Featherless Bipeds

Submitted into Contest #122 in response to: Start your story in the middle of a traffic jam.... view prompt

33 comments

American Drama Contemporary

This story contains sensitive content

The morning traffic jam at the high school peaked at 7:47 a.m., short tempered fathers slowing down to jettison their surly sons, mothers asking their daughters if they wanted to take an umbrella just in case, seniors cutting off all other cars to drive diagonally through the parking lot.

Mister Carlton angrily tapped the steering wheel of his 2000 Toyota Tercel. It had been his mother’s, a car he inherited when he graduated from college with a teaching degree in social studies and more student loan debt than his entire first year salary. He hadn’t made much more since.      

His father had asked him a question at dinner the previous evening: What kind of man wants to teach high school?

It was a loaded question. What his father was really asking was: How much longer are you planning to live at home? Shouldn’t a man your age be able to provide for himself? Couldn’t you have selected a better major in college?

At 7:49 a.m., the traffic had not budged. Unusual. Even the bloated busses sat, impotent, lolling like orange elephants at the congested entrance to the school. 

Mister Carlton texted a colleague: [WTF]

His colleague texted back: [IDK]

If Mister Carlton had arrived at 7:43 a.m., he would have made it to his first period class on time. But customer service at the Dunkin’ Donut drive thru ranged from the sublime to the ridiculous. 

A car horn blared.

Several others beeped and tooted, responding by being longer and louder. 

Assholes.

Late again, Mister Carlton knew he would have to park in the visitor lot. He would have to skulk by the principal, who, in truth, was simply glad another teacher had shown up for the day. There were no substitute teachers to call this year. Students were just warehoused in the Media Center or Cafeteria. 

If the principal had said anything, Mister Carlton would respond by saying, “30,000 public school teachers quit in September!” But he would never do that. He would smile sheepishly and give a jaunty salute.  

At 7:52 a.m., his coffee was still too hot to drink. He checked his email on his phone. 

||OMG MISTER C I NEED A LETTER OF REC FOR MY COLLEGE BY 8:00 A.M. IMMA DIE IF YOU CANT||

Shit

It wasn’t like his seniors didn’t have all summer to fill out college applications. 

Mister Carlton pulled out his laptop, placing it on the dashboard, keying in credentials. He quickly pulled up his Microsoft Word files and selected “College Rec Template for NonAssholes.” When it opened, he made a copy, search-and-replaced the student’s name, downloaded the document to a .pdf, and submitted it to the high school’s Common App interface by 7:57 a.m. Voila

Traffic was still not moving.

Mister Carlton texted a colleague: [Traffic 🤬]

His colleague texted back: [5 0 called.]

The police? 

Dads-in-ties got out of the Lexuses, hands on hips, looking for someone with an ID badge to complain to. Moms blankly stared ahead while their children dozed in the back, happy for a reprieve from sitting in cold metal desks all day. Occasionally there were shouts from the seniors’ cars, as teenagers crawled in and out of each other’s vehicles—screaming with laughter for no reason. Music blared when their doors opened up, trash rolled out, smoke billowed. 

Mister Carlton checked his email again. 

||Mster Carltoon, I really this Form attached with my Scholarship APP||

||OOP MY BAD. It’s attached now Thx for telling them about my POTENTIAL FOR GROWHT.||

Mister Carlton clicked on a link, secretly thrilled the TEACHER INPUT response was just a ranking and not a written one. Creative thought? 10. Motivation? 10. Perseverance? 10. Why not? What did that even mean? Why not just ask: Is this kid a generally decent human being?

Mister Carlton remembered his Western Civ class. Apparently, Plato told Socrates that man was "a featherless biped," whereupon Diogenes brought a plucked chicken to Plato’s Academy, calling out, “Behold! A Man!” 

Why not just ask: Is this kid a generally decent featherless biped?

8:02 a.m. He checked his email again. 

||Attention faculty and staff, an incident has been reported . . .||

Mister Carlton tried to decipher between the jargon and the euphemisms in the principal’s email, trying to discern what was really happening. 

Sirens sounded from behind. Previously jammed cars turned nervously from the congested entrance onto the road’s shoulder, some cars taking the opportunity to U-turn and retreat entirely, knocking over cones and digging grooves into the Garden Club’s plantings at the entrance to the school. 

More horns sounded, melding with the approaching sirens. 

Mister Carlton texted a colleague: [Shooter??]

His colleague texted back: [OMG]

8:06 a.m.

The first responders arrived en masse, both drivers and passengers silent now, doing their best to move out of the way. Mister Carlton saw eyes widen, mouths open, faces blanch. His own throat constricted, his stomach queasy, his legs weak. 

My students are on campus. 

He briefly remembered his Western Civ professor telling the story of Alexander the Great finding Diogenes looking attentively at a pile of human bones. Diogenes explained, "I am searching for the bones of your father, but I cannot distinguish them from those of a slave."

More cars followed behind the police cars, the ambulances, the EMTs, the fire trucks, the SWAT team. These cars were full of parents, the ones who didn’t do morning drop off, the ones who had heard there was a shooter at the school—their children’s school. 

Mister Carlton got out of his 2000 Toyota Tercel. Immediately, several of his seniors gathered around him, hugging him, waiting for him to tell them something comforting, anything to make sense of a senseless situation. He had always done so with the horrors of history, certainly Mister Carlton could do so now? 

What kind of man wants to teach high school?

Alexander the Great was walking and saw Diogenes lying under a tree. Alexander walked up and said, "Were I not Alexander, I would wish to be Diogenes." 

Diogenes responded, "Were I not Diogenes, I too would wish to be Diogenes."


December 02, 2021 17:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

33 comments

Delia Tomkus
20:57 Dec 20, 2021

That story is both terrible, amazing, amazingly terrible, and terribly amazing at the same time

Reply

21:02 Dec 20, 2021

So......... C+ ?

Reply

Delia Tomkus
12:08 Dec 21, 2021

A definite A I loved it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
07:05 Dec 12, 2021

This was amazing Deidra!! I think you captured the morning rush perfectly, and I think it shines a light on teachers, which is always a good thing, because they are often unsung heroes and can really make a difference in our children... (Well... the good ones can at least, LMAO) Once again, you have blown my mind with your exceptional writing. Way to go!!!! :) :)

Reply

18:04 Dec 12, 2021

Daniel Hayes is a great motivational speaker and cheerleader, both of which need your ghoulish touch to lampoon. I would love to see what you could do with a demonic motivational speaker in hell (or on earth, for that matter). As for cheerleaders, couldn't a zombie hoard really use the encouragement?

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
18:36 Dec 12, 2021

Indeed you are correct, zombie hoards do need encouragement and I may be the right person for the job... lol :) Also, I think that would be a great idea for a story with a demonic motivational speaker, that would be awesome!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Forrest Folen
22:56 Dec 08, 2021

You shouldn't use the word "tooted" in near vicinity to the word "assholes", as it might give someone the wrong idea. Sorry, just adding some sarcasm to Mister Carlson's coffee. Other than that, this was a sophisticated take and I LOVED it.

Reply

00:34 Dec 09, 2021

Scatalogical humor is my specialty -- woo hoo Thanks for the read :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bruce Friedman
16:37 Dec 07, 2021

Great effort, as always Deidra. Your constant reference to "Mister Carlton" was telling. Normally, this would be a formal form of address. In your hands, it regressed to a reference to a teacher's lowly status and a caricature. I have an unrelated Reedsy question -- help line not responding. For the current contest, there are 50 contest entries and 73 stories. Does this mean that about 25 people are submitting more than one story. This seems unlikely to me.

Reply

17:02 Dec 07, 2021

Thanks, Bruce. Been a tough week here at school with bored copycats of the Michigan school shooter posting things for "fun" (ugh). As for the entries, I am guessing that 50 people paid $5 to be officially entered and 73 people just posted stories to their feed. I don't submit all stories to the contests, as some of mine are a little weird and experimental. (Hey, a girl's gotta have fun sometimes.)

Reply

Bruce Friedman
19:03 Dec 07, 2021

You are right about the number of stories. Thanks for your explanation. I am fascinated by your idea that writing a short story is a means to tap into your subconsciousness and deep feelings that cannot be reached by other means. In other words, this is an explanation of "where did that come from". Writing short stories as therapy.

Reply

19:29 Dec 07, 2021

The Greeks prime directive: "Know Thyself." And how do I know what I think until I see what I say? Hence, writing is a mirror. This I find a fascinating corollary as well: How Reading Fiction Increases Empathy and Encourages Understanding https://www.discovermagazine.com/mind/how-reading-fiction-increases-empathy-and-encourages-understanding

Reply

19:31 Dec 07, 2021

And if you ever want to chat about this and a myriad and sundry other things, come on the podcast sometime? Russell Norman (from Sydney, Australia) and I would love the discussion. :) Maybe check us out -- https://www.readlotswritelots.com/wp/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cathryn V
21:44 Dec 04, 2021

Loooove this! I did not see the twist coming. I especially love the Greeks; also the part about tire tracks going over the Garden Clubs' plantings! Thank you miss Deidra.

Reply

23:08 Dec 04, 2021

My pleasure, Cathryn. Wrote this from the heart. It's been a tough week for teachers :(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Matt P
17:51 Dec 03, 2021

I really enjoyed this! I nerded out heavy on that last part about Alexander the Great.

Reply

18:11 Dec 03, 2021

Dude did a lot in 32 years. Those Greeks were efficient :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Francis Daisy
11:52 Dec 03, 2021

PS Mister Carlton needs to download the on-the-go app for DD to save time in the morning. Then again, if he had saved time, he would have been inside the building at the wrong time...

Reply

15:22 Dec 03, 2021

I'll pass that along to Mister C. I'm sure his students have tried to update him, but digital immigrants are pretty stubborn :) So much of life is just timing, for good or for bad. As usual, fate vs. free will? An endless debate :)

Reply

Francis Daisy
03:58 Dec 04, 2021

I suppose this just shows Mister C's age. He probably was texting using an old flip phone too! :) As I wrote that about the timing, I don't know about you, but I am always haunted by 9/11 and the people who were delayed getting to work that day. Or, like my (quite fortunate) brother in law, who turned back and started running just before the second tower fell. He found an unlocked car to duck inside with another fellow police officer as the dust and debris overtook them. I do have to believe everything happens for a reason, we just don't al...

Reply

16:24 Dec 04, 2021

Mr. C definitely had a flip phone. HAH HAH That's quite a story about your brother-in-law and 9/11. OMG. You might want to write that up as creative nonfiction to preserve the memory for future generations. It's still so hard to comprehend :( I used to believe that everything happened for a reason, but now I think that we determine what that reason is. Maybe events in life are essentially neutral, and we decide whether they are positive or negative? Voltaire had a lot to say about Optimism and unbridled optimism in his short work "Candide."...

Reply

Francis Daisy
13:19 Dec 05, 2021

It's very difficult to write about 9/11 on so many levels for me. First and foremost, I don't feel I could do it well enough to honor the memories of all those people. The people who died, as well as the survivors who live with the painful memories of that day. Even writing this causes me angst. Realizing I was holding my breath for way too long, I will move on to my next paragraph. I have often wondered about my mantra, "everything happens for a reason" and maybe I am finding my own reason for these things. However, some things just seem S...

Reply

13:32 Dec 05, 2021

Reading a classic decades later is always a revelation—like if I’d picked up this insight on the human condition at 17, it would have saved me a world of trouble hahaha 🤪

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Francis Daisy
11:51 Dec 03, 2021

Phenomenal story. I love your pacing with the times, a bit of humor thrown in, and then the way your story played out. (I'm not an expert here, so bear with my lack of writing language)...just know, I loved how you built up your story and came to the ending. Your last line was AMAZING!

Reply

15:20 Dec 03, 2021

This was my reaction to the heartbreaking school shooting in Michigan. All school shootings are all awful in every way, but this one really hit close to home. I don't know why. It just leveled me. . . . and I don't really know how to cope except by writing my feelings out in some alternative universe. I thought the story was a bit of a mess, but I'm glad it resonated with you. The Greeks figured everything out :)

Reply

Francis Daisy
03:50 Dec 04, 2021

It seems with every school shooting, we, as adults, I feel like we are failing our next generation somehow. These poor children are crying out to us in the only way they know how: actions. I think the Greeks had it figured out maybe because it was a simpler time. The distractions of technology didn't exist. Humans sat around and actually used words, spoken dialogue to communicate rather than texts and snapchats. So much emotion is lost in the black and white of a screen. Sorry for my rant, it is just an emotional topic and one I am glad you ...

Reply

16:14 Dec 04, 2021

We are absolutely failing the next generation. Watching the Crumbley parents try to hide out in an abandoned building from their arraignment while their son sits in jail for crimes they enabled? It's Shakespearean, at his darkest and most bleak. "So much is lost in the black and white of a screen" -- you've captured it all exactly right.

Reply

Francis Daisy
13:12 Dec 05, 2021

As a parent, my heart breaks. As a teacher, my heart sobs. Do you think the parents, teachers, aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, friends, neighbors, bus drivers, store clerks and cashiers, librarians, all those people young and old in his life - those people - his network - his village, enabled him? Or failed him? Again, we go back to: are people intrinsically good or evil?

Reply

13:29 Dec 05, 2021

I think people are conditioned to be self-centered. It’s hard to be selfless—it takes effort to authentically care for others. And selfishness lies at the heart of all societal ills ☹️

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michael Regan
00:47 Dec 03, 2021

LOL - Who is next Pythagoras of Samos? Great story - as usual.

Reply

01:14 Dec 03, 2021

Numbers are the devil’s alphabet..math is no bueno!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Crows_ Garden
03:45 Mar 10, 2022

This story reminds me of my eighth grade history teacher. He had a much higher paying job before he became a teacher but he quit that so he could teach us middle schoolers history in a much better light than most. That teacher ended up giving me the tools to have the confidence I do today. Brilliant story Deidra.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.