The internet has democratized the publishing world in a big way. Now, anyone can publish a book without the “permission” of a traditional press. But with the freedom of self-publishing comes a fresh set of challenges to consider.
In this 10-part course, you will discover the realities of both traditional and self-publishing. Upon 'graduation,' you will leave with an overall understanding of the options available to authors in today's world. Whether you're a non-fiction writer seeking a book deal with the 'Big Five,' or an aspiring genre novelist with no idea where to start, this course is for you.
What you'll learn in this course:
- Popular misconceptions about traditional publishing
- Why traditional publishing will always be the best option for some authors
- Why many published authors prefer to self-publish
- All about royalties and advances
- How to successfully leverage your self-published book into a publishing deal
- How to avoid scams targeted at self-publishing authors
Brought to you by:
Martin is a writer, content marketing specialist, and part of the team at Reedsy, a marketplace that connects authors with brilliant editorial, design, and marketing talent. When he's not chained to his desk, Martin enjoys reading historical fiction and surrounding himself with cookbooks.