224 comments

Fantasy Drama

"Hey, bring that book here," Rudra says, pointing to the encyclopedia.


"Sure, sir," the white-dressed fairy says and lifts the encyclopedia in the air with her pink magic stick. The book slowly drifts in the air and goes towards Rudra.


With a little jump, 14-year-old Rudra catches the heavy encyclopedia.


Rudra flips the pages of the book at a high speed and stops.


"Got the word to the hospital."


"We should get going then," the fairy suggests.


"Pack my bags and take the water bottle, Deepshikha."


"Just a minute, sir," Deepshikha replies and shakes her magical wand.


Deepshikha is the most beautiful of all fairies. Rudra was given her as a companion because of his determination.Β 


He is unsure if the omens of his birth were true. They said he would be king of the world.


*****


Deepshikha, holding a suitcase in each hand, says, "Ready, sir."


"Don't call me sir. Just call me Rudra," Rudra says, then snatches the luggage.


"Okay, Rudra," Deepshikha chuckles.


She waves her wand. "Fairky."


Then a portal opens.


Rudra walks into it while Deepshikha floats inside.


Other fairies greet them in their world, Fairky.


"Yo, Rudra is here," they chant.


He turns his face away from them and puts his suitcase down.


He takes his sword out to practice for the king of the world competition.


"You should not do anything," Deepshikha says.


"WHY DO YOU SAY THAT TO ME EVERY DAY?" he hollers, not waiting for a reply.


"The king of the world competition is changing this year. Nobody knows what it shall be!" Deepshikha replies.


"Probably practice makes man perfect. No matter what the competition is, it will be fighting," Rudra says, confidently.


He is a believer in hard work and doesn't want to lose the 'king of the world' post.


The king of the world can travel to any part of the world freely. He can also get special permission for certain things. Anyone can compete in the contest without regard to age or wealth.


"You know you are going to be the king, so why are you practicing?" Deepshikha asks Rudra.


"I don't believe in your words blindly. Nothing reaches you without hard work," Rudra replies, hastily.


"Then I am out of this. You may do whatever you want," Deepshikha says and starts crying.


Rudra throws his sword upwards and runs towards Deepshikha.


"Hey Deepshikha, I didn't mean to offend you," Rudra says and wipes away the tears.


"I appreciate your concern," she says feebly.


"Let's go to the hospital and look out for the announcement of the competition."


"Fairy Hospitalia."


*****


"My application for the competition, sir," Rudra says and bangs the paper on the desk.


"Okay, taken. This is the rule book," the doctor says, handing over a thin book of paper to Rudra. "And, most importantly, this year we have received some warnings from the main hospital that Chai has returned."


"Okie," Rudra says, not paying heed. He gives the book to Deepshikha for her to take a look.


"DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHO CHAI IS?" the doctor yells at Rudra.


"Yeah, any problem?"


The doctor rubs his head and sits down. He swallows the blood pressure tablet. He is an old man and all his hair has turned white.


Rudra laughs at him. "Old man."


The doctor darts a look at him.


"Deepshikha, come on, let's go out of here." Rudra shakes Deepshikha, who is still staring at the rule book.


"Come on, now." He again shakes her.


"Rudra, there is no chance for you to win this time." She shakes her head sadly.


"Why?"


"It's an eating competition."


"WHAAAAAT?" Rudra shouts.


"Rudra, this is a hospital. Please control your anger."


"This doctor has done something," Rudra says, and gets teleported back to his house.


*****


"How should I win this?" Rudra asks hurriedly to Deepshikha.


"I have no clue. I don't think I can help you in this competition," Deepshikha explains to him.


"Okay, I should start practicing."


"How will you defeat Chai if he arrives there by chance?"


"Who cares about that? Let's go to the Fairy canteen and practice."


"Careless," Deepshikha murmurs in her breath.


"Did you say anything?"


"No, Rudra." She lifts her wand and shouts, "Food."


*****


They walk out of the portal into a large restaurant where food is flying everywhere.


"Four plates of doughnuts, eight plates of cream cake, twenty plates of chocolate cake," Rudra orders to the Fairy waiter, Clara.


"Will he eat that much?" Clara whispers to Deepshikha.


"Umm.. Who knows?" Deepshikha whispers back.


As the food comes, Rudra hurriedly starts eating.


*****


"I can't eat this much. How am I gonna win?" Rudra chokes out.


"Don't worry, my child. You are definitely going to win this," a divine, soft voice says from the back of him.


"Yo, Orenda. That is really nice of you, but how can I increase my eating capacity?" Rudra says, rubbing his head in utter confusion.


Orenda, the queen fairy with long brown braided hair states, "Practice," and teleports to Fairky.


"Don't I know that!" Rudra murmurs.


*****


He starts eating daily and improves day by day. Deepshikha is very helpful and buys him food every day from the fairy canteen.


"There is only one week for the competition," Rudra says to Deepshikha.


"Yeah, Rudra. I am going out to buy some food for you to practice." Deepshikha picks up her wand and gets going.


"Okay."


"I don't think I will become the king of the world this year," Rudra thinks.


*****


"Here is your food, sir," Deepshikha says, placing ten plates of doughnuts on the table.


"I told you not to call me sir. Call me Rudra," he yells at her.


"Okay, Rudra. I forgot."


*****


The day of the competition, Rudra starts practicing in the morning.


"What are you doing, Rudra? You shouldn't practice now. You may win only if you're going to the competition with an empty stomach," Deepshikha shouts at him.


"I can't win without practicing," Rudra says, hurriedly eating the doughnuts.


"Your choice then."


Rudra finishes his food and washes his face. He looks in the mirror with a lot of hope that he will win the competition.


"Let's go to the hospital," Rudra calls out to Deepshikha.


"Fairy hospitalia." The portal opens and both of them walk in.


*****


They arrive in the sky and they are flying in midair. The host of the competition, a handsome man with silky black hair, welcomes them.


"Where should I sit?" Rudra asks the host, Oliver.


"In the corner of the room where your name is written in bold words," Oliver says, pointing to the corner of the hospital.


Rudra walks slowly to the corner, with his stomach full.


Deepshikha floats slowly to Rudra's place.


"All the best. I should go to the fairy oath-taking ceremony," Deepshikha says.


"I will come with you," Rudra suggests.


"Oh.. Okay. We should go to the reception."


They start walking and reach the reception of the flying hospital.


All the fairies, including Deepshikha raise their hands at the shoulder level and start singing.


"We are the fairies.


We never cheat even with our enemies.


We are always true


And loyal to the order of blue


We fight for ourselves


Thank you to the fairies and Fairy Queen Orenda."


"That was nice!" exclaimed Rudra.


"Okay!" Deepshikha said with glee.


"I think it's time to go, let’s go."


"Yeah."


They advance at their full speed and Rudra gets seated in his place.


"Hi, I am Rakesh," the person seated next to Rudra says and stretches out his hand.


"Okay, I am Rudra."


"All the best."


"Thanks."


The host shouts into the mic, "Ladies and gentlemen, let the competition begin. Slow and steady always wins. The best food eater is the winner. Eyes on the prize."


Large plates of doughnuts and cakes are placed on the table.


"START."


Rudra starts eating as fast as he can.


"Eat slowly. You have a lot of time. See Rakesh," Deepshikha says.


He sees the young man with large arms and a weird moustache, eating one doughnut per minute and enjoying the food.


"Rakesh is eating very slowly."


"Yeah. He's gonna win it!"


"I am fast and furious."


"But the tortoise beat the rabbit."


"I don't care," Rudra says and munches on the yummy doughnuts.


*****


Rudra is full and his stomach can't take more.


"Deepshikha, please help." He presses his stomach hard and tries to eat more. But he couldn't.


"Only for your sake." Deepshikha grins.


"Please make it fast."


"Vanish-avia."


The food suddenly vanishes. Rakesh looks in awe with the doughnut in his mouth. And then the doughnut falls out of his mouth.


"Please," Rudra pleads.


"I don't care whatever you do, I came here just for the food, not for the competition," Rakesh assures Rudra.


Rudra heaves a sigh of relief.


"Next round, Oliver."


"Give that young man some more to eat," Oliver shouts, pointing at Rudra.


And another plate of doughnuts arrived in front of Rudra.


He blinks at Deepshikha and she vanishes the food again.


This happens many times and Rudra wins the contest.


"Thank you, Deepshikha," Rudra says before he gets lifted by the large crowd.


"HAIL THE KING OF THE WORLD, Rudra," everyone shouts in unison.


They let him down on the platinum throne made just for the king.


Oliver takes the golden crown and places it on Rudra's head.


"Finally, my dream has come true. I am truly the king of the world as said on my birth," he thinks.


"What do you plan to do, Rudra?" Oliver asks.


"You should have asked me," Deepshikha says and slowly her rich white skin transforms into brown scales. Her wings fall off just like that. And what stands there is an ugly creature with sharp nails and sharp yellow teeth.


The ugly creature snatches the crown from Rudra and places it on its own head.


"Hey, give it back to me. It is my dream," Rudra pleads.


"No way. This is my dream too. I was the most beautiful fairy when that stupid queen changed me into an animal and you gave me a name, Chai," Chai says, admiring the crown on his head using the long mirror.


"But, why did Orenda change you into an animal?" Rudra asks the admiring creature.


"Because I wanted this crown to adorn my head. She said fairies aren't eligible. That's why! So now this is mine," Chai says.


"WHERE IS DEEPSHIKHA?" Rudra hollers at Chai.


"Shoo. Shoo. I am the king, raise your voice, I will kill you. Find her yourself." Chai laughs and taunts Rudra.


"Okay, please tell me where to find Deepshikha?"


"King of the world? Ha! All you can do is depend on your fairy to pull you out of trouble. She was your crutch since birth and you never realised when I took her," Chai taunts Rudra.


Tears flowing down his cheeks he says, "I will find her."


"Graaaaaaaaaaaaaaar," Chai roars which made the crowd run haywire.


"This is not the time to fight him," Rakesh says to Rudra and they start running.


They stop at Rudra's house and lock themselves in.


"Yo, Rudra. Arrogance is the way for your ruin," the doctor says.


"Why are you here?" Rudra asks him.


"Your arrogance has paved the path to your ruin, you have lost both the crown and your best friend."


"Now, this is only between me and Chai. I am finding Deepshikha at any cost."


Rudra stands up and sharpens his sword.

October 09, 2020 15:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

224 comments

Hriday Saboo
04:47 Oct 13, 2020

Cool story. Keerththan. Would you mind reading my new story

Reply

05:05 Oct 13, 2020

Thank you and sure!

Reply

Hriday Saboo
05:06 Oct 13, 2020

Welcome. Thanks

Reply

05:10 Oct 13, 2020

Welcome!

Reply

Hriday Saboo
05:28 Oct 13, 2020

πŸ‘

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:26 Dec 02, 2020

Would you mind reading my new story "Childish dream?"

Reply

Hriday Saboo
09:58 Dec 03, 2020

Sure

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Clara D Berry
04:32 Oct 13, 2020

Keerththan! You didn't tell me I was in your story! Maybe I would have come sooner! ;) The first thing I noticed when I read your story was that you used Reedsy names. The last thing I noticed was that mine was one of them. I guess it's my fault for using a common name on Reedsy. "Deepshikha" and "Orenda" jumped out at me much more than "Clara," which I often see in stories even when they're not using Reedsy names. Anyway, now that I realized that was me, I really appreciate it. Sorry it took me so long to get to this. I don't know if yo...

Reply

05:10 Oct 13, 2020

I finished and edited everything you said. Thank you for all the mistakes you have said. And one thing I have to say, you have a large role to play in Part 2. That's why I called you into the story. I wrote this story just as a tribute to Deepshikka. She said she left. And she left. I was left alone for 3 to 4 days and then I got a message from her, that she will be here just sometime. Okay, sorry I drifted from the topic. You have given me high praise for the dialogues. You have done a lot of help to me. Won't you be in the story! An...

Reply

Clara D Berry
05:38 Oct 13, 2020

You're welcome. You might want to double-check that homework. You got almost everything, but the sentence "He is a ten-year-old boy" which you replaced is still there (now redundant since you replaced it), and the parts where he's thinking are still in quotes. I was wondering what happened to Deepshikha. When I finished the story the first time I looked for her right away in the comments but didn't see her. You earned that praise! Can't wait to see the next story!

Reply

Clara D Berry
06:35 Oct 13, 2020

Now you took out that extra sentence and put in the italics, but the thoughts are still in quotation marks. You don't need the quotation marks when you use italics to show thinking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:35 Oct 16, 2020

Hey Clara Just wanted to say, this story also didn't get approved!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
05:16 Oct 13, 2020

Another thing is I started writing poetry... Wanna check out??? https://allpoetry.com/Flamey And another thing I forgot, Rudra is an arrogant boy who doesn't give respect too. So, calling the queen with her name is right in the story for him.

Reply

Clara D Berry
05:39 Oct 13, 2020

Cool. I just looked at it, and I like it. It's harder to tell in your poetry that you're not a native English speaker. Some of the rhymes are slant, but that's poetic license. Ah, that makes sense then.

Reply

05:45 Oct 13, 2020

Glad you liked it! Thank you for taking a look! There is even private chat in Allpoetry, ya know?

Reply

Clara D Berry
05:58 Oct 13, 2020

Interesting. I did not know that. I haven't used Allpoetry myself.

Reply

06:03 Oct 13, 2020

Join it! I am sure you will love it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
06:06 Oct 13, 2020

I will explain you everything as you join! There's no downvoting and its 10 times larger than Reedsy!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:01 Jan 11, 2021

Just asking if u can submit me a story under 1200 words. Any topic for my podcast. https://forms.gle/mwRfwtLvKxjAz3tw9

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Abhik Bhanu
03:14 Oct 13, 2020

Narrative through conservation is griping. a must-read story.

Reply

03:33 Oct 13, 2020

Thank you.(would you mind liking my story if you haven't?) Thank you for reading.....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Julia Boddie
17:09 Oct 12, 2020

Such a great story. I'm amazed!! You're writing is AWESOME!!!!!

Reply

17:21 Oct 12, 2020

Thank you! (would you mind liking my story?)

Reply

Julia Boddie
17:22 Oct 12, 2020

Sure! (And by that I mean I will, not that I mind.)

Reply

17:29 Oct 12, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Julia Boddie
17:31 Oct 12, 2020

You're welcome. Hey, you're a really good author if you have the time (and if you would like to), do you think you can read my story and give me some feedback?

Reply

03:25 Oct 13, 2020

Yeah, sure!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
06:43 Oct 12, 2020

"She was your crotch since birth" I'm sorry but I laughed out loud at this xD I think you meant "crutch" ;) Anyway I thought this was a very fun and intriguing story. An eating contest to decide who gets to rule the world is hilarious. And a delightful plot twist as always, as well as nice cliffhanger to set up a potential sequel. Just work on showing instead of telling like Charles said, and I think you're gonna be an awesome storyteller. Keep it up! :D

Reply

07:00 Oct 12, 2020

No problem, I didn't even know the meaning of the word. I just copy pasted what Charles said. And then saw the meaning. Thanks. I edited that. Even I thought, it had be hilarious. Okay, I am saying one thing, I am literally clueless, how to show I stead of tell. I am hanging my head to the door right now. I am annoyed. I am trying but I don't get it. Please help me. Thank you for reading. Would you mind liking my story? Thanks!

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
07:16 Oct 12, 2020

Hey don’t be so hard on yourself man. Your stories are impressive, make no mistake. A good way to understand the difference between showing and telling is to imagine you are in the character’s shoes. Let’s say, for example, you are in a story where you forget to wash the dishes. As soon as mom finds out, you know she’s angry. But HOW do you know she’s angry? Maybe she’s frowning. Maybe her arms are crossed. Maybe she shouts at you. Hence, instead of writing β€œMom was angry that I didn’t wash the dishes,” you could say, β€œMom shouted a...

Reply

07:37 Oct 12, 2020

Okay, I was just kidding. But, I was really annoyed. Okay, I will try to incorporate it in this story. Thanks for explaining. Please like my story if you haven't

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Vivek Sehgal
05:43 Oct 12, 2020

Errors are bound to occur in writing, also not all of us are professional editors, even if you read my stories you will find errors but basic grammatical errors kill the story as the entire attention is on the blunders and you cannot concentrate on the narrative, Use of pronouns is basic, correct order of sentence is necessary and several words needs to avoided, if a writer tends to use same words everytime it cannot evoke excitement in reader, The other problem is showing less telling more and that too insignificantly, it would be bette...

Reply

04:04 Oct 13, 2020

Yeah that's a problem with me. I changed that magic into showing. Okay, thank you for reading and the advice.

Reply

Vivek Sehgal
06:01 Oct 13, 2020

God bless you😊😊

Reply

06:04 Oct 13, 2020

Thank youπŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jill Davies
20:52 Oct 11, 2020

Interesting twist at the end. I would have liked to see a bit more magic woven into the world. I also want an explanation for why the king of the word competition would be an eating contest 😝!

Reply

02:56 Oct 12, 2020

I will give you the explanations in part 2. Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Meggy House
15:50 Oct 11, 2020

Wow! This was a really engaging and nice story! I love Chai's twist and I find it super cool how Rudra actually ended up practicing for the skill he needed most. I also find the concept of a doughnut-eating competition really funny. Thank you so much for inviting me here!

Reply

16:03 Oct 11, 2020

Thank you! I am glad you loved it! Thank you for reading.(would you mind liking my story?)

Reply

Meggy House
16:08 Oct 11, 2020

I believe I have already liked it, but I will try again!

Reply

16:39 Oct 11, 2020

Thank you! You have done it now!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Thom With An H
11:43 Oct 11, 2020

You are really growing as a writer. Keep listening to Charles. He is giving great feedback. This was one of your best so far. Keep writing!!!

Reply

12:55 Oct 11, 2020

Thank you! And that's for sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pratheeksha R
06:03 Oct 11, 2020

This was a good read!

Reply

06:22 Oct 11, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:50 Oct 10, 2020

Nice story keerthu.. Keep rocking.. Waiting for your part 2...all the best

Reply

09:20 Oct 10, 2020

Thank you! Will write part 2!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jen Park
15:26 Nov 26, 2020

No wonder why it received 90 likes! The dialogue was unforced and humorous (I never had talent with creating dialogues.)The character was cute, and Rudra's obsession on Deepshikha and being King was nothing to be just glanced over. I love the character, ambitious and dedicated protagonist, but sometimes bit overconfident and arrogant. I would love to watch him grow in process of finding Deepshikha. Is this a sequel? I'd love to know the other parts! And some names of the characters are same with the names of the "Reeders" here. :) Is it like...

Reply

16:37 Nov 26, 2020

Yea, I love dialogues. I will try to write a sequel if the prompt comes. No, I have to write other parts. Some names are reeders:) I have a lot of problems with descriptions. I will try to improve. Thanks on both the reads.πŸ˜€

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Loved it! I can't wait to know what happens next... Also do check out my stories and tell me how it is.

Reply

08:31 Nov 18, 2020

Glad you did! I won't make you wait! Will try to...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
05:15 Nov 15, 2020

hey

Reply

15:38 Nov 15, 2020

Hey

Reply

B. W.
18:42 Nov 15, 2020

how are ya?

Reply

08:09 Nov 16, 2020

Fine. I have exams going on. So, I am studying all the time. And I don't think I will be writing more in Reedsy.

Reply

B. W.
08:23 Nov 16, 2020

oh

Reply

08:14 Nov 28, 2020

Gonna read you stories.....

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:02 Jan 11, 2021

Hey Just asking if u can submit me a story under 1200 words. Any topic for my podcast. https://forms.gle/mwRfwtLvKxjAz3tw9

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Felicity Anne
21:58 Nov 13, 2020

Hey Keerththan! I saw in your bio that you wanted some upvotes, so I will be sure to upvote you!!

Reply

13:07 Nov 14, 2020

Thank you so much! Actually, I saw the raise in points and I will try and return the favour.

Reply

Felicity Anne
16:12 Nov 14, 2020

Thank you, Keeththan!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
13:16 Nov 11, 2020

I really loved this story, because it really exposed some character flaws and it had a masterful plot. I think that it could go a little slower, there was maybe a little too much action too fast, just add some inner monologues so we can connect with the character and it'll be even better. Could you check out my two stories? I'd really love your feedback.

Reply

02:38 Nov 12, 2020

Glad you love it! Pace is my problem! I can't get it down myself. Very tough! Thank you so much for stopping by. Will try reading....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amogh Kasat
03:45 Nov 03, 2020

wonderful story Keerththan! Keep writing wonderful stories. MI v DC on 5th November coming online

Reply

15:55 Nov 03, 2020

Mi vs dry today. Mi is playing so wastely.

Reply

Amogh Kasat
02:20 Nov 04, 2020

Yes tomorrow qualifier 1

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Orenda .
07:34 Oct 31, 2020

yo bro, how're you?? your brother messaged me and I confused between you and him, hehehehe. But it's okayy.

Reply

08:07 Oct 31, 2020

Nice! But I am taking a break for a while. Mostly only 20 days. I will return. Sorry if you were confused. But sorry I won't be online always.

Reply

Orenda .
08:37 Oct 31, 2020

great. Ah, it's totally fine. Take your time :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Orenda .
04:34 Oct 29, 2020

hello Bello, i got a new story out, mind reading it and sharing your viewssss? Thankooo

Reply

08:50 Oct 29, 2020

Will do!

Reply

Orenda .
09:00 Oct 29, 2020

thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:08 Oct 25, 2020

I enjoyed this story! It was very magical and descriptive! Well done and happy writing!

Reply

03:30 Oct 26, 2020

Thank you for reading and glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.