201 comments

Funny Fantasy

Author’s note: this story is a prequel to, and uses the same characters as ‘Can You?’ (kind of) and ‘A Recipe for Disaster’. This story can be understood on its own, but you might want to read ‘a Recipe for Disaster’ first to gain better understanding! Enjoy!


I trace my fingers across the intricately carved wood. Why are coffins so pretty? This one is made of smooth, shiny redwood, engraved with images of frolicking animals and a young lady casting a spell. 

The young lady symbolizes my mother, I guess. Now I want to smack the coffin-carver. It seems like a cruel joke, having an image of my mom, alive, on her own coffin.

I stare at the closed coffin, holding back the tears threatening to slide down my cheeks. My eyes are swimming but I’m not going to give into my emotions. Not just because if I do, it’s not certain I’ll be able to control the magic emerging from my feelings, but also because I can’t cry. I won’t cry.

Mom is dead. I can barely believe it. A month ago, she was alive and well. Then, Mom tried to perform a spell. Spells are tricky—they’re much harder than doing plain old magic, but also more convenient once you master them.

Mom is—was—amazing at spells, but even skilled magicians screw up. What was supposed to be a harmless spell to conjure up candy, ‘renilayla’, was mispronounced as ‘remilayla’.

Mispronouncing spells backfires on you.

But ‘remilayla’ is a spell. An illegal spell. The killing spell.

Mom was performing the spell in front of a glass door. Which was a big mistake. The mispronounced spell bounced off the mirror and hit her Mom square in her chest. 

So now, here I am. After the funeral of Ariana Draanen, I’m allowed to have the room to myself for a couple minutes to say goodbye.

Mom’s been dead for weeks, but only now is her funeral. I hate funerals—I mean, I only attend ones for people I care about, which automatically makes them heart-wrenchingly sad. The name Margarita Draanen has only been in three guest books, ever.

I sigh and push my long, brown-with-red-parts hair of my face as I lean down and kiss the coffin. Kissing wood is weird but kissing a dead person is weirder, so this’ll have to do.

I slip out of the funeral room and speed-walk down the hallway. I hate funeral buildings. They smell sickly sweet—even worse than hospital’s smells. 

I dislike hospitals, but funeral places are even worse. In hospitals, people can have their last day of life or their first day of life. For some, the day at the hospital is one of their happiest days, and for others, not so happy of times. At least half of those situations are good…attending a funeral isn't happy at all.

Still, there’s a slim chance Mom’ll be fine. The spell bounced off something, meaning it got less powerful. Doctors have figured out that for a month after somebody died from a reflected spell, they aren’t 100% dead yet.

That means, for a month, there’s a chance to bring back said person. Doctors have been working on engineering a spell for this cause for a while now, and Dr. Brooke thinks they're about to make a breakthrough.

So…maybe Mom’ll be back.

But for now, she’s dead.

Actually, a deceased mother isn’t my only problem.

See, mispronouncing spells is kinda embarrassing. At Enchanted Academy, when a spell blows up in somebody’s face, they’re an immediate laughing stock for eternity.

Unless the spell literally blows up in their face—in which case, they get around a week of pity before the teasing beginnings.

Even worse, the embarrassment can stick through generations. My best friend, Rosalee, is still teased occasionally for her grandfather accidentally exploding his cat fifty years ago.

I’m fourteen, and yet most of my classmates have the maturity of toddlers. The word ‘serious’ literally doesn’t exist, and while senses of humor are very common, empathy’s more rare. Cats dying, humans dying—people will be goaded no matter what.

I’m the daughter of a screw-up—a dead screw-up, but a screw-up nonetheless. It’s been a month since Mom’s embarrassing death, and I haven’t yet been teased, remarkably.

I give myself a month. 

A month until the teasing begins.

Yup, I bet I have a month.

It turns out, I don’t even have a week.



*



It’s been five days since the funeral—it’s Friday. As soon as I walk into Enchanted Academy, I hear murmurs and giggles.

I duck my head down and focus on my boots clacking against the tiles. I trot to my first class, Water Skills. I’m a bit early, so I wait outside the door.

A moment later, Rosalee strides up to me. “Hey, Margarita.”

“Hi,” I say. “Do you notice something…different?”

I scan my surroundings, where clusters of kids are scattered around the halls. Most are whispering amongst one another, occasionally pointing at me and snorting. There’s definitely been a shift in the mood.

“Yeah,” Rosalee says, her blond hair swishing as she swivels her head. “I betcha today’s the day—you’ll start being teased. Sorry, Mara, but it’s been long enough since your mom’s death.”

I bite my lip. “Okay.”

“I’ve got to go to the bathroom. Be right back, m’kay?”

I nod, and Rosalee walks off.

Barely five seconds later, Carter Creed and his band of idiots swagger up to me. Carter’s a short blond-haired boy who loves insulting people. He’s pretty smart, but his followers are…not. 

“Hey, Margarita,” Carter says, smiling.

I shoot him a look. “What?” 

“Donald here has something to tell you.” 

He gestures behind him, and another boy steps up. Donald Black, a brown-haired, green-eyed dumbo who’s very tall and very…ugh. “Why did the chicken cross the road?”

If Enchanted Academy’s anime, question marks would be flashing above my head. I don’t know, and I don’t care. But I’m interested to see how this one would end… “Why?” 

“To get to the screw-up’s house. Now, knock-knock.”

I roll my eyes. I know how this jeer ends. But I specialize in taking burns and firing the flames back at the person—so this’ll be fun. “Who’s there?” I say.

“The chicken!” Donald exclaims.

All the boys, including Carter, crack up.

I laugh too, then say, “And I take it you’re the chicken?”

“Well…yes. Actually, no. Um…yeah.”

“Seems fitting. You’re a coward.”

“What?” Donald gasps. “No!”

“Yup,” I smirk. I fashion my arms into wings: “Buck-buck-buck! I’m a chicken!”

 Donald’s expression crumbles. “I’m not a coward, Margarita.”

“Mmhmm,” I say. “You were too scared to finish your corndog for lunch yesterday!” Strange, I know, but I had a plan.

“I was full!” Donald protests.

I give him a knowing glance. “Chicken.”

Donald glares then races down the hallway. He hollers, “I’M COMING FOR YOU, CORNDOG!” I grin, knowing my plan has succeeded. A day-old corndog (that used to be in the trash) is about to gulped down by a guy who’s way too easy to trick.

I flash a smile at Carter and his goons and walk into Water Skills just as the bell rings behind me.



*



 All throughout first period, I’m peppered with insults. Some are clever, some are not, and most I deflect by turning them on the teen who insulted me. 

I glance at the clock. It’s a quarter till nine, which is the end of Water Skills. Ms. Schmidt is currently explaining how to fashion water into ice sculptures in less than a second.

“Hey, Mara!” Jack whispers.

I stare at the boy. “What?”

“Your mom is really bad at magic. It runs in the family, apparently.”

I scowl at him. “Oh, that wasn’t even funny!”



*



 “Margarita!”

I whip my head around, trying to find the owner of the voice interrupting Mr. McDavitt’s droning on and on. It’s the third period—Potions. Nobody else seems to notice the voice, but then I hear:

“Pssst! Mara!”

I sigh and I peer behind my back. It’s a girl, Ava. Her black hair is twisted into a bun sitting aloof on her head, and her lip-glossed mouth is curled into a smile.

“What?” I groan.

“The ‘80s called. They want their skills back.”

I glare. “Oh, and the 1880s called. They want their insult back.”

The last thing I see of Ava is her mouth dropping open, before I turn back around and continue listening to Mr. McDavitt’s lesson.



*



“Ugh,” I moan as I hear the bell ring, signaling the end of recess. “Seriously?”

Rosalee, who’s swinging on the monkey bars next to me, also groans. “Dang it. C’mon, let’s go in.”   

We start migrating towards the doors when Carter walks up to me. “Margarita?”

I ignore him and Rosalee and I keep going.

Carter follows us. “Margaritaaaaa….”

I start speed-walking, but Carter matches my pace. “Mara!”

“What?” I snap. “I don’t care, Carter! I DO NOT care about whatever insult is about to fly out of your mouth!”

Rosalee creeps away, leaving me to glare at Carter on the empty playground.

“Actually, I wasn’t here to tease you.”

“You’re not?” I squint.

A small smile appears on Carter’s face. “Yup. So…I know we don’t know each other that well, but—”

“Spit it out.”

“—are you single?” Carter blurts.

I blink. And blink again. I’m resisting cracking up right now… seriously, HA! I mean, I know that at age fourteen, it’s not unusual for a couple teens in my grade to have girlfriends and boyfriends, but I sure don’t. 

I have a feeling Carter is about to ask me out or something, which is…weird. Plus, ‘are you single?’ sounds like something a middle-aged woman would ask at a grocery store, not something a teenage boy who knows very well I’m ‘single’ would say.  

Anyways, this is strange, but in a funny way. I’m glad Carter isn’t here to tease me—and boy, am I in luck. We’re about to have a very awkward conversation, I can tell, but I’m going to make Carter regret ever walking up to me.

I bat my eyes at him. “No, I’m plural.”

Carter frowns. “I mean, are you free on Saturday?”

“Actually, I’m rather expensive that day.”

“W-well…well—” Carter sputters.

I smile. “Yes?”

“Are you open on Saturday?”

“No, I’m closed on Saturday, sorry.”

“Y-you know what I mean.”

“Hmm, I guess so,” I say. “Well, yes, I guess I’m open on Saturday.”

“Umm…do you wanna catch a movie?”

“I’ve heard they’re rather hard to chase down, actually.”

Okay, I’m really about to break. This is hilarious! Carter’s saying all the wrong things, meaning whatever's flying out if his mouth is perfect for me to turn on him. 

 “Margarita,” Carter says slowly, “do you want to watch a movie with me on Saturday?”

“There’s a chance,” I say.

Carter nods eagerly. “What chance?”

“Count the stars in the sky.”

“Yes!” he hollers, pumping a fist up. (Wow, Carter, way to play it cool.) Then he squints up at the clear sapphire sky, not a star in sight. “Wait, it’s daytime.”

“Exactly,” I deadpan. “Bye-bye, Carter.”

I start to prance off but he calls, “Mara! Can I at least have your number?”

I stop, turn, and smile sweetly. “Of course,” I say as I take the pen and paper from his clammy hands. I grin as I scribble down:


9-1-1.

That’s the number you’ll need to call if you ever ask for my number again.


I cap the pen and, without breaking eye contact, hand it and the paper to Carter. I smirk as I walk into the building, leaving a confused dumbo behind to realize I’m not the one for him.



*



I’m still inwardly laughing by the time sixth period rolls around—the last class of the day. Today was pretty fun—I was teased dozens of times, but it wasn’t all that bad. Oh, and Carter set a world record for Most Hilarious Fail—in the Margarita World Records, anyways.

I eye the clock at the front of the room.

Tick, tock.

Tick, tock. 

Tick, tock.

Just another minute until school lets out—YES! 

A million years later, the shrill sound of the bell greets my ears. I grin and dash into the hallway, which is just starting to fill up.

My brown-red hair swings in my face as I jog out of the building. I’m about to meet Rosalee at the bus when I hear—

“Margarita!”

I don’t recognize the voice, but that has to be bad. I’m frowning as I turn around, only to see a girl running up to me. She has brown hair brushed into two pigtails, her blue eyes shining in the sunlight. A smattering of freckles is thrown across her nose, a smile painted onto her lips. She looks fifteen or sixteen.

“Who are you, and why are you here?” I say.

She pouts. “I’m Kiki.”

“And…” I prompt.

“I’m here to tell you…HA! Your mama was so bad at spells that squirrels were laughing at her.” I mentally added the strange insult to my Burn List. “Honestly, what happened has gotta tell you something: Ariana is such a failure, she died!”

That hit home. This wasn’t just about Mom mispronouncing a spell. Kiki just brought up my mother’s death. Another cruel joke, just like the coffin, but Kiki is trying to hurt me.

“What the heck?” I holler. “You’re so rude! My mom’s in a coffin and you’re joking about it?!”

“Well, yeah. Besides, she’s out of the coffin.”

“Huh?” I say, remembering how Kiki had said Ariana is a failure—present tense. “What are you talking about?”

“Didn’t you hear?”

“No,” I say slowly. “What?”

“People aren’t that insensitive, Margarita. We got the news this morning, but apparently you didn’t. Your mom died, but she isn’t dead. The doctors found the counter spell.”


September 02, 2020 01:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

201 comments

01:56 Sep 02, 2020

Hiya, guys! Like usual, a couple notes: 1. YAAAAY! This story was only 2500 words! I’M SO PROUD! 2. Okay, I wrote this story as I was driving home from Virginia Beach. Iiiit might be awful. Tell me what you think! 3. This story was a bit different than some others. It was a comedy, like the prompt, but kind of a...dark comedy? I dunno. 4. Oh, yeah, I included a couple decent jeers and burn-backs in this story. Like, if anybody every says ‘the ‘80s called, they want their clothes back’ or something, say, “the 1880s called, they want their...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lulu Lemon
20:30 Sep 02, 2020

Great job!! I really liked this story and the names!

Reply

20:31 Sep 02, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Lulu Lemon
20:41 Sep 02, 2020

No problem!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:56 Sep 03, 2020

Awesome job!! I really liked this story!!!!!! It was super creative and made me laugh- out loud, so everyone in my house looked at me like I was a weirdo- at multiple parts. Great job!

Reply

01:57 Sep 03, 2020

Thanks! Haha, I’ve had similar things happen when I’m reading ;). But seriously, I’m honored, than, you!!

Reply

02:09 Sep 03, 2020

Of course! ( And I finished upvoting- a lot. You are only about 50 away from 1st place!!! I will go try to upvote more but I don't know if there is any that I haven't upvoted...

Reply

02:11 Sep 03, 2020

Now about 30!!!!! YAY! We can get you to first place!!

Reply

02:13 Sep 03, 2020

20..... I am going to count down... I hope you don't mind

Reply

02:15 Sep 03, 2020

10!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:57 Sep 03, 2020

And I'm bored... so I am going to go on a little upvoting spree on your comments and stories!!!

Reply

11:18 Sep 03, 2020

🥰🥰🥰 THANKSSSSSS!!! 🥰🥰🥰

Reply

15:11 Sep 03, 2020

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Zilla Babbitt
14:05 Sep 03, 2020

Six points ahead yo! *she sang out* 🤣 I'm collecting names for my spotlight thing... what's your favorite story that you've written?

Reply

14:30 Sep 03, 2020

Haha! Actually, I got 11 more points (1st place), then got downvoted (2nd place), but now... Only 30 points behind you! *she sang out* 😋 I’m kinda confused what’s happening! But anyways...hmm...I’ve got to say the Choosings! Part 1, I guess, because I don’t know if I can say two. But yeah, the Choosings—Part 1!! Thank you! Stay safe and have a good day! 😄 ~Aerinnnn!

Reply

Zilla Babbitt
16:13 Sep 03, 2020

Have you seen the "spotlight of the moment" in my bio? It's Winston Churchill right now but the next on the list is a Reedsy writer. (Not you, but you're soon).

Reply

17:07 Sep 03, 2020

Oh, yeah, I looked at it!! Okay! Aw, thanks!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
15:14 Sep 03, 2020

Haha, I saw you took the ‘quiz’. It was more of a quick thing intended for Vayd, cuz my friend just won’t say his age (it pleases him to watch my suffer; he’s ‘MUAHAHAHAHA’-ed a couple times) and it’s driving me nuts and bolts (???), but good to know, hehe. I won’t tell anyone ;). Anyways...um...yeah. The pretty much only point of this message was saying sup, quiz was for Vayd which was why it was a little wonky to outsider, um, yeah. Bye!

Reply

Zilla Babbitt
15:21 Sep 03, 2020

Ha! Yeah, it was fun. I'm actually working on a form right now, one about other authors and writing and genres... I'll put that up in a week or so. And thanks :)

Reply

15:26 Sep 03, 2020

Ooh, cool! I,l definitely take it ;) Quizzes are fuuuuun to make and take! 😄😄😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Akshat .
05:17 Sep 02, 2020

Some things: 1. AWESOME! Nice sequel to the Rosalee-Margarita-Samantha thingy! 2. Just a random thing, the top 10 are ALL girls! 3. Please do another sequel! 4. Question: Is this before during the events of Samantha's high school? Or is it when Rosalee and Margarita were BFFs and went to the magic school? That's all! Great story!

Reply

11:59 Sep 02, 2020

Answering in orddddder! 1. Yay, thanks so much! 2. YEYA (not a typo) 3. Oh, I probably will, haha! 4. This takes place at the Enchanted Academy, in late 8th grade. 9th grade is when Rosalee and Margarita get expelled—this is a prequel! Thanks for reading!

Reply

Akshat .
12:12 Sep 02, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
15:53 Sep 02, 2020

Hey Aerin, I thought this was a very fun story loaded with awesome burns and comebacks haha. I’m very worried that the kids thought it’d be funny to poke fun at someone’s dead mother, but then again, I guess this isn’t an ordinary school 😅 Maybe it’s because I haven’t read the other stories you suggested, but to me Carter asking Mara out didn’t seem very relevant to everything else going on. Unless you’re setting up for the sequel, maybe? 🤔 Anyway good stuff, keep it up! 😙

Reply

16:02 Sep 02, 2020

Thank you! Yeah, it’s a whole different environment... yup, it wasn’t super relevant, but it was a random humorous segment adding to the fact the day was mostly fun and games...which makes Kiki’s statements and Mara’s outburst more interesting. Thanks for taking the time to comment!😁😁😁

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
16:07 Sep 02, 2020

Okay, that clears things up! And it’s no problem 😙

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
D. Shikha
15:32 Sep 03, 2020

Just upvoted you a bit. You're at #1 now, Aerin!!

Reply

17:04 Sep 03, 2020

Thank you so much! Actually, I’m 2nd again, because Zilla got some more points, but thanks!!

Reply

D. Shikha
17:16 Sep 03, 2020

You're welcome!! Always trying to take you to #1:)

Reply

17:33 Sep 03, 2020

Aw, thank youuuu! P. S. Your comment was at 0...why?!

Reply

D. Shikha
17:39 Sep 03, 2020

At 0?? I don't know. Maybe someone downvoted it.

Reply

17:40 Sep 03, 2020

Hey, Deepshikha! Do you notice a different in your points...?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshat .
15:26 Sep 03, 2020

Check out the new section on my bio! :)

Reply

15:28 Sep 03, 2020

I did! Cool ;)

Reply

Akshat .
15:29 Sep 03, 2020

Thanks! Glad you liked it!

Reply

21:15 Sep 03, 2020

Hey, Akshat! I just posted a new story! Would you mind checking it out?

Reply

Akshat .
02:29 Sep 04, 2020

Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshat .
05:12 Sep 03, 2020

AERIN! WE NEED ANOTHER SPY MISSION! PLEASE! 🕵️‍♂️🕵️‍♀️

Reply

14:41 Sep 03, 2020

Haha, idk...I have a lot to do right now but MAYBE ;)

Reply

Akshat .
15:11 Sep 03, 2020

Ohhkay. Yeah, I guess with proofreading AND publishing CQ you'll have less time on your hands!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:46 Sep 03, 2020

Love It! I write in the car (or just when traveling) too

Reply

01:17 Sep 03, 2020

Thanks! Nice

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarah Freeman
20:33 Sep 02, 2020

Ok, WOW. Notes: -The title makes its sound like ‘remilayla’ is a character. I know this is kinda unhelpful, but I dunno what to change it to. Just change it plz. -This doesn’t seem like it has much to do with Rosalee and Mara. Maybe make it entirely new characters? It’s just so disconnected that it would be easy to change a few names here and there and make it a whole new story. -Mara Draanen? Mr. McDavitt? WHY do you like to use so many names of people that you know? Doing different names is part of the fun. No, that doesn’t mean you sho...

Reply

20:34 Sep 02, 2020

I don’t think you meant to submit that already, so I’ll wait...

Reply

Sarah Freeman
20:48 Sep 02, 2020

Changed it!

Reply

20:48 Sep 02, 2020

Okay! Will read now!

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:53 Sep 02, 2020

Responses! 1. I changed it, kinda 2. What do you mean? The plot has 0 similarities with the other stories, but that’s the point. I like using similar character, and it doesn’t really matter it’s not suuuper relevant cuz it’s okay! 3. Idk, I’m just bad a picking last name. I love writing first names, but after I type it down, I just stare into space as I think of a surname. I know way too many names from name Lott’s, but my mind just erases any last name, so I slowly think of last names I know...Sarah FREEMAN, Kate BROWN, etc. Then I’m lik...

Reply

Sarah Freeman
21:09 Sep 02, 2020

Yeah, I hate coming up with last names too! Here’s a list of okay ones if you wanna use some: Westblatt West just by itself Leyman Scott Anthony Baker Mitchell McCormick Wood Evans Armstrong Scott That’s all I’ve got for now, but it’s easy to just look up. Use as many of those as you want, but I might use some too. I know Mara was sassy! I never said Carter had to SUCCEED! Fun. Byeee!!!

Reply

21:16 Sep 02, 2020

Really? Well, okay! Ooh, nice, thanks! ‘Westblatt’ is funny. I feel like a teacher, Mr. Westblatt, should marry Ms. Schmidt. What would their ship name be? Schblatt? Westmidt? The first is funnier. SCHBLATT! A MATCH MADE IN NAME-LAND! Yessssss. Bye!

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Kingston
15:25 Sep 02, 2020

Haha, oh my god, this is so funny! I LOVE Margarita's sassy clap backs. Not to mention the way she handles Carter asking her out. Perfect. Plus, I love the ending that her mom isn't actually dead. It's a sweet touch. Keep up the good work and keep writing!!

Reply

15:29 Sep 02, 2020

Thanks! That means so much coming from you, ‘cuz you’re hilarious ;). Hehe, thank youuuu! You too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Akshat .
06:43 Sep 02, 2020

Superbrain moment: You have 10,000 karma points because of Kendra's brother. If he hadn't downvote a lot of your comments, people wouldn't have upvoted them!

Reply

12:04 Sep 02, 2020

Yeah, I’ve thought if that, too! Kendra’s brother took 500+ points, but amazing people gave me thousands. So I kind of have this whole disaster to thank for going down the leaderboard, then up it. 😄😅👌😂

Reply

Akshat .
12:12 Sep 02, 2020

Yeah!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
05:19 Sep 02, 2020

The part about Carter asking her if she's single is hilarious! Here I'll just quote my dad directly: "HAHAHAHAHAHA"

Reply

12:00 Sep 02, 2020

I was actually giggling as I wrote that, because it does NOT sound like something a young teen who loves insulting would say. But he did. Which makes it even more funny. Yup: HAHAHAHAHAHA

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
User_2443 0967
13:31 Mar 05, 2021

2. 1️⃣ 👆on a ⏰ - once upon a time 3. 🏫 4️⃣ 👍 and 😈 - school for the good and the bad did I get 'em? Ps, great story!!

Reply

14:29 Mar 05, 2021

Yuppp, congrats, you got them both right!!! Thank youuu!

Reply

User_2443 0967
16:18 Mar 05, 2021

Nice!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Khushika Shah
22:44 Sep 04, 2020

I loved the 1880's comeback.

Reply

23:39 Sep 04, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:18 Sep 03, 2020

Great job! (As usual!!) Love the cliffie at the end!! :)

Reply

23:51 Sep 03, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jan Querubin
21:48 Sep 03, 2020

This is a very fun story. I was smiling as I read through it. I figured I'll go through your stories more. Oh and since I haven't read the one where this is a prequel, too, I'll read that too! I love this, great job!

Reply

21:58 Sep 03, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
15:31 Sep 03, 2020

Whoooh, there we go, right back in first place for you where you belong after a bit of an upvoting spreeee

Reply

17:04 Sep 03, 2020

Aw, thanks so much, sis! Actually it’s funny because every time I’m about to be in 1st, or IN 1st, Zilla gets a bunch of points...idk, it’s just ironic. But anyways, I’m in 2nd, but THANK YOU! Oh, and I love your new font and pic ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
19:30 Sep 03, 2020

AMANYYYYYYY Idk if you got the other comment, but I just wanna know... Can there be a place called SayedStore is my new story??? A nod to you.... PLEEEASE ANSWER SIIIIIIIS! Okay, bye-bye!

Reply

Amany Sayed
20:27 Sep 03, 2020

Sorry sis, i was at the dentist 😒 Can it beeeee something to do with Amany instead? Idk, Aman'y Armory or smth like that? idek what the store is selling but yeeeeeeeahhhhhhh

Reply

20:33 Sep 03, 2020

Hmm...hmm...hmm... Can I just do SayedStore for now? Idk why but I really love it by now

Reply

Amany Sayed
20:40 Sep 03, 2020

Alr, you ARE the author after all lol I think I wanna make a whole story as a nod to our Reedsy group. Imma go do that. Also, if you're interested, I have a poetry book on Wattpad now soooo yeahhh

Reply

20:47 Sep 03, 2020

Hehe, just wanted your permission because it is about YOU, after all :D Niiiice! Oh, yeah, I read it earlier today!

Reply

Show 0 replies
21:14 Sep 03, 2020

Update: I POSTED THE STORY!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Lilliane Wei
16:20 Sep 02, 2020

Awesome story, Aerin! I love the cliffhanger you ended on but I'm also wondering...Margarita and Rosalee are best friends right? So why did Rosalee desert her in the middle of the playground with Carter? I also I loved all the sassy quipping and I think more could be even better. Names...I'm not really good with names but maybe 'Remilayla Spells out Death' because of the play on words? Or umm nope, I got nothing else, I'm drawing a blank. Sorry, just 'Remilayla Spells out Death'.

Reply

16:54 Sep 02, 2020

Thank you so much! Yeah, a couple people have brought up this...Rosalee and Margarita are best friends, yes, but Rosalee didn’t ‘desert’ Mara. She just knew it was her battle to talk to Carter, and besides, she needed to get to class. So Rosalee just left, knowing this was the kind of thing Mara could, and would like to, handle. Hmmmm, cool idea! But I think I’ll stick with the current name for now ;) Thanks for stopping by!

Reply

Lilliane Wei
16:58 Sep 02, 2020

😁👍🏼

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.