0 comments

Fiction

A group of women are on a summer sports league. During the spring, they meet once a week to practice in preparation for the games that will take place on the weekends in the summer months. After one of the practices, the team captain announces, “We need to decide our team name and uniforms for this season. Our current team name is Leading Ladies, but I think we should discuss whether or not we should change it”. 


One of the long-standing team members says, “I think we should change it. Although people know us for that name, we’ve had it for years, and we’re no longer at the top of the league. We made it our team name after we once won the summer league, but it now seems outdated.”


Another team member agrees, “We’ve had that name for years. We also have added a lot of new players to our roster. I think it is time for a change.”


The team captain says, “Does anyone think we should keep the name?”


A few of the other team members say,


“Let’s change it.” 


“I’m not really a fan of that name.”


“It no longer fits. We created that name a long time ago.”


The team captain says, “What should we call ourselves?”


After a few moments, one of the team members says, “How about Happy Gals?”


Another team member says, “How about Lady Daisies?”


Another team members says, “Oh, I like that.”


A few other team members add,


“I like that name, too. It sounds fresh.”


“It will make a nice logo. A pretty flower.”


The team captain says, “I like that name, too. Does anyone have any concerns if we use that as our team name?”


The other team members call out,


“No, let’s use it.”


“I like it, too.”


The team captain says, “We also have to decide on our team uniforms.”


One of the new team members asks, “What do we need to wear?”


Another team member says, “We wear a shirt with the team logo and a skirt.”


Someone else says, “Are we going to change the team colors?”


Another person responds, “I think we should change the team colors. I’m tired of the red skirts.”


All of a sudden, there is a lot of discussion among the team members as many of them would like to change the team colors.


The team captain says, “Ok, it sounds like it is time to change the team colors. What colors should we consider?”


The team members discuss the color choice for a few minutes. One member suggests, “How about a white shirt and pink skirt?”


A few members say they don’t like the color pink. The colors yellow, light blue, and purple are also suggested.


One team member says, “A lavender color would be pretty and would go nice with a white shirt.”


The other team members agree and add,


“We could order polo shirts with purple trim on the collar and sleeves. I think it would look nice with a flower logo.”


The team captain says, “I will place an order for the team uniforms.”


The team members leave practice excited about their new team name and uniform.


A few days later, the team captain calls and leaves a voicemail to the printing company that can make team uniforms. She says they are interested in ordering white polo shirts with lavender trim and lavender skirts. They would also like to have them make a team logo and provides them with the team name. She also mentions that they practice every Wednesday and gives the park name and says it would be great if someone could meet them and bring the uniforms once they are available.


The following day, the team captain receives the following message on her voicemail.


“Hi, it’s May from Team Graphics. I wanted to let you know that I got your message. I will work on team uniforms, and I wanted to (cut out) anyway, I will see you on the 15th with the uniforms.


The team captain re-plays the message to hear the portion that sounded inaudible, but it does not come through any clearer when she replays it. Since the printer mentioned that she would see them at an upcoming practice, she does not think much of it, and figures that the portion that was inaudible was confirming some of the specifications.


On the 15th, the printer visits the park where the team practices and brings the uniforms. Once all the team members arrive, the printer shows them the uniforms.


The team members look at the uniforms questioningly. After a few moments, a few team members remark that they like the soft fabric of the shirt and the light purple color. 


One of the team members says, “The picture of the sleeping dog is cute, but our name is Lady Daisies. I was assuming the logo would include a flower.” 


The printer says, “Lady Daisies? I thought it was Lazy Daisy. We used an image of a sleeping puppy.”


The team members laugh and comment that they can see why it happened. The words sound the same. 


The team captain says, “It’s my mistake. There was a portion of the voicemail message that was unclear. You must have been clarifying the name.”


One of the team members says, “That’s ok. We can call ourselves The Lazy Daisies. Most of us are not as fast as we were compared to a few years ago.”


The team members joke and laugh, and make comments that the name fits. They discuss that many of the competing teams in the league would not be surprised by their name as the name suggests that the team has been around for a number of years.


The team captain says, “We can always change our name next year to Lady Daisies.”


The printer hands out the team uniforms to the team members before they leave to begin practice.


The Lazy Daisies finish in second place at the end of the summer league season, and decide to keep their new name for the next season, but add a few changes to the logo. They add the team name so that the words “Lazy” appear above the dog, and the words “Daisies” appear below the dog. They also add a small image of a daisy flower off to the side of the dog in spirit of the intended name.

February 18, 2024 09:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.