18 comments

Drama

We giggled as we ran through the gothic arch of the main doors and down the stone steps to the street. The shadow of the belfry momentarily shaded our eyes from the glare of the sinking sun. The golden rings adding new weight to our freshly encircled fingers would have glinted in the light if we hadn’t been holding hands so tightly.


No confetti. No speeches. No first dance – at least not one that anyone else would watch. My dress was long and white, yes, but it had cost £30 off the rack and had barely a frill. We didn’t need frills, just each other, a helpful priest, a few solemn promises and perhaps a little tradition. . .


Old silver earrings, complete with the tarnish of the years gone by since they were last worn by my late mother – cleaning them would have been a stain on her memory. New shoes, dainty white ballet pumps with white criss-cross elastic straps, soft soles and not a single scuff on either toe. They were perfect for light-footed skipping in this light-hearted mood. Our witnesses were borrowed, like books, from the town library. We found them there a week ago in the local history section and bonded with them over images of nearby fountains. Two grey-haired, bright-eyed women who sparkled at the chance to be involved in something celebratory, so we invited them in to the most sacred moment of our lives. And finally, the elegant bracelet given to me by my sister on my 18th birthday. Real forget-me-not flowers. Tiny blue petals preserved forever in clear resin ovals, strung together with silver links that fitted perfectly around my wrist.


That trip to the library hadn’t been our first. My lover, a stone mason of some skill, had come to live in the old town after many months of researching statues. They were here in abundance. Exquisite sculptures of perfectly proportioned men and women decorated squares and streets with their silent, unmoving poses. Even the headstones in the churchyard were formed into huge, winged angels, no two alike. They called to him, spoke to him, until he gave up his big city job and moved across the country to study them more closely. He took hundreds of photographs of them, framing his favourites and reading up on the artists who created their forms. One in particular caught his imagination, he sometimes played his violin for her, more beautifully than he ever played it for me. Dulcet tones swooned on the night air as his bow tripped smoothly over the strings in honour of that motionless maiden.


Apart from our gold rings, the only thing he carried to the church that day was his violin, sleeping safely in its black, fiberglass case. He carried it as we left, a clue as to what was to come.


On this perfect evening, following our perfect wedding, in our perfect town, as sunset approached, we were naturally drawn to our favourite works of art. We thanked them for bringing us together. They watched our bows and curtsies, as we grinned our way down street after street.


As the sun waved a final, crimson-streaked, good night from behind the silhouetted Council House, we skipped into the square where the market stood on Saturdays. She greeted us from the ornate fountain at its centre, the stock-still dancing girl. 'The Virgin Wakes' said the copper plaque affixed to her limestone pedestal; 'Henry Pale, 1805'. The reactive metal bluing and greening through exposure to the air and the cascading water.


Balanced on one leg, the other out behind her, angelic face leaning into her turn, arms arched above her head. She spun in stillness, lit from below by bright bulbs, red, yellow, blue and green. The dancer watched the town square with frozen eyes, behind ever tinkling sprays of water as they cast rainbow shadows onto the glinting stonework of her very existence.


The lights brushed her flimsy dress with a dreamy wash of colour. The delicate shadows edging over the ripples and ruches of her stone carved fabrics, accentuated her breasts and athletic curves, as if she was almost naked. At each corner of her plinth a roaring lion stood guard, teeth bared, claws unsheathed, manes ruffled in an imaginary wind, each one the pride of his pride.


“We’re here,” he said. “We did it and we’re here.”


I leaned in, reaching up to kiss his perfect lips, pressing myself against his muscled torso. He wrapped his arms around my waist, lifting me up, level with his strong, square jaw. We relished the embrace for longer than I expected. Perhaps, I thought, his anticipation of our first night together as man and wife, in fact, our first night together at all, was as piqued as mine. He placed me gently back onto the ground, my ballet pumps soft enough for tiny pebbles to register underfoot. 


"So what's the big ceremony?" I asked, eager to involve his passion for the sculpted in my passion for our young marriage.


"Oh, my sweet, you have the biggest part to play. Do you think my virgin can mimic the pose of Henry Pale's?"


My teenage ballet training had never been more valued, more lovingly remembered. The statue posed en pointe in attitude en croise derriere if my memory served. Her arms in fifth position. Yes, I could hold that pose.


"Yes, yes I can! Should I show you now?"


He untangled his protective arms from around my delicate form and placed his violin case on the wooden bench beside the ballerina. He removed his bow and violin and began to play the sweetest melody. It drifted from his hands to fill the square and fill my heart with joy and melancholy combined together with such subtlety I could not tell them apart.


"Now, my sweetheart, climb up next to our model of loveliness and take your position on her stage."


The water was inviting in the warm summer evening and, in my excitement, I chose to ignore that it would render my white dress transparent. Her hair was swept back into a long neat braid, just like mine and I ran my fingers over my plait before straightening it down the back of my elegant neck.


"Feel the music," he said. "Dance with my rhythm. Until you rest in her position."


I danced with ease through the water pooling at the base of the plinth, graceful, measured, stretches and turns, the basic positions and movements came easily and I expanded my performance from there until I had climbed up onto the statue's platform and taken her shape; en pointe in attitude en croise derriere arms in fifth position.


The violin released a swirl of shuddering notes, the change in tempo and in mood caught in my ears and tremored my limbs. I held my pose. Almost exactly the same size as the model, my body brushed up side by side with my copybook example. It became easier to maintain the position and seemingly more difficult to move out of it. I relaxed my arms to bring them down to my sides but they stayed set, like stone, in fifth. I pulled my working leg in towards my centre of gravity but it remained flexed and poised mid-air. Panic swept through my body, exacerbated when the cold left arm of the statue made contact with my ribs. She was moving.


My face held a fixed smile, which I could not remove from my expression.


The statue-girl behind me took a step. She stood straight up, feet flat on the stage where I was now a prisoner in a perfect en pointe pose. She moved carefully with aching joints, slowly creeping down into the water of the fountain base. Her skin took on colour as she moved through the lights and she was no longer a stark, white stone. Her flesh was growing pink beneath her rose-white skin.


My husband, of less than two hours, continued to play in short staccato notes. He looked on as the woman he had studied took the place of the woman he had claimed to love. When she had fully removed herself from the fountain and stood before him, dripping wet and fully human, eyes as blue as mine, he stopped his jarring music and placed his instrument back in its case.


He stepped into the fountain himself, climbed up onto the plinth and planted a single kiss on my stony lips before removing my wedding ring and bracelet.


"Thank you Sweetheart." He ran the dainty chain of sky blue flowers through his fingers and said, "I will forget you not."


. . .


Balanced on one leg, the other out behind me, angelic face leaning into my turn, arms arched above my head. I spin in stillness, lit from below by bright bulbs, red, yellow, blue and green. I watch the town square with frozen eyes, behind ever tinkling sprays of water as they cast rainbow shadows onto the glinting stonework of my very existence.

July 06, 2023 21:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

18 comments

Jarrel Jefferson
03:04 Jul 15, 2023

The subtext is the best part of the story. The whole thing was told from the perspective of a young woman so in love with her husband that he could have plotted the whole thing without her realizing it. What’s even more interesting is that the husband assumes this virgin statue would make a better wife than the one he already has, even though both women seem very similar. Was this subtext your intention from the onset of writing the story?

Reply

05:38 Jul 15, 2023

Hi Jarrel, Thank you for reading and for your thoughtful comments. Your first paragraph, yes. This was intentional. This poor girl is so in love that she's blind to what's happening. Even though her husband has only come to this town because of the statues, and even though he gave up his job to research them, even though he plays better music for the statue than he does for her, she has no idea what is happening. The second paragraph of your notes is interesting. The way you see it, the wife and the statue are very similar. The way I see ...

Reply

Ferris Shaw
23:01 Jan 09, 2024

It reads to me as though something about the statue--perhaps about the idea of statueness, an eternal and unchanging perfection, a stillness unapproachable by mere flesh--appeals to him. And so he created this dark magic plot to marry a statue, sacrificing a living girl (for whom of course he never cared a penny) to bring the statue to life, or to a parody of life.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:41 Jul 10, 2023

Very nice! A subtle horror-romance, reminiscent of some of the more romance inspired of Robert Chambers' work. What really sells this is the young bride's attitude. That she's wildly in love is clear, and we're inclined to believe that their marriage is pure initially. But there's little things in the husband's behaviour that give us clues, like his obsession with the statues - and then there's the name of his chosen piece. Once the ceremony begins, we have suspicions what's going to happen, and the results are beautiful and tragic. Love...

Reply

21:19 Jul 10, 2023

Thank you for reading this Michal. I'm really glad you liked it and that the things I worked for did come across. I thought about tagging it as horror, or perhaps even fantasy, but I couldn't make either sit right in my head. I think you are right though, it is horror, and romance, in a twisted kind of way.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dennis Haak
06:37 Jul 10, 2023

What a beautifully written story. It felt almost like a piece of music itself the way you wrote it, lyrically and with rhythm to it. Loved the ending, what a twist.

Reply

07:07 Jul 10, 2023

Thank you Dennis, that's very kind. I'm glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
17:24 Jul 09, 2023

Exquisite. Somehow I guessed what maybe would happen to her but was surprised the statue became alive. That's one devious husband.

Reply

17:29 Jul 09, 2023

Thank you Mary - Devious indeed.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jon Casper
10:18 Jul 09, 2023

Outstanding work. The prose is an absolute pleasure to read. Beautiful opening paragraph. //Dulcet tones swooned on the night air as his bow tripped smoothly over the strings in honour of that motionless maiden. - I could fill up this comment with examples that sang to me, but this line is exquisite. I was so caught up in the splendor of their joyful marriage, I'd forgotten to prepare for the dark turn. The description of her transformation and the reanimation of the statue, with the "spell casting" of the violin, was remarkable. Defini...

Reply

11:47 Jul 09, 2023

Thank you Jon - I'm glad you liked it. I'm really glad that the final dark turn was unexpected because of the style of the writing - that is very satisfying.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
08:58 Jul 08, 2023

Absolutely captivating and hauntingly beautiful. Your descriptions are brilliant, I live the contradictory nature of spinning in stillness, it just adds such a surreal tone. Well done Katharine 👍

Reply

10:14 Jul 08, 2023

Thank you very much for reading and taking the time to comment. I'm glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zatoichi Mifune
16:18 Jul 07, 2023

Wow... Wow. Interesting, really interesting story, great storytelling. I re-read just to enjoy the way you weave your words together. Can't wait to read when it's finished.

Reply

18:56 Jul 07, 2023

Thank you! I just posted a full first draft - it still needs work but any comments you have before about 9pm UK time tonight would be much appreciated. Comments after that would be great too - I'm just trying to buy myself some editing time. Thanks!

Reply

Zatoichi Mifune
07:59 Jul 08, 2023

Sorry couldn't get there in time. Probably one of my favourite of your stories. Unique idea, love the way you've told it. Looking forward to more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Chad Eastwood
10:35 Jul 13, 2023

That was amazing. Beautiful, disturbing, and powerful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ambrose Cole
22:25 Jul 12, 2023

Love the subtlety here. The pacing is natural and the story flows well, and the messaging is perfect. It’s vague in a way that makes me want to reread every word and extract all the possible meanings behind it. And yet it’s pleasant to the mind to read simply as well. Overall, this story is a very unique interpretation of the prompt, and I’m a big fan. It overflows with genuine, living emotion, and it befits a seasoned and purposeful author. Good work.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.