Styx and Stones

Submitted into Contest #117 in response to: Set your story at the boundary between two realms.... view prompt

36 comments

Bedtime

A cold thick fog enveloped the muddy banks of the River Styx, chilling Persephone’s ankles. Demeter pulled Persephone’s coarsely woven robes tightly around her—robes of finely combed linen made from flax soaked in olive oil. When dried in the balmy Grecian sun, Persephone’s clothing smelled of newborn lambs and gentle sunbeams and fresh mown grass, but her dark destination had none of those sensations—nothing to smell, nothing to taste, nothing to feel. 

Demeter kissed her daughter’s forehead.

“I do not want to go back,” Persephone cried out. Demeter gathered her only child into her arms, drawing her close. In the warmth of the embrace, both of the goddesses could feel the other’s broken heart still beating. Persephone looked up in time to see her mother’s grief stricken face, jaw clenched and eyes ablaze. 

“Are you angry with me?” Persephone asked. 

“No, my love,” her mother replied, steeling herself, making her heart a stone. It would resolve nothing to weep in front of her child. “I am angry with six pomegranate seeds and the duplicity of the gods.”

Even as they walked stoically out of the realm of men, Persephone noticed how Demeter blasted the land behind them with an Aeolian wind. Trees shook off their colorful autumnal leaves. Vines dropped their fruit. The fair land and its lavish bounty rotted and decayed as the two passed. Trailing their footfalls, the verdant greens of the landscape withered into ugly browns, sending a shudder down the spines of superstitious men. Death seemed nearer, as the darkness encroached earlier and earlier, shortening their days. 

The goddesses proceeded out of the mortal world hand in hand, Persephone’s small white hand clasped in her mother’s large callused one. Browned by the sun, Demeter loved working in the fall fields—loved the harvest—loved reaping grain with her sharp scythe, standing next to the illiterate laborers, all rejoicing in the earth’s richness. But as the time drew nearer for Persephone to return to the Underworld, her mother grew quieter, more withdrawn. 

She seldom left their rustic abode late in the season, preferring to sit by the fire and hull barley by hand, dehusking the grains with mortar and pestle, grinding them into a fine flour. Old widows around the Aegean Sea found linen bags full of barley meal placed under their straw-filled pillows as they slept, necessary foodstuffs to keep them alive throughout the winter.

When Persephone arrived safely home to her in the spring, Demeter would breathe life back into Gaia, warming the soil, fertilizing the womb, reanimating the natural world. Until then, Demeter would sit by the River Styx and wait, brooding and counting the times Helios drove his chariot from east to west. 

Persephone attempted to keep her lips from quivering, swallowing hard, blinking back hot tears. But the coldness of the riverbank’s fog startled her, reminding her of all the bleak months she would have to be at Hades' side, the souls of the dead swirling and bewailing their fates around them. It was enough to drive her to madness. 

Persephone wept again freely. Her mother stood nearby, rubbing her back like a small child until Persephone’s sobs subsided. Her mother did not cry.   

“Are you thirsty?” Demeter asked.

Her daughter nodded.

From her girdle, Demeter unstrapped a small wineskin, full of barley-water flavored with mint. “Drink while you can, my dearest.” 

Persephone quaffed her fill while her mother kept watch, their sandals unsettlingly sinking in the mire. Standing by the River Styx, Demeter watched the murky water roil in whirlpools as far as the eye could see. 

Finally, she spotted Charon, the ferryman, still a good ways off. Demeter bitterly wished his infernal boat would capsize and drown him for good, but the old haggard fool remained relentless in his approach. Even from a distance, Demeter could see him adroitly wield his ferryman’s pole. She needed to say her goodbyes, as Charon was fastidious about his transporting the dead with exactness and alacrity. There would be no quarter given to mothers who wanted a bit more time with their children, even though it was wholly unnatural for children to leave their mothers behind while descending to the Underworld. 

Charon was coming, and even the gods were afraid of his bad-tempered outbursts.

When Persephone returned the wineskin to her mother, Demeter pressed a small silver coin into her hands, a danake, to pay for her trip into the realm of the dead.

“For the ferryman,” Demeter reminded her. “Do not look Charon in the eye. He knows where to take you in the dark. Do not be afraid. He knows to whom you belong.”

At the mention of Hades, Persephone's eyes closed in despair. Demeter held her again, her daughter silently weeping along the moldy river bank. 

“Will you think of me?” her daughter pleaded, watching Charon maneuver his craft to the shore, displacing the fog. 

“I do not ever stop thinking of you,” Demeter replied, offering her daughter a tender smile, the same smile that appeared over her cradle not so many years before.

“It is so long until spring—”

“How could I ever forget you, Persephone? You grew in my womb just under my heart. You are my only child and my beloved, dutiful daughter. I have the days numbered until you return to me.”

“εκατόν ογδόντα δύο,” her daughter said.

“Yes, one hundred and eighty two days . . .” Demeter repeated. 

Charon motioned and grunted for her to embark, holding out his hand and scowling. Persephone placed the danake in his hand, which quickly disappeared into his robes. 

“Σε αγαπώ,” Persephone whispered, a foot on the boat, turning for one long look at her mother’s weathered face.

“I love you, too,” her mother replied, sending her daughter off to a cold hell with a warm smile. 

Persephone crouched in the hull, looking for her mother on the banks of the River Styx until out of eyesight. 

“I will be here until you return,” Demeter called out into the night. 

Through the gloom she could just make out the whiteness of her daughter’s hand, waving a farewell—the sight of which dissolved the stone in Demeter's heart, turning it into a river of tears.


October 27, 2021 01:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

36 comments

Jasey Lovegood
01:30 Oct 29, 2021

Hey, Deidra! It's nice to see another story filled with the quirks and charms of Greek mythology. It was extremely descriptive, combined with an atmosphere only a Greek myth could have. Wonderful job :)

Reply

20:35 Oct 29, 2021

Sup Jasey! I've decided to change my last name to Lovegreat, just for a little friendly competition. (haha) Thanks for the read. Always fun to play with the Greek gods.

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
00:37 Oct 30, 2021

Oooh I like that~ I've just noticed we have "love" at the start of our last name on Reedsy, isn't that fun No problem :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel Roueche
03:22 Nov 05, 2021

I feel like this could be from a collection of Greek Mythology. Love all the details and the relationship between Demeter and Persephone.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amy Bowl
23:10 Nov 04, 2021

How is this not on the list of recommended stories? I could feel the sorrow from both of them, wonderful! :)

Reply

23:35 Nov 04, 2021

The judges giveth, the judges taketh away

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amy Bowl
23:09 Nov 04, 2021

Hey, Deidra! It's nice to see another story filled with the quirks and charms of Greek mythology. It was extremely descriptive, combined with an atmosphere only a Greek myth could have. Wonderful job :)

Reply

23:36 Nov 04, 2021

Woo Hoo! I wrote "Seven Greek Gods Walk Into A Bar" a while ago -- always fun to visit Mt. Olympus

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Fabi M
04:03 Nov 03, 2021

Lovely job and a lovely take on the sorrow of the myth. Very vivid and descriptive. I do greatly enjoy that last line especially.

Reply

23:37 Nov 04, 2021

Thanks Fabi :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ruth Smith
16:48 Nov 02, 2021

I love your take on this myth. Very well written!

Reply

23:38 Nov 04, 2021

Appreciate the Ruth :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:42 Nov 02, 2021

I love your story so much.Keep soaring.

Reply

23:38 Nov 04, 2021

Trying . . . Flying . . .

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Robert Houston
13:43 Nov 01, 2021

Loved your story! I wrote my first one titled "Astral Realms", do you mind taking a look and giving me honest feed back? Keep up the awesome work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Akshara P
17:55 Oct 31, 2021

How is this not on the list of recommended stories? I could feel the sorrow from both of them, wonderful! :)

Reply

18:39 Oct 31, 2021

Thanks for the moral support, Akshara. Mother/daughter both in an untenable situation. I feel for both of them. Life (and death) are both very hard.

Reply

Akshara P
04:56 Nov 01, 2021

You're welcome, could you please give my story a read?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mister X
17:24 Oct 31, 2021

This story is proof the judges at Reedsy are crazy. How is this not on the list of recommended stories? My guess is it is too smart for them. Oh well try suicide or child abuse. They seem to like that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Molly S
15:58 Oct 31, 2021

I can feel the sorrow from both of them. Well done.

Reply

18:40 Oct 31, 2021

Cathartic to write. I love the mother/daughter dynamic in this old story. Not crazy about pomegranates, though. haha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
09:30 Oct 29, 2021

"A cold thick fog enveloped the muddy banks of the River Styx" -vivid descriptiob , straightforward , rhythmic dialoguesn, , clench the attention of a reader, ethical work

Reply

20:34 Oct 29, 2021

Thanks :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
09:13 Oct 29, 2021

Your kind suggestions are required for my new story please.

Reply

20:34 Oct 29, 2021

I'll get right on that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Fox
21:23 Oct 28, 2021

I always see the narratives of Persephone not wanting to leave Hades - I very seldom see ones where she doesn't want to go back. This was fun and sad, and I also realize that if Persephone would just stay in Hades, it could be cold all the time! Yay!

Reply

21:39 Oct 28, 2021

I always thought Persephone resented Hades for abducting her (or was that just "Greek God Dating")? Her mom was definitely pissed. And c'mon, nothing but pomegranates for six months? Gross. Those little juice-balls seeds are disgusting. Maybe she grew to love him or maybe she just developed a wicked case of Stockholm syndrome...? Only Zeus knows. Scratch that. Zeus knew nothing. HERA knew everything :)

Reply

Amanda Fox
04:30 Oct 29, 2021

Oh heck yeah, Hera knew what was up all the time. And I'm glad someone agrees that pomegranates are vile. What were you thinking, Persephone?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Bruce Friedman
13:57 Oct 27, 2021

A change of pace for you Deidra, at least based on recent offerings. A dreamy tail, some of which was in Greek no less. I did not see any misspellings here. Great work.

Reply

15:27 Oct 27, 2021

Oh I do dabble with the Greek gods every so often. A personal favorite is "Seven Greeks Gods Walk Into a Bar" https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/6mgim9/ Thinking of a Greek god in Applebee's just cracks me up :) Thanks for the editing. (You are fluent in Greek? Wow!!)

Reply

Bruce Friedman
16:08 Oct 27, 2021

Your erudition may be leading you astray, Deidre.

Reply

16:27 Oct 27, 2021

So, not Applebees...?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amy Bowl
23:14 Nov 04, 2021

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :...

Reply

23:35 Nov 04, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amy Bowl
23:12 Nov 04, 2021

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :...

Reply

23:35 Nov 04, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.