698 comments

Sad

Image result for bookstore

The cold air flowed in through the open door of Biblio Phile. Mr. Murton, an old man dusty from age and tomes of days past, peeked over the stack of New Arrivals to see who was letting in "that infernal draft". To his surprise, opposite the top of the stack, stood a young gentleman. Now, you and your ilk have no idea who this person is. None of you have a clue or a guess or a thought or an inkling. But I, yes, I know this man, and Mr. Murton did too.


"Hey, Max! What the devil are you doing here? How's college treating you?" Mr. Murton spoke in a slow voice of sticky molasses, letting the words slop off of his tongue. Well, you get that type of speech only after a Monday of reading Chaucer.


"Ah, is that Mr. Murton? How are you still alive??" Max threw his arm around the shoulders of the old man, patting his back in a delicate manner. To Max, there was nothing different about the store. The shelves seemed to be in order, only a couple of obvious careless placings by customers. The Classics aisle was still strong as ever, boasting all the books one would ever need to read. Murton was conquering the Solzhenitsyn section at the moment*.


"Ah, well, you know what they say. A reader lives a thousand lives and dies but one!" Always full of wisdom.


"I'm... looking for a specific book."


"What's it called?" For a moment, Max was silent and looked at the floor with disdain. "Well, out with it!"


"I need to find my old Lord of the Flies." Murton's face contorted in some foreign expression that I can only describe as nostalgia.


"Really? After all this time? I'm not sure we even still have it." Creaking away from the back of his chair, the old man stretched to reach the ebony cane next to the cash register. Max lent an affectionate glance to the copy of Remembrance of Things Past lying next to his foot. What a great stepstool that book was.


The small specks of fuzzy light that clouded the store felt like fireworks at a welcome home party to Max. The rows of shelves were gigantic punch bowls of knowledge and wonder that were yet to be spooned into cups. If only he'd been around more. If only he'd read at all.


"Right this way!" Mr. Murton stood next to the Island Adventure aisle, scanning the sections for the name GOLDING sticking out from the spine.


"Where are you, my pretty... no, Ballantyne, not you, no no no... Ah, there you are!!" With a sigh of fulfillment, he retrieved it. The pages were crisp and clean-cut, seeming the same as when Max had given the book away so long ago.


"Ah, yes, I remember when I got you..." Mr. Murton's voice trailed off the side of a cliff, leaving the world stranded behind. The adventures of Ralph and Piggy and Simon... his heartstrings felt a little twang when reminiscing over the old memories.


"Max? Where'd you go?" The world around seemed quiet. No sounds echoed through the door, no drafts. Where had that boy gone off to?

***


As Mr. Murton closed up for the night, the sign on the door waved a solemn goodnight. No customers had come today besides that Max, who'd left as soon as he came.


"Night, Moe!" The tabby cat on the corner of Rosemont Road squeaked a reply as it wandered its ways through the streets. That cat was never claimed, no signs of any kind put up around the city. Moe was better off that way, though. He didn't like the warm of the house.


Where was I? Oh yes, Mr. Murton. Our old dodger waved to the incoming cars as he hobbled across the street, throwing wide open the door to his car. An old 1960s Bentley, he could never bear to part with it. He appreciated the car in a way more true and pure than any other thing. It was his own. His way of saying "I might be old, but I can still be free". However, Murton's cane told otherwise.

***


"Max, can you hear me? Max, it's Georgia. Please come back." The strands of wire that hung to the old man's heart were a maze that Georgia Murton made no attempt to make sense of. She hung by her partner's side without caring for a medical solution. Emotions would solve everything, she believed, and so it shall be.

***


When our kooky senior reached the edge of his street, he felt a sharp pain underneath his arm. The jutting edge of a cover was sticking into his flabby underarm, and he reached out to retrieve it.


"Lord of the Flies. Well, I'll be..."

***


Ralph was sitting in the corner of the platform, looking across the triangle of logs to his friends. Jack was sitting in a corner with his choir, laughing about something with Maurice. Simon, well, Simon was simply there, there was no two ways about it.


"Max?" A face looked up at him through the din of childish humor and games. Ralph laughed for a second, trying to catch on to whatever joke he might've missed. In another life, Ralph would've ignored it. This, however, is not that strand of life.


"Max, it's Georgia. Please, if you can hear me, please come back for your wife."

***


Moe was a solitary cat, never caring for the company of others. People bothered him, made him antsy to get away. There was never a way around them, though. Humans were just always there.


The train station was brimming with life at the late hour of night. Voices and intercom mixed into a slushie of sound that seeped through Moe's feline earlobes. He hissed for a second, hoping that the sounds would go away. Well, that's humans for you. Never caring.

***


Georgia Murton was a stout, loyal woman. She stood by her husband in all of his antics, all of his eccentric quirks. There was never an instance where she thought of unfaithful acts. Betraying her husband was simply not in the scope of possibility. We are called here today to commemorate her horrible, painful journey, and to respect the battle she waged on life. May we all grow to be as resilient as she was and to love another as she did Max. She can be with her husband again. Thank you.


*Thanks Zilla heehee


February 16, 2021 23:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

698 comments

Hey Luke! Sorry you couldn't 'sign up' your name for my 100th Reedsy Cast Story, but when I let you know, would you check it out? Thank you!

Reply

. .
00:32 Feb 23, 2021

Ofc!!! OMG YOU'RE ALREADY AT 100???? CONGRATS!!!!!

Reply

Haha, thank youuuuu! :))))) Also, the 100th story is out!

Reply

. .
22:54 Feb 23, 2021

YAYYYYYYYYYYY

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:36 Feb 22, 2021

Ngl, I’m really, really stuck on your emoji puzzle XD

Reply

. .
00:32 Feb 23, 2021

Hahahahahahahahahaha I'll give you a hint: The author is one of the most famous one-hit-wonder novelists...

Reply

Courtney C
00:51 Feb 23, 2021

The Picture of Dorian Gray???

Reply

01:03 Feb 23, 2021

I was ABOUT to say that! It makes so much sense! One of the emojis being a picture and all.

Reply

. .
01:25 Feb 23, 2021

Yerp to both!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
01:25 Feb 23, 2021

Yep!!

Reply

01:39 Feb 23, 2021

:DD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
21:25 Feb 21, 2021

Hey Luke, can you add Bill Cipher to your memorial? He left permanently from all Reedsy things today. To sort out things in his life and figure out where he wants to go. :(: 💐

Reply

Maya -
21:47 Feb 21, 2021

And Radhika. Apparently she left too? I only just saw that. So sad everyone is leaving. :(

Reply

. .
22:38 Feb 21, 2021

Wahhhhhhhhhhh welp I added them!!! I have a couple of things that I'd like to say to Radhika...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:18 Feb 22, 2021

Hey, just you know we re-reading my stories and kinda stumbled in your chat. You can say anything you want. I have always thought of you as my dear friend and the best honest critic. So, blast out your thoughts and spill your thoughts. Actually, I was thinking of deleting my stories so came back for a few sec.

Reply

. .
18:23 Feb 22, 2021

Awwwwwwww well I was going to say that if you think that some of us are still great, its not fair to call the site no longer art but fake emotions. I mean, there are so many great, talented people on here, and you can center around those people like Rhonda, Zilla, the peeps that we know. However, the thing that happened with the Julian Race person was horrible and I feel that you could easily condemn the whole site. I won't try to make you stay because you have a right to leave, but just remember the good things. You have been a great friend :)

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:30 Feb 22, 2021

You have been a great friend too and I miss you a lot. It's about Julian's race at all. Keen to read your stories. I know you must have gotten hurt by my bio but Luke I am telling things after noticing a lot of it. Here some people were so keen on writing, but recently they have turned into mean girls parody. Just gaining sympathy, they are good to some people and behave badly to others. I have seen a lot of people like this recently. Instead of focusing on writing and friendship, they have been trying to prove others wrong. I kinda was tire...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
01:01 Feb 22, 2021

Oh yeah, me too. And btw no offense but you spelled her last name wrong...

Reply

. .
12:07 Feb 22, 2021

Oh oops I was phone typing

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
11:37 Feb 21, 2021

2 new stories would love your feedback on it.

Reply

. .
12:21 Feb 21, 2021

Well I got this new one out and would love your feedback:) I’ll check em out sometime today!! 😝

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Heyooooo! I just saw on someone's bio that your birthdays on the 25th. Mines on the 23rd; Happy Early Birthday!

Reply

. .
19:25 Feb 20, 2021

Thanks!!! You tooooo!!!

Reply

No problem and thank youu! 🥳🥳

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:03 Feb 20, 2021

ViCtoRy Is OuRs! Apparently it’s a challenge where you say it to someone and then have them pass it on? I got it from Amethyst who got it from Luna who got it from Sapphire who got it from Kate who got it from Jade who got it from Emerald. Sorry, this is really random... XD

Reply

. .
16:37 Feb 20, 2021

IVE GOT THIS FIVE TIMESSSSSS

Reply

17:32 Feb 20, 2021

WHOOPS! XD I JUST POSTED IT ON THE FIRST PERSON I CLICKED ON... XD SORRY!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
01:33 Feb 20, 2021

the graveyard book? that's probably wrong but it's the only thing i can think of

Reply

. .
01:37 Feb 20, 2021

Yerp!!!

Reply

Amaya .
01:49 Feb 20, 2021

yesss im at three now!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

LUKE D::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Reply

. .
01:38 Feb 20, 2021

WUT

Reply

Nainika D""""""""""""""""""""""""":

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
20:32 Feb 19, 2021

New thread!

Reply

. .
21:56 Feb 19, 2021

Did you check out the Jane Mount idea?

Reply

Mira Caplan
21:57 Feb 19, 2021

uh...no... I was writing Part 18. sorryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Reply

. .
22:01 Feb 19, 2021

Fineeeeeeee well check it out now

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:32 Feb 19, 2021

Just did. I don't really get it...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
22:32 Feb 19, 2021

Just did. I don't really get it...

Reply

. .
22:44 Feb 19, 2021

You draw the spines of fave books when they’re stacked

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:31 Feb 19, 2021

your story was cool

Reply

. .
19:31 Feb 19, 2021

Thanks!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
16:44 Feb 19, 2021

LUKIE!!! I HAVE OFFICIALLY CREATED A MAGIC SYSTEM FOR THE ALDENVERSE. To whole pagesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss You are not competing??? LE GASP (Me neither)

Reply

. .
16:47 Feb 19, 2021

DIDN'T I TELL YOU THAT ITS MUCH HELPFUL??????? SAME WITH THE ROYAL SYSTEM. YOU NEED TO HAVE ONE. Yerp

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:49 Feb 19, 2021

YES YOU DID!!!!!!! I was just so... AARRRRGGGGG yesterday. Totally unmotivated to write and feeling like it was just like I was copying the magic from KOTLC. BUT KOTLC DOESN'T HAVE EIDETICS OR FROSTFIRES. OR SHIFTERS.

Reply

. .
17:04 Feb 19, 2021

That's great!!! I feel like it would be so awesome if you made an indian-cultural inspired fantasy series because you could make it sooooooo darn good!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
17:08 Feb 19, 2021

YASSSSSSSSSSS!!! That would be like Aru Shah, though.......... and Aru Shah is awesome. AND BRYNNE RAO IS BI. THAT JUST MAKES ME SO HAPPY BECAUSE YEAH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
17:08 Feb 19, 2021

YASSSSSSSSSSS!!! That would be like Aru Shah, though.......... and Aru Shah is awesome. AND BRYNNE RAO IS BI. THAT JUST MAKES ME SO HAPPY BECAUSE YEAH

Reply

Mira Caplan
17:10 Feb 19, 2021

But if I did, even though it would be awesome, it would be too much like Aru Shaaaaaaaaah

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Oh noes Sia left? I had no idea! I haven't heard form her in a while, though... This is a very good story, emotional and well written. I really like the characters. is your puzzle the book of the dead??

Reply

. .
12:57 Feb 19, 2021

Yeah she did... it be so sad.... No it isn't but its a book about a place of death... WE HAVEN'T TALKED IN SO LONG HOW'S LIFE???

Reply

I checked-- her last story is a cliffhanger, I can't believe it. Meh. Totally blocked on everything.

Reply

. .
13:01 Feb 19, 2021

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i knowwwwwww

Reply

I winder if I could do a fanfic of it? it's really good and i want mooooooooore.

Reply

. .
13:12 Feb 19, 2021

Maybe, just make sure to acknowledge her i guess :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
03:39 Feb 19, 2021

WHAT DO YOU MEAN "HERE LIES" LUKE WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN BRO WE HAVEN'T TALKED IN LIKE A YEAR I MISS YOU SO WHAT'S GOIN ON BRUTHA victory is ours (?) I got it from Maya, pass it on lol -Megggggggggggggg

Reply

. .
12:12 Feb 19, 2021

MEGGGGGGGGGGGGG OMG HIIIIII I MADE IT A MEMORIAL FOR THE PEEPS THAT LEFT BUT HI YEAH WE HAVEN'T TALKED LIFE IS GUT

Reply

Megan Sutherland
12:20 Feb 19, 2021

Life is gut? XD what? How've you been???

Reply

. .
12:44 Feb 19, 2021

Gut is good in german XDXD I've been amazing!!!!

Reply

Megan Sutherland
15:55 Feb 19, 2021

You know German?! That's so coooooool

Reply

. .
15:56 Feb 19, 2021

I'm learning!! Some of the words are so similar sounding, like hat is hut.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
01:30 Feb 19, 2021

𝖁𝖎𝕮𝖙𝖔𝕽𝖞 𝕴𝖘 𝕺𝖚𝕽𝖘! 𝕬𝖕𝖕𝖆𝖗𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖑𝖞 𝖎𝖙𝖘 𝖆 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖑𝖑𝖊𝖓𝖌𝖊 𝖜𝖍𝖊𝖗𝖊 𝖞𝖔𝖚 𝖘𝖆𝖞 𝖎𝖙 𝖙𝖔 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖔𝖓𝖊 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖓 𝖍𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒 𝖕𝖆𝖘𝖘 𝖎𝖙 𝖔𝖓. 𝕴 𝖌𝖔𝖙 𝖎𝖙 𝖋𝖗𝖔𝖒 𝖆𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖞𝖘𝖙 𝖜𝖍𝖔 𝖌𝖔𝖙 𝖎𝖙 𝖋𝖗𝖔𝖒 𝖑𝖚𝖓𝖆 𝖜𝖍𝖔 𝖌𝖔𝖙 𝖎𝖙 𝖋𝖗𝖔𝖒 𝖘𝖆𝖕𝖕𝖍𝖎𝖗𝖊 𝖜𝖍𝖔 𝖌𝖔𝖙 𝖎𝖙 𝖋𝖗𝖔𝖒 𝖐𝖆𝖙𝖊 𝖜𝖍𝖔 𝖌𝖔𝖙 𝖎𝖙 𝖋𝖗𝖔𝖒 𝖏𝖆𝖉𝖊 𝖜𝖍𝖔 𝖌𝖔𝖙 𝖎𝖙 𝖋𝖗𝖔𝖒 𝖊𝖒𝖊𝖗𝖆𝖑𝖉

Reply

. .
12:13 Feb 19, 2021

Yeah I've got this twice alreadyyyyyyy

Reply

Maya -
13:40 Feb 19, 2021

Lol sorryyyyyyyy Happy Friday! How's life?

Reply

. .
13:40 Feb 19, 2021

XD Life is greatttttt

Reply

Maya -
15:54 Feb 19, 2021

That's good! :))) Do you like the new prompts?

Reply

. .
15:57 Feb 19, 2021

THEY'RE OUT????

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:08 Feb 19, 2021

hello!

Reply

. .
12:13 Feb 19, 2021

HALLO!!

Reply

21:55 Feb 19, 2021

so ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:54 Feb 19, 2021

i was kinda thinking on doing a collab for the new prompts . . .

Reply

. .
00:02 Feb 20, 2021

Ooh, you wanna do one with me?

Reply

00:10 Feb 20, 2021

YES YOU RESPONDED yeah i wanna do one

Reply

. .
00:25 Feb 20, 2021

Why wouldn’t I?? Ofc we could!! Let’s do a shareable link sometime, mebbe Monday?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

IGHT EASY PUZZLE ummmmm uh- The graveyard book? skeleton bok?

Reply

. .
00:18 Feb 19, 2021

YERP

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jexica Marcell
17:39 Feb 18, 2021

This was.... YEEEEEE SO GOOD!!!! I love the title and it was like really good. no words can describe this story. serisouly. lots of YEE YEE -Cass :)

Reply

Jexica Marcell
17:39 Feb 18, 2021

also, i spelt stuff wrong lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
18:29 Feb 18, 2021

THANK YOU SO MUCH YEEEEEEEEEEEE

Reply

Jexica Marcell
18:58 Feb 18, 2021

hahaha i took both of your tests. I like my eggs scrambled. oh btw if you want and can, could you put me as the queen of yee yee on your bio? thanks!

Reply

. .
19:01 Feb 18, 2021

Oh I decided to throw the queen and king stuff out the window and replace it withhhhhhhhh what is now there!!!!

Reply

Jexica Marcell
19:07 Feb 18, 2021

oh im so smart. i lost my reading glasses so yeah. have u read to kill a mockingbird?

Reply

. .
19:07 Feb 18, 2021

XD No I haven't, but I've heard a lot of great things about it!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Nainika Gupta
14:08 Feb 18, 2021

LUKEEE NEW PUZZLEE!!! AHAHA okokokokoko coffins by Rodman Philbrick??

Reply

. .
14:08 Feb 18, 2021

NERP

Reply

Nainika Gupta
14:09 Feb 18, 2021

dang OOH WAIT OML THE GRAVEYARD BOOK AHAHAH I DIDN'T EVEN SEE THE BOOK EMOJI AHAHA THOUGHT IT WAS A TOMBSTONEEE

Reply

. .
14:09 Feb 18, 2021

XD YERP

Reply

Nainika Gupta
14:10 Feb 18, 2021

YASSSSSS XDDDD anyways..hows it goingggg??

Reply

. .
14:12 Feb 18, 2021

GREAT IM STARTING ULYSSES

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
23:05 Feb 17, 2021

LUKIE. HAVE YOU READ THIS????????????????? I AM OBSESSED. OFFICIALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/81/submissions/55040/

Reply

. .
23:16 Feb 17, 2021

YAS I DID A WHILE AGO IT WAS GREAT

Reply

Mira Caplan
00:37 Feb 18, 2021

I. AM. OBSESSED. MY CHARACTER- YOUR CHARACTER- THE BEST FRIENDSHIP- IT. IS. PERFECTION.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
00:37 Feb 18, 2021

I. AM. OBSESSED. MY CHARACTER- YOUR CHARACTER- THE BEST FRIENDSHIP- IT. IS. PERFECTION.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.