228 comments

Creative Nonfiction Inspirational Fantasy

There's a place, hidden to all but one, its treasures unknown to the world. A land of journeys, yes, but also wonder and awe. I know this place, the wonder that all must only guess at. Luke is its name.


I know the Literature Mountains in the west, towering above in all their glory. The highest peak, pages of snow folding over it, stands austere over the great expanse. Words litter the side of each mountain, words that shine upon the forests beneath. I can see the authors climbing the side of their mountains to the very peak, and I always smile when I do. It's comforting, gazing overhead as another mountain rises from the ground. Without the mountains, the land would be a desert, dead and bleak with no end.


The happy feelings that a day brings shine down upon the world and warm everyone's hearts. At the moment, the sun is streaming down like an endless river. I watch Thoughts jump through the air, circling the landscape with loops and twirls. One flies from the mountains, taking flight from the climbers and the words. My heart warms at the sight of them. I could never bring myself to hate anything, not even the Badthoughts, in this land. There's nothing, nothing at all in Luke, that I don't love.


Now then, shall we move on to the forests? There is one forest in Luke, Writing Forest, one that encompasses all others. I walk through the gorgeous trees daily, smile upon them. Each time I do, leaves fall from them, surrounding me in a lovely dance. I dance with the leaves like they are my best friends because they might as well be. I leave them with a parting gift, a new leaf for them to transform into a story.


Magically, snow starts to fall to the ground. The Thoughts scatter at the sight of it, hiding in the clouds which began to gather. They're Imagistratus today. I never would've expected it to snow in such warm weather, but I always welcome the cold. After all, there's no better feeling than that of snow. I rush quickly to the Existentialist, a yacht in the Philosophy Ocean. There's very little barring me from the real world, nothing that I can't surpass. With the Existentialist, grand in its red and white is where I stand in the middle. On its grand deck, I stand torn between Luke and Reality. Then again, Luke is more real to me than any facsimile of the "real world".

I stand watching as the water freezes over. It's lovely here. I don't want to go back, the land pulling my soul back, but I know I have to leave. There's always something I need to do in the "real world", always something that I need to get back to. Here, I'm free.


As the Existentialist sails through the emerald waters, I feel a dark cloud shadow the sea. It covers the brig in darkness, and I rush to see what could be causing the shadow. That's when I see it. The gigantic blimp sails through the ocean of the sky, paving the way through the clouds. Thoughts are scattering everywhere, the blimp consuming all the space left in the sky. It's the Blimp of Thoughts, a caretaker for all Thoughts making their way to Luke. It's a lovely sight, all of my ideas and abstractions breaking free. It feels freeing in my heart, too, as if I can soar above the sky.


The blimp is gold, shimmering and reflecting all across the snowy sky. I can see it turning inward and curving towards the clocktower. Oh, I didn't tell you about the clocktower! How silly of me.


Though I can't see it from here, there's a tall tower in the center of Luke. It has a clock embedded in the center of it, the entirety of the structure laced with emerald. I love looking at it, the heart and soul of the entire world. The clock doesn't show the twelve hours of a "reality" clock, but it shows something much more important. The timeline of my life. Without this clock functioning, without the dreams dreaming, without the Thoughts thinking, without the mountains rising, I am nothing more than a useless human.


The clock is my guiding star, the collection of all my joy and creativity and wonder and awe. When I let it fill me up, chime to the tune of my heartbeat, I know that I will never be a useless human. I will never be part of the crowd. I know not that I am special, but that I am unique. That clocktower is a beacon of hope, a light that I take to me back into my real world and that I am delighted to let fill me up.


Life in Luke is not like living anywhere else. When I first came here, first found it, I felt more scared than I'd ever felt in my entire life. Everything seemed to rise around me, leaving me behind. I ran for my life, trying to escape my own home. When the Blimp came in with its deposit of Thoughts, though, I knew that I belonged here. After all, where else would I want to be? There are so many possibilities in Luke, so many places to go and things to see. Not even I have seen them all. I'd wager there's a dark place somewhere, deep in the ground, hidden from all light and joy, filled with my darkest feelings and fears. Still, until the day comes where I find out everything about Luke, I am content here and now, nowhere else and no time else.


I do regret not being able to show it to you. I'd bet you'd all love to see it, the glorious rolling hills and forests, flying Thoughts, and the wondrous clocktower. I wish I could show it to you, I do. Still, I bet yours is just as magical. I wonder what your yacht looks like.

January 22, 2021 19:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

228 comments

Radhika Diksha
16:51 Jan 23, 2021

No way you could have explained your journey in a better way than this. Your real inner monologue is amazing. Looking forward to reading your amazing stories.

Reply

. .
18:16 Jan 23, 2021

Thanks youuuuuuuuuu!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:06 Jan 23, 2021

So, this is a story about your mind... right? Definitely better than inside out, lol. Really imaginative; I think we'd all love to be like this in our minds.

Reply

. .
18:17 Jan 23, 2021

XD Yep it is!! I know I tried to make it as crazy as possible :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:41 Jan 23, 2021

Haha this story is awesome Luke! Loved reading this!

Reply

. .
18:18 Jan 23, 2021

Thanks youuuuuu

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
H L McQuaid
13:15 Jan 23, 2021

Ah, to visit the land of Luke, if only for a few moments. I'd quote the lines I liked, but then I'd end up copying three-quarters of the story so... Only one sentence that I wondered about. "The clock doesn't show the twelve hours of a "reality" clock, but it shows something much more important. " What I wondered was whether it might be more powerful if it were split in two. "The clock doesn't show the twelve hours of a "reality" clock. It shows something much more important. " Thanks for sharing your stories and unique imagination.

Reply

. .
18:16 Jan 23, 2021

Thanks so much, heather!! I really like that suggestion.

Reply

H L McQuaid
16:55 Jan 24, 2021

Great, glad it was useful. :)

Reply

. .
17:05 Jan 24, 2021

;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
06:30 Jan 23, 2021

hey

Reply

. .
18:21 Jan 23, 2021

hey

Reply

B. W.
22:51 Jan 23, 2021

how are ya?

Reply

. .
19:52 Jan 24, 2021

Great!

Reply

B. W.
23:05 Jan 24, 2021

What do ya think of the new prompts?

Reply

. .
23:08 Jan 24, 2021

Eh, I'm impartial. I REAAAAAAAAALLY like the convention one.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Phebe Emmanuel
21:47 Jan 22, 2021

Woah. I'm not even joking, this hit hard. The way you describe all the pieces of your mind is crazy, and the metaphors are INSANE. It's such a good read, no joke!

Reply

. .
22:20 Jan 22, 2021

XD You'd think a description of my mind would be good :) Thanks youuuuuuuuu

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

WOW! I could picture this all in my brain, and it was amazing! Magical!

Reply

. .
20:49 Jan 22, 2021

THANKOO

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
20:35 Jan 22, 2021

Wow- this is just- wow! It's unbelievably amazing! Its so imaginative and creative, I never read anything quite like it before. I loved this so much, its so thoughtful and original. Really impressive job, Luke! :D

Reply

. .
20:35 Jan 22, 2021

Thanks so much, Maya :) What does your mind look like to you?

Reply

Maya -
20:38 Jan 22, 2021

No problem! Um, I would have to think about it, to be honest probably like a huge mess of different thoughts, colors, shapes, people, characters, dreams. Where one thing leads to another, and if you don't know your way around you'll get really lost. Lol :)

Reply

. .
20:44 Jan 22, 2021

XD That's normallll

Reply

Maya -
20:48 Jan 22, 2021

XD Yours sounds like a really pretty place, with all the mountains and forests and oceans. :)

Reply

. .
20:50 Jan 22, 2021

XD Thanks youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
05:10 Jan 24, 2021

Gosh.... This.,.. Is... TOO GOOD!!! AAHHHHUU why cant i write like that?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Reply

Show 0 replies
Megan Sutherland
20:13 Jan 23, 2021

So this is what it looks like inside your head.... All good things, it reflects on what a good person you are. :) hehe. I wouldn't make a similar story. hheheeheheheheheheh I loved it, Luke. Among Us anytime soon? I also play Minecraft XD -Meg

Reply

. .
20:18 Jan 23, 2021

XDDDDDDDDDDD YeP tHaTs WhAt It FeElS LiKe xD Xd xD

Reply

Megan Sutherland
20:19 Jan 23, 2021

Wait are we on at the same timeeeee

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
02:31 Jan 23, 2021

Wow this is so creativeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!! I loved this whole ideaaaaaaaaa IT WAS WONDERFUL Also why didn't you tell me you had a new storyyyyyyyyyyyy By the way I just posted a story!!!

Reply

. .
11:49 Jan 23, 2021

THANKS YOU SO MUCH!!! I'LL READ YOUR NEW ONE!!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
14:08 Jan 23, 2021

NPPPPPPPP!!!!!! AND THANKSSS

Reply

. .
18:18 Jan 23, 2021

NPPPPPPPPPPPP

Reply

Kate Reynolds
18:39 Jan 23, 2021

:DDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
20:50 Jan 22, 2021

I LARB IT!!! That's totally what your mind is like, lol

Reply

. .
20:58 Jan 22, 2021

XD WHAT'S YOURS LIKE?

Reply

Mira Caplan
20:58 Jan 22, 2021

Confusing XD I POSTED 14

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
20:58 Jan 22, 2021

Confusing XD I POSTED 14

Reply

. .
21:07 Jan 22, 2021

I SAW

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
20:50 Jan 22, 2021

I POSTED PART 14

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.