34 comments

Adventure Fantasy Funny

"Hold on... You're telling me that all this time you haven't been sneaking about with some hot dude but you've been sneaking around to be in the water", I shook my head trying to make sense of the far - fetched story my roommate/best friend said.

"I'm sorry I haven't told you about who I am. But you gotta give some credit", Brin/Aerwyna said.

"And who is Aerwyna?", I asked confused after hearing an extremely long explanation of her entire life story.

"That's me. I changed my name to Brin so I could blend in the crowd", she remarked.

"Wait wait".

Let me bring you up to speed. We've been roommates for three months now. And our bond has been amazing. It's like the minute we met we clicked and I knew we'd get along just fine.

And then suddenly she started sneaking around so I thought maybe she met a guy, cause the situation felt extremely fishy. She was terrible at making up excuses when I asked her what was up. So like a normal curious cat I followed her only to find that she went to the beach to swim.

So I waited and watched, thinking maybe someone special would be joining her.

But to my astonishment, she disappeared. One minute was there and I just blinked and she had vanished.

I ran to the coast guard and explained what I saw and he went to check too but the was no sign of her.

There was so much comm-ocean at the beach.

Ten hours later I returned home and it hit me so hard that I broke down and fell to the floor, grieving for my best friend.

Two hours later the bell rang and I finally pulled myself off the floor and opened the door to find Brin at the door. She smiled at me and walked in.

So you can imagine my shocked state.

"Maybe you could like normal drop hints to tell me ever thought of that?! ", I yelled. I knew I was not being logical at all. And if movies taught me anything valuable, it was that no one ever tells you their true identity

"More like I'll show you", she grinned and pulled me off the couch. She stood facing me and put her hand up to my forehead.

Suddenly I started sweating profoundly and then my body radiated a light blue light. My eyes bulged out of my head as I looked down at my body. My hair was flying around as I rose a couple of inches of the floor.

The minute my feet reached the ground, I was dragged to the beach. We walked to the far end of the beach where there were no people. But before we could step into the water she stopped me.

"Okay so crash course of how to behave", she started.

"I feel like I'm in a movie", I cut her off by mistake and she gave me a look.

I gave her a sorry look and she continued.

"Don't talk to anyone okay unless I give you the okay. Don't ever get separated from me. If anyone asks you where your from say from the Deep West".

"But what's the Deep West? ", I asked.

"It's an abandoned place. We mostly get a lot of people shifting from there".

"Are we done with the rules?", I groaned. She was draining my excitement with her lecture at the moment.

"Also please don't trouble the fish swimming around you. And don't talk to them too", she sighed pinching her nose.

"What like don't talk to the dolphins because they understand us. Although can I meet some dolphins please", I teased.

"You know what I mean. You get overexcited whenever we see a fish tank", she growled.

" No I don't", I defended.

"Aww fishy fishy come here little fishy fishy", she made baby faces while taunting.

"Got it", I mumbled, and then she held my hand and we started walking towards the deep sea.

When it was deep enough we went underwater. I was so glad that I took all those swimming lessons otherwise I would be so screwed right now.

I opened my mouth and a few bubbles came out as I let a breath out and I giggled. This was so amazing. I could never open my eyes underwater and now I could see the amazing view.

We swam for a while till we reached a big gold and silver gate. On it was written WELCOME TO ATLANZIA in a delicate and powerful cursive handwriting.

The gates opened and we entered. A couple of people who passed us bowed down and Brin nodded at them. She showed me a couple of buildings and some food stores and it was completely mental. We passed a couple of monuments.

One was of a lady, she was the first queen of this place Atlanzia. Brin told me the story of how this strong-willed lady fought against the other rulers and won and became the queen on the ocean. The lady was also Brin's great great great grandmother. No wonder the people were bowing. She's Royal.

"How do you like it?", she nudged me and brought me out of my thoughts.

"This is so jawsome", I said giggling and she rolled her eyes.

"You people live in the water and you have so many things. I can't fathom such a place even exists. This is seriously better than anything on land. Why'd you want to leave?".

"Grass is always greener on the other side", she said and winked.

"Aerwyna so great to see you", this pretty redhead said as she gave a hug to Brin.

"Yeah, how are you?".

Brin and she made polite small talk for about five minutes while I ate some creamy pasta. It was so different from the one on land. This one definitely had more flavor or maybe it's the water.

We took a sub as she called it, it was literally a mini-submarine although it was in a fish shape.

"Hey I have a question", I asked.

"Shoot".

"Where do you fuel a sub?"

"Shell gas station", I sing sang before she could say a word.

"How?! Do you get lame-r by the second", she frowned.

"But you still love me. Not the fake love but reel love", I pouted and winked at her and she burst out laughing slapping my shoulder.

First, we visited a theme park. It was called Shrimp World. There were shrimps standing in the stalls and working the rides. Everything inside seemed to be a shrimp. The only food available was shrimp, and then rides were all in shrimp designs.

My jaw dropped open when I heard one nod to what Brin said.

We went on our first ride. It was a twisty turn roller coaster with a high fall. The seats were designed as a bee shrimp.

"What's that?", I asked pointing to a huge tank. Which was weird like why to use a tank in the middle of the ocean.

"Oh, it's a fun game".

"So basically shrimp are really fast fish. So you get to go in the tank and if you catch three shrimp you get a shrimp stuffed toy", she explained.

"Oh so shrimple", I stuck my tongue out at her.

After three rides we left to go visit another landmark. It was a big castle.

It looked so much like a Disney castle underwater. The place was called Fanta-sea.

There were so many things going on in there. In one corner you had someone wearing a shark costume dancing, in another, there were people acting like mermaids.

"So this is a list of things you can do in here and the amount of time it takes to do them. You have exactly two hours so decide wisely".

I took a look around and made a sad face at her.

"What now?".

"There are so many amazing things. Why do I get two hours only?!", I whined.

"Cause then my effect will fade and you will most likely die since you can't breathe and it will take you ages to reach the surface", she explained.

"Okay then", I grab a pen from my pocket and tick mark the things I want to do.

Quickly we got into the line for sea horse racing. When it was our turn I sat on a Zebra seahorse while Brin sat on a Pacific seahorse. The minute the bell rang the sea horses moved. I caught on to the handle in front of me. Brin was leading but I think she felt some pity for me and let me win the race.

For the next ride, we had to sit on an octopus' tentacle. Our seat belts were fastened and then the octopus started moving slowly in circles. The speed increased gradually until I felt that my face was going to fly off my head. Then the speed decreased until we stopped.

The ride made me sick to my stomach so I had to sit out for the rest of the time. Brin made it worth it though, she took me to watch underwater fireworks.

Now obviously it wasn't fire, it was more like some kind of glitter gell. But it looks so much the real thing. We sat on a log of wood watching it. In short, it was just so magical.

"You know it's time we leave", Brin said after she checked her oyster watch which was hanging around her neck.

"Yeah, do you think we could come back?", I asked.

"Maybe someday".

"This was one shell of a place", I said and she gave me a sad smile.

We swam back silently, enjoying the last moments underwater.

As soon as we reached the shore, Brin said she had to go back because she had some work so she'd be gone for a whole week.

"So then I guess I'll sea you later", I said sadly and then made my way back home.

September 14, 2020 17:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

34 comments

Michael Boquet
22:08 Sep 24, 2020

Love the light hearted pacing and corny jokes.

Reply

Lexi Robinson
03:52 Sep 25, 2020

Thank you❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:59 Sep 14, 2020

Haha! Great story. The puns were delightful. Also, I couldn’t help but notice...” Brin/Aerwyna’ if you take the first half of Aerwyna and the last half of Brin, you get my name...is this a huge coincidence or a nod to me, lol? Anyways, awesome job, Lexi! Keep writing!

Reply

Lexi Robinson
05:53 Sep 15, 2020

Haha a pure coincidence 😅. But thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
P. Jean
20:15 Sep 14, 2020

It’s different, I’ll give you that. LOL. Interesting!

Reply

Lexi Robinson
05:52 Sep 15, 2020

Thank you 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
20:16 Sep 21, 2020

Oh my god the puns slayed me. I love this. Surprisingly heartfelt ending. I’m just worried that a place curated by shrimp also serve shrimp as food. That’s like, messed up. But funny, in a way 😂 Keep up the good work and have a punderful day! 😉

Reply

Lexi Robinson
04:20 Sep 23, 2020

Haha thanks!! 😋

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Samuel George
14:15 Oct 04, 2020

I liked the puns 😂

Reply

Lexi Robinson
16:57 Oct 04, 2020

Thanks!!🤗🤗😘😘

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Felicity Edwards
16:15 Sep 30, 2020

A strange, punny story. A few mistakes which I am sure you will notice if you re read it. Well done

Reply

Lexi Robinson
19:30 Sep 30, 2020

Thank you (:

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tvisha Yerra
19:50 Sep 24, 2020

Lol, great story! Love the puns ^^

Reply

Lexi Robinson
19:56 Sep 24, 2020

Thank you❤❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
C.j 🤍
18:20 Sep 22, 2020

Awesome story!!!!!!

Reply

Lexi Robinson
04:20 Sep 23, 2020

Thank you!!! ❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jason Smith
18:52 Sep 21, 2020

Will you marry me ?❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jason Smith
18:51 Sep 21, 2020

Nice enjoyed reading your stories.❤

Reply

Lexi Robinson
04:19 Sep 23, 2020

Thank you😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
18:48 Sep 21, 2020

"It's like the minute we met we clicked and I knew we'd get along just fine." Commas around, the minute we met, just like here. And then suddenly she started - commas before and after suddenly "So like a normal curious cat I followed her only to find that she went to the beach to swim." punctuation, "So, like a normal curious cat, I followed her, only to find that she went to the beach to swim." "I ran to the coast guard and " lifeguard You definitely pegged the funny leg of this. You might face Pun-ishment for some of your humo...

Reply

Lexi Robinson
04:19 Sep 23, 2020

Thank you 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
14:38 Sep 21, 2020

Hey i enjoyed this story and ya did a great job with it ^^ you know what i'm gonna give this? 10/10 :)

Reply

Lexi Robinson
14:39 Sep 21, 2020

Thank you so much!!!! ❤

Reply

B. W.
14:40 Sep 21, 2020

no problem ^^ i was actually wondering if you could help with something?

Reply

Lexi Robinson
15:11 Sep 21, 2020

Sure, I'll help!!

Reply

B. W.
15:18 Sep 21, 2020

Thank you ^^ i'm working on a novel but i kinda got writers block with it so i was wondering if you could help me with that, any ideas on how to get rid of it? i hate it when it happens and it happens a lot lately now

Reply

Lexi Robinson
04:18 Sep 23, 2020

I just usually read another story book or try doing something else in the middle. And then go back to writing.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lee
03:22 Sep 16, 2020

That was crazy good, and crazy different. I would go back and reread it though - just a few little inklings that you might want to look at it again - some sentences that might need combining, and maybe some that need shortening. A few words probably could be taken out, but overall, it was really good.

Reply

Lexi Robinson
04:48 Sep 16, 2020

Thank you for your feedback!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vaniden Dmello
11:05 Sep 15, 2020

Good , liked it

Reply

Lexi Robinson
12:10 Sep 15, 2020

Aww❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Moon Lion
02:37 Feb 05, 2021

I love this, I love the PUNS. Also, I'm also wri-ting ;). Pls, pls write more, I love the style and how fun it is. Good luck with your next writing adventure, sea u later, alligator

Reply

Show 0 replies
Princemark Okibe
17:12 Sep 16, 2020

A very entertaining read. Wow, and funny too. I do have some edits. 1. One minute she was there 2. I ran to the coast guard and explained what I saw and he went to check too but there was no sign of her. 3. This [There was so much comm-ocean at the beach.] Pun is really nice but is out of place for a girl grieving her best friend's disappearance. 4. I don't edit dialogue as humans are prone to error when speaking, but I feel a comma should be between 'anyone' and 'okay' and a full stop after 'okay' [Don't talk to anyone okay un...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.