4 comments

Fiction

A writer is cleaning out her basement and is sorting through some of her old boxes. She comes across a few boxes labeled “College Items” and opens one of the boxes. Underneath a few folders, she comes across an item in a plastic cover. She does not recognize it at first, but once she removes the cover, she sees it is the typewriter she used in college. She is not sure what to do with it. It is too old to sell, but she also knows that it has some value, and should not be thrown away.


Underneath the typewriter, is a package of typing paper and typing supplies. She decides to check and see whether or not the typewriter still works. She places it on a small table located in the basement and plugs the cord into a nearby outlet. She pulls up a chair, takes a piece of typing paper out of the package and carefully winds it around the roller in the typewriter, straightens and adjusts it before placing the thin metal cartridge on top to secure the paper in place. She turns on the typewriter and types a few sentences. She can’t believe that it still works.


She is suddenly reminded of what it is like to type at a typewriter, and its unique benefits. She likes that you have to push the “Return” key at the end of the line to move to the line below. She likes hearing the noise of the keys as they stamp letters onto the page and the sound the typewriter makes as it moves to the next line.

 

She also remembers that it is best not to type too quickly in case you make a mistake. It is easier to make corrections using the white correction tape ribbon by hitting the backspace key rather than using corrector fluid or an eraser. 


The drawbacks do not seem like much of an obstacle and she decides to write her next assignment using the typewriter. It makes her feel more like a writer and she looks forward to writing her next story. She makes a mental note that she will not be able to hit the “Send” key to send it in, and will need to make sure she allows enough time to mail it or fax it to the recipient.


For the story, she first writes it out on a pad of paper. She then types up the story using the typewriter. She makes sure to type slowing and avoid making a lot of mistakes. After she finishes it, she realizes that she did not take leave any space to allow for visual images. She knows they will not accept the article without them. She takes out a couple of pieces of typing paper and draws a box where they should be located on each piece of paper using a ruler. She retypes the story, leaving space around the boxes so she can attach the pictures.


She finishes typing the story, adds the pictures, and mails it in. After a few days, the editor calls to let her know that they received the story, and asks her if she can send an electronic copy so they can make a few edits. The writer explains that she typed the story using her old typewriter. The editor says that they can have someone retype the short story, but asks her to send any images she wants included as an electronic copy.


For the next assignment, she once again uses the typewriter to write the story, affixes the pictures to it, mails it in, and sends a copy of the images to include via e-mail. The typewriter becomes a lucky charm.


By now, she has become accustomed to using the typewriter, but it has some drawbacks compared to using a computer when it comes to editing and sending documents. For longer assignments, she finds it is better to type them on a computer because they tend to require a few drafts before they are finalized. 


She has also moved the typewriter up from the basement and keeps it on her desk. One day a friend visits and brings along her children. They notice the typewriter and ask her about it. She shows them how to use it and they are immediately drawn to it. 


They like how you have to roll a piece of paper onto it, straighten and align it, before replacing the thin metal cartridge on top to hold it in place. They take turns hitting the “X” key until it reaches the end of the line, wait to hear the sound of the “ping”, before they hit the “Return” key to advance the typewriter to the next line. They caution each other not to type too fast so the keys don’t jam and experiment with the white correction tape.


A few weeks later, her friend drops the children off for a few hours. They are going to stay with the writer for the day while the friend goes to a few appointments she has scheduled. The children once again ask if they can play with the typewriter. They spend the day playing, “News Reporter”. They create three roles and rotate them. There is a writer, editor, and newscaster. 


The writer writes the story, the editor then reads the story and suggests some edits. The writer then re-types the story, and the editor hands the story to the newscaster. The newscaster reads the story holding a spatula they use for a microphone. 


While the writer and editor are working on the story, the newscaster dresses up using some old dresses and accessories the writer has stored in the basement. It becomes one of their favorite games.


Meanwhile, the writer continues to use the typewriter to write some of her stories, and is using it to write a book. She likes that it forces her to think about what she is going to write in advance. She has learned it is better to write things out first on a piece of paper. She has also learned to appreciate all the little things and efficiency that a computer provides. 


The typewriter continues to become her lucky charm as she figures it is because it forces her to spend more time writing the story and makes her a better editor to avoid typos, grammar mistakes, and re-types. 


A couple of months later, when her friend has a birthday party for one of her children, the writer gives her a typewriter as a birthday present and they all play “News Reporter”. They add a few more roles so everyone can play including another writer and newscaster, cameraman, and reviewer.   


The typewriter that was at first unrecognizable has found a new beginning, and seems to have a place as a both a work tool and fun activity for both adults and children. 


The writer's latest discovery as she is cleaning out the basement is finding a play cash register and makes a note that she should bring it to her friend’s children the next time she visits. She knows they will most likely find a good use for it. 

February 09, 2024 00:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Hannah Lynn
02:43 Feb 16, 2024

I enjoyed your story! Brought back some nice memories of typing stories once upon a time on my typewriter. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tom Skye
21:43 Feb 13, 2024

This had a very unique voice. I think the absence of names contributed to this. It brought focus to the importance of a machine and how it plays a role in a human world. It was clever because it elevated the typewriter to be as much of a character is any people involved. Really interesting piece. Thanks for sharing

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
10:22 Feb 12, 2024

Beautiful story, Stacey. Yes, sometimes, the reason we get attached to objects is the memories associated with them. Great work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Helen A Smith
16:13 Feb 11, 2024

A lovely story and it makes me wonder how writers managed in the days of pen and ink. How much more accurate would they needed to have been. A friend of mine enjoys writing and sometimes uses a typewriter. He’s in his early 20’s and loves all things retro. Of course, children would love using it too as you demonstrated in your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.