341 comments

Adventure Fantasy Teens & Young Adult

The main door to the ship slowly opened with small squeaks and creaks coming out from it that sounded like a dying animal as the girl quickly ran inside. "Axel, something happened."


"What is it, Cora?" She could see dark purple antennas that almost seemed to blend in with some of the walls, pop out from under a small table.


She stared at him for a few seconds before turning back to look outside of the ship, debating on how she should try and tell him. How is he even going to react to this? Oh, gosh...


"Well? spit it out."


Cora had a better idea as she quickly grabbed his hand and spoke, "I think it's better if I just show you what's going on Axel.." He's still not going to take this well either way, is he?


She then proceeded to lead him out of the ship and into an area nearby where they could see electricity sparking out at random. "What the.."


The robot was spinning around in circles as more electricity spat out of it and some of its body parts seemed to be twisting in other directions. Directions that should not be possible, if it had been a human while its neck was doing that, it would have been dead.


"What happened to Reboot 4000 Cora?!"


Reboot 4000 then made it's way over to the two of them while electricity seemed to be spitting out of it more rapidly than before. "GrEeTinGS ComRaDS, ShALL wE cOMmENcE iT?"


"Commence what?" Axel and Cora had asked while in unison with each other.


Reboot 4000 seemed to have a change of mind on the whole 'commencing' thing, as it then just started to spin its own head around which caused more sparks while it bumps into the side of the ship. "lOOK aT tHIS tRiCK!''


"Cora, tell me now. What happened to Reboot?"


She seemed to start looking around like she was trying to find the source of what made her robot friend start acting like that. "That." she then proceeded to point to a large puddle nearby.


"We were talking about that new contest that was going to be happening soon, ya know that one with the rare phoenix feather as the prize?"


Axel thought back for a moment before nodding almost with annoyance and motioned for her to continue. Those damn commercials have been playing non-stop for the past month!


"We had been just discussing some things about the contest because they seemed to be interested in it, though they weren't looking where they were going and then...that happened."


Axel remained silent as he looked at Cora and then back at the malfunctioning Reboot 4000, who was now having a fight with its reflection on the side of the ship. "ThERE cAn oNly bE oNE rEboOt!"


"So, what do we do for it, Axel?"


He still didn't speak to her as he simply just motioned for her to bring Reboot 4000 back into the ship before he himself went back in. "Have fun dealing with that.." he mumbled.


Though she already had one of the best plans to lead her malfunctioning friend back into the ship. She walked closer just a bit before then shouting, "Hey Reboot! there's another version of you in the ship."


There had been a fifty-fifty chance of that failing and Reboot 4000 continuing to mess with the reflection, though luckily she got the other half. "AnOthER? IT's gONnA pAY!" It quickly ran in.


"Woah, that actually worked? I thought that would take longer."


"Yeah, I guess it did."


Axel proceeded to walk over to the robot who was attacking the air and saying, "yOU wAnnA RepLaCE mE? nO wAY!" while also kicking at random.


"Sorry about this Reboot.." Axel carefully opened a large panel on the back of him and pressed a dark purple button followed by a dark blue button. Each button including the ones he never pressed turned red and black with faint beeping noises.


"cOMe On, ArE yOU sCa..." Its voice stopped suddenly as it's once colorful eyes turned dim. It would have fallen over and probably got dented if Axel hadn't quickly grabbed him and set it on a small couch.


Cora sighed as she decided to sit next to her deactivated robot friend and she proceeded to ask, "Don't we have something to fix it with? why don't you take it to the little work-shop in the ship?"


"We can't. We do have some parts but it's not for this, I was going to make it water-proof but I didn't have the time. So I don't have anything for it, we have to go to one of the markets."


Axel then began to press a few buttons and then a holographic map appeared in front of the two, it seemed that it had all of the markets on there. "Since when was that stuff here??"


"No time for those questions, it seems like there is a market only a couple of minutes from here."


He sat down in what he liked to call the 'Axel seat' and then put the ship in auto-pilot as it began to take off. Why don't either of us get seats like that? It's kinda weird though that he named it...


"So, maybe after we get Reboot fixed we could go see that contest I mentioned earlier? It seems really interesting." Cora attempted to fill the awkward silence.


"Contests are stupid and it'll probably take a while to go and fix Reboot 4000 anyway." He rolled his eyes.


It seemed like the market had only been five or ten minutes away from where they had been earlier, that was the easiest one to get to though. Cora had checked and the others were almost an hour or two away.


Axel stood up from his seat and then cleared his throat before then speaking, "I know someone here who knows all about Reboot 4000, I'm sure that they'll be able to fix it."


Cora nodded and was about to pick up and drag the shut-off Reboot 4000 when she stopped in shock. She then awkwardly coughed and then said "Um...Axel?"


"Yes, what is it, Cora?"


"Reboot is gone!"

November 08, 2020 01:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

341 comments

Hello B! I just want to quickly say that I think you did a great job when coming up with a plot for this intriguing/hard prompt. For me, this was a pretty hard prompt in terms of coming up with a story. But, I think you really hit the nail on the head! Great job and I look forward to reading more of your stories! :)

Reply

B. W.
03:21 Nov 08, 2020

thanks, im glad ya enjoyed this story ^^ where do ya think Reboot 4000 went off to and maybe a reason why? and what do ya think about it being in the same thing as the previous story and all that?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
01:20 Nov 08, 2020

1. Vayd actually helped me pick out the title for this story, so if he ends up reading this one, thanks ^^ 2. This story is actually related and in the same world as my previous story titled "Saving a friend" as you could probably tell by the mention of the contest from it. 3. Where do you think Reboot 4000 ran off to and how?

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:37 Nov 10, 2020

Nice work. :) Much smoother than your previous work. I would, however, watch out for your sentence structure. You use a lot of phrases like "while just then, Reboot..." With these, simplicity is the key. You can cut all three preceding words.

Reply

B. W.
17:33 Nov 10, 2020

Thanks, im glad ya liked it ^^ did ya maybe have a favorite character or part in the story? also, where do ya think Reboot went at the end?

Reply

22:55 Nov 10, 2020

I didn't have a fave character or part--got no clue where reboot went!

Reply

B. W.
22:59 Nov 10, 2020

do ya want there to maybe be a part 2 or something?

Reply

23:06 Nov 10, 2020

Well, the story is unfinished, but do whatever you want!

Reply

B. W.
23:21 Nov 10, 2020

could ya maybe help me with something?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
21:53 Nov 08, 2020

Hi! I just want to say that this was really funny. I was a little confused at times, but I really did enjoy the plot.

Reply

B. W.
21:56 Nov 08, 2020

Hm? what confused ya? Maybe i could clear some of the stuff up, and thanks I'm glad ya at least liked it ^^

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:04 Nov 08, 2020

It was a bit confusing at the beginning, how you jumped straight into it without any backstory, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just something I noticed. Maybe you could include little pieces of backstory throughout?

Reply

B. W.
22:20 Nov 08, 2020

what kind of backstory in it would ya want though? Like Cora's backstory or something else?

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:36 Nov 08, 2020

Maybe, yeah. Like how the characters got there. But overall, I loved it!

Reply

B. W.
22:40 Nov 08, 2020

theres probably gonna be a part 2 or something

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
16:03 Nov 08, 2020

First of all, I just wanted to say this made me laugh MULTIPLE times and I really enjoyed it. Second of all, you've gotten so much better with your editing and stuff! I don't think there was ONE capitalization error or anything like that! You should be proud B. Great story, I hope there's a part 2!

Reply

B. W.
19:18 Nov 08, 2020

Thanks, im really glad that ya liked the story ^^ let me take a guess, were the parts that made ya laugh some of reboots parts?

Reply

Amany Sayed
23:01 Nov 08, 2020

Welcome! Yeeees hehe. I mean "GrEeTinGS ComRaDS, ShALL wE cOMmENcE iT?" so funny xD

Reply

B. W.
23:02 Nov 08, 2020

do ya possibly have an idea on where Reboot could have ran off to at the end of the story? I'm curious to see what ya think ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Authoring Studio
07:39 Nov 10, 2020

This. Story. Hit. Me. Like. A. Speeding. Truck. It was really great, B! 15/10 rating. I laughed like mad especially at this line- " It would have fallen over and probably got dented if Axel hadn't quickly grabbed him and set him on a small couch."

Reply

B. W.
07:55 Nov 10, 2020

Thanks, im glad ya liked it ^^ though Reboot is just a robot so it doesn't have a gender, all of the 'he's' were on accident and I just went to fix them. Did ya maybe have a favorite part in the story or character or was it the line ya said? do ya also got any ideas on where Reboot could have gone at the end?

Reply

Authoring Studio
10:31 Nov 10, 2020

Yeah, the line was my fav part :) I loved both the characters, and as on where our beloved Reboot disappeared... I dunno, he went down to the hold of their spaceship?

Reply

B. W.
17:24 Nov 10, 2020

do ya want there to be another part to this or something?

Reply

Authoring Studio
02:12 Nov 11, 2020

Oh, I'd love a second part- really curious about where he ran off to😀

Reply

B. W.
02:31 Nov 11, 2020

So, Reboot's your favorite character in it then maybe?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Liza Anne
01:24 Nov 09, 2020

This is significantly better grammatically! Great job! It was a really cute story, Reboot 4000 was a really fun touch.

Reply

B. W.
01:30 Nov 09, 2020

Thanks, im glad ya liked this story. Did ya maybe have a favorite part in the story? or at least like a favorite thing that Reboot 4000 did during the story and speaking of him, do ya have a guess on where he went at the end?

Reply

Liza Anne
02:01 Nov 09, 2020

My favorite part was the end when they realized that Reboot 4000 was gone. The pacing could have been slowed down to enhance the suspense, but it was a really fun way to end it. I think he went to participate in the contest!

Reply

B. W.
02:04 Nov 09, 2020

Hm, ya got any other ideas for where he could have gone? The contest thing may or may not be true though :) also, I'm just sorta asking you random questions cuz I wanna see what ya think, though why do ya think Cora is with the two and what Axel would fully look like because the things so far is that he's kind of purple and has antennas

Reply

Liza Anne
02:18 Nov 09, 2020

Maybe he went to the marketplace to try to fix himself! I think Cora has a mission she's trying to accomplish and Axel and Reboot 4000 are the friends she's made along the way. I'm imaging Axel as being 2 feet tall, with blue spots that almost match the purple that gives him a camouflage effect, and two arms and legs that have three fingers each with claws.

Reply

B. W.
02:26 Nov 09, 2020

Reboot technically doesn't have a gender since it's a robot, that's why I've been referring to reboot as an It. Actually, your spot on with Axel's description except that he's not that small, he's about 6 feet tall while Cora is an average height of 5 feet, though could I maybe tell ya about something with Cora?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:43 Nov 08, 2020

Great job! It is cool how you could (as you do a lot) come up with a story so quickly. I really like this one it was full of description and the simile at the beginning really caught my attention. Is this going to just end as a cliffhanger? Or is there going to be multiple parts?

Reply

B. W.
19:18 Nov 08, 2020

eh, there might be some other parts but I'm not really sure. Though I'm glad ya liked the story ^^ where do ya think Reboot could have gone?

Reply

00:01 Nov 09, 2020

Honestly, I have no idea. Someone must have taken him.

Reply

B. W.
00:21 Nov 09, 2020

Hm, also do ya know that prompt with the fake romance thing to win the show?

Reply

00:30 Nov 09, 2020

Yep!

Reply

B. W.
01:13 Nov 09, 2020

I could use some help with that because I wanna try and do that prompt

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wolfy 🐺
12:47 Nov 08, 2020

I love this story- the plot and the characters are excellent! Also, reboot is just about the funniest thing ever! :P

Reply

B. W.
19:10 Nov 08, 2020

thanks, im glad ya liked it ^^ where do ya think Reboot could have gone at the end?

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
21:54 Nov 08, 2020

He could have been stolen by aliens or snuck out of the ship in order to find the Reboot that Cora made up in order to get him onto the ship, the one he thinks still exists and doesn't want to be replaced by.

Reply

B. W.
21:57 Nov 08, 2020

Hm, any other ideas for where he could have gone?

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
13:31 Nov 09, 2020

He could have wandered out into space and is now completely lost.

Reply

B. W.
13:44 Nov 09, 2020

anything else?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:39 Jan 31, 2021

Cliffhanger! Nice job, B.! -Brooke

Reply

B. W.
16:23 Jan 31, 2021

thanks ^^ did you have a favorite part?

Reply

16:29 Jan 31, 2021

My pleasure! ^^ Not really; I loved it all!

Reply

B. W.
21:25 Jan 31, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philip Clayberg
01:22 Nov 21, 2020

Great story. Your story is like a fun mixture of Eddie, the ship's computer on the Heart of Gold in the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series, mixed with the robot stories in Isaac Asimov's "I, Robot", mixed with Number 5 in the movie "Short Circuit". (Btw, this is meant as a compliment, not a criticism.) I do hope you're going to write sequels to it (or you already have).

Reply

B. W.
02:06 Nov 21, 2020

Eh? I don't think ive ever heard of those, but still thank you ^^ I haven't made a sequel yet and with these prompts i still cant, though ill make one soon.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
03:05 Nov 21, 2020

Sorry if I confused you. I keep forgetting that I'm probably in the minority on this website, since I'm over the age of 50 (53 to be exact). I read the first "Hitchhiker's Guide" book when it came out in 1979 (I was 12 then). My oldest brother was a fan of science fiction (anything from the 1910s to the 1960s or so), which is how I found out about Asimov (I would "borrow" books from him and sometimes forgot to give them back; I still haven't given him back the Mars series by Edgar Rice Burroughs, and it's been at least 40 years since I ...

Reply

B. W.
03:10 Nov 21, 2020

The only way that i could probably continue this series with this weeks prompts is if I do a prequel and maybe if it was something like a backstory for one of them, but even then they don't seem that good for one and the prompt I like the most is the remarried parent one, but I don't think I could do that one for this series.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
03:39 Nov 21, 2020

I think I waited two or three weeks to add the fifth sequel story to "Breaking with Tradition". Last week I almost thought I had to wait yet another week and then discovered that, waiting right there in front of me, was a prompt I could put to use after all. I'm not quite sure what the sequel to it will be, but I figure that eventually a story prompt will come along to inspire me. I just hope neither of us will have to wait two or three weeks (or longer) for a prompt (or two) to continue our respective stories. A prequel isn't a bad id...

Reply

B. W.
05:14 Nov 21, 2020

Actually with the characters in this, what did you ever think about Reboot and where do you think it could have gone at the end?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Very good! I can't wait to know what happened to Reboot 4000

Reply

B. W.
19:50 Nov 17, 2020

do you maybe have any guesses?

Reply

well maybe it got lost or something and Cora and Axel need to find it.

Reply

B. W.
22:20 Nov 17, 2020

maybe

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
23:53 Nov 16, 2020

B I really loved this story! This prompt was really hard for me, i couldn't really think of anything substantial, but you used it perfectly! I love the ending, maybe a part 2? Are you going to do that? This made me laugh a lot, which I loved. Your grammar is getting really good, and again, this made me laugh a lot.

Reply

B. W.
00:10 Nov 17, 2020

Yeah, i think ill do a part 2 or something at some point ^^ I actually liked this enough that I'm gonna make it be a novel. what did you think about Reboot and where it could have gone at the end?

Reply

Amaya .
00:21 Nov 17, 2020

OOH that's so cool, to make it a novel! I'm starting a novella, so do you have any advice for me? Having written so many yourself?

Reply

B. W.
00:27 Nov 17, 2020

I've only written one Novella and finished it so far though I'm wanting to write like 6 or so, what kind of advice do ya want?

Reply

Amaya .
00:30 Nov 17, 2020

idk just motivation, how to plot, that sort of stuff. whatever u can give me

Reply

B. W.
00:32 Nov 17, 2020

well, what do you have for the story so far and all that?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Anii ✨
22:27 Nov 10, 2020

Woah! This is really good, B! I love the cliffhanger ending, and Reboot 4000 is such a funny character! You did an amazing job with your descriptions, and this was overall a really good story! One thing I really liked was the strange capitalization in Reboot's speech. I also liked how you described the color of the room oh-so-subtly by saying it matched Cora's purple antennae. One thing I thought you could fix was to shorten this phrase: "while in unison with each other." I think you could have just written: "in unison." That was the ...

Reply

B. W.
22:41 Nov 10, 2020

Huh? "matched Cora's purple antennae" do you mean Axel? He's the alien and not Cora, shes just a human. Though thanks and I'm glad ya ended up liking the story ^^ where do ya think Reboot could have gone at the end of the story?

Reply

Anii ✨
17:08 Nov 11, 2020

Whoops. Sorry. I guess I read that part wrong. Also, I'm guessing Reeboot either went off to the competition or he got lost? I don't really know. :)

Reply

B. W.
17:10 Nov 11, 2020

maybe :)

Reply

Anii ✨
19:06 Nov 15, 2020

Ooh!

Reply

B. W.
19:32 Nov 15, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kaitlyn James
01:08 Nov 10, 2020

Great job on the story! My favorite part was the ending. Very interesting. There is gonna be a next part right?

Reply

B. W.
01:27 Nov 10, 2020

Eventually, this is also going to be a novel ^^

Reply

Kaitlyn James
18:42 Nov 10, 2020

That will be cool

Reply

B. W.
18:48 Nov 10, 2020

it will?

Reply

Kaitlyn James
19:19 Nov 10, 2020

Yeah I really liked this story I think it will make a great novel! I am in class right now so I have to go! Bye!

Reply

B. W.
19:36 Nov 10, 2020

talk to ya later

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Felicity Anne
21:05 Nov 09, 2020

Oh my goodness, B!!! This is so good! I just wanted to say, your grammar is so good! I did not catch any mistakes! The title is amazing and very intriguing. Overall, I think this story is absolutely fantastic! Don't forget to keep writing and have a wonderful rest of your day! - Felicity

Reply

B. W.
21:09 Nov 09, 2020

Thank you so much, im really glad that you liked this story ^^ did ya maybe have a favorite part in it and where do ya think Reboot could have gone at the end of the story?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mark D
04:39 Nov 09, 2020

Interesting little twist there at the end. It's a cute little story. Couple minor things along the way that could be cleaned up from a technical standpoint, but otherwise a pretty good story. Well done.

Reply

B. W.
04:46 Nov 09, 2020

Thank you, im glad ya liked the story ^^ did ya maybe have a favorite part or character?

Reply

Mark D
16:16 Nov 09, 2020

Honestly, I wanted to know more about Reboot. Seemed like he was an integral part of their team. Maybe giving him a more catchy name. You think of famous robots and you have C-3PO, R2D2, BB8, HAL, Gort, Data, Bishop. I feel like Reboot has quite a role in the story and I want to know more about him.

Reply

B. W.
17:32 Nov 09, 2020

I can't go and change it name though, even if its in the story I find it a bit strange that they'd just suddenly want to change its name.

Reply

Mark D
22:17 Nov 09, 2020

No no. I'm not suggesting changing it. There's clearly more to this story than just this one scene, I was just thinking of a more personable name for him and congratulating you on making him already a likeable character based on the other characters

Reply

B. W.
22:28 Nov 09, 2020

I was sort of thinking of calling it RXX but I just decided to go with Reboot instead because I liked it better. Do ya maybe have an idea on where it could have gone at the end of the story?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Ulrich
02:01 Nov 09, 2020

Awesome story, B! My favorite part was the end when they discover Reboot is gone.

Reply

B. W.
02:02 Nov 09, 2020

Thanks, im glad ya liked it Katie ^^ do ya maybe have an idea on where Reboot could have gone at the end?

Reply

Kate Ulrich
12:54 Nov 09, 2020

Maybe to the contest? I'm not sure.

Reply

B. W.
13:44 Nov 09, 2020

whats something you want to happen in the next part?

Reply

Kate Ulrich
14:21 Nov 09, 2020

I guess I want to know more about the contest. Is it going to be a crossover story or are the two stories just existing in the same universe?

Reply

B. W.
17:28 Nov 09, 2020

the two stories just exist in the same universe but all the characters might meet

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
13:40 Nov 08, 2020

Hey, B.W.! You asked me to come and read, so here I am. Finally. XD So, I noticed that you're doing a lot better with not running on with your paragraphs. You used more indents and smaller, proportions I guess I would say. Overall, it runs much smoother. Now, I do have two things to critique on. One- you have a spot in here where you use like three 'and's in a row. Try to put commas in here and there- again, it's all about making the story flow. Two- add some sizzle to your steak! You have a great story here, not gonna lie, but it's kin...

Reply

B. W.
19:15 Nov 08, 2020

Thanks, im glad ya liked it ^^ well i can answer the puddle thing, even though it was never really stated it had kind of rained a little while before the story fully took place and Reboot hadn't been looking where it was going and stepped in the puddle.

Reply

Megan Sutherland
19:16 Nov 08, 2020

Okay! Thanks for clearing that up w me.

Reply

B. W.
19:25 Nov 08, 2020

do ya maybe got any other questions about it?

Reply

Megan Sutherland
19:53 Nov 08, 2020

no ma'am

Reply

B. W.
19:54 Nov 08, 2020

Hm, what do ya think about Reboot 4000 and do ya think ya have an idea on where he could have gone at the end of the story?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
06:08 Nov 08, 2020

Great job! And no gra,mar mistakes this time!

Reply

B. W.
06:18 Nov 08, 2020

thanks, im glad ya liked it :) did ya maybe have a favorite part or anything like that? also, where do ya think Reboot could have ran off to?

Reply

Sia S
09:48 Nov 08, 2020

:D! Hmm, not as such, and I guess Reboot might have ran away and went into hiding?

Reply

B. W.
19:09 Nov 08, 2020

any other ideas?

Reply

Sia S
04:29 Nov 09, 2020

Hmmm, no

Reply

B. W.
04:36 Nov 09, 2020

would ya want there to be a second part or something?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.