5 comments

Romance Happy High School

!! This story contains suggestive language !!


Maximus Oak, a fifteen-year-old, deftly donned his 9 ½ Chuck Taylors and expeditiously fastened the soiled laces. The aglets of the shoes had been lost for years, yet Max was disinclined to replace them. He rose, donned an antiquated sweater gifted to him on a previous birthday, and departed through the sepia-toned doorway into a chilly November night.


Whilst traversing London Avenue and Fourteenth Street, Max utilized the requisite facial recognition technology to unlock his mobile device. He proceeded to launch the Safari application and, with his thumb, tapped the URL search bar before entering the query "flower shops near me".



A sequence of floral establishments situated in Provo, Utah appeared on the display. He selected the one that appeared to be in closest proximity. While his phone gradually computed the address, Max awaited with impatience. The appellation Bloom & Blossoms shone brightly on the screen.


Bloom & Blossoms. What a shitty name. Max rolled his eyes but stared at the address. Putah Avenue and Nineteenth Street. Not too far away. Perfect. 


Max slipped his phone into his pocket and started his short and lame journey to the totally lame florist shop. His mind lit up in remembrance. Shit, what flowers am I getting her?


Max retrieved his mobile device and halted at a traffic signal. He proceeded to access the URL search bar and expeditiously entered the query 'romantic flowers'. Subsequently, a comprehensive list of flowers was exhibited on the screen.


Roses are deemed too commonplace. Tulips bear a resemblance to cups. Gerbera daisies are unfamiliar and unappealing. Sunflowers, on the other hand, are deemed unsuitable for expressing love. Max persisted in his quest for the ideal floral arrangement that would ignite his beloved's ardor. Despite scouring countless websites, he remained unsuccessful in his pursuit, all while evading the danger of oncoming traffic.


Max looked up from his phone for a moment, to give his eyes a rest. He was nearing the flower shop. He needed to come prepared, otherwise, he’d spend too much time finding a flower that he’d be late for his date with the most beautiful girl in the entire world. 


Florence Nightingale possessed strikingly beautiful pale green eyes that captivated Max. Her physique was elegantly curved in all the right places, and her silky blonde hair exuded a sweet honey scent that was simply irresistible. Her personality was characterized by a unique blend of wit and humor, which Max found to be the most endearing quality about her. He was particularly fond of the way she drawled on her words when she was tired, and the way she rolled her eyes whenever he made a foolish remark. Her eyes would sparkle with enthusiasm whenever she spoke about something she was passionate about, and her nose would scrunch up in frustration or anger.


Max held a deep affection for every aspect of Florence's being. Her parents held him in high regard, as did her canine companion. In turn, Max held a great fondness for her parents and her beloved pet. His love for Florence surpassed any he had experienced prior. At times, Max would attempt to rouse himself from his reverie, questioning the authenticity of his relationship with Florence. However, his efforts proved futile, leading him to the conclusion that their bond was indeed genuine. The notion of being with Florence Nightingale was at times unfathomable, yet it was a reality that he cherished.


Max turned a corner and consulted his Google Maps, discovering that he was three blocks away from his destination. The task at hand was to locate the ideal flower for an exceptional young lady, a feat that seemed insurmountable. However, no flower could ever match the beauty of his beloved.


Max conducted an exhaustive search on the internet, with an intense desire to procure a flower that would be deemed perfect for Florence. However, his efforts proved to be futile. Perhaps, he should consider presenting her with nothing, as nothing could ever match up to her unparalleled beauty and charm.


No. Max shook his head. That’s stupid. Why would you get the most special girl in the world, nothing? C’mon Maximus. Think with that empty brain of yours. Think! 


He couldn’t think of anything. 


Disheartened, Max stowed his phone in his pocket and despondently traversed the remaining block to the florist's establishment. Upon arrival, Max was greeted by an overpowering aroma of pollen and the chime of the door. The melody of "Ocean Eyes" by Billie Eilish played softly in the background. A rather attractive, youthful woman was seated at the counter, which was adorned with an assortment of flowers that Max was unfamiliar with.


Greetings, my friend," the lady greeted with a smile, showcasing her impeccable teeth. "How may I be of assistance to you?"


"I am currently in search of a flower for my girlfriend," Max stated while rubbing his arm in a slightly uncomfortable manner.


"May I inquire as to whether you are aware of the particular type of flowers that she prefers?" inquired the woman with a composed demeanor.


Max declined with a shake of his head and stated, "She did not make any mention of it. However, considering her fondness for the color blue, I was contemplating deriving inspiration from it."


The lady placed her knuckles on her mouth, appearing to be engrossed in contemplation. "I may have a solution, but it will require an additional payment. These flowers are only available at certain intervals."


Max nodded eagerly. “I’ll do anything to make her happy.”


The lady nodded and disappeared into the back. 


Max rested against the reception desk, exhaling a sigh of relief. He had successfully accomplished his task. In all honesty, he would have procured any flower that the lady had requested. His sole objective was to depart from the premises expeditiously. The scent of pollen had become quite overwhelming, causing him to feel queasy.


After a brief period of contemplation, the woman returned with a bundle of green-blue blossoms that had been encased in plastic and secured with a white ribbon. "Here you are, sir," she stated as she placed the floral arrangement on the countertop.


Max pulled out his wallet and clicked it open. 


“This’ll be,” The lady punched in some numbers on the cash register. “$82, please. We take cash, credit, and debit.” 


Max was taken aback as his mouth nearly fell open in surprise. The price of $82 for the flowers left him questioning the depth of his affection for the woman in question. However, upon reflection, he realized that his love for her was indeed profound. He proceeded to search through his wallet and fortuitously produced $83 to settle the payment. The saleswoman then proceeded to count out his change and presented the flowers to him.


“Thank you, sir. I hope your girlfriend feels very special.” The lady waved him goodbye.


Max grasped the flowers by their stems and proceeded to exit. However, he abruptly halted and pivoted. "May I inquire as to the type of flowers these are? I wish to be informed for future reference, in the event that she favors them."


The lady smiled. “Those are blue puyas. Any girl would like them. They’re astonishing.”


Max expressed his gratitude to the florist and departed from the establishment. Subsequently, he retrieved his mobile device and utilized his unoccupied thumb to activate the "honey blossoms" application. He expeditiously composed a message indicating his imminent arrival and stowed his phone in his pocket.


“Blue puyas, huh?” Max scoffed. “You just saved my relationship.” 


March 29, 2023 00:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

AnneMarie Miles
03:38 Sep 07, 2023

Hey Lei! It's great to be back on Reedsy and reading another one of your stories. I'm happy to see you have been writing! This was a cute little story. A boyfriend buying his lovely girlfriend flowers, but he is not sure which ones to get her. This is his dilemma... or so we think! We don't find out until the end that there is an even bigger problem. His relationship is in peril, per his comment: "You just saved my relationship." A lot of times, a reveal at the end like this can elevate a story, like hearing the punch line to a joke or lear...

Reply

Lei King
03:16 Sep 08, 2023

I definitely do want to do a follow-up on this story, maybe a backstory on why Max's relationship is currently in jeopardy, or perhaps afterward once Florence receives her boyfriend's apology gift. I'm not quite sure! Be sure to read Miss Vulpes on my page too because that one is a personal favorite of mine. It was the easiest to write and sculpt into a fine short story. I hope to see more from you and hope to hear from you soon!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Xian Xiong
03:38 May 30, 2023

amazing story

Reply

Lei King
18:26 May 30, 2023

Oh, thank you! I got some inspiration from a friend of mine. He really guided me through this story without even having to give me ideas head-on. I was so nervous first submitting this. But, thank you <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lei King
13:34 Mar 30, 2023

As always, criticism is always asked for.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.