133 comments

Fiction Friendship Sad

Author's Note: This may be bad because I wrote almost all of it at midnight. But it's the quickest I ever finished a story. Anyway, thanks for reading! Have a fantastic day!


Nothing has been the same since you left. 


After I went through the five stages of grief, as they call them, each step blurred together by the tears, I was numb. I didn’t heal, I just got better at hiding the pain. The therapist I talk to online every week has tried to help, telling me I must learn to see the brighter aspects of my life. But I’ve found my own ways to cope. 


I try to keep the memories of you out of my head, despite how impossible that has proven to be. How can I love something so much, when it brings me so much pain? I don’t know. Maybe if you were here you could help me understand.


I want to forget, to spare myself the struggle, but everything I see these days reminds me of you. The embroidered bracelet you gave me that you crafted in summer camp, I still wear it around my wrist. 


Without you, every color seems a little dull. Mixing together into a bleary grey. The cereal I eat for breakfast tastes bland, and the crossword puzzles on the box are no longer so exciting.  


The greek myths I loved to read no longer capture my attention the same way they did when you were here. I resonate with the gods and goddesses in a different way than I used to. Hades, the god of the underworld. Ares, the god of war. Nyx, the goddess of night. Oizys, the goddess of misery, grief, anxiety, and depression.


The paintings I always loved look different than when you were here. Especially the abstract ones. Somehow the shapes find a way to taunt me. Their innocent curves and edges forming haunting scenes of death in my cursed mind. 


I can’t make it through school without you, all it is is one missing assignment after another. When I turn in one late project, five more take its place. Without your help, I’m struggling to keep up.


The first week after you left, when our school was still going to class online, I hid behind the screen. I would keep my face showing, trying to be a perfect student, until thoughts of you started to creep up. I would flip off my camera then, concealing the tears welling up in my eyes.


And when I fall asleep at two o’clock in the morning, my night filled with restless tossing and turning under the blankets, my pillow is soaked in tears. The barriers I’ve put up in my mind to try to keep your ghost out aren’t strong enough. 


I’ve started a new project, though. If I’m lucky, it might give me a head start on moving on. To make it at all possible. 


A quilt. 


I have six squares hand sewed already, and many more to come. Six pictures representing our time together, and all that will come next. They each bring back dreaded memories, but maybe they’ll help me sort through things.


The first square? A plump, juicy lemon, flawlessly sliced. Each wedge of the lemon perfectly lined up. Zig zagging in a circle. 


In honor of all the memories I have with you where we set up a picnic on the bridge over the river near our home. Snacking our bright orange carrot sticks, salty crackers, and cheese as we watched the currents rush by barely a few feet beneath our bare toes.


Holding clear plastic cups filled with lemonade, our favorite refreshing drink. The sticky sugary syrup coating our lips as we grinned, laughing and joking about the events of the past week. The sun reflecting off the ice in our cups, turning the surface a shiny silver color.


I won’t give up that memory.


The second square, a scallop shell. Magnificent rich colors of red, orange, and yellow contrasting against the pearly white. Reminding me of the countless trips we spent on the beach, running through the sand until the tide retreated and the sun set before our eyes.  


The salty ocean waves washing over our feet as we made our way down the shore, bending down to pick up a pebble or seashell every few feet. Doing cartwheels through the wide-open, landing on our heads and coating our hair in sand.


Those evenings were beautiful, just you, me, and the ocean.


The third square, a hardbound book with a frayed golden bookmark sticking out halfway through. Bringing back memories of late nights spent curled up in fleece blankets, heavy stories open on our laps. Flipping through the pages in sync with each other. Journeying off to faraway worlds together.


There is no one else I would want to go on an adventure with, only you.


The fourth square, a bronze penny. Like the ones we would line up on the tracks waiting for the rusty train to come around the corner. Then you and I would find them again the next day, flattened as thin as foil and covered in imprints of the train’s wheels. 


It was always sweet how fascinated you were by that, running your finger over the ridges in the metal. I wish I could do that again with you.


The fifth square had a picture of a mask. Made out of the very material that covered your face for nearly a year, that wasn’t enough to keep you safe. You took all the precautions you were supposed to, it shouldn’t have been you. Why couldn’t it have been someone else? 


I don’t want to remember those long, lonely nights I spent wishing I could see you in the hospital. The spreading pandemic preventing me from visiting you as you lay hooked up to a thousand different machines keeping you breathing.


I wish there was something I could have done, but even I know that once you started coughing you weren’t going to stop.


The sixth square, this one is for me. To tell myself that things will get better eventually. A blooming flower in a world of snow, the only living thing in sight. The frost coasts its petals, turning the bright colors to a lighter pastel.


There’s still life inside of me, still hope. Maybe your memories can be something different now, something that lifts me up instead of breaks me down. 


I miss you, and I always will.


But I will continue to live, for you.


March 07, 2021 05:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

133 comments

Mazie Gray
20:05 Mar 14, 2021

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR...

Reply

Show 0 replies
00:02 Mar 14, 2021

hi!

Reply

Maya -
00:25 Mar 14, 2021

Hey Ame! :)

Reply

00:31 Mar 14, 2021

how are you! I'm bored *even if I have a story to write* :)

Reply

Maya -
00:50 Mar 14, 2021

I'm good! :) Same, lol, I'm working on my math test. What's your new story about? :)

Reply

02:42 Mar 14, 2021

How do you work on a math test? Isn't it a one-time thing? 🤔🤔🤨 It's about ghosts/demons in Ireland in the 1400s (most of the story is in this time period) and then it switches to about present-day (without the virus) and then the MC from the 1400s lives inside the present-day MC So, it's horror/inspirational. The inspirational part is at the end :)

Reply

Maya -
20:43 Mar 14, 2021

Well, it's a lot of questions that take a while and I have a while to do it, so not really. Ooh that sounds really interesting!! Such a creative idea~ Good luck! :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Creed .
18:02 Mar 13, 2021

Sorry for asking again, but I'm super excited for the next of the cast series! When is it gonna be out?

Reply

Maya -
19:55 Mar 13, 2021

Hehe other comment lol xD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
04:04 Mar 13, 2021

Hey can we start working on our collab?

Reply

Show 0 replies
03:38 Mar 13, 2021

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Creed .
00:56 Mar 13, 2021

First, I saw the new Imagine Dragons song! It played on the free music website, Pandora. And... are you going to put Part 4 soon? I'm hopping with excitement waiting for it!

Reply

Maya -
19:55 Mar 13, 2021

Ooh yay!!! Which one do you like better out of the two? :) Ooh hehe, I was going to do it for the old prompts but I had a lot of school stuff, so I'll do it this week. Lol thanks! :)

Reply

Creed .
20:55 Mar 13, 2021

I've only listened to cutthroat, I haven't heard the other one yet. Okie!! Yay!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Felicity Anne
21:09 Mar 12, 2021

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME A...

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:36 Mar 12, 2021

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME A...

Reply

Show 0 replies

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME A...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sapphire 🌼
21:20 Mar 11, 2021

XDDD YOU FOLLOWED JUSTIN?

Reply

Maya -
21:21 Mar 11, 2021

Yeah, cause you were talking to him. Why'd you ask?

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
21:22 Mar 11, 2021

Sorry XD Lol he's a guy from school who made a reedsy account to follow me cause I said i was so close to hitting 200 XD

Reply

Maya -
21:23 Mar 11, 2021

Oh lol xD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
15:33 Mar 11, 2021

🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊 🦊

Reply

Maya -
17:36 Mar 12, 2021

Thanks xD

Reply

Ari Berri
18:17 Mar 12, 2021

=)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

FOX 🦊! Heyaaa! I'm writing a new story(s) and I was wondering if you'd like to be in it! If you want to be in it, please fill the thingy out below: Name: Gender: Sexuality: Normal Clothing: Personality (please describe well): Eye Color: Hair Color: Skin Color: Power(s) (might be included:

Reply

Show 0 replies

Hey hey! I left the skribbl because of savannah. Just fyi

Reply

Maya -
21:40 Mar 08, 2021

Sorry bout that. :(

Reply

Its fine :) did y'all ever figure out who she was?

Reply

Maya -
02:41 Mar 09, 2021

Nope. It's alright, though. She probably won't come back. :)

Reply

Yeah......😖 I wonder... if she's one of the downvoters in disguise. I could just be being dramatic tho lol

Reply

Maya -
02:46 Mar 09, 2021

Ooh dRaMa~ Maybeeeee

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

IM CRYING AKJSKAJDCJ great story!! btw can I be a part of the chatting thing ;)

Reply

also *fox emoji* hufflepuff, district 3, FELLOW ADVOCATE YAYYYYY we are the last of a rare breed lol. Also fellow hunger games, harry potter, and imagine dragons fan yay ;)

Reply

Maya -
20:17 Mar 08, 2021

Ooh yay!! Hehe yass rare~ ;) Thanks for reading my story! And here's the link to our chatting document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jnTO2_RBMf0A45gw38pgM6aXANTqhZIhDvSUHk0_gXo/edit#

Reply

Maya -
20:26 Mar 08, 2021

Lol btw we're also playing online pictionary right now at this link if you want to join: https://skribbl.io/?woQA0Fg4ovmR

Reply

I can't :'( I have restrictions on my computer from the school and my parents *cries*

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:44 Mar 07, 2021

Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful Beautif...

Reply

Maya -
16:36 Mar 08, 2021

Lol thanks :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:48 Mar 07, 2021

I think this is really great for something you wrote at midnight. I mean, all the emotion is there and it kind of lets all the truth out.

Reply

Maya -
16:36 Mar 08, 2021

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
20:05 Mar 17, 2021

Heyyyy

Reply

Maya -
20:07 Mar 17, 2021

Hi~ Happy Saint Patrick's Day! :) How are you? :))

Reply

B. W.
20:16 Mar 17, 2021

I guess I've been doing good recently, what about you?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

We supposed to comment this? 🌼

Reply

Maya -
02:36 Mar 16, 2021

Ehe not that I knew of lol but nice :))

Reply

Maya -
02:45 Mar 16, 2021

<3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
22:51 Mar 15, 2021

heyyyyy...I'm supposed to tell you that Saph isn't mad at you...and she is kinda wondering why you are mad at her...in her own words, "MAYA THINKS IM MAD AT HER AND SHE SAID SHE WAS GONNA LEAVE BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT SHE MEANS BY THAT AND SHES NOT REPLYING I DONT WANT HER TO LEAVE REEDSYYYYYYYYYYY AAAAAAAAAAAAA" so yeah. Your comments have always meant the world to me, and I kinda looked forward to them :) You seem like a great person, and I get that times maybe stressful, and sure, breaks are good, but I also hope that you are not leaving pe...

Reply

Maya -
22:58 Mar 15, 2021

I'm not mad at her, I just said I'm gonna go away for a sec cause I had to do something, I wasn't leaving forever just like 30 min. Thanks, you too, Tiffany. :) Sorry for worrying you guys. e.e

Reply

TJ Squared
23:30 Mar 15, 2021

it's alright :))))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:50 Mar 12, 2021

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME A...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.