92 comments

Drama Fantasy Gay

This is the last part of Before I go! It might make more sense if you read the first two, but it's fine on it's own too. Enjoy! 


This was supposed to be the happiest day of their lives. And it would've been, if I didn't have to kill the groom.

Micheal just left after telling me my mission. The princess is going to marry someone for an alliance, and I'm supposed to make sure that it doesn't happen.

I'm sneaking into the castle now. It's dark out, which is helpful. I'm surrounded by shadows, and I walk right by the guards.

It's been seven years since the last time the shadows took over. I killed a man in front of his son. That was the last time I saw...never mind. I went to a different kingdom the first chance I got. I never have to see him again. And...that's fine.

I get through the doors, and I'm surprised that there aren't many guards inside. I sneak past, and up the stairs, towards the groom's room. I try the door, but it's locked.

I guess I could pick the lock, but he'll probably hear me. So I guess I'm going through the window.

Because it's a castle, the room has a huge balcony. The room is blocked off by thick curtains I push to the side. The groom is sitting on a chair in front of a mirror.

He has long curly hair that falls past his shoulders. He definitely looks like a prince, though he looks miserable.

Suddenly a knife flies at my head. I deflect it with mine. He must have seen me in the glass. He stands, facing me.

"What do you want?" He demands.

I stay silent. He can't see my face, I'm wearing a mask under a hood. My entire outfit is black, including gloves and boots. My old outfit had too many troubling memories. I kept my knife, though. I'd never get rid of that.

I charge towards him, my knife raised. He surprised me by swinging his fist, and hitting my jaw. He smacks my wrist, making the knife drop.

I snarl, and let shadows wrap around him, holding him in the air.

"Jeez." I mutter. I go to the mirror, raising my mask a bit to check my face. It looks fine, but there will definitely be a bruise tomorrow.

The groom is trying to say something, so I uncover his mouth, but pick my knife up.

"What?" I snap.

"Leo?" He gasps.

I freeze. I haven't been called that in years. And the only person that called me that, was...

"Carlos?" I whisper, lowering my weapon.

He looks shocked. He probably is. I am. I didn't think I would ever see him again.

The shadows wrapped around him drop, and he stands up.

"Leo-"

I put my hand up. "Stop. I-I can't let you go a third time. I have to do this."

"I know, but-where have you been? I've been looking for you, but.."

I close my eyes. "Carlos. Please. You're just making this harder."

"Okay." He says, nodding. "Go ahead."

I bring the tip of my knife to his chest, my hand trembling. I bite my lip to hold back tears. All I have to do is kill him. I’ve done this hundreds of times. 

But I can't do it. I still love him. After seven years, I still love him. This is why I hate feelings. 

The knife clatters to the floor. Against my attempts to fight it, tears roll down my face.

He should hate me. I don't know why he doesn't. I've nearly killed him at least four times, I killed his father in front of him, I left him heartbroken, I-

"Leo, calm down." He says, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I let him pull me to him, and I sob into his shirt.

"I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry." I whisper.

He pulls away to look at me. "Leo, it's okay."

"No it's not, I shouldn't have killed him, I-"

"Leo, really, it's fine."

I look up at him through the tears. "How?"

"How what?"

"How can you still care about me? All I do is hurt you, but you don't hate me."

He frowns. "You never hurt me."

"I left you twice, without ever planning on seeing you again. This the second time I've been sent to kill you. Why don't you hate me?"

"Because you didn't kill me." He says. "That's why I love you. I would go anywhere if I could be with you."

I sit on the bed, and put my face in my hands. Vex won't let me get away with this. But I won't be able to kill Carlos. I never can.

"Leo.." He touches my shoulder, but I pull away.

"Please, just give me a second." I say.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to leave him ever again. But I can't leave the assassin group. It's a life commitment.

I look up at him. "Carlos, I don't know what to do."

"What do you mean?" He asks, sitting next to me.

"I-I want to stay with you. But I'm bound to the assassin group for life."

"Leo, you don't have to leave for me."

I shake my head. "I want to."

"Really?" He says. He sounds surprised.

I nod. "I do. But Vex..."

"Who?"

"He's the leader. I don't think he'll let me go."

He looks down. "Oh."

"He might." Someone says.

We look up. Standing in front of the curtain, are Vex and Micheal.

I stand immediately. "Vex."

"Hello, Rez. Or should I call you Leo?"

"Rez is fine." I say.

I've only met Vex a couple of times. He's kind of scary.

He doesn't look like it, though. He's tall and thin, with dark hair and light skin. He wears simple clothes, and has a sword at his side. He holds himself like a knight, and, from what I've heard, is much better than most. He always knows what you're thinking.

"You want to leave the group?" He asks. Micheal sits on the chair in front of the mirror, checking his reflection.

I nod. "Yes."

"Why?"

"I-I want to stay with Carlos." I say.

Vex glances at him. I don't think he knows what's happening, but he keeps quiet. "He is more important than your promise?"

"Yes."

He doesn't seem surprised, but I can never tell with him. He keeps his face in the same bored expression.

"And why is that?" He asks.

I look down. "I love him."

Vex is quiet for a moment. Then he says, "I thought part of your training was to not fall in love."

"It was."

"Do you remember why?"

"It makes you weak and vulnerable." I say, reciting one of the many things I was taught. "But...I don't care. I just want to stay with him."

After a second, Vex's face softens. "I understand. You do anything for those you love."

His eyes flicker to Micheal for a second, and my jaw drops in surprise. He gives me a warning look, and I close it.

"If you truly want to, you can leave the group." He says.

"Seriously?"

He nods. "But you must leave this kingdom. They will look for him."

"Of course." I say, trying not to grin.

"And if we ever need help, can we go to you?"

I nod. "Yes."

"Then you are free of your promise."

I sigh in relief. "Thank you so much."

"And here, your father left this for you." He says, reaching into his pocket.

He pulls out then hands me a gold ring. I remember seeing my dad wear it all the time.

"Thank you." I repeat, going to take it from him.

I pick it up, but his fingers close around my wrist. He leans down, and says softly, "Don't lose him."

"I won't." I promise. "You don't either."

That makes him smile. He lets go of me, and Micheal walks over.

"Bye, Rez." He says.

I smile. "Bye Michael."

Micheal takes Vex's hand, and they disappear.

I turn to Carlos, who's grinning. "It worked."

"I know!" I say. I'm so glad. I wrap my arms around his neck, and kiss him hard.

"I missed you." He says.

I smile. "I missed you too."

"Ready?"

I nod. "Let's go."

 I hope nobody was going to try to stop us. Because by then, it was too late.


November 20, 2020 17:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

92 comments

19:17 Nov 23, 2020

Sorry, this is a bit random but... Connor Lassiter? Aka, the Akron AWOL???

Reply

Ari Berri
19:20 Nov 23, 2020

Yes. The unwind series is one of my favorites.

Reply

19:22 Nov 23, 2020

Oh cool! Mine too! I’ve only read the first one so far, but I’m hoping to read the others sometime soon.

Reply

Ari Berri
19:27 Nov 23, 2020

You definitly should. Neal Shusterman is a great author.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sophia Thorne
14:37 Nov 21, 2020

Ohh you got me hooked with the opening sentence: "If I didn't have to kill the groom." Sadly, the ending felt a little rushed, but I totally get that as its the moment where you just want to finish the story and be done with it. I enjoyed this story (I'm a sucker for assassin-falls-in-love-with-target stories so thats great!) Username for Divergent! I love that series ;) I always thought Caleb was a little misunderstood. If you like fantasy/romance story, I'd love it if you could maybe check out my first story, "Loving the Moon"? Keep...

Reply

Ari Berri
17:31 Nov 21, 2020

I'm glad you liked it! Yeah, it was a little rushed, I wanted to get it done. I'll definitly check out your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marcail Nevaeh
22:07 Nov 25, 2020

From Harry Potter!

Reply

Ari Berri
22:16 Nov 25, 2020

You got it!

Reply

Marcail Nevaeh
23:54 Nov 25, 2020

Is it Lev?

Reply

Marcail Nevaeh
23:54 Nov 25, 2020

Unwind

Reply

Ari Berri
00:25 Nov 26, 2020

Yes! You're good.

Reply

Marcail Nevaeh
17:51 Nov 26, 2020

Thanks reading is my life!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

OMG! Love all ur stories! FINALLY YOU HAVE 100+ FOLLOWERS! YOU ARE SO GOOD AT THIS! STAY SAFE! SQUEEEEEEEEEE

Reply

Godric Gryffydoooorr of harry potterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Reply

Ari Berri
14:43 Nov 23, 2020

Thank you! Also, yes, you got it.

Reply

. .
13:01 Nov 24, 2020

I smell scythe!!!

Reply

Ari Berri
15:29 Nov 24, 2020

You got it!

Reply

. .
15:30 Nov 24, 2020

I saw it and I was like, OOOOOOOH YEAH!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amel Parvez
15:46 Dec 20, 2020

I just love all your stories.

Reply

Ari Berri
15:46 Dec 20, 2020

Thank you! That means a lot.

Reply

Amel Parvez
15:49 Dec 20, 2020

😁💙

Reply

Amel Parvez
21:04 Dec 20, 2020

Hey, u hv read fault in our stars! Augustus waters and Hazel grace💜💜💜 It's one of my favourites. And the most saddest part when Augustus died in the end.

Reply

Amel Parvez
18:29 Dec 21, 2020

Am I not right????????

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Magdalene Lam
07:11 Dec 08, 2020

Does Vex have a nose? Sorry for the funny question, I just got a impersonation of Lord Voldemort from that guy, I think Michael might be Bellatrix though.

Reply

Ari Berri
15:22 Dec 08, 2020

He does, but I get what you mean.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
William Liu
21:08 Nov 25, 2020

New name is someone from harry potter

Reply

Ari Berri
21:09 Nov 25, 2020

Right again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marcail Nevaeh
20:31 Nov 25, 2020

Demigod son of Apollo?!

Reply

Ari Berri
20:32 Nov 25, 2020

...yes...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:29 Nov 25, 2020

This isn't a comment about the story (sorry) but I think I might know your name?? Are you Chris from PJO? he went insane in the labyrinth?

Reply

Ari Berri
15:27 Nov 25, 2020

You got it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
William Liu
21:27 Nov 24, 2020

Charlie Weasley from harry potter?

Reply

William Liu
21:29 Nov 24, 2020

am I right idk I don't read harry potter but I heard about the Weasleys and him I think?

Reply

Ari Berri
21:34 Nov 24, 2020

Yeah, you are!

Reply

William Liu
21:35 Nov 24, 2020

yay :D

Reply

William Liu
21:36 Nov 24, 2020

I read your whole Devil series before I made an account lel

Reply

Ari Berri
21:37 Nov 24, 2020

Really? Did you like them?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marcail Nevaeh
19:19 Nov 23, 2020

YOUR NAME IS FROM UNWIND!!!!

Reply

Ari Berri
19:21 Nov 23, 2020

It is! It's one of my favorite series.

Reply

Marcail Nevaeh
19:22 Nov 23, 2020

Mine tooo!!

Reply

19:24 Nov 23, 2020

MUSHU! Oh you stinker. I just told you that! XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Gip Roberts
20:27 Nov 21, 2020

This story focused on maybe four characters total, and one intense scene. That made it easy to follow, and thus easy to relate to and care about the people in it. Also, as others have already noted: The opening paragraph is a real attention getter. Nice job, and thanks for your feedback on my story.

Reply

Ari Berri
21:07 Nov 21, 2020

Thank you! And no problem.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya W.
18:50 Nov 21, 2020

Hey, uh...I'm not entirely sure what your name really is! But hey! Nice work here. I really liked the opening lines and your overall creativity with this prompt. I wrote two stories this week, would you mind giving them a read?

Reply

Ari Berri
21:06 Nov 21, 2020

Thank you! I will definitly check out your stories, though I might not get around to it till next week.

Reply

Maya W.
21:10 Nov 21, 2020

That's alright!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Ulrich
18:25 Nov 21, 2020

This story is awesome. I know it's already been said, but the opening line was amazing. Good job. There was another reason I read your story- I was looking through your bio and saw Neal Shusterman as one of your favorite authors. I don't know a lot of people who know him, which is frustrating because he's a great author. You have my respect for reading his books.

Reply

Ari Berri
18:30 Nov 21, 2020

Thank you! I love Neal Shusterman's books, and I wish more people read them. Which are your favorites from him?

Reply

Kate Ulrich
18:36 Nov 21, 2020

My library doesn't carry a lot of his books, but I finished the Unwind series. Next I'm hoping to read the Skinjacker trilogy. What have you read?

Reply

Ari Berri
21:05 Nov 21, 2020

Unwind, Skinjacker, Shadow Club, The Schwa was here, and the Scythedom series.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
23:01 Nov 20, 2020

Divergent Again. Caleb the traitor.

Reply

Ari Berri
23:16 Nov 20, 2020

Yep. I'm not sure for yours...

Reply

. .
16:56 Nov 22, 2020

Think a book-house or library.

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
16:56 Nov 22, 2020

With games

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
01:47 Feb 18, 2021

Wow, just pure wow! Ok, now I can talk!, this was so well crafted, all three stories, my favourite was the first!, tho seven years is a loooooooooong time don’t you think? Tho I don’t care much ‘cause the story carried such a punch!

Reply

Ari Berri
21:02 Feb 18, 2021

Thanks! Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
04:41 Nov 26, 2020

<removed by user>

Reply

Ari Berri
10:00 Nov 26, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
22:54 Nov 25, 2020

Kane Chronicles, lol.

Reply

Ari Berri
22:57 Nov 25, 2020

Right!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
19:13 Nov 25, 2020

Halfborn from magnus chase lol

Reply

Ari Berri
19:14 Nov 25, 2020

Yep.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
01:53 Jan 24, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Ari Berri
02:48 Jan 24, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.