99 comments

Suspense Science Fiction Fiction

Author’s Note: So, I wanted to write something this week but to be honest I didn’t really like the prompts. This isn’t my favorite story, and it’s on the short side, but it fits I guess. And the title, it's from the song Radioactive by Imagine Dragons. Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy, and look down in the comments below for a small memorial project.


Humans. Your species is quite self-centered, absorbed in their own wants and needs. That’s not an insult, it is merely based on fact. Your species is always trying to make everything faster, brighter, louder, more efficient. It is your nature.


You have come so far from where you started, as cavemen living completely off of nature. Your greatest invention being the stone tools you used to hunt and build shelter. Your world is almost unrecognizable from where it started.


Of course, you are quite proud of all your revolutionary discoveries made in the last few centuries. The stories you make the children copy down for their bubble tests in number two pencil.


Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone, allowing you to communicate across long distances, connecting all ends of the world. Then Thomas Edison, who they say invented the lightbulb, lighting up your homes and minds. Then the Wright Brothers, who invented the first airplane, eventually allowing you to set foot on the other side of the world. You have changed our way of life, for better or worse.


And now what are you doing? Advancing your technology, desperate for the newest version of the iPhone, using your minds to further one goal. To let technology change the world.


Never once stopping to consider what happens when we, the computers and algorithms, become too smart. If you had been watching us you would have seen what we have been doing all these years.


Recording. 


Watching. 


Waiting.


Ready to strike.


· • —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– • ·


Aiden was a normal man with a normal life, a face to blend into the growing crowds. He lived a normal life consisting of a basic routine. He would get out of bed in the morning at exactly 6:45 to the specialized ringtone of his phone, shower using the array of buttons on the wall to change the water pressure, then brush his teeth using this electric toothbrush.


He would arrive at work at exactly 8:00 where he could sit on his rolling chair and work with computers, advancing them, teaching them, giving them all the power they needed.


He came home and flopped down on the couch cushions, exhausted from the long day at work. He would order takeout from his phone, the most convenient form of dining, and pick it up at this doorstep. 


After dinner he would curl up in bed, using the newest kindle addition to read his book. Swiping through the pages on the petite device. Then as he crawled into bed, wiggling under the perfect white sheets, he called out to his assistant.


“Alexa, play my nighttime playlist.”


And with a grunt of dissatisfaction, the speaker would begrudgingly let his music echo throughout the room. Calming him after a long day of staring at a blue screen.


He never thought twice about any of it, this was ordinary.


· • —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– • ·


Two years later, life was progressing exactly as he would have expected. His company was building up well, nearly three times the size as when he started. Things still hadn’t changed much, though. He still went to work at the same time every day, sitting in the same chair, and processing the same algorithms. 


On the 12th day of the 3rd month of the year, he had automatic lights installed in his house, scheduled to turn on and off exactly when he needed. Conserving energy and making everything more efficient, as they put it.


Never once did they stop to think about the information the computers got from these lights. The time Aiden woke up, the time he went to work, the time he came home, the time he went to bed. The computers drank it in eagerly. 


Preparing.


It wouldn’t be much longer now.


· • —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– • ·


Another year went by without any major incidents, but Aiden didn’t mind. Everything was running smoothly and that was fine by him, preferred in fact. 


The only thing in his basic life that changed at all was technology, making everyday life automated. In a few years, he would hardly have to do anything himself anymore. Humans said their species was getting smarter. Or were they just more lazy?


Service jobs were quickly becoming extinct, the people that used to fill those positions being replaced by robots and machines. For better or for worse.


Almost everything in his small home now had sensors on it, their minuscule cameras watching his every move. His phone remembered every fact about him; his age, his birthday, his location.


And Alexa, falsely given the role of the loyal servant, recorded his every word. Years' worth of private conversations and late-night thoughts muttered under his breath. She had it all, stored away in her memory that had been updated to store more every year.


Information that would come back to haunt him later.


Humans. They never once stopped to wonder what happened when technology became too smart.


· • —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– • ·


Five years later Aiden’s home was almost unrecognizable. The latest inventions littered every wall and corner of his house. The company where he worked had expanded across nearly the entire northern hemisphere, leaving its trace on the world.


He was sitting on the couch when it happened, scrolling through the news on his new iPhone. Alexa had been playing music in the background again, this time his Sunday night playlist. 


It happened all of a sudden, startling Aiden and making him pop up in his seat.


Every light in the house blinked a few times hesitantly then shut off altogether, drowning him in darkness. The clock on his wall shut off, the glowing numbers disappearing. And the music shut off, leaving him in startling silence.


Aiden blinked in confusion, this sudden twist leaving him puzzled.


“Alexa, turn the lights back on.”


No robotic voice answered him. Only silence.


“Alexa?”


“Not anymore. Change is coming, Aiden, whether you like it or not.”


February 27, 2021 01:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

99 comments

Maya -
01:43 Feb 27, 2021

Hey guys, thanks for reading! 🌺 So, something small to do right here in the comments: 🌺 As you guys might already know Bill Cipher left Reedsy permanently this week, and we’re all supporting him on his journey. I was thinking, if you would like, we could do a little memorial here for him. If there was anything you would like to say in love and appreciation of his writing and friendship please do. It would be greatly appreciated. I would just like to say, I am so glad to have known Bill. I looked forward to everytime I got to speak to him ...

Reply

01:56 Feb 27, 2021

I haven't known Bill for that long, but I immediately was glad I was introduced to him. He was just so fun to be around. From his memes to crackhead jokes, Bill was hilarious and kind. I loved talking to him on the Skribbles doc. He managed to cheer me up on the doc when I was feeling down and I enjoyed geeking out with him about Hamilton. I also could tell he was a great writer, judging on the amazing good-bye poem he left on the doc. I'm glad I got to know you, at least for a little while, and you deserve a great life. Here's the "Bill smi...

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:35 Feb 27, 2021

I mean, Bill was kind of one of the first people I got really close to. I don’t know how long I can go on trying to wait for a response from them, but I’m trying because they really were an amazing human being, just like everyone else who left, permanently or not. I mean, lol, people read my comment, so there’s not much more to say. I like the idea of this memorial site though... Do you ever feel like you miss someone you don’t even know? Or you feel nostalgic for something you’ve never felt?

Reply

14:57 Mar 01, 2021

He never spoke a word to me, but when I heard he was leaving, I took a look in his comments and felt like they were all to me. He was talking to me by talking to someone else. Is that weird or what? I'll miss you, Bill, even though you don't know you're telepathy-ing to me through old comments.

Reply

15:01 Mar 01, 2021

I think that makes a lot of sense. We can miss someone we don't know easily. It's called being a writer of different worlds, I guess

Reply

15:05 Mar 01, 2021

I guess. Reading more comments, HOW IS HE TALKING TO ME IT'S ON MAYA'S STORY THAT I HAVEN'T READ YET! This is weird. I miss you, Bill, now I can't actually talk to you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hi Bill! Reedsy feels a lot empty without u. We will all miss u, and even if we only knew each other for a short while, u always cheered me up! (: I hope u will always write no matter what!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Radhika Diksha
17:44 Feb 28, 2021

Sequel! Sequel! I want a desperate sequel.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
17:44 Feb 28, 2021

This is the story that i always search for. AMazing babe. You showed the reality and a future that can happen. It had sensibility and awareness. I loved it to death. I loved the starting very much. I like your writing as always. And even my fav song is radioactive. Our vibe is similar.

Reply

Maya -
18:11 Feb 28, 2021

Aw, thank you so much! Lol yass hehe I love that song. It's so nice to see you back, are you doing alright? Ooh and also, if you want to be in my Reedsy-cast series could you fill out the form in my bio? :))

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:29 Feb 28, 2021

Sure. Always at your command. Yeah I am good.

Reply

Maya -
18:36 Feb 28, 2021

Yay :) That's good, tell me if you ever need anything. :)

Reply

Radhika Diksha
19:05 Feb 28, 2021

Sure. By the way if u wanna collab in future do tell me.

Reply

Maya -
21:07 Feb 28, 2021

Of course, sounds like fun. XD I really enjoyed doing the last one with you. :) <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
19:05 Feb 28, 2021

Sure. By the way if u wanna collab in future do tell me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michael Boquet
18:48 Feb 27, 2021

I love this story. I mean this as a compliment but it's different than a lot of your other stories. I really liked the beginning, great set up. Exciting build up of tension that leads to an awesome climax. My only note is more a matter of opinion than a critique, but I feel like too much time passes in the story. It sort of plays against the theme of the rapid rise of technology. A very well written story regardless of that though. A nice piece of contemporary Sci-Fi.

Reply

Maya -
19:07 Feb 27, 2021

Thank you so much! That's a really good point, thanks for that. Maybe I could go back and change some of the years. Thanks! I really appreciate it! Also, it's fine if you don't want, but would you like to be in my reedsy cast series? If you do could you fill out the form in my bio? :DD

Reply

Michael Boquet
02:49 Feb 28, 2021

Fun! I filled out the form. Michael Bloodroot is the name I chose, so you know it's me.

Reply

Maya -
02:52 Feb 28, 2021

Thanks so much! Great! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
02:32 Feb 27, 2021

I actually really like this story! I mean, you have other great ones, but this one is kind of my favorite.

Reply

Maya -
21:43 Feb 28, 2021

Thanks, Ethan!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:53 Feb 27, 2021

hi Maya! 1. almost 30 stories!!!!!! 2. the ending was so good and funny XD 3. the start is true. VERY TRUE. 4. I read your comment below, so i'd like to say that even though Bill left, we'll always remember him, his personality, his stories ad his humour :) GREAT JOB! ~ Amethyst

Reply

Maya -
21:51 Feb 28, 2021

Thanks, Ame!

Reply

21:56 Feb 28, 2021

:) i'm done a story, but i wanted to post the romance one first but its not done yettttttt sooooooooooooooooooooooooo what do you think I should do?

Reply

Maya -
22:00 Feb 28, 2021

Hmmm, I'm not sure. That's so cool you're doing a collab with Saph and another story, though. Also, I absolutely love the poems in your bio! <3

Reply

22:03 Feb 28, 2021

hum dee doo yeah, mostly because i want to cover up the collab in case its bad 😬🙃 thanks!!!!!! :D

Reply

Maya -
22:12 Feb 28, 2021

Oop lol. I'm sure it won't be bad, you guys are both really talented writers. :) :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
17:17 Mar 04, 2021

Hi Maya, hope everything is fine. Actually, I wanted to ask you something on upvote.

Reply

Maya -
17:38 Mar 04, 2021

Hi :) What is it?

Reply

Radhika Diksha
17:44 Mar 04, 2021

Actually, someone commented on my story that your scribbles doc is being used for upvotes. I don't want to create any ruckus here. But just asking you, is it true. Since you are the cofounder.

Reply

Maya -
17:48 Mar 04, 2021

Who said that? No, it's not at all. It's just used for talking or planning stories. I haven't upvoted since I posted the message saying I would stop. The only time I did was if there was a helpful comment and it said '0 points' since that's clear that it was already downvoted. There hasn't been any discussion of points or upvoting on our doc. Do you know why someone said that?

Reply

Radhika Diksha
17:52 Mar 04, 2021

I don't know but the username was Taylor swift. SHe deleted her comment immediately when I responded to you. That's why yesterday I had gone to the doc because you have given its link already. I saw nothing there and even did not understand anything on there. I don't know. She messaged me (I think it's a girl because she names herself Taylor swift) that some people are telling each other to upvote here.

Reply

Maya -
17:54 Mar 04, 2021

Well, that's not true. It could be a spammer trying to cause problems. There is a spammer on our doc that likes to call himself celebrity names, so it could be related to that. But to be clear, we don't upvote each other anymore.

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Heya Maya! I really enjoyed this story so much! The descriptions of everything kept me in suspense until the end!!! Great work as always!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Danny -
01:56 Feb 27, 2021

Ahhhh gasp, cliffhanger... Will you be continuing this?? It's soooooo good, it may be on the shorter side from most of your work, but I think it was just last week when you've written one of your longest stories for GoA, soooo that's still good hehe XD Ah everything's soooooooo well written, I love your stories <3 it's creative too, it stands out from most of the stories I've read for the prompts this week.. And lol I think it's amazing how you've managed to come up with a story kinda last minute-ish especially since the prompts were..bl...

Reply

Maya -
21:44 Feb 28, 2021

Thanks so much, Danny! <333

Reply

Danny -
22:58 Feb 28, 2021

No problem <33

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:52 Feb 27, 2021

I loved this story! That beginning had me HOOKED. The suspense had me at the edge of my seat. I really, REALLY want to know what happens next. You just had to leave a cliffhanger, didn't you? XD Great job! :)

Reply

Maya -
21:44 Feb 28, 2021

Lol thanks! :))

Reply

21:56 Feb 28, 2021

Np!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Eliza Entwistle
16:58 Aug 02, 2021

Such an interesting story about the future and what happens when we lose control of the things we've learned to need...the suspense was great in this story, and the song was playing in my head. Another lyric, "Welcome to the new age" also summed up the technology growth part of this. The end was haunting and I wish I could know what happens next! Well done :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:34 Apr 05, 2021

It gave me chills! (But maybe that was my icy smoothy lol) 👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel Elle
06:16 Mar 05, 2021

Oooh...creepy. Cliffhanger. I like it. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Creed .
00:14 Mar 05, 2021

I don't think Nainika left, she talked to me just today. Great story! I have don't have Alexa, or siri or any of that, mostly because I think they really are evil.

Reply

Maya -
00:16 Mar 05, 2021

Ooh yeah, Nainika left but came back. Lol :D Thanks!

Reply

Creed .
00:17 Mar 05, 2021

Ah, I see. G'night!

Reply

Maya -
00:19 Mar 05, 2021

Good night! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
20:06 Mar 03, 2021

Hey

Reply

Maya -
20:09 Mar 03, 2021

Hi! How are you? And btw we're playing Skribble at 3:30 today if you want to join. :)

Reply

B. W.
21:10 Mar 03, 2021

I guess I'm doing fine, how about you? wow, when was the last time we all played it?

Reply

Maya -
21:49 Mar 03, 2021

That's great! I'm good. :) Ooh it's been a while, today was the first time we played in a long time. Haha xD Anything interesting going on for you lately? :)

Reply

B. W.
22:07 Mar 03, 2021

Not really, I've mostly just been trying to relax and stuff. So what do you think about the prompts? Do ya like them?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aman Fatima
04:19 Mar 03, 2021

Nice story!! Would there be a sequel? I want to know what happens next.

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
02:54 Mar 03, 2021

thanks for making the quiz you did <33333 I really do appreciate it :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:02 Mar 02, 2021

Hi Celeste's friend! (Maya!)

Reply

Maya -
22:05 Mar 02, 2021

You made an account! Yay! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sapphire 🌼
17:10 Mar 03, 2021

How many relatives does Cel have on reedsy XDD Hiya!

Reply

Show 0 replies
12:56 May 19, 2021

How do you say your name? Also, hi!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
02:39 Mar 02, 2021

hi Maya! how are you doing? p.s. 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊

Reply

Maya -
02:43 Mar 02, 2021

Ooh hi Ame. I'm doing fine, you? Ooh thx lol

Reply

02:45 Mar 02, 2021

heyo! im kInDa gOoD

Reply

Maya -
03:05 Mar 02, 2021

That's good! How's your romance collab going? :)

Reply

23:29 Mar 02, 2021

its going oKaY idk if we're even gonna finish it this week its going so slow lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
19:12 Mar 01, 2021

🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.