307 comments

Coming of Age Friendship

James and I are brothers. Well, not exactly, we didn’t know each other for a while, but we like to say that we are. Whenever someone asks “who is that boy you’re with?” I always answer with a smile, “my brother James”. After a long period of sticking our heads in the mud, we finally met at ages eleven and twelve. It was a cold day in the forest and I was out climbing trees. 


You see, I love climbing trees. I don’t know if you’ve ever found a perfect tree, but the feeling when you see a tree ripe for climbing is so potent, like you can’t wait to hang from the branches. That day, I found the perfect tree, a tall birch. As I went to shift my weight to the lowest branch, I heard a grunt. There was James, though I didn’t know his name yet, sitting among the branches with a book in his hand. 


“What’re you doing here? I got here first!” He climbed higher in the tree, holding the leather of the book to his chest.


“How’d you get that high?” I tensed my arm and pulled myself up to the next branch. Even the bark was easy on the hands. I couldn’t believe I’d never climbed it before! It was a great tree, perfect height, and beautiful color, not that color mattered, but it did make a tree pretty. James climbed down a couple of feet, fluid in his movements but never letting the book fall.


“Well, it does help not to look down.” We exchanged a smile, as I rigidly hauled myself up to his level. It was a beautiful view, the lake over to the west twinkling in the sunlight. A bird flitted through the air, not looking ahead of itself and flying straight into a branch. James and I laughed, pointing at the falling feathers. We had some crude humor, we did, as young boys. No one ever thought of us as anything else, only silly boys, but we knew better in our trees and books. 


“Whatcha reading?” I asked one day, our legs dangling in the water of the lake. Fish swam through our toes, tickling the bottom of our calloused feet. He always had his book with him, flipping through pages when he had the time. 


“Eh, I thought this week I’d try to work through Steinbeck. He’s a little bit of a goof but, you know, who isn’t?” I shoved him lightly, peering over his shoulder at the book. It looked a little too dense for me, with too many adverbs, but I was intrigued. “How about you?”


“I’m going for the big ones: Hugo and Tolstoy,” I spoke with wonder, letting the names roll off my tongue in their native accents. James made a face, something between shock and amusement. “What? Why’re you making that face?”


“Oh, you know, you like all of those foreign books, and I’m the American Lit dude.” We stayed silent for a couple more minutes, turning the pages in our leather-bound tomes. The hours I spent reading by the lake with my only friend was one of the greatest delights in my small world. 


“Oh, dang, I promised Mama I’d be home soon.” I sloshed out of the lake, drying off my toes with my jacket. James nodded and muttered a “bye”, and I patted him on the back before running out of the dark woods. 


When the sun enveloped my weak eyes, moisture filled my lower eyelid. James and I spent nearly all of our time together, but there wasn’t an endless supply of books in the forest; I had to get out sometime. Oh, and yeah, I had my Mama. She was eternally supportive of my ambitions, the stacks of books I hauled home. School wasn’t even in the back of her mind when it came to me, as she told me every time I asked what happened in the red schoolhouse. There was nothing I could learn in school that I couldn’t learn from books, she’d said, running her hands through my hair. 


The schoolhouse was up the street, opposite the forest and lake. It had pasty crimson paint on it, crumbling off bit by bit by bit. When all the kids of the Street ran from their houses with backpacks and video games, I laughed from my tree. Well, James laughed too. I didn’t know where his mom was, nor did he seem to care, but it didn’t seem too important in our friendship. 


As I threw the door open, plopping my books onto the counter in the kitchen, no Mama greeted me. It was probably work time, I thought. 


“Mom, I’m home. Mom!” My voice rang through the house to no avail; no sound curled up to meet that of mine. A bit of bile rose through my throat, souring my mouth like a lozenge. Popped into the dining room. Nothing. Popped into the office. Nothing. Popped into the living room. Nothing. Where did she run off to?


“Michael? Michael Crawford?” A foreign voice echoed through the house. It wasn’t James. I didn’t even think he knew where I lived. What was a stranger doing in Mama’s place? "I'm from the Fulbright Orphanage, and I need you to come with me." A cold sweat started to gather on my forehead, dripping down the side through my rough hair. Suddenly, a great thought overcame me, a great feeling. I had to get out. I had to run, run far away. No stranger would come for me, no sir, not today. The shadows seemed to line the walls as I avoided the stranger's line of sight.


Footsteps echoed through the halls by the stairs. If I was going to leave, I’d have to do it soon. I grabbed my books and a banana, rushing out with a backpack in hand. That would have to do for now. I inched slowly out of the back door, trying to make as little noise as possible as it closed behind me. Well, now that that was over with, maybe I’d go find James. 


The cold night closed in around me, an insensitive cloud sweeping across my mind. Nothing weird had happened, nothing out of the ordinary. I was just going to meet with my best friend in the forest like I always did. 


A dark shadow fell over the trees. It felt weird entering the forest so late, hearing the leaves rustle in the dark. Would James still be in there, reading by the trees? A light shone through the trees, a flashlight accompanied by a familiar face that pointed it at me. 


“Mike, what are you doing here? It's like 8 o’clock!” His books were tied over his shoulder. The sudden pain of my situation crashed down on me. The forest was never more than an end of the string, a placeholder for my real home. Now that I had no real home, the other end flailed around like a snake with its head chopped off. James sat me down, offered me some Steinbeck, which I kindly refused. 


“So what happened?” he asked. 


“Well… well… Mama wasn’t at home… and then there was this stranger… some weird person that I didn’t know that was there… so I left.” I gasped for breath when I stumbled through the sentence, despite its simplicity. 


“Oh… well, that sucks, dude. You know, I don’t even have a mom, so now we’re like twins.” I laughed when he spoke, despite the sadness of his words. We sat in the shadow of the tree.

***

The sun rose the following morning, Of Mice and Men still in James's hands. I groggily opened my eyelids, the light blinding my pupil. It was a hot day; I could feel that in the air. I hated hot days, but at least I could swim in the lake. Maybe Mama could get me some ice cream when I got back... Mama... wait, what had happened last night?


A stream of memories replayed through my head, and I inched back away from James. I needed to go home. I needed my bed and the warm embrace of my mother. There was nothing in the world I needed more than her hugs. How had I wound up here?


Sprinting from the forest with heaving breaths, I scrambled to open the door to my house. It was locked from the inside, no amount of my yanking would wrench it open. A panic attack set in, the world closing in on me. Where was Mama? Had I been here before? The paperboy, lazy and careless, threw the paper right in between my eyes and rode on, not caring to apologize. I yelped and looked at the headlines. Hopefully, I would be able to hide out in my trees. My feet collapsed from under me, arms weak as I read the first obituary.


MIRIAM CRAWFORD DIES AT 36 YEARS OLD FROM CANCER. SURVIVED BY ORPHAN CHILD MICHAEL CRAWFORD.


Orphan child, orphan child, was that me? Was I the pitiful wretch torn from my mother by Death? I ran away from my world, fleeing and leaving everything behind as I climbed to my perfect tree. The bark was rough this time, which was odd. I had never known a tree to grow rough over time, but maybe I hadn't been around for long enough. I climbed higher and higher, letting the world fall away until I heard a soft grunt.


"Come on, Mike, take a seat," James said as I cried, "It'll be fine. Come on, I got ya. Have a Steinbeck." I was too weak to refuse the book, grabbing it with a careless hand and quaking fingers. "It's gonna be okay, I promise."


February 01, 2021 00:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

307 comments

Nainika Gupta
00:18 Feb 01, 2021

YESS awesome job luke! loved the style and the way you wrote it :D

Reply

. .
00:19 Feb 01, 2021

Thanks youuuuuuu!!! no critiques??? I'm sad that no one ever gives critiques :(

Reply

Nainika Gupta
00:19 Feb 01, 2021

HOLD YOUR HORSES remember how I said that I read it from a friend lens and then a critique lens? aLSO change emoji puzzle PLEASE

Reply

. .
00:22 Feb 01, 2021

XDDDDDDDDDD YOU DID?????? I DIDN'T REMEMBER... FINEEEEEEEEE

Reply

Nainika Gupta
00:24 Feb 01, 2021

ooh mebe i told mira?? anyway gave you critiques!

Reply

. .
00:26 Feb 01, 2021

XD Thanks youuuuuuu any non-grammatical level critiques?? Any like style things I could improve??

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
00:24 Feb 01, 2021

Ok some sentences needed to be fixed.... "James and I are brothers. Well, not exactly, we didn’t know of each other at all for a while, but we like to say that we are." I would reword that to... "James and I are brothers. Well, not technically, we were complete strangers for most of our lives, but we like to say that we are." It just makes it flow a little better!! also "A bird flittered through the air, not looking out for their eyes enough and running straight into a branch." I would say instead, "A bird flitted through the air.." flit...

Reply

. .
00:25 Feb 01, 2021

For the first one, I would agree it needs to be changed just not exactly in that way, and for the second yesssss. I agreeeeee

Reply

Nainika Gupta
00:26 Feb 01, 2021

oh yeah, np! It's not MY story :D I just wanted to help!! and YES NEW PUZZLE! :D

Reply

. .
00:26 Feb 01, 2021

THANKS YOU YOU DID!!! AND YESH NEW PUZZLE!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Diana Quill
14:56 Feb 22, 2021

For the secon done I would maybe reword it to: "A bird flitted through the air, but i's eyes lost their way and it flew straight into a branch." Or: "A bird flitted through the air, colliding with a branch after misplacing its eyes for a moment." Just some suggestions :)

Reply

. .
14:57 Feb 22, 2021

Yeshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh but it was already approved so...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
00:06 Feb 01, 2021

I don't know why on Earth I thought of this story, but I did, so enjoy!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Coco Longstaff
08:00 Feb 01, 2021

Ooo nice man I love climbing trees too but.......I can never seem to get back down. Wow, very emotional. Lucky I dont have to go through any of that. God bless. PS i need to ask you something. What does it mean if my story is approved?

Reply

. .
15:12 Feb 01, 2021

I LARB CLIMBING TREESSSSS!!!! If your story is approved, +10 karma and it is shown on the contest page.

Reply

Coco Longstaff
12:23 Feb 02, 2021

Hmm ok then why aren’t all stories approved? Is it because some stories are bad? Or maybe they think it was bad so they dont approve it?

Reply

. .
12:49 Feb 02, 2021

Because sometimes they don't fit the prompt, I guess. My Marshmallow pride one wasn't approved, same with like 1 other. I dunno.

Reply

Coco Longstaff
07:28 Feb 03, 2021

Hmmm kk thanks!

Reply

. .
12:48 Feb 03, 2021

nerp prob!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aveena Bordeaux
04:21 Feb 01, 2021

I enjoyed this. Loved seeing the mention of John Steinbeck and Of Mice and Men. Good taste you have :) Okay so, I noticed a few things. In a plethora of places, you place commas where there should be a period or a semicolon. This problem is all too common but though seemingly small, it results in run-on sentences and can make your narrative clunky and hard to read. Examples : - "James and I spent nearly all of our time together, but there wasn’t an endless supply of books in the forest, I had to get out sometime." After forest, a semico...

Reply

. .
16:50 Feb 01, 2021

O. M. G. I NEEDED THIS. LIKE LITERALLY I JUST REALIZED HOW LITTLE I USE SEMICOLONS AND I NEED TO. Thank youuuuu so much!!!! I do LARB John Steinbeck, and though he said he didn't deserve that Nobel Prize, I beg to differ :). This is one of the kindest critiques I've received!! Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vera Vuscoe
19:37 Feb 07, 2021

Great story!

Reply

. .
19:37 Feb 07, 2021

Thanks!!

Reply

Vera Vuscoe
20:09 Feb 07, 2021

Your Welcome!

Reply

. .
20:11 Feb 07, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:08 Feb 02, 2021

L U K E

Reply

. .
18:13 Feb 02, 2021

WUT

Reply

18:15 Feb 02, 2021

r you chinese?

Reply

. .
18:16 Feb 02, 2021

NOPE

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
20:16 Feb 01, 2021

BROOKES GONNA SHIP ME WITH SOMEONE IN HER NEXT STORY OH GOSH

Reply

. .
20:49 Feb 01, 2021

UGH NOOOOOOOOO

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:46 Feb 01, 2021

Perfectly unique, I think. I love stories like this, with two brother-like characters, going through it all. It always just feels so light, no matter how bad things can get.

Reply

. .
15:11 Feb 01, 2021

Aw thanks Ethan!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:03 Feb 01, 2021

This was a really nice story! And sad too :c One thing: The scene where he comes home to find a stranger inside, it felt a tiny bit rushed. Maybe add a bit more details into it, along with the scene where he was running to James after finding out his mother died. Other than that, well done! 😁👏

Reply

. .
14:49 Feb 01, 2021

Yeah I definitely understand that!!! Thanks you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
01:30 Feb 01, 2021

ooo.... somebody doin an info dump... i feel like there's a better way to state that you two felt like brothers than saying, "James and I are brothers" because it's evident from the story... plus I guess people should figure it out. Like how LA teachers always say, "show not tell" also with the stranger... I think you could put more suspense in it like, "omfg why is there a stranger" (like don't say that, but we need to feel more of the fear) plus it's kinda abrupt when it then goes to, "lemme find James"... yup you asked for critiques.....

Reply

. .
01:44 Feb 01, 2021

Urgh, I don't wanna seem like a jerk... welp here goes: For your first critique, sometimes its better to make a definitive statement in a situation where it fits and especially when its the beginning, and LA teachers use that as a reference to abstract things and descriptions, of which the statement is not... but yeah I get it... For the second, I agree in the sense that it wasn't suspenseful, but I was trying to make it that way, but yeah I totally agree with that!! THANKS YOUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
02:04 Feb 01, 2021

ha lol you're not being a jerk :p its fine. But I think that type of definitive statement works best in a persuasive piece... or essay... because it seems like you were just putting it out there for the first few sentences... there probably could've been a better way to manipulate that but it works the way you did it :D Yerp, this story isn't really the suspenseful kind, so I get it... yup! :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

. .
13:40 Feb 01, 2021

emkay

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
14:12 Feb 01, 2021

eeek has i offended you??? you may critique my story lol

Reply

. .
15:11 Feb 01, 2021

XD NOPEEEEEEE AND YES I WILLLLL SOON

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Diana Quill
14:53 Feb 22, 2021

This was really wonderful. I would suggest going deeper into Mike's relationships, both with his mother and James, so that the reader feels more emotion when his mother dies and is more grateful for James's presence. I really love the beginning; it's so creative, fun, and really puts the reader in the eyes of the narrator, but I feel like the story loses that same perspective and power as it goes on. Overall, good writing.

Reply

. .
14:53 Feb 22, 2021

Ah, yes that would make it much better. Thanks so much!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claire Lindsey
02:44 Feb 11, 2021

I loved this! The bond Mike and James share over literature and tree climbing is so unique and ties the story together nicely, and your imagery is really powerfully written. I’m enjoying reading such varied takes on this prompt! Some general style things you might consider for next time: —I don’t mind an occasional ellipse, but most times I think it’s more effective to break up dialogue or prose in other ways, either by varying the punctuation or breaking it up with inserted text. For example: “Well… well… Mama wasn’t at home… and then t...

Reply

. .
12:50 Feb 11, 2021

Ah, those are great ideas!! I'll certainly keep those in mind, bc too much punctuation I know isn't helpful. Thanks you so muchhhhh!!!!!

Reply

Claire Lindsey
13:28 Feb 11, 2021

Absolutely!

Reply

. .
13:29 Feb 11, 2021

:D this one wasn't my best, I'd be interested in seeing what you have to say about my story "the enemy", because I think that's one of the best I've written. If you have time, of course!! I'll check out some of yours now.

Reply

Claire Lindsey
13:32 Feb 11, 2021

I think I’ve read that one and left just a short comment but I don’t mind rereading a bit more critically! I can probably get to it sometime later today after work :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
S. Athena
21:35 Feb 07, 2021

Great story! The only thing that caught my eye was where you wrote "dark shadow" - I think the word "dark" is obsolete. I am a new writer so I'd love to get constructive feedback - here is my first story (EVER) https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/79/submissions/53837/

Reply

. .
21:43 Feb 07, 2021

Yeah, I agree and I’ll switch it when I have time!! I’d love to check your story out!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Paula Dennison
14:59 Feb 07, 2021

I didn't want this story to end and was sorry when it did end. I wanted to know what happened to Mike. Your story flowed well. The dialogues were good.

Reply

. .
15:00 Feb 07, 2021

Thank youuuu!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:12 Feb 07, 2021

You wrote it very well and in a different style. Just amazing!!!

Reply

. .
13:27 Feb 07, 2021

Thanks you!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:59 Feb 07, 2021

Amazing!!!

Reply

. .
13:27 Feb 07, 2021

Thanks you!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mango Chutney
00:01 Feb 07, 2021

Nice Story. Loved how you ended it !! Awesome style :)

Reply

. .
00:28 Feb 07, 2021

Thanks!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:54 Feb 03, 2021

Hi! I noticed that you were in, like, a zillion stories already, but do you want to be in mine? It's my first, about superhero teenagers. Stuff to tell me about your avatar: Hair color, eye color, skin color, power (has to be either element-related or have some restriction, like you can fly, but only when the sun's out) age, and color group. Color groups are red, blue, violet, green, black, and white. They're like Houses. Reds are strong, blues are kind, violets are smart, greens are spunky, blacks are mysterious, and whites are brave. I'm...

Reply

. .
21:34 Feb 03, 2021

Awwww I'm not in a ZILLION XD, OFC!!!! Hair: Brown, wavy, messy Eyes: Gold Power: Time but I can't go back longer than 1 CE. Color group: Violet or Black (you choose)

Reply

21:36 Feb 03, 2021

What about Violet?

Reply

. .
21:39 Feb 03, 2021

That's fine with me!!

Reply

21:41 Feb 03, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
18:19 Feb 03, 2021

I'm the weirdest person on earth lol when I first saw your emoji puzzle, for some no apparent reason, my brain shoved all of the MGK thoughts aside was was like "CRAZY RICH ASIANS!"

Reply

. .
18:27 Feb 03, 2021

XD Nopeeeeeeee that's hilarious

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
18:40 Feb 03, 2021

ikr XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dorsa S.
18:02 Feb 03, 2021

ahh, a book being swapped between friends during tough days - who doesn't want a Steinback novel! this fit with the prompt perfectly, though the ending was a bit rushed out of its full potential. the grammar needs a lil bit of work as well, but in the end, it's a story by YOU. you choose how you execute YOUR story. AND YOUR WRITING QUIZ - i took them both!! keep on writing, we all need your stories on reedsy. :D aND MAKE ANOTHER QUIZ!

Reply

. .
18:09 Feb 03, 2021

THANK YOUUUUUUUUU!!!!!! SO MUCH!!!!!!

Reply

Dorsa S.
18:11 Feb 03, 2021

AHH, COMPLIMENTS FOR YOU!

Reply

. .
18:14 Feb 03, 2021

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SO KINDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Dorsa S.
17:28 Feb 04, 2021

AHH I POSTED A NEW STORY FOR THIS PROMPT - COULD YOU GIVE SOME CRITIQUE ON IT? IM NOT REALLY PROUD OF THE ENDING PORTIONS :(

Reply

. .
17:31 Feb 04, 2021

OFCCCCCCCCC I WILL WHEN I HAVE TIMEEEEEEE EEEEE SO EXCITEDDDDD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.