All Time Loki Part IV: Be Alright, Be Okay

Submitted into Contest #89 in response to: Write about someone who is always looking toward the future.... view prompt

39 comments

Adventure Coming of Age Fantasy

(Quick Note: These are not the actual myths. These are rewritten by moi, and probably not that mythologically accurate. The vibe song for this is Location (AJR Cover) or Three Thirty Things By AJR (which is the song Miles was vibing to in the car scene.) Carry on)


🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊


I put my head in my hands. β€œWhy am I trying to help a toddler?”

β€œBecause you’re nice.” Miles said. β€œAlso because I need him to be in the car, conscious, to be able to drive.”

β€œYou’re an obnoxious rule follower.”

β€œI just don’t want to be put in jail. Ma would kill me.”

β€œYeah, probably.”

We sat on the beach across from Miles’ house. The sunset was bright and orange across the clear bay, revealing the Golden Gate Bridge. Nothing romantic, of course. Miles and I have been good friends since kindergarten, and we both happened to be demigods. It was kind of funny.

β€œSo, I have a feeling you aren’t telling me everything about Loki.”

β€œWhy wouldn’t I be?”

He raised an eyebrow. β€œHe’s bad at being human. Hiding emotions.” He raised his eyebrow again. β€œYou noticed. I noticed. Ma noticed.”

I sighed. β€œHe has a total crush on you.”

β€œYep.”

β€œSo…”

β€œSo what?”

β€œDo you feel the same way?”

He sighed. β€œKinda.”

β€œOkay, and would you be open to telling him that?”

β€œI don’t want to distract any of us from the quest at hand. That means me, that means you, that means him. Love definitely counts as a distraction.”

β€œIt's always gonna distract me.”

He sighed. β€œHe’s probably awake by now. We should try to leave before morning. Avoid the traffic.”

If you’re a Bay Area local, you know about the traffic. It's always terrible. It's best to get going before everyone else if you don’t want to be stalled an hour, or possibly more.

He stood up and brushed the sand off his pants. β€œCai, you’ve gotta understand that I can’t allow my emotions to take over like that. I don’t want to abandon everything so I can date someone. If we only focus on that, Loki may never get back to...wherever he came from. I don’t know my Norse mythology.”

β€œThen don’t let your emotions take over! You can manage both. I know it because I know plenty of people who have dated on a quest before! My brother, my cousin, my other cousin...I could go on all day, Miles!”

β€œYou can’t force me on this, Cailen.” He gave me a withering glare that you would think the son of the god of light would not be able to give. β€œGo pack your stuff. I’ll get the car started.”

β€œMiles-”

β€œGo.” He said, his eyes rimmed with red.


🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊


β€œAre you sure we’re in the right place, Cailen?” Loki asked, poking the ground with a stick. β€œThere’s just dirt and grass.”

β€œYes, I’m sure.” I said. β€œIt’s gotta be here somewhere.”

I crawled around the huge oak in Crockett Hills Regional, pushing aside leaves. Finally, I saw a glimmer of silver.

β€œAha!” I exclaimed.

I pulled the silver lever towards me, and a door emerged from the ground behind us.

β€œRight this way, folks.” I said, and we stepped inside the armory.


🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊


β€œWhoa.” Loki said as soon as we reached the first weapons row.

There was everything a modern demigod could need. Collapsible shields, collapsible swords, concealable knives. Armor that could shrink to a necklace. Duck Tape.

I picked up a little bracelet made of string. It had a plastic bead on it, with a little carving of a centurion’s helmet. I put it on and tried to find the trigger. I finally tapped the helmet twice, and it sprang out into a round silvery shield.

Leather straps were wrapped around my arm. They were smooth and soft, but I could tell they would still hold. They were perfect on my arm.

I turned it over and looked at the front. A trident. The symbol of Neptune. I turned it back over, and on the inside, carved in small writing at the edge of the shield, were the words Cailen Grace.

I turned it back over, and examined it. It had my name in it, my full name, which I never told anyone. Then, like magic, a piece of paper was bunched up in my free hand.

I opened it curiously.

The writing on the inside was in a man's sloppy, quick handwriting. It read:

It was the least I could do. Good questing. Make me proud.

-N

I got angry and sad at the same time. He never talks to me, and then, when I’m on a quest, he sends a stupid shield and a stupid note? Make me proud. I’d sooner make a fruitcake.

The thing that was hitting me the hardest was the first time he reaches out, it’s for my quest, that can make him look good. Not when I was struggling. Not when I was bullied and pushed around. Not when my mother died. Not when I was living on the streets for that six months before Oma claimed me as her kin.

I didn’t want his patronage. I didn’t want his stupid shield. I didn’t want his help.

I was tempted to hang the bracelet back up on the shelf, but instead I took it off and slipped it in my pocket. I had a feeling that Neptune had given it to me for a reason, that it would save my life someday.

Miles was over in the first aid kits, looking at backpacks. Loki was slack jawed in front of weapons.

I walked over to Loki. β€œThere’s gotta be something for you.”

He just nodded.Β 

β€œWell, I’m gonna go look at armor, I’ll be over there if you need me.” I said, and walked off.

Loki had been so embarrassing during the car ride to the park. He would stare at Miles from the shotgun seat, and then when Miles looked over because he could see that he was being stared at, Loki would look away and blush, then look over again when Miles’ eyes were back on the road.

I shook my head and looked through armor. I couldn’t believe I had to watch over such a dork.


🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊


After we were back on Highway 80, Miles hummed, Loki stared at him, and I looked out the window. Until my impulsive self couldn’t take it anymore.

β€œOkay, this is so awkward and boring.” I said, leaning into the front seat. β€œIs there any car game we can play?”

β€œI don’t know any car games, since I didn’t know cars existed until a few days ago.” Loki said.

β€œFair.” I said. β€œMiles?”

He said nothing, but plugged his ipod into the console. He pushed a few buttons, and AJR thumped through the car at full volume.Β 

Come on guy, I promise everything’ll be alright, be okay. Your eyes look tired, but keep β€˜em open β€˜cause you wouldn’t want to miss a thing.

He drummed his hands on the steering wheel as we headed east. At least the trumpets broke the silence.

It’s too hard to tell if anything’s real or not.

The lyrics echoed through my head.Β 

The song ended, and Loki asked, β€œWhat was that?”

Miles looked back at him. β€œThat was AJR. My favorite band and celebrity crushes.”

β€œAJR?” Loki looked so confused.

β€œCai, can you explain more?”

I ignored him. If he was gonna ignore me when I tried to break the ice, then I’m not helping him. I stared straight out the window as Fairfield came into view.

β€œCai?” Miles said again.

I crossed my arms and kept staring out the window.

Loki turned around. β€œWhat’s wrong with you, mortal?”

My hand went to my pocket, where I had the note and the bracelet. I quickly brought my arms back, so they wouldn’t question it.

Miles looked in the rearview mirror. β€œCai, what’s in your pocket?”

I didn’t say anything.

β€œLoki, can you go back there and get that out of her pocket?”

He raised an eyebrow, but awkwardly climbed in the backseat. He reached toward my pocket, but I slapped his hand away.

We repeated that five times.

Miles swerved on to the off ramp for Travis Boulevard. He pulled into the first parking lot he saw, a Starbucks.Β 

β€œCai.” He looked at me.

I kept staring out the window.

β€œWe are not going anywhere until you tell us what is in your pocket.” Miles said.

β€œFine. I’ll live at Starbucks. Or Loki and I will walk.” I said.

β€œNo, I’m with Miles on this one. I feel like it’s important.” Loki said.

I got out of the car, walked across the parking lot and sat on a curb.Β 

Miles walked over. β€œI know you’re mad at me. I know this is all a lot. But it's important that we know what's bothering you.”

I sighed, and pulled out the bracelet and the note. I handed them to Miles.

His eyes combed over the note. β€œOh, Cai.”

He pulled me in for a hug, and he smelled like a sunny day. I don’t know how to describe it, exactly.

I cried into his shoulder, and he said, β€œCai, it’ll be okay. We just have to wait for it.”


End of Part Four

April 10, 2021 16:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

39 comments

30TH STORY!!!!! thanks to everyone for bearing with me through 30 stories. Y'all are like a second family to me. Look, Loki didn't faint at the end of this part! Yay me! Thoughts, Predictions?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya -
01:53 Apr 15, 2021

Ohmigosh Carolina, your website is so cool!!! Wow :D

Reply

Maya -
15:16 Apr 15, 2021

:DD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

I LOVE THESE I SWEAR I FOLLOW THIS SERIES TOO CLOSELY My favorite line: β€œWe repeated that five times.” I really like Miles, but he needs to get his act together and find a way to be with Loki because this is killing me. I love how close Miles and Cai are. I am upset with Neptune right now. Poor Cai!! I’m glad Loki didn’t pass out ;) Only a few things: ~when you said duck tape, I questioned everything I knew because I could’ve sworn it was β€˜duct tape.’ This resulted in me looking it up because I was so confused and it turns out duck ta...

Reply

Thank you thank you thank you! Haha, yeah! I kinda questioned putting Duct or Duck, because generically its duct, and then Duck Tape is also a brand :D Aw geez, thank you. i always put too many apostrophes. idk why thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:46 May 02, 2021

Miles and Cai have such an interesting friendship. I'm glad we got a glimpse of Cai's backstory and her relationship with Neptune. You've got a great balance between Rick Riordan's style and your own. Can't wait to read the next part! Great job!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Valerie June
20:38 Apr 16, 2021

I'm becoming obsessed with this series Lina (can I call you that?) Yay! Loki didn't faint at the end. XD I love how we're getting to know more of Cailen's backstory with Neptune through the note and shield. (I've only read the first book in the PJO series and it was fantastic. It's so frustrating that the gods and goddesses left their children to fend for themselves! #notcool) Back to the story... The humor in here is spot on! You're not over or under doing it; it's just the right amount which is pretty difficult to do successfully. I can't...

Reply

Valerie June
21:47 Apr 16, 2021

Your welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
20:12 Apr 14, 2021

πŸ§ƒ

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sativa Schilber
21:47 Apr 11, 2021

πŸ§ƒ I love your writing!!!! And your taste of music lmao πŸ§ƒ

Reply

Show 1 reply
Mazie Gray
14:25 Apr 11, 2021

EEP I AM OFFICIALLY OBSESSED WITH THIS SERIES nothing else needed

Reply

Mazie Gray
10:30 Apr 12, 2021

You're welcome! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hehe, I never knew a line about loki could be even more relatable than he already was; "He's bad at being human". Once again, rick riordan vibes! I wouldn't say you're literally copying his style, but you're definitely nailing the wit and easy jokes!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Ashlyn Leung
20:28 Jul 05, 2021

Hello! I see you like AJR as well! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:08 May 08, 2021

Oh god, this was..., wait, that sounds weird, anyway, this comment is just a broken record... "This Was Awesome This Was Awesome This Was Awesome This Was Awesome This Was Awesome This Was Awesome This Was Awesome.......

Reply

Show 0 replies
AntMan 🐜
13:43 Apr 13, 2021

😁😁😁Ooh! the detail! I loved the necklace and the note 😁😁 I don't know about you, but living at Starbucks sounds delicious! πŸ˜†πŸ˜‹ I knew it! More drama!πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Reply

😁😁😁😁😁 thank you! It does lol! dRaMaAaAaA oooooOOOOOO (to the tune of Bohemian rhapsody)

Reply

AntMan 🐜
13:49 Apr 13, 2021

πŸ˜†πŸ˜† Didnt mean to make you cryyyyyy If I'm not back again this tiiime tomorrroooowww carrryy ooooon, carry ooon As if nothing really matterrrrrrs! OMB I love that song!

Reply

AntMan 🐜
14:08 Apr 13, 2021

I didn't know you liked Queen!!!πŸ˜† I usually listen to songs made before 2000 πŸ˜… In my opinion, they're AmAzInG!!!! What do you listen to? I listen to the Beatles, Peter Paul and Mary, Queen, and other MISC songs πŸ˜…πŸ˜†πŸ˜πŸŽ§

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Bridget Summers
00:19 Apr 12, 2021

hey Carolina! Me again... I don't actually have that many friends on here because I don't talk to much people. I'v only said something to Rachel once but she probably doesn't know I exist- So do you wanna be my friend! I really need someone to tell this stuff going on with Ss to. Anyway if you say yes than read the following otherwise it's totally fine I understand. So if u read my bio I finally got the courage to write a story - it's about suicide (yes, I know) lol. But if u read her bio, SHE COPIED ME OMG IM SO MAD. ok... deep breaths....

Reply

OMB Bridget totally! :DDD Yeah, looks like she did D:< "its about suicide or something" if it's your own story, wouldn't you know what its about??? Plagiarism is illegal. She didn't give you credit, which means if you had a copyright on that material you would have had the right to sue her. That makes me so angry OMB. I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS I'M GETTING ANGRIER AND ANGRIER- uhrg. deep breaths. you said you published it then she copied it? I may pop by for some answers from Silverspent. -Lina

Reply

Bridget Summers
01:13 Apr 12, 2021

Really!? Thanks so much! Wait ur name is Lina?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bridget Summers
01:13 Apr 12, 2021

oh wait thats ur nickname lol I just realised. can I call u that?

Reply

Lol, totally! :D I did it. now I'm totally afraid to see if she replies. https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/82/submissions/56027/#comment-439985

Reply

I'm sorry but I submitted those stories in September and one in October

Reply

I can prove it if I want. So please don't spread lies about me, Bridget. I don't want to hurt you, why would I? I've been bullied enough in my life and I don't need this. We can be friends or just leave me alone.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amara Tillington
18:17 Apr 17, 2021

NO! CARO, SHE COPIED TOO!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 4 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.