The Hidden Treasure

Submitted into Contest #241 in response to: Start your story with an unexpected betrayal.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

Two friends, Lilly and Brooke, have decided that they would like to go on a hiking trip for their next vacation. They conduct a search on the Internet and come across an advertisement for a modern-day treasure hunt. It says: 


“You could hike to the top of the mountain or you could hike to the top of the mountain and leave with a rare gemstone. The choice is yours.


Come join us for a week-long adventure climbing to the top of Mount Jewel for a chance to win a precious gemstone by solving a series of clues provided at each passageway.


If you sign-up by the 31st, you will receive a special promotional price.

Click here, for more information, but don’t wait, spaces are limited.”


Lilly looks at her friend, and Brooke nods to suggest that she should click on the button. Lilly clicks on the button and they continue to read about the trip.


The advertisement explains that participants who sign-up for the contest will be given a series of clues throughout the trail as they climb to the top of the mountain. A hidden treasure will be buried at the top of the mountain. The first hiker to reach the top of the mountain and locate the buried treasure will be able to take home the precious gemstone. 


There is additional information about the location of the mountain, travel accommodations, and the type of climb.


After reading the ad, Brooke says, “Let’s sign up. It sounds like fun.”


The two friends sign up for the hiking trip. A few weeks before the trip, they go to a store that specializes in providing apparel and gear for outdoor adventures. They spend a few minutes speaking with a salesperson and explain that they are going on a hiking vacation and need to buy supplies for the trip. 


The salesperson asks them a few more questions about the trip to help identify the types of supplies they will need. The salesperson explains they will need a large hiking backpack, a sleeping bag, cooking supplies, hiking shoes, a thermos, and a number of other supplies. They try on a few different backpacks, different types of hiking shoes, and clothes.


They end up spending a couple of hours in the store buying the supplies they need. As first-time hikers, they buy a number of items they don’t really need, but don’t realize it at the time.


The weekend before they are scheduled to leave, they pack all their belongings and try on their backpacks. The backpacks are too heavy to carry and they end up removing some of the less critical items. They try them on again and Lilly says, “I think we will get used to them.”


They make the five hour drive to Mount Jewel. They have arranged to stay at a nearby hotel the night before. They make sure to get a good night’s sleep before the first day of the hike.


They wake early, have breakfast, and make it to the trail by 8 am. They have been instructed to send a text message to the hiking company once they arrive at the park entrance for the first clue. Lilly sends a text message to the hiking company and quickly receives the following message:


“Roses are red,

Violets are blue,

The hidden treasure is yours for taking,

If you can find the weigh”


Brooke says, “What?”


Lilly laughs, “It’s our first clue. We have to solve it.”


It is beginning to dawn on Brooke about the type of hiking adventure that they have decided to take. She knew that there would be clues, but did not realize that they may not be straightforward.


Lilly, on the other hand, loves puzzles of all sorts and immediately says, “It must have something to do with the word ‘weigh’. Look how they spelled it.”


They walk to the beginning of the hiking trail. There are two trails that can be taken. One is labeled “Sunrise Peak” and the other one is labeled “Shadow Way”.


Lilly says, “It must be Shadow Way. That’s our first clue.”


They begin walking along Shadow Way. It takes them some time to get used to carrying the heavy backpacks. They stop frequently. 


Around noon, they stop at a hiking rest stop for lunch. They had brought along a lunch with them. They sit down at one of the picnic tables to eat their lunch. As they are eating their lunch, Lilly notices another pair of hikers located at the next table. Lilly sees that they are carrying the travel company’s hiking brochure, and says “Are you hiking Mount Jewel for the hidden treasure?”.


One of the hikers says, “Yes. Are you?”


Lilly says, “Yes, it’s our first hike.”


They spend a few minutes discussing the trip. The two hikers are experienced hikers and give them a few tips to help them along the way. Lilly also mentions that they are getting used to carrying hiking backpacks. They are a lot heavier than they expected. The hikers help them re-pack them by explaining what supplies are most critical and what supplies they can get at each rest stop.


After Brooke places the re-packed backpack on, she thanks the other hikers. “Thank you so much. This is a lot lighter.”  


Lilly says, “We’ll see you at the top.”


Lilly and Brooke continue hiking for a few more hours and stop at a rest stop. They will sleep at the rest stop and continue hiking the next day.


At around noon the following day, they reach a fork in the trail. There is also a sign that says, “Mount Jewel Hiking Adventure Participants” posted above a small table. On the table, there is a stack of envelopes. Each one has a label that says “Clue #2”.


Lilly picks up the envelope and takes out the second clue. The clue says:


“You’ve made it this far,

Good for you,

But, now you must decide which road to take,

You can go right or you can go left,

I’ll give you a hint,

The treasure is certainly worth it”


Brooke says, “I don’t get it. How does that help us?”


Lilly says, “We have to decide if we should go right or left. She spends a few minutes thinking about the clue, and then says, “I think we should go right. In French, ‘gauche’ means left, and a treasure is certainly not something gauche.”


At the fork, they continue walking along the trail on the right-hand side. They continue hiking for a few more hours and then stop at a rest stop to sleep.


On day three of the hike, Lilly and Brooke wake-up early and continue the hike up the mountain. At the end of the day, they receive a text message from the hiking company with the third clue:


“A mountain wouldn’t be the same without one.”


This time Lilly has no idea how to solve the clue. At the end of the day, they reach another rest area and run into another contest participant. They discuss their experiences hiking the trial. Lilly says they just received the third clue, but they haven’t solved it yet.


The hiker says, “I think it means to take the River trail. It has a bridge to cross.”


Lilly says, “I think you are right. If you want to hike with us, we’re planning to leave tomorrow morning around 8 am.”


Around 8 am the next morning, the three hikers continue the climb up the mountain hiking along River trail.


On day 5, they reach the top of the mountain. They receive a text message with the fourth clue:


“The treasure is hidden below a rock in a safe place.”


This time Brooke says, “I bet it is inside the cave. This mountain is known for its cave at the top of it.”


It takes a couple of hours to reach the cave. They turn on their flashlights and go inside the cave. Towards the back of the cave, a table has been set-up with a treasure chest placed on top of it. A combination lock has been placed on the treasure chest to protect the gemstone. There is placard lying next to the treasure chest with the fifth and final clue:


“30 to the right,

18 to the left,

And a 6 square to the right”


It is getting late and all three hikers are not sure how to solve the clue. They decide to walk back to the rest stop to sleep while it is still light outside, and will return the following day.


On the walk to the rest stop, they discuss the clue. The hiker says, “I think it might mean 36. 6 squared is the number 36.”


Lilly says, “I think you are right.”


The following morning after they wake, they notice a note that was left from the hiker.


“Dear Lilly and Brooke,

I received a message last night and have to return home. I’m sorry I couldn’t continue the trip with you.”


Lilly and Brooke are surprised by the message, and assume it must have been some sort of family emergency.


They make their way back to the cave. Lilly opens the lock by turning the dial clockwise to the number 30, turning it counter-clockwise to the number 18, and moving it back clockwise to the number 36. She tugs on the lock and it opens. She opens up the jeweled treasure chest. The inside of the treasure chest is lined with red satin. There is an indent where the gemstone should be placed, but it is empty.


Lilly says, “Someone must have gotten here before us. I wonder if it was the two hikers we met on the first day.”


Brooke by now is ready for the hike to end as they have been hiking for over 5 days. She says, “Once we reach the top of the mountain, we’re supposed to check in at the mountain shop.”


It takes a couple of hours to reach the mountain shop. They go to the designated area to meet the people from the travel company and are surprised to see the hiker they met along the way. She is smiling and talking with the people from the travel company. She is holding a square black box.


The hiker sees Lilly and Brooke approach and from the look of her face is surprised to see them.


Brooke says, “How could you?”


The hiker says, “I solved the final clue.” and quickly leaves.


Lilly and Brooke are somewhat dazed by what they just observed as they realize the hiker must have woken up early to go to the cave for the gemstone without them. While they never discussed it, they assumed they would retrieve the gemstone together. For Lilly and Brooke, they went on the hike for the experience. It was a vacation and the chance to locate the gemstone was an added incentive, but they never really thought they would win, and it wasn’t the reason why they decided to go on the trip.


The hiker’s action surprises them, but they realize that the gemstone has monetary value and must be the reason behind it.


Lilly and Brooke spend some time enjoying the view from the mountain top. Lilly takes a few pictures. At the end of the day, a small group of other contestants meet to take a helicopter ride to return to the bottom of the mountain. They spend the night at a nearby hotel before leaving the next day for the car ride home.


Lilly was inspired by the view of Mount Jewel from the mountain top. She is a painter and makes a painting of the view from the mountain top and hangs it up in her gallery. A few months pass. Then, one day a customer comes into the gallery and notices the painting and says, “That’s very pretty. Is that Mount Jewel?”


Lilly says, “Yes, I hiked it last summer.”


The customer asks, “Is it for sale? I’ll take it.”


Lilly says the painting is for sale and mentions the price. The painting sells for a price not as high the gemstone, but close to it, and helps make up for the loss of the hidden treasure buried at the top of the mountain.

March 14, 2024 08:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.