Contest #185 shortlist ⭐️

On the Pulse of Tomorrow

Submitted into Contest #185 in response to: Write a story about someone who doesn’t know how to let go.... view prompt

67 comments

Fiction Speculative Sad

This story contains sensitive content

“You can check by gripping my wrist, you know.” 


The doctor looks at me like I’m something quaint, like a moth-eaten teddy; something that one used to hug, but now needs consigning to storage. 


“To measure the pulse,” I circle my papery wrist, pressing my thumb to the blood flowing, tapping an almost imperceptible stream. 


“Ah yes, of course.” He nods like he’s remembering something he was once told, perhaps as a joke, on his first day at med. school.


“Well no need for that now. I’ve got all your essential stats right here, courtesy of the graft.” He waves a hand in the direction of my right bicep. The Smart Patch they fitted nearly a month ago is invisible; a secret and silent doctor, monitoring me 24/7. He smiles broadly, in what is presumably supposed to be a reassuring way.


“No, I wouldn't want to interfere with your privacy; your physical space. These days we try to keep hands-on contact to an absolute minimum. It’s better for doctors and of course patients this way.”


I remember the doctor at the care home, gently closing your eyes, the practised hand stroking the lids shut for their long final sleep and blink the memory away. 


“Do you have any questions about the procedure? It’s really nothing to be worried about. The Smart Surgeons will ensure it all runs, what was the saying, with those old timepieces?”


“Like clockwork.” 


“Yes, exactly! Although didn’t those old watches always run down?” He lets out a burst of laughter which echoes around the empty ward, stripped of everything but him, me, and the one screen. 


“Well no worries about that today! Chief surgeon AI-da will be overseeing the procedure. As soon as it’s complete, the Smart Patch will fully activate, commencing operations formally completed by the redundant,” he looks briefly lost for words, shifting from one foot to the other, “er, the redundant part.” He finally manages. 


“Now, you take it nice and easy David, and when your Smart Patch and AI-da are ready to begin, your Hear-Speak will let you know.” He gestures to the implant lodged in my right ear. 


The screen, previously dark, flashes to colour. Lines of text appear: Elevated levels of Cortisol detected; attendant spike in blood glucose. Recommended medical intervention: tranquilliser and insulin administered in 3 minutes, should levels fail to stabilise. 


“Doctor, no!” I blurt out, gripping the rails at the side of my bed. “I can manage this; I’ve learnt breathing exercises to deal with stress. I don’t need a tranquiliser!” 


“Of course,” he soothes, making for the door. “The nanobots will only deliver the drugs if there is a medical need. Now do try to relax. If you like, I can check in on you one more time.” And he closes the door quietly behind him. 


It’s only when he’s gone that I realise I forgot to ask any questions. But I can’t let that trouble me now. I have less than two minutes to try and lower my stress levels, or the nanobots will deliver the drug and I’ll only know the dark when it slips about me, pulling me under. Breathe David, I tell myself: long, deep breaths. In: one, two, three, four, five; and out: one, two, three, four, five. In through the nose: one, two, three, four, five; and out through the mouth: one, two, three, four, five. Again. And it helps: my breath, that old familiar; a rhythm that has rocked me throughout my life. Here, in this alien place, it is the comfort of the known, still performing the daily miracle of turning air into breath, breath into life, deep in my lungs. 


I’ve managed it. The screen closes its beady eye; the lines of text vanish into reassuring nothingness and I silently thank those relaxation classes I stumbled into months ago at the care home. They didn’t seem to bring much respite at the time, unless you count staring vacantly at my feet while others did the breathing exercises a help, but perhaps they’ve finally come in handy now. Yes, my hand’s not shaking. I look at it swiping over the imperceptible Smart Patch. It's supposed to be seamless, and I certainly can’t see a crease or a wrinkle of skin, let alone a scar. But I know it’s there; I can almost sense it pulsating with my data. Soundless blips are instantaneously zipped to the screen with its invisible eye trained on me; to my smart fridge: door now locked, barring me from all my lovely creamy, fatty, artery-clogging favourites. And of course, inevitably, my health insurance has been automatically updated with my vital stats: my premiums will go up, again. And for tomorrow, my Smart Car has the schedule in place: pick up at 8am, when I’ll be ready to check out, this one final procedure complete, finally having crossed the finishing line; my destination: brand new me. 


I remember other finishing lines. A water-logged playing field. A school sports day in March. The other boys all lined up, hands on scabby knees, waiting for the whistle. And from the sidelines, the blast ripped across the grass, a summons to run- and we did. Elbows out like mug handles, shoes claggy with mud. Each stride was exhilarating pain. I forgot to breathe, forgot to pace myself; I only knew I was the closest to the finishing line, was upon the finishing line, was over the line- I’d won! Heart thumping, blood in my ears, whole body shaking with the effort; I’d gulped down air feeling, for the first time, with every fibre of my small being, the thrill of a win, yes, but also the thrill of being alive. 


I’d sat down afterwards, head between my knees, a little sponge, letting the rain-soaked earth seep into me. I was dizzy, with elation or exertion, I couldn’t tell- probably both; but I knew I needed to rest. Clear signals: body to mind. Blood a speeding messenger, delivering its missive: sit!- to my befuddled brain. That was then; this is now. Which signals will Smart Patch or AI-da send me? Will they bother at all? Perhaps the nanobots will just release the anaesthetic when they’re ready to go. No need for a countdown, an old-fashioned: 3-2-1. It’s not like I didn’t sign up for this; my Insurance made the stipulation and my digital fingerprint is on all the forms. If they want darkness to descend in the swirl of a Smart magician’s cloak, well they’re the conjurors now, not me. 


It didn’t use to be like this. It used to be me with magic at my fingertips, for I’d touch you and you’d quiver, a string stroked by a bow. And oh what music we made. Those nights, under the stars; me, a poor boy, wishing for the diamond necklaces strung on night's throat; wishing I could reach up and pluck one down, clasp it about your lovely neck, and see how you outshone the lights of heaven. Not that you needed jewels; we didn’t even need the stars. I would have found your lips, drank your breath, even if the earth had heaved and we two had fallen into an abyss. 


That first kiss: where the bee sucks, there suck I; heart hammering like it wanted to knock down every door I’d ever shut; blood roaring like an orchestra in my ears. The sounds of love: hammering, roaring, music on full blast. I look about the ward and can only wonder, at the clear digital silence. It is like someone has come with a big bag, opened it up and put all the sounds inside, snapped it shut and left. There’s no hum of machines, no shuffle of shoes; if AI-da is here, she is as silent as the grave


No, I lie, there is a noise: the click of the door opening; the doctor is back again, just as he promised. He begins to parrot a spiel; perhaps this is his role, although he seems pretty redundant, if truth be told, given Chief Surgeon AI- da will be running the show with her team: Smart Patch and the nanobots. Perhaps he’s part of the package, paid for by my monthly premiums: a salute to the bygone days, offering a comforting patter, even if he won’t take my pulse or listen to my chest. I struggle to focus on what he is saying, trying to keep the rhythm of my breathing while I glance at the screen behind him. 


“So there’s no need to feel anxious at all, David. This is the last procedure: the final great overhaul.”


I nod, his words setting me adrift, not hauling me in at all.


“And after this, the Smart Patch and nanobots will be able to fully navigate this old ship of a body.” He nods, as if appraising my paper-thin skin and silver hairs and deducing an old steamer, long since destined for harbour. 


He seems to be building up to a grand oration and I wonder if he is just voicing the Hear-Speak in his ear. I seem to remember this speech from the Insurance blurb I had to read and sign weeks ago. When the rep. explained that as I now no longer had someone to care for me, and as I was of an age where I would place more demands on my Insurance than supply could possibly meet, I would have to, please, press my fingerprint to the screen, agreeing to the procedures listed: a Hear- Speak implant; a Smart Patch graft, an infusion of nanobots…the list went on. I’d closed my eyes and pressed. 


Here, in this ward, the doctor’s still droning on. I grip the rails, feeling the bed rock beneath me.


“This great storm of life: age, disease; it is over. Ours will be smarter sailing, on the high-wi wave of the future.”


I remember other waves. 


Our last holiday, pushing your wheelchair, well pulling it in reality, across the beach. You were so light, but still we stuck in every ripple of sand. Right down to the shore where the little waves lapped over the wheels and I half thought we should just keep going. It was easier here, the sand compacted from the tide; the chair picking up speed of its own accord. The thought crossed my mind: I could push right on, let the waves cover me and you. Yes, we could have stepped into the tide, and accepted that there was no wave, no medical miracle, which would break in time for you. Better to let the surf pound and render us back to the particles we came from; to mingle with the sand. 


Instead we stopped, watching the boats far out on the horizon, specks which seemed stationary and devoid of purpose compared to us: watching, holding hands, feeling the twitch of your pulse, your life force, trembling, but insistent still. 


I collected your Death Certificate two weeks later and to the wider world you are gone. We are steeped in surveillance, but your presence goes unnoticed by all but me. For what can detect an invisible shadow, cast by no light, possessing no form? But I sense you; you’re the daylight moon, an improbable miracle, but one right there to see, if we only just glance up. 


As I do now, looking at the parroting doctor like I’m seeing for the first time after months of floundering in the dark. And the questions pound relentlessly: what am I doing here? Yes, I’m signed up to the Three R programme: Renew, Regenerate, Revive but what is it exactly that I want to revive? There is nothing dormant, slumbering or passed-on. I know what I’ve felt since I first took you in my arms under that jewel-studded sky, all those years ago. You don’t need to revive something that never died.


Yes, I signed the paper. It stated it was just an organ, like any other: blood, tissue, muscle. It’s a medical procedure, not much more than a bypass, fitting a pacemaker, or having a transplant. Except it’s not. 


I’m no medical man, no anatomist; I’ve been telling myself these last months. What do I know of this beat in my chest? Enough to know it now for what it is: the drum of my life which I could never, ever, let someone silence, substituting in its place a silent, staring patch. 


One hand clutching my chest, I begin to rise from the hospital bed. I grasp at my heart, my one and only treasure chest, storing every bit of gold I ever had: a bounty of pleasure and pain. I glare at the doctor, this thief with his band of AI robbers. 


I can’t give it up and I won’t. I open my mouth to tell him, only to rebound from the words he has let fly.


“Ah, I’m getting a message that AI-da is ready now. Don’t worry David, you won’t miss your heart at all. It’s packing up; time for the Smart Patch to take over. 


My chest tightens, it feels like a boulder is squeezing the air out of me. The invisible patch burns under my skin like a brand and unseen I feel the nanobots speed through my veins like dark lightning, scorching my senses.


“I-”


He smiles broadly, "yes, I know, we’re so lucky to be living on the pulse of tomorrow.”



February 15, 2023 16:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

67 comments

Wendy Kaminski
19:14 Feb 19, 2023

Really just so thought-provoking and engrossing, Rebecca! I enjoyed this thoroughly, and am sorta rethinking the merits of writing about gold-crapping dragons. However, you are such an incredible writer in this field that you're impossible to match: your descriptions, plot, reminisces, the magical way you have with words... "I collected your Death Certificate two weeks later and to the wider world you are gone. // But I sense you; you’re the daylight moon, an improbable miracle, but one right there to see, if we only just glance up." Wow! ...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
21:13 Feb 19, 2023

Now I'm really intrigued. A gold-crapping dragon sounds just what I need before bed. I actually really wanted to write a dragon story but came up with nothing that sounded different to a Lord of the Ring's Smaug! I'm so glad you found this enthralling and I'm going to check out your funny now.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
17:05 Feb 24, 2023

Congratulations on shortlisting, Rebecca! :)

Reply

Rebecca Miles
21:25 Feb 25, 2023

Thanks so much Wendy. Nice in particular as I've a week off this one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
12:08 Feb 19, 2023

Such beautiful poetry in your prose. I sigh when I read it. It’s mesmerising to read and your descriptions are so alive. There are just too many to list. The AI question is very pertinent and I too wonder at the future with such technology. Taking the humanity out of life and replacing it with artificially generated perfection? You also raise the question of what happens as we age and are less than perfect? It’s quite dark and disturbing, but you presented it with a fantastic contrast. We have such a condescending doctor who actually do...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Susan Catucci
02:03 Feb 19, 2023

I'm learning so much from you, Rebecca, I can't tell you. This is another language, something transcendent and beautiful, and still devastating and horrific in its meaning, which I think makes it a necessary read. Beware the poetry of presentation. It's no longer a life of if it feels good do it; honestly, if it feels good, question it, and good luck if there's a thing you can do about it. Love your thinking and your execution, both.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
09:14 Feb 19, 2023

That's so lovely of you Susan. I feel too that I'm really refining my writing on Reedsy, reading so many different styles and themes. How you fused your two narratives was just ace.

Reply

Susan Catucci
17:18 Feb 24, 2023

YES YES YES! They got this one right! Congratulations, Rebecca! I'm thrilled for you and so glad this was recognized for the great work it is! I'll continue to read whatever you have, Rebecca - much to learn from a talent like yours. :)

Reply

Rebecca Miles
17:52 Feb 24, 2023

I'm flown back to my home city of London for just a few days, heading off to the Abba (hologram) concert and your comment has made me feel like the writing queen under the spinning disco ball. Thank you so much Susan.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
19:47 Feb 18, 2023

Whoa! I wasn’t expecting this. Just incredible in so many ways: the concept, the present and future possibilities and realities, and above all how your words tugged at all my emotions and experiences. The poet in me sighed audibly as I absorbed the metaphoric beauty of “The doctor looks at me like I’m something quaint, like a moth-eaten teddy; something that one used to hug, but now needs consigning to storage. The romantic in me longed for my own past with the love of my life sharing dreams under the stars. And the writer in me both a...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
21:17 Feb 18, 2023

Poet, writer, romantic: your tag words could describe me too! If you're a happy reader then I'm a happy writer. I really enjoyed all the dialogue in your story, something I work hard at, whereas long narrations with bucket loads of imagery I seem able to slosh around merrily ( like now) 🤣 I'm very happy to have you as a reader.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
08:08 Feb 17, 2023

Very moving and lyrical piece. Raises all kinds of relevant questions. You conveyed the sense of a life well- lived in all its frailty and jubilation. There was always a pulsing heart before technology took over. Something of pathos in this story too. I suppose the overwhelming question is at what point do we consider there might be a reason for life to stop existing. Sometimes it might be better to let go and accept the good that has gone before. Really meaningful.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
21:27 Feb 18, 2023

Hi Helen. Thanks for stopping by. Frailty and jubilation: I think those two words sum up what we expect of and hope for in our old age. Yes, all sorts of questions; thinking too much about the future which is coming knocking does that to you, doesn't it?! I'm glad you found it meaningful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:56 Feb 16, 2023

Very speculative. With technology, we've gotten a grip on all sorts of human ailments and misery, and replaced them with an aging epidemic. Can technology further help us manage that? This story shows us one way, with AI that can examine and react much faster than any human surgeon. But should technology do this? The narrator has massive doubts. But it's not an easy question to answer. I'm sure for every hesitant person you'll also find a grateful volunteer. So what is this story about? Is it a dystopian medical nightmare where we surren...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
05:42 Feb 17, 2023

Hi Michal, this story could have gone in countless different directions. I know you too are fascinated by the opportunities but also the perils AI might bring us as humans. And we're on the cusp of it at the moment, or that moment just after- where it's afoot ( early morning here in Germany and the words are still slumbering!). It's exciting and daunting to envisage the future that's almost upon us, or is upon us; medical advances have brought a world of opportunity but I wanted to tease out some of the darker strands, especially in relatio...

Reply

Michał Przywara
00:17 Feb 25, 2023

Congrats on the shortlist! Well deserved :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
06:39 Feb 16, 2023

What happens when every last part of you, where you hold precious memories formed by your senses, begin to get replaced by smart patches? Maybe your AI-controlled form will last forever, but would that be a life worth living? Would it even be a life? You have brought alive very scary and plausible dilemmas in this story, Rebecca. The pace is perfect and the language is beautiful. I especially liked the evocative paragraphs wherein the POV character recounts the moments from his AI-free life. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
08:10 Feb 16, 2023

Hi Suma. These sort of stories just raise so many questions, don't they? I found myself having to edit quite a few out as I realised poor David is as overwhelmed as the reader by everything happening to him. Thanks so much for noticing the recount sections. I really hoped they would help build the pathos of his character and everything he might stand to lose. Perhaps if we read these stories now, think, consider, then we can be ready to enagage and shape an AI medical future which will be not like the one envisaged here. I can't imagine anyt...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.