It's that time of year again! That time for Valentine's Day… writing prompts!
With love in the air and cupids on the move, you might also be looking to flex those (heart) muscles and get some romantic writing down on paper. If that's the case, you'll need the right Valentine's Day writing prompts to get the ideas flowing for everyone's favorite romantic holiday. Whether you're just looking to write a swoon-inducing card or a sweet poem for your beloved, we hope this directory of prompts for you and your valentine will help you!
If you're looking to cut to the chase, here's a top ten list of Valentine's Day writing prompts:
- It's Valentine's Day and the neighborhood flower shop just delivered a hundred cacti instead of the hundred roses you ordered.
- Write a story about a couple with fundamentally different beliefs.
- Write a story about a proposal.
- Write a story about a wedding photographer.
- Write a story about someone making a gift (chocolate or otherwise) for a loved one.
- Write a story where it's raining men, literally or metaphorically.
- Write about a character who finds Valentine's Day sickly sweet.
- Write about a character known to be a cynic who secretly romanticizes everything.
- Write about a couple who fall out on the road.
- Write about someone who wants to stay home alone, only for their plans to be disrupted.
If you're interested in becoming a romance author, check out our free resources on the topic:
- How to Write an Irresistible Romance (free course) — It takes work to get to that Happily Ever After. With romance notoriously being one of the trickiest genres to write, how can you get started? This ten-day free course will show you just that, plus how to write a heart-stopping, pulse-raising romance that gets readers invested in your love story.
- 13 Beloved Romance Tropes Every Reader Will Recognize (blog post) — You know what they say! Know the tropes in your genre before you start writing in it. If you’re wondering what tropes to watch out for in romance, this post has you covered.
Ready to start writing? Check out Reedsy’s weekly short story contest for the chance of winning $250! You can also check out our list of writing contests or our directory of literary magazines for more opportunities to submit your story.