttons scratched my waist uncomfortably. It was quiet, save for the occasional thud coming from the walls. I scrubbed ferociously at the place where the wall and the hardwood floors met with a sickly-yellow sponge.


 Felix was next to me. We talked as we cleaned. It distracted me from the feeling of the wet floor soaking through my jeans and gloves. It was nice, talking to him. 


We decided we would come back the next weekend. We hired carpenters to fix the walls. We bought tables and chairs. We registered for a permit. We painted the walls, installed new floors. We bought display cases and bakery equipment. We put up a new wall. I paid for everything. I had the money, and I knew Felix would pay me back. I saw the way he organized, made plans, got to things on time. He was responsible enough. 



__________


Finally, we were choosing the name for the bakery. 


“So for the name, Chirag’s might be good,” I offered. “He’s the main baker after all.” Felix, Chirag, and I were sitting in Felix’s dorm room. I was sitting on the bed, Chirag on top of the small desk, and Felix in a swivel chair. Chirag’s become almost like a second little brother, we’ve worked together so often. 


“Chirag and I already decided on the name, actually,” Felix said. Chirag swung his legs and jumped off of the desk, landing on the floor with a thud. 


“Oh.” I scrunched my face and tried not to appear hurt. “What is it, then?” 


Felix smiled mischievously, the smile he would always use after stealing my gummy bears or winning a pillow fight. “Rianne’s.” 






November 22, 2020 18:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

226 comments

B. W.
00:32 Dec 05, 2020

I just thought of a new novel a bit ago ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Laiba M
23:30 Dec 04, 2020

First of all, love the new poem in your bio. Second of all, I posted a new story!! Hope you like it :)

Reply

Amaya .
23:51 Dec 04, 2020

thank you! ill read it asap :)

Reply

Laiba M
00:04 Dec 05, 2020

No problem! Thanks!~~

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:05 Dec 04, 2020

What do you think about the new prompts?

Reply

Amaya .
22:05 Dec 04, 2020

meh...don't rly like em

Reply

B. W.
22:06 Dec 04, 2020

I was really wanting to continue one of my series, maybe even the adventure with friends thing, but there's no way I can do any of those with these :/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lilah Blackburn
03:43 Dec 04, 2020

Amazing story! Well written. I can’t wait for more.

Reply

Amaya .
04:24 Dec 04, 2020

thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
10:40 Dec 03, 2020

Hey, could we maybe talk?

Reply

Amaya .
23:22 Dec 07, 2020

ofc!

Reply

B. W.
00:08 Dec 08, 2020

Yay ^^ so how ya been?

Reply

Amaya .
01:12 Dec 08, 2020

good wbu? kinda bored tbh, 2500 words into my novella

Reply

B. W.
02:19 Dec 08, 2020

Im just kinda bored and tired :/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
08:18 Dec 03, 2020

Heartwarming bio. ❤

Reply

Amaya .
16:50 Dec 03, 2020

thank you! :)

Reply

Sia S
02:41 Dec 05, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:26 Dec 02, 2020

The poem in your bio is beautiful!! It's so amazing!

Reply

Amaya .
00:02 Dec 03, 2020

oh thank you! that means a lot!

Reply

04:27 Dec 03, 2020

Aw, you're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
05:34 Dec 01, 2020

I got a new story out a little bit ago ^^ could you check out "Unforgivable" and then leave some feedback on it?

Reply

Amaya .
00:24 Dec 02, 2020

ofc!

Reply

B. W.
00:51 Dec 02, 2020

thanks ^^ so how are ya?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
04:09 Dec 01, 2020

Choco lava cake, and hot chocolate

Reply

Amaya .
04:12 Dec 01, 2020

thank you :) this is my favorite bio thing I've ever done, it's so sweet and makes me so happy how so many people are contributing. i mean, ur the second one, but still that's pretty good

Reply

Sia S
04:15 Dec 01, 2020

Welcome!! :) Ooh! And the crispy sound when you jump on autumn leaves, and the autumn smell :)

Reply

Amaya .
04:16 Dec 01, 2020

the autumn smell :)

Reply

Sia S
04:17 Dec 01, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zinnia Hansen
20:43 Nov 29, 2020

That was so sweet, a rally lovely little slice of life story. I am so glad I read it; it definitely brightened up my day:)

Reply

Amaya .
23:21 Dec 07, 2020

thank you so much Zinnia! That means a ton!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
21:45 Nov 27, 2020

Hey, could i maybe ask ya something?

Reply

Amaya .
22:16 Nov 27, 2020

sure! what's up?

Reply

B. W.
22:33 Nov 27, 2020

well, yesterday when i was doing some stuff someone commented on one of my stories saying something like "Sorry i have to do this :(" but it was deleted soon after because I cant find it, I found out from another friend that they said it to them as well I think, and they be the person doing the down-voting, has anyone said anything like that to you or something? If you remember anything, maybe we could go to their account or something and talk to them.

Reply

Amaya .
02:42 Nov 28, 2020

What's the account?

Reply

B. W.
02:50 Nov 28, 2020

That's the problem, i dont remember their account/name, and when I asked some others they either don't know them and it hasn't happened to them yet, or it did and they just don't remember the name. That's why I was hoping that you'd maybe know and stuff

Reply

Amaya .
17:33 Nov 28, 2020

ooohhh....well then idk what to do

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
18:18 Nov 27, 2020

This was a great story!! This is going in my favorite story of the week! Maybe build up the relationship between Rianne and Felix more.

Reply

Amaya .
19:31 Nov 27, 2020

thanks! ill keep that in mind, a lot of people said that.

Reply

. .
19:34 Nov 27, 2020

Np!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
18:09 Nov 27, 2020

Loved it, loved it, and loved it. Especially the end part. Sister too needs love and attention bro. The story was cute and very soothing. I liked it very much. Please do read my story on the same prompt and would love your feedback on it.

Reply

Amaya .
23:21 Dec 07, 2020

thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:19 Nov 27, 2020

Wow! It's such a sweet story. You've brought out the siblings relationship perfectly too! Happy writing! :)

Reply

Amaya .
23:21 Dec 07, 2020

thank you!!

Reply

14:36 Dec 11, 2020

My pleasure :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya W.
19:48 Nov 24, 2020

Hello Amaya! I liked this a while ago but never commented, lol. Rianne is a cute name, especially for a bakery (I saw someone else said that, but I wanted to reiterate it, lol), and I in general really enjoyed the story here. I was expecting Rianne to get mad at Felix (also a cute name), but I preferred the direction you went in. All in all, a pretty good story! I really enjoy your writing style, and look forward to reading more of your work! I wrote a couple stories last week and one this week, would you mind checking them out?

Reply

Amaya .
22:46 Nov 24, 2020

thanks! i'll do it as soon as I can :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Orenda .
15:42 Nov 24, 2020

M 🐭

Reply

Show 0 replies
Raquel Rodriguez
19:02 Nov 23, 2020

This is so good, Amaya! The name Rianne is so cute, I love it! Also, since this is for Ria, should I tell her to check it out or have you already done that? Rianne's Bakery is so catchy (it's probably not gonna be 'bakery,' lol, but that's what I got off the top of my head, hence my 'creative' brain) I felt a bit bad for Rianne in the beginning, but now I feel happy for her and Felix! I love the relationship between them, and how Rianne offers to help Felix and Chirag. Great job, love it!

Reply

Amaya .
22:45 Nov 24, 2020

thank you!

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
23:18 Nov 24, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
19:03 Nov 23, 2020

Also, sorry I don't have any feedback :P

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Orenda .
18:07 Nov 23, 2020

AMaYAAAaAaaAaAAAaaAAa

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 0 replies
02:26 Nov 23, 2020

“ When I pushed open the peeling door and stepped on the dirty tiles of our family store, I was immediately encompassed by the smell of mildew and rotting wood.” If you used “onto” instead of “on”, it will flow a bit better, even though “on” is technically correct as well. So, other than that, no grammar or smoothness mistakes I can see! On to the hard stuff... So, the only thing I saw about this was with the climax and resolution. Both of these actually come in the phone call with Felix, and the rest after that is just the denoueme...

Reply

Amaya .
22:46 Nov 24, 2020

thank you so so much for the critique and advice, i rly appreciate it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.