251 comments

Fantasy Fiction

**Hey guys!! I will be officially detaching from Malefice and gifting it to Mira Caplan, as she has a ton of enthusiasm for ways to continue it. Please read all continuations she makes!! This story was just so out of the blue and I was like "How on earth did I come up with this" but I can't wait to keep writing it. John Dee is an actual historical figure, and the Old Testament was written in ancient Hebrew. Enjoy!


February 4th, 1954


A gold suit had appeared on my doorstep three days before. It was satin, which I hated with a vengeance, but I forced myself into the sleeves with a fair share of grunts and curses. The smooth fabric felt like oil on my skin. It was time. I forced my legs to walk out of the home and to the trolley stop, the sickly green that painted the doors reflecting across my vision.


There were fifteen other people wearing gold suits on the trolley, all of them as rigid and uncomfortable as I. When it screeched to a stop, I toppled to the floor, wincing as I wiped the grime off on my pants. The fifteen other passengers bumped into me as they hobbled off the trolley, and I stuck out my tongue behind their backs. Fall on your backs, you snobs.


I was a younger member, only 548 years in age, so I was the puppy they all wanted to kick. Well, only a decade more. The clubhouse had silver edges, with a Victorian arch looming over everyone's head. I hated that arch, the perfect wood and shimmering edges. It was too pretty, almost to the point of disgusting. The entrance, a door that had been hanging around for millennia, made no creaking sounds when I pushed it open. The whole place was timeless. There were already at least a hundred in the Great Hall, taking their seats in the Jury chairs of the Court. Mine was all the way to the left, where barely anyone could see me, but I was happy to have one at all.


"We are called here to commemorate the 100,000th anniversary of the Eternals." The Grand Eternal, the founder of the entire society, sat at the forefront of the room. His chair was adorned with gold silk and jewels from ancient Mesopotamia. I glued my eyes to his face, watched the sagging skin fold as he talked. That would be me one day. Otherwise, I'd burn this whole place to the ground. As Nixon had said to me, "You don't get what you want, you get nothing."


"We will be accepting treasures of days past for our refurbished Vaults, specifically those from medieval France. Also, we will discuss the matter of promotions and demotions." His voice made me want to sleep, the monotone echoing out of his shallow skull.


Members began to shuffle to their various jobs. At the moment, I had the meandering task of filing the ancient documents. Every day, I had to read through the works of thousands of kings, thousands of visionaries. When you live forever, you work forever. That was our motto. Thank goodness you didn't have to.


I took the hall nearest to my chair and made my way to the Archives. The walls of texts and scripts were my own barricade, keeping the bad out and, well, everyone else. On the right was the very first copy of the Old Testament, which I had just finished deciphering. It was hard enough to learn ancient Hebrew, let alone weed through the erosion. I loved holding each text I handled, loved the way it crinkled lightly in my hands. It gave me a warm feeling to know that, despite my long tenure of life, I could go even further.


"How's the Qu'ran going?" John Dee was standing in the doorway, twirling an Elizabethan necklace around his frail thumb. He was one of the oldest, but more importantly, he was one of my favorites.


"Eh, I sent it over to Mikey. I'm not an Arabic person," I said. John pulled up a chair and grabbed my notes on the Bible. They were rushed, granted, but he nodded his approval.


"Jakob, I think you've done great work." I didn't meet his eyes, but I imagined myself smiling. John Dee, the legendary alchemist and immortal, had just praised my work! What a day. I nodded, took a deep breath. There was a draft coming from the side of the room.


"Hey, John? I... well... I was wondering if... since you're pretty famous around here... if you could give me some props?" John's head whipped back at me. I was scared for a second, scared he would indict me. Then his eyes softened, like someone squeezing a pie.


"Well, sure. You know, you've done a great job, so sure." I breathed a sigh of relief the second he exited the room and hugged the Old Testament to my chest. It was a great day to be immortal. What was my next document?


As I flipped through the pages of parchment, I mentally reviewed which languages I could decipher. There was, well, Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Albanian, Cantonese, Sanskrit, Ottoman, Sumerian, Demotic Egyptian, Hieratic, Anglo-Saxon... what else? Oh, that's it! Maori. I picked up a piece of paper that had dropped to the floor, only slightly weathered. It couldn't be any older than 340.


I'd never seen it before. It wasn't even registered with the archives, it seemed. All documents that were to be transcribed had a sticker on them, they said. Well, why didn't this one?


I peered closer, narrowed my eyes as I tried to make out the words. It was Anglo-Saxon, I could see, but it had been written in my lifetime. The curls around the letters weren't faded yet, which made my work much easier. I immediately grabbed a notebook and began transcribing, even if it wasn't a sanctioned document.


My hands scribbling in a frenzy, trying to get the words down on the page. I don't know why I hurried, the words weren't going to die, but I still felt a sense of urgency. As I flew through the sentences, there were no pauses. I read and read and read until there was nothing left. Finally, once the beating of my heart had slowed and my eyes blinked for the first time in minutes, I took a deep breath. Shoving the document into my knapsack, I looked at what had appeared on my notebook.


Hell hath no fury for those whose clock does not run out. We have become all that is evil and cruel in the world. All shall fear us and all shall die before the power of the Eternals. Helheimr.


-John Dee

January 25, 2021 16:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

251 comments

Nainika Gupta
15:37 Jan 27, 2021

New Story! also....you've done that emoji before right?? war and peace??!!!! XD

Reply

. .
15:39 Jan 27, 2021

You already got this but I'm lazyyyyy

Reply

Nainika Gupta
15:39 Jan 27, 2021

ahaha that's what I thought :D:D and lukeeeeeee you can't leave people HANGING!!!

Reply

. .
15:40 Jan 27, 2021

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiine

Reply

Nainika Gupta
15:41 Jan 27, 2021

<3<3 ooh ok uhm zombie shocked man classic or non classic?

Reply

. .
15:42 Jan 27, 2021

I'm not telling you that, because you'll guess it immediately. Hint, I started reading it last night and I CANNOT PUT IT DOWN. SHE IS SUCH A GOOD AUTHOR UGH I READ THE WORD PAROXYSM AND I WAS LIKE YAS.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zilla Babbitt
02:59 Jan 27, 2021

Sword, medal, dove... is that the dove from WWII or WWI, Cherie, who saved a battalion?

Reply

. .
12:44 Jan 27, 2021

XD Nope its a russian classic that you probably didn't care to read all the way through. Two peeps have got it already, so I might change it soon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
06:56 Jan 30, 2021

Love the story, Luke! Sorry I didn't have time to look at this before. I thought this was a little slow but made up for it in its extremely engaging intrigue. The last line left my brain working and I can't wait to read the next one! -lily

Reply

. .
14:56 Jan 30, 2021

Thanks you!!! So kindddddd

Reply

Lilliane Wei
20:31 Jan 30, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lilliane Wei
20:33 Jan 30, 2021

Okay, humor me...have you read my story "Common Smuggling?" I don't remember. Well anyway, because of the prompts this week I'm thinking to give my, uhh, character both a brother and a father. I was wondering if maybe I could use you as the brother? Don't feel pressured to say yes! I don't know if I'll be making this story but I might and I need to know ahead of time. Don't say yes because you feel pressured to, if you don't want to, umm, play the brother, I already have a contingency plan. :D

Reply

. .
21:01 Jan 30, 2021

I just did, and I loved it!!! Of course, you could definitely use me as the brother!!

Reply

Lilliane Wei
21:21 Jan 30, 2021

Thank you, Luke!! So, if it's alright, I'm going to put you as twenty-years-old and, apologies in advance, could you fill out the questions(statements?) below? If you don't want to choose one, you can just tell me and I'll choose randomly. :D Reminder, apologies in advance, I wrote A LOT of stuff: Hair(anything from just a vague description to every detail is fine): Eyes(anything from just a vague description to every detail is fine): Clothing preferences(anything from color preferences to exact outfits is fine): Personality: Fav Color(...

Reply

. .
21:51 Jan 30, 2021

Hair: wavy short brown hair Eyes: Silver with flecks of gold Clothing: multiple torso layers with jeans and good sturdy shoes I can go on adventures with Personality: Zesty and intelligent, adaptable Fav color: silver and gold Power: MENTAL

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Claudia Morgan
10:19 Jan 28, 2021

is your emoji thing scared back to life?

Reply

. .
12:45 Jan 28, 2021

Nope, its a classic :)

Reply

Claudia Morgan
14:17 Jan 28, 2021

ohk

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
03:46 Jan 28, 2021

I loved the story! The character's voice was so distinct. As a Muslim, I'm really glad you spelled Quran with a Q and not a K like most people do. (You can bet I would've gone off on you had you not) The amount you know about history is pretty cool! Keep writing, and I can't wait for part 2!

Reply

. .
12:45 Jan 28, 2021

Thanks you!!! YESH I'M NOT MUSLIM BUT I JUST HAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE THE SPELLING KORAN!!! UGH!!! Awwww thank you, Amany!!!

Reply

Amany Sayed
12:48 Jan 28, 2021

Any time! Yes, I can assure you it's veeeeeeeery wrong. No prob 🤗

Reply

. .
12:49 Jan 28, 2021

XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
12:45 Jan 28, 2021

OMG YAY

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Felicity Anne
02:31 Jan 28, 2021

Heyyyy Luke!!! I just posted a new story!! It's dedicated to you. <3

Reply

. .
12:49 Jan 28, 2021

YOU DID?????

Reply

Felicity Anne
14:27 Jan 28, 2021

:)

Reply

. .
15:04 Jan 28, 2021

NEW STORY

Reply

Felicity Anne
15:13 Jan 28, 2021

Yass I'll read it soooon!!! :DDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Danny -
01:24 Jan 28, 2021

Hellllooooooooo :)) I posted a new storyyyy, you totally dont have to check it out if you dont want to (also, totally unrelated, do you watch twoset violin?)

Reply

. .
12:51 Jan 28, 2021

Of course I will!!! (YAS I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING THEM SINCE 2017 THEY ARE AMAZING)

Reply

Danny -
12:53 Jan 28, 2021

WHATTTT?? WILL YOU BE WATCHING SIMP SIBELIUS??

Reply

. .
12:53 Jan 28, 2021

YAS I ALREADY DIDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Danny -
12:56 Jan 28, 2021

OHHHHH, TIME ZONES????

Reply

. .
12:57 Jan 28, 2021

YEPPPPPPPPPPP

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:32 Jan 27, 2021

I've actually read a story with John dee in it (Alchemist series)... I think yours is pretty similar, except that he's not an immortal magician who summons evil golems... Funny that this story takes place one day before my birthday (except... not 1954). Seems interesting!

Reply

. .
17:43 Jan 27, 2021

I know!! I did read that series, and I thought of him.

Reply

17:52 Jan 27, 2021

My sister loved him; honestly, that series never gets any attention, but it's so good

Reply

. .
17:53 Jan 27, 2021

I knowwww I only read the first but I was like WOW

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:56 Jan 27, 2021

hi luke! BACK WITH GUESSING THE EMOJI PUZZLE lol congrats on 30 stories! :D is the puzzle the walking dead?

Reply

. .
16:57 Jan 27, 2021

XD NOPE ITS NOT THE WALKING DEAD I DON'T THINK THAT'S A BOOk... AW THANKS!!

Reply

16:58 Jan 27, 2021

oop okay its probably a movie the zombie autopsies?

Reply

. .
17:00 Jan 27, 2021

Nope its a boooooooooook but it has some very inaccurate movies based on it

Reply

17:03 Jan 27, 2021

very inaccurate hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm world war z?

Reply

. .
17:04 Jan 27, 2021

Nopeeeeeeee

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Erza Scarlet
15:08 Jan 27, 2021

I read the entire thing- I really didnt get anything but that may be my in class listening to my teacher while reading this- ;-; but ok

Reply

. .
15:10 Jan 27, 2021

You didn't understand?

Reply

Erza Scarlet
13:38 Jan 28, 2021

Eh not really- I’m not into Russian stuff or something

Reply

. .
13:38 Jan 28, 2021

That’s okay!! Thanks for reading tho :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Phebe Emmanuel
05:52 Jan 26, 2021

Luke!!!!! Oh LUKE!!!!!! ANYBODY HOME!!! New Story AHHHHHHHH it's been too long...

Reply

. .
12:44 Jan 26, 2021

OMG YASSSSS IT TOTALLY HAS!!!!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
16:28 Jan 26, 2021

FEEL THE POWER!!!!!!

Reply

. .
16:31 Jan 26, 2021

XDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya W.
03:31 Jan 26, 2021

Hi Luke. As you probably know, I love mythology related stories (in fact, I've written 14 here and am in the process of publishing them in the form of a novella short story cycle, along with 5 more), so naturally, I really enjoyed this story. It reminded me of a book I read years ago that I'm blanking on the name of. All in all, this was really well written and nicely paced - I look forward to the rest in the series. By the way, I saw you like my most recent story. Would you mind commenting? I'd really like suggestions on how to improve!

Reply

. .
12:48 Jan 26, 2021

Thanks you!!! Yes, I am aware of your mythology craze :) That's very kind!! Of course I'll comment!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danny -
00:06 Jan 26, 2021

First of all, how do you keep coming up with these stories? they're amazing! Secondly, you've written it sooo well, the detail's great, and the satin.....I felt it.. It's eww, I had goosebumps all over me. You know that feeling when you rub silk with silk, or scratching your fork against your plate? That's the feeling I had from the satin part...

Reply

. .
00:14 Jan 26, 2021

THANKS YOUUUUUUUU!!!! I really haven't worn any satin, but yeah I get youuuuuuuuuuu I get that feeling when I scratch the skin of a peach lightly with my fingernail.

Reply

Danny -
00:17 Jan 26, 2021

I haven't scratched a peach before but yeah, it's goosebump-y

Reply

. .
00:17 Jan 26, 2021

I knowwwww even thinking about it makes me get goosebumps

Reply

Danny -
00:18 Jan 26, 2021

Ikrrr ewwwwwww

Reply

Danny -
00:19 Jan 26, 2021

I meant the writing is good, the silk scratching thing.. It's eww

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Wow Luke, I love the way your stories just keep on improving...are you like a writer-magician or something?

Reply

. .
22:44 Jan 25, 2021

XDDDDD I wishhhhhhh thank you so much, Haripriya!!!

Reply

Haha, lol. XP Your welcome! :)

Reply

. .
23:57 Jan 25, 2021

XP

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

War and peace is your puzzle, ammi right?

Reply

. .
19:50 Jan 25, 2021

Yep!! How'd you like the story?

Reply

. .
16:31 Jan 26, 2021

Thankoo!! I don't like any of the other prompts, so that suckssss

Reply

. .
19:04 Jan 26, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
17:37 Jan 25, 2021

You. Are. Writer. You. Will. Be. Famous. Writer. You. Are. Famous. Writer. AND I AM NOW THE AUTHOR OF MALEFICE!!!!

Reply

. .
17:58 Jan 25, 2021

XDDDDDDDDDDDDD DANKE AND YES SAME WITH YOU AND YES YOU ARE MALEFICE WRITERRRRRR

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
17:34 Jan 25, 2021

Awesome story!!! The descriptions of the trolley, the Great Hall, and the society were really creative. The way your main character wanted to lead the society and had a hidden desire for power added a lot of drama and suspense. Great job, Luke! I'm looking forward to future parts! :D PS- You didn't tell me you posted. :/

Reply

. .
17:59 Jan 25, 2021

Thanks youuuuuu Maya!!! Omg I didn't tell you I'm so sorryryyyyyryryryry can you help me out and tell some other peeps because I can only click so many times XXD?

Reply

Maya -
18:01 Jan 25, 2021

I'll put a link in my bio. XDDD

Reply

. .
18:01 Jan 25, 2021

XDDDDDDD Thanks youuuuuuu

Reply

Maya -
18:02 Jan 25, 2021

No problem! XDDDDDD

Reply

. .
18:02 Jan 25, 2021

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:07 Jan 25, 2021

Nice Story. Also, I don't know where to put this but I think the 3 emojis mean the Hunger Games. The bird made me think of a Mockingjay and the sword, fighting.

Reply

. .
17:08 Jan 25, 2021

Thank you!! Yeah, you can put your guesses anywhere, but no, it is a Russian classic.

Reply

17:09 Jan 25, 2021

Oh, ok. :P

Reply

. .
17:09 Jan 25, 2021

:D :P

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
17:03 Jan 25, 2021

Awesome story!

Reply

. .
17:03 Jan 25, 2021

Thanks, dude!!

Reply

Ari Berri
17:04 Jan 25, 2021

No problem.

Reply

. .
17:05 Jan 25, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.