3 comments

Science Fiction Fantasy

(3/3 chapter 1)


After being unconscious for three and a half months, the doctors prepared to remove Rune from the stasis chamber he had stayed in for so long. Lyris stood nearby, Orlan said he couldn’t come. He had work. As on the first day when Rune arrived, Admiral Gallas stood close as well. The doctor touched something on the keyboard in front of him and the liquid inside the glass chamber lowered, Rune’s limp figure slumped against the glass as he was lowered to the ground. The liquid from inside rolled off Rune’s gleaming black metal arm. He wore no shirt and his right side was now metal where flesh had once been. His right side had been so badly lacerated, it was all replaced with the gleaming black metal. There was a bandage wrapped around his head where they had placed the chip that connected Rune to his new limbs; otherwise, he wouldn’t be able to control them.

The nurses lifted his limp body and placed him gently in another glass chamber, but this one lying horizontal, the glass slid over the bed and a screen appeared on it, the spikes of his heart rate scrolling across it. Lyris breathed a sigh of relief. Rune would soon wake, heal and Admiral Gallas would put him back to work. His near death experience wouldn’t delay him much longer.

It was another two days before Rune’s heartbeat spiked and his eyes flickered open. The doctor slid open the glass, watching Rune’s sluggish eyes roam the room. Before Rune could voice the question he was thinking, the doctor answered; the soldiers always asked the same thing when they were taken from the field. “you are in Zenith. All your men are safe.” A crease appeared between Rune's brows. “how long has it been?” He whispered, his voice rough. The doctor thought for a moment. “You were in stasis for three and a half months, then a few more days for your sedative to wear off completely.” Rune stared in disbelief. “why?” He asked. The doctor allowed a faint smile on his face.

“Rafrane and her team were building your cybernetic limbs.” the doctor’s response pulled Rune from his sluggish stupor. “Was it really that bad?” realizing what the doctor's words meant, he scooted up a fraction. “He didn’t decommission me?” He whispered, almost to himself. The doctor shook his head. “Would you like to see?” He asked.

Rune didn’t answer, but the doctor reached down and gently unwound the cloth that he had covered Rune’s metal limbs with earlier on. Rune stared in wonder at the glistening metal where his arm used to be. He slowly sat up, swinging his legs over the side of the bed. He curled his fingers and lifted the side of his light grey shirt. His side moved in and out with his breath, the metal designed to flex with his breathing. “why did he still do this for me if I disobeyed him and failed my first mission?” The doctor shrugged. “Will you be wanting to return home?” Rune nodded and stood, the doctor gripped his forearm to prevent him from falling. Rune took an unsteady step towards the exit, before exiting, he stopped in front of the full-body mirror and examined himself. There was a thick, white scar across his right cheekbone and a spiderweb of tiny scars on his neck, with a flash of fear, he remembered the blood. Everywhere, it had coated his fingers, sliding down them like molten metal. He clenched his jaw and pushed the thoughts away, continuing out the door. The doctor trailed him as he stumbled down the bridge toward his home.

Lyris sat on the front porch, watching the children play on the ground below. She heard unsteady footsteps and glanced up. The golden, but artificial light shone behind the two figures slowly approaching. The two of them may had only been silhouettes, but Lyris instantly recognized her adopted son.

She stood, her book falling to the floor, and rushed to him, ignoring the way the bridge swayed under her quick movement. Rune allowed his adopted mother to embrace him for a moment, then gently pushed her away. “I’m alright, Lyris.” He said, stopping her stream of questions. She smiled. “Come in, I have prepared dinner, I will call the other children in.”

As Lyris led Rune away, the doctor waved. “I’ll be back tomorrow!” he called.

Amarillius, Sharn and Tycho all watched Rune with a mix of anger and reverence. They rarely saw their big brother, but when they did, he coldly ignored them. It had been three months since they visited him and he was a sight.

His sky blue hair was tousled, his dark skin more pale than usual. He had some lost weight, his square face was more gaunt than usual. He ate quickly and excused himself to his room.

Rune stood on the balcony overlooking the other homes. He traced the scars on his neck with his metal fingers, his arm gleamed in the silvery light which replaced the warm light every ‘evening’.

The sarsh set their time according to earth time, going to sleep at the same time humans did and waking the same time.

Artificial rain began to fall from the roof, watering the trees and vegetation. Rune turned on his heel and entered his room, dropping onto his hammock, falling into an exhausted slumber.

When Rune awoke, his mind took a moment to remember all that had happened. He rose, dressed and then stood in front of his mirror. His metal arm was fully exposed in the open sleeve of his tunic, his leg gleamed. He walked with a slightly unsteady gait, a limp, but he chose to ignore it.

Rune left that day with his father, just as he did everyday. When they reported for duty, Admiral Gallas was there again. “How are your limbs treating you?” He asked. “Just fine, sir.” Rune responded. Admiral Gallas studied him, a slight sheen of sweat shone on his face, he showed no sign of discomfort or weariness.

The admiral saw the slight impression of Rune’s ribs that showed past his tunic. “Take the day off, soldier. You need to rest and regain your strength.” Rune opened his mouth to protest, but Admiral Gallas fixed a stony stare on his face. “That’s an order, lieutenant.” Rune wasn’t happy about it, but he turned and left.

As he walked among the trees below his house, Rune heard footsteps approaching. He turned. It was a general. His eyes seemed oddly dull, but Rune ignored it.

He greeted the man respectfully. “Has the Admiral changed his mind?” he asked, a little sarcastically.

“Admiral Gallas has ejected you.” The general’s voice was almost robotic, but Rune paid no attention to his voice, only his words. “what?” he choked. The general gripped his wrist. “You and you siblings are to leave immediately. You have been ejected from Zenith’s ranks and are to leave immediately.”

Rune’s mind tripped as he caught up with what the General was saying. “Why would Admiral-?” The general shook his head. “Admiral’s orders.” “That doesn’t make any sense,” Rune cried. “why would he promote me to cybernetic soldier just to eject me?”


The general froze, his face looked panicked and confused at the same time. Suddenly, he said; “I need backup.” into his wristguide. Rune shook his head, ripping his arm from the sarsh’s grip. He turned and fled, the general’s shout didn’t stop him. Something was wrong with the general, the Admiral wouldn’t have the electronic spend three months making him new limbs if he was only going to eject Rune, he wouldn’t promote Rune to cybernetic soldier if he was going to get rid of him, something wasn’t right.

Rune growled in frusration as he heard the general just behind him and the voices of other men approaching. He took a sharp turn and snagged his metal fingers on a low branch just above him. He used his running momentum to swing himself into the tree, the strength of his cyberlimbs amazed him. He climbed, his jaw set and his mouth in a grim line. Something definitely wrong with the general, but he had to get to the Admiral and sort this mess out.

The general and a dozen sarsh tracked with Rune, he traveling swiftly through the branches above their heads. “stop running!” the general shouted. “you will only get yourself into more trouble.” Rune froze, hanging from a branch just above the group of sarsh. If he got in more trouble, they might eject him for real, but if he stopped, the general would force him off the ship now. He growled and dropped from the tree, landing with such force, he left two foot-size indents in the soft dirt. “Fine.” he gritted out, his teeth grinding together, his fangs dug into his chin. “I need to go home before I go anywhere.” the general fixed his dull eyes on him. “very well.” he permitted.


Amarillius heard several people approaching, she sat in her room, but the window on the far wall looked over the porch. She rose and approached the window. Rune was walking with a dozen sarsh, his lips pressed into an angry line. She frowned. Something must have gone wrong at his work. She left her room and slid down the ladder to the kitchen. Rune was shouting at someone. Someone mentioned the word ‘ejected’ several times. She pushed open the door and stepped out onto the porch. “What’s going on?” she asked. All the men’s shouting stopped and Rune turned to his sister. “Amarillius, get Sharn and Tycho. We’re leaving.”

She furrowed her brow. “Where are we going?” Rune shook his head and didn’t answer. “All of you need to pack your things.”

Amarillius shook her head, not understanding. “where-?” Rune rounded on her. “Just do it!” he shouted, his metal fingers raked through his hair, bumping his ears. “We have to go now!” The girl’s eyes welled with angry tears, she took a step back. “fine.” she said.

Sharn was running around in the backyard, Tycho laughing on his back. They stopped when Amarillius stepped onto on the porch, gazing down on them with wet eyes. “Come inside, boys.” Tycho slid off Sharn’s back and ran to the house, climbing the ladder for alarming speed for someone so young. Sharn took off after him, laughing. On the porch, the two boys watched their big sister expectantly. She sighed and swept her sky blue braid over her shoulder.

“Rune is taking us somewhere.” she finally said.

Sharn’s brow furrowed. “What?” he asked incredulously. Their big brother never talked to them, much less took them places. “Pack. Now.” Amarillius ordered. Sharn frowned. “what do we need?” He asked. His sister shrugged and took Tycho’s hand. “I’ll ask Rune, but he’s very upset about something.”

The general and the twelve sarsh stood outside the door as Rune entered his home. His siblings were waiting in the kitchen. “How long do we have to pack for?” Amarillius asked quietly, her violet eyes downcast. Rune sighed. “pack anything important to you, as well as all four tunics each.” Sharn took a step forward. “where are we going?” He whispered, shy in the upset gaze of his brother's eyes. “I don’t know.” Rune answered quietly.

When the four siblings packed their belongings, the general led them away from their home and onto a lift. “Where are we going?” Rune growled. The general frowned at him. “You’ll see.” Rune’s fingers curled into fists, he angrily rubbed the scars on his neck, glaring at the general's turned back.

It turned out, they were going to the docking bay. Rune stopped in his tracks as they entered the bay. He sighed, closing his eyes and quelled his urge to hit something. “What will you tell Lyris?” he asked. “does she know?”

the general ignored his question and approached a small transport. “Get in.” He commanded. All Rune’s siblings obeyed silently, taking their seats behind the pilot’s. Rune climbed after them and the cockpit closed. The general and his men watched with anger, but still that odd blankness in all of their eyes, their eyes were narrowed and arms crossed.

Rune was tempted to make a rude gesture toward them, but that would get him in more trouble. His heart seemed to be tied down with stones, dragging him to drown in his own thoughts and emotions. Someday, he would regain his honor, or prove the admiral wrong. Then it struck him, reaching up, his fingers closed around the silver chain around his neck, a sign of his rank. The general hadn’t taken it. He had witnessed another’s ejecting, and he had been stripped of his rank. Why hadn't the general taken it? Something was wrong and he would figure it out, but first he had to get his siblings out of the way.

February 15, 2021 15:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

TJ Squared
23:31 Nov 06, 2021

Runeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I think I'm falling in love with him... anyways... oiuygfghuioiuygtfghjioiuytrfdghuioiuyhgfhjioiuygfcguiytfdftrdxftygvhiuhgvghuhg wowwwwwwwwwwwww I just want to keep reading the bookkkkkkkk it's so suspenseful and yet it's beautiful too. You should publish it, I want to buy itttttttt. so many details and stuffsssssssss yeah...I'm obessing. Grrrrrrrrrreat jobbbbb like alwayssssss!!!

Reply

Creed .
23:39 Nov 06, 2021

Eeeeeeeek!!!! THANK YOU!!!

Reply

TJ Squared
23:41 Nov 06, 2021

no, thank YOU foe coming up with it all :DDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.