698 comments

Sad

Image result for bookstore

The cold air flowed in through the open door of Biblio Phile. Mr. Murton, an old man dusty from age and tomes of days past, peeked over the stack of New Arrivals to see who was letting in "that infernal draft". To his surprise, opposite the top of the stack, stood a young gentleman. Now, you and your ilk have no idea who this person is. None of you have a clue or a guess or a thought or an inkling. But I, yes, I know this man, and Mr. Murton did too.


"Hey, Max! What the devil are you doing here? How's college treating you?" Mr. Murton spoke in a slow voice of sticky molasses, letting the words slop off of his tongue. Well, you get that type of speech only after a Monday of reading Chaucer.


"Ah, is that Mr. Murton? How are you still alive??" Max threw his arm around the shoulders of the old man, patting his back in a delicate manner. To Max, there was nothing different about the store. The shelves seemed to be in order, only a couple of obvious careless placings by customers. The Classics aisle was still strong as ever, boasting all the books one would ever need to read. Murton was conquering the Solzhenitsyn section at the moment*.


"Ah, well, you know what they say. A reader lives a thousand lives and dies but one!" Always full of wisdom.


"I'm... looking for a specific book."


"What's it called?" For a moment, Max was silent and looked at the floor with disdain. "Well, out with it!"


"I need to find my old Lord of the Flies." Murton's face contorted in some foreign expression that I can only describe as nostalgia.


"Really? After all this time? I'm not sure we even still have it." Creaking away from the back of his chair, the old man stretched to reach the ebony cane next to the cash register. Max lent an affectionate glance to the copy of Remembrance of Things Past lying next to his foot. What a great stepstool that book was.


The small specks of fuzzy light that clouded the store felt like fireworks at a welcome home party to Max. The rows of shelves were gigantic punch bowls of knowledge and wonder that were yet to be spooned into cups. If only he'd been around more. If only he'd read at all.


"Right this way!" Mr. Murton stood next to the Island Adventure aisle, scanning the sections for the name GOLDING sticking out from the spine.


"Where are you, my pretty... no, Ballantyne, not you, no no no... Ah, there you are!!" With a sigh of fulfillment, he retrieved it. The pages were crisp and clean-cut, seeming the same as when Max had given the book away so long ago.


"Ah, yes, I remember when I got you..." Mr. Murton's voice trailed off the side of a cliff, leaving the world stranded behind. The adventures of Ralph and Piggy and Simon... his heartstrings felt a little twang when reminiscing over the old memories.


"Max? Where'd you go?" The world around seemed quiet. No sounds echoed through the door, no drafts. Where had that boy gone off to?

***


As Mr. Murton closed up for the night, the sign on the door waved a solemn goodnight. No customers had come today besides that Max, who'd left as soon as he came.


"Night, Moe!" The tabby cat on the corner of Rosemont Road squeaked a reply as it wandered its ways through the streets. That cat was never claimed, no signs of any kind put up around the city. Moe was better off that way, though. He didn't like the warm of the house.


Where was I? Oh yes, Mr. Murton. Our old dodger waved to the incoming cars as he hobbled across the street, throwing wide open the door to his car. An old 1960s Bentley, he could never bear to part with it. He appreciated the car in a way more true and pure than any other thing. It was his own. His way of saying "I might be old, but I can still be free". However, Murton's cane told otherwise.

***


"Max, can you hear me? Max, it's Georgia. Please come back." The strands of wire that hung to the old man's heart were a maze that Georgia Murton made no attempt to make sense of. She hung by her partner's side without caring for a medical solution. Emotions would solve everything, she believed, and so it shall be.

***


When our kooky senior reached the edge of his street, he felt a sharp pain underneath his arm. The jutting edge of a cover was sticking into his flabby underarm, and he reached out to retrieve it.


"Lord of the Flies. Well, I'll be..."

***


Ralph was sitting in the corner of the platform, looking across the triangle of logs to his friends. Jack was sitting in a corner with his choir, laughing about something with Maurice. Simon, well, Simon was simply there, there was no two ways about it.


"Max?" A face looked up at him through the din of childish humor and games. Ralph laughed for a second, trying to catch on to whatever joke he might've missed. In another life, Ralph would've ignored it. This, however, is not that strand of life.


"Max, it's Georgia. Please, if you can hear me, please come back for your wife."

***


Moe was a solitary cat, never caring for the company of others. People bothered him, made him antsy to get away. There was never a way around them, though. Humans were just always there.


The train station was brimming with life at the late hour of night. Voices and intercom mixed into a slushie of sound that seeped through Moe's feline earlobes. He hissed for a second, hoping that the sounds would go away. Well, that's humans for you. Never caring.

***


Georgia Murton was a stout, loyal woman. She stood by her husband in all of his antics, all of his eccentric quirks. There was never an instance where she thought of unfaithful acts. Betraying her husband was simply not in the scope of possibility. We are called here today to commemorate her horrible, painful journey, and to respect the battle she waged on life. May we all grow to be as resilient as she was and to love another as she did Max. She can be with her husband again. Thank you.


*Thanks Zilla heehee


February 16, 2021 23:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

698 comments

Zilla Babbitt
17:00 Feb 25, 2021

Happy birthday! ✨

Reply

. .
17:08 Feb 25, 2021

Thanks, Zil!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
16:25 Feb 19, 2021

YOU PUT A PIC IN HAHAHHA YASSSSSSSS

Reply

. .
16:25 Feb 19, 2021

YAS I DIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Nainika Gupta
15:00 Feb 23, 2021

hehe wait is your new puzzle wuthering heights?

Reply

. .
15:02 Feb 23, 2021

YOUR PUZZLE IS MIB WITH VALKYRIE AND THOR

Reply

Nainika Gupta
15:05 Feb 23, 2021

yepppp <3

Reply

. .
15:06 Feb 23, 2021

:DDDDD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
15:02 Feb 23, 2021

NIKAAAAAAAAAAAAAA NIKANIKANIKANIKA!!!! No it isn't lol...

Reply

Nainika Gupta
15:05 Feb 23, 2021

hii luke <3 happy early birthday if I happen to miss it :)) WAIT OML its *slaps face* The Picture of Dorian Gray I'm so dumb

Reply

. .
15:06 Feb 23, 2021

Thank youuuuuuu!!!!!! Yerp it is XDXD

Reply

Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
15:26 Feb 21, 2021

Is lord of the flies a good book? Should I read it? I loved the story but I think I got interested in the book more. I am going to google it asap. By the way incredible short story.

Reply

. .
17:46 Feb 21, 2021

Ofc you should!!! Thank you so much!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aisha H.
19:59 Feb 17, 2021

That was an amazing story! Keep up the great work! (Ahem, also, your emoji name reminds me of Lord of the flies...is it Lord of the flies?)

Reply

. .
20:03 Feb 17, 2021

Thanks so much!!! And yes it is!!!

Reply

Aisha H.
20:05 Feb 17, 2021

No problem! Haha, I was right XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aisha H.
20:05 Feb 17, 2021

No problem! Haha, I was right XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aisha H.
20:05 Feb 17, 2021

No problem! Haha, I was right XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
20:36 Feb 25, 2021

(I must've commented on this story three times by now XD) Is today you birthday??? If it is, then happy birthday!! 🎊🎉:)

Reply

. .
21:54 Feb 25, 2021

YES IT IS THANK YOU!!!!

Reply

22:45 Feb 25, 2021

Yw!! :DDDD Are you going to be publishing a story this week?

Reply

. .
13:16 Feb 26, 2021

Maybe, depends on the prompts!

Reply

13:28 Feb 26, 2021

Good to know :)

Reply

. .
15:47 Feb 26, 2021

Am I the only one who saw these AMAZING PROMPTS!!!?!?!?!?!?!??!? I'm writing up a storm here.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
02:03 Feb 25, 2021

Happy birthday to luke, happy birthday to dear luke, happy birthday to you. You are the best, a writer and reader as well. A good friend to all. Stay safe and happy and healthy. Wish you all the best for this year. Tell me how you will celebrate the day.

Reply

. .
12:46 Feb 25, 2021

AwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwWwWwWwWwWwWwWwWwWwWwWwWwWWwWWwWWwWW well I'm going to a used bookstore, and I'm going to get a tonnnnnnnn of books because they have the best selection everrrrrr and then I'm going to celebrate with my fam!!!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
14:21 Feb 25, 2021

great, do share your booklist with me, even I may get inspired by them and buy a few.

Reply

. .
14:32 Feb 25, 2021

Well, I'll get a lot of Proust, I'll certainly be getting some more classics and poetry, maybe some russian lit.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
17:40 Feb 24, 2021

why not a new story by you?

Reply

. .
17:56 Feb 24, 2021

Eh, I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally hate these prompts...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
18:16 Feb 24, 2021

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Reply

. .
18:23 Feb 24, 2021

Yerppppppppppppppppppp

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
00:58 Feb 23, 2021

Omg Lukeeee so many good writers/friends are leavinggggg :( :( :(

Reply

. .
01:39 Feb 23, 2021

I knowwwwwwwwwwwwww we gotta find new ones!!!!!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
12:39 Feb 23, 2021

Yeah..

Reply

. .
12:46 Feb 23, 2021

But we will never forget the amazing friends that we had... like Bill and Radhika... and NAINIKA WAHHHHHHHH

Reply

Kate Reynolds
12:57 Feb 23, 2021

Yes, we won't... Well on a happier note, how are you??

Reply

. .
12:58 Feb 23, 2021

I'm doing great!!! Just finished another book and DAMN IT SLAPPED.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Glory, wings of fire. If you don't know who she is, ask Emmie. Obsessed.

Reply

. .
13:18 Feb 19, 2021

XD I have absolutely no idea

Reply

Dragin queen with venom and camo scales from Wings of Fire. The series is good, but kinda violent.

Reply

. .
13:23 Feb 19, 2021

Ooooh XD That's cool!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
17:11 Feb 19, 2021

SHE IS AWESOME!!! *bows to Queen Glory of the RainWings*

Reply

What about Tsunami?

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:28 Feb 23, 2021

Yas! *bows*

Reply

Show 0 replies
<inactive> .
18:14 Feb 21, 2021

OMG YESSSSS TEAM RAINWINGS!! LEAFWINGS LOWKEY COOL BUT RAINWINGS ARE THE BESTT

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
The Manticore
17:38 Feb 17, 2021

This member of The Manticore listened to The Lord of the Flies while cleaning their room. It was not a great experience. They also listened to Animal Farm while building a small bookshelf, of course, that was a much better book. We liked your quizzes, Luke, and plan to take them later.

Reply

. .
17:55 Feb 17, 2021

Ah, well, to each their own! I thoroughly enjoyed both of them. Thanks so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
04:39 Feb 17, 2021

Hi! I filled out your quizzes but I didn't know you were putting the responses as public for the second one so if you don't mind could you somehow edit my response about my social media? I don't mind if you follow me but I'd rather it not be thrown to the wild. :)

Reply

. .
12:46 Feb 17, 2021

Hiii!!! I made it so that you can edit your responses after submitting!!! Imma go read what you said now!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Phebe Emmanuel
03:20 Aug 31, 2021

Hey Luke, It's Fi. Been a while.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
17:47 Mar 13, 2021

Hey luke can i ask how did you put the picture in this story.

Reply

. .
17:49 Mar 13, 2021

Oh you just copy and paste!! Zilla told me.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
17:52 Mar 13, 2021

I tried but still its not happening. Like tell me how you did it?

Reply

. .
17:53 Mar 13, 2021

You have to doubleclick the picture and hit copy image, then go into edit and paste with command v.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
17:53 Mar 13, 2021

I did the same but still its not happening.

Reply

. .
17:56 Mar 13, 2021

Maybe it makes a difference if... wait try this. Go into edit after copying it and delete a period anywhere in the writing but remember where it is. Then past the picture at the top and then add back the period. It might need you to edit first before it allows you... if not I have no idea.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cookie Carla🍪
16:33 Mar 08, 2021

Heyy Lit!! After reading some comments I realized I may have missed a birthday??? HAPPY LATE B-DAY!!!! Anywho.... this story was really a great story. I feel like I connected with it in a way so that was great!!! Also... NEW STORY OUT!!!! https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/84/submissions/57499/

Reply

. .
16:39 Mar 08, 2021

YERP IT WAS LIKE 2 WEEKS AGO LOLLLLLLL Thank you so much Carla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ooh I check out soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
16:47 Mar 08, 2021

🤭🤭🤭🤭 NO PROB BOB!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:18 Feb 28, 2021

Well.... I hate to say this but, i was very confused I am so sorry, was this based off a book or something cause I did not get it I'm sorry🤧. Anddd HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! I know I'm late, I know! I hope this new year gives you blessing and joy, always make the best of whatever you're doing, I know you will since your Luke! Remember your mental health above everything and its okay to take a break but determination is key! Love, Ugochi~

Reply

. .
13:45 Feb 28, 2021

Yeah, this is supposed to show the erratic movements of a comatose mind... so its a little coocoo. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

18:11 Feb 28, 2021

Ohhh, well thats different! Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
03:38 Feb 27, 2021

new story alert!!!!

Reply

. .
14:13 Feb 27, 2021

OMGGGGGGGG

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:35 Feb 26, 2021

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUKE!! (also congrats on getting a picure into reedsy ahaha)

Reply

. .
13:15 Feb 26, 2021

Thankooooo!!!! Zilla told me how to do it!!! you just copy and paste, apparently!

Reply

05:53 Feb 28, 2021

Oh reallly? Dang okay :) I might try it next time I want to put an image in :)

Reply

. .
13:44 Feb 28, 2021

Ooh yay!!! Tell me when you do!!!

Reply

03:00 Mar 06, 2021

ahaha I might if I finish my story in the next 2 hours before submission, otherwise it'll have to be another time :D

Reply

. .
12:34 Mar 06, 2021

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Avani G
01:48 Feb 26, 2021

Is it your birthday today? If so, happy birthday! If not, sorry for wasting your time (:

Reply

. .
13:15 Feb 26, 2021

Yesterday was!!! Thank you, Avani!!!

Reply

Avani G
17:24 Feb 26, 2021

No problem, Luke!

Reply

. .
17:24 Feb 26, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:24 Feb 26, 2021

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! 🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖

Reply

. .
13:16 Feb 26, 2021

XD THANKOOOOO

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
00:45 Feb 26, 2021

HAPPY BIRTHDAY (for yesterday) LUKE, UR SUCH AN AMAZING WRITER, AND I LOOK UP TO YOUR TALENT! I HOPE U HAD A GOOD DAY, AND ATE SOME DELICIOUS CAKE :D (Should I sing Happy Birthday to u, like u did for me hehe) ~ Jasey

Reply

. .
13:16 Feb 26, 2021

THANKOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I DIDDDDDDD!!!! (you don't have too XD)

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
22:15 Feb 26, 2021

NO PROBLEM, I HOPE U HAD A WONDERFUL DAY :)

Reply

. .
22:15 Feb 26, 2021

THANKOOOOIO

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.