24 comments

Fantasy

Today’s the day. It’s finally the first day of spring. I can’t believe it’s been 3 years. So much has happened since then. Mom died. Kaylie graduated high school. Mathew and I broke up. It’s bizarre. I force myself out of bed and go to the living room to see if Dad’s awake. He's sitting there on his phone when he notices me come in. “Want some breakfast sweetheart?” he asks. I shake my head, 

“You stay sitting dad. I’ll make a smoothie.” I reply. It’s only me and him in the house now. I go to a college nearby so dad offered to let me stay at home. Kaylie goes to Stanford, and since it’s her sophomore year, she stays in a dorm. I miss her so much. I miss cuddling with her and remembering mom. I miss having another girl around. Don’t even get me started on missing mom. 

After gathering some frozen strawberries, blueberries, and milk, I pull out the blender to make my smoothie. If only Mom could see me now, finally following her advice on eating healthy. I shake my head to rid myself of the thoughts. There's no use wishing and hoping. 

I check my social media pages as I sip my smoothie. I know I’m just stalling but I don't need to start yet. I just have to do it today. A message from Mathew! It’s been almost 2 years now and he bothers to text me?!

Mathew:Hey Janelle. How you doing. Been a while, huh

Ugh what am I even supposed to say. 

Me: You need something Mathew or what?

Me: Who sends a message after 2 years of silence!

I get offline before his sudden reappearance can make me any more mad. There’s still Instagram and snap-chat to check. Then I’ll start with my day, I promise myself. Five new followers. Nice.

Mathew is following me?! What is up with him! Kaylie. I thought she was already my follower. Oh well. And three random people. There’s time for some internet stalking before I go right? Okay…. Who are you Julia Crimson…….

Recent grad of high school...Going to be a dentist… Ugh...Ooh she's a Gemini like me….And likes to paint. Okay. She passed. I’ll follow her. Now for Steve Harmon. Oh private account, I'm not following him. Lastly, Emily Sherman. Wait a minute...Isn’t that Mathew’s other ex? Hold on…. THEY GOT BACK TOGETHER! I can't believe he moved on so fast. Whatever. Maybe that’s what he’s trying to tell me. Like I care. Time to block him. I don't know why I didn’t do it sooner. 

Quickly, I check my snap-chat and force myself up. I rinse the cup that my smoothie was in and go back up to my room. I stare at my closet. The one day I didn’t prepare an outfit. Figures. After much trying on, I decide on a blue skirt with a white blouse. I put my hair in fishtail braids and put long white socks on. Now for shoes… I wear black flats. I take out the big black backpack that has been sitting in my closet for so long…. It’s time. 

After a quick goodbye to Dad, I make my way outside and get in the car. I turn the key in the ignition. To my relief, it starts. I was afraid something would go wrong. Inhale. Exhale. Deep Breaths. My heart is pounding. I can’t believe it’s the day. It feels like just yesterday that I was given the backpack and the instructions. There’s no time to waste. I have to do it.

It’s a long drive so I packed a snack bag yesterday. Opening it, I take out the ginger candies that mom used to love. As I chew, I turn the volume on the radio up.

“Open your hand”

“No”

“Why not?”

“Well, I don’t know what your going to do with it”

“I need you to trust me Janelle”

“It’s not that easy”

‘I trust you. I trust you so much. In fact i’m going to prove it to you, but you have to prove it to me too”

I turn the music louder as the memories invade my head.

“I thought you loved me!”

“I do….’

“After all we’ve been through… We're blood Janelle!”

***

“You can’t open it until spring sometime after 2018 and before 2021. Do you understand?”

“Yes.”

“Good. I know I can trust you. Do you trust me?”

“...I...I think so.’

“Good”

I park and quickly get out of the car. His voice is still in my head. 

“It has to be remote. No one can see you. You hear me? No one!”

With shaking hands,I take the backpack off my shoulders. Slowly, I unzip the pocket. The first thing I notice is an envelope. All it says on the outside is To:Janelle. I open it up. Some of the ink is wearing away. I can’t make out some of the sentences, but I get the central idea. 


Dear Janelle,


You’ve finally opened it. I trust you enough to know you wouldn’t be late or early. If you followed my directions then it’ s been a while, and I miss you dearly. I know you wonder where I am but I promise you I am safe. I trust Kaylie has graduated? Times must be hard without a sister and taking care of your sick mother.

She was still alive at the time.

Open the package with care.

Then it started to get a little blurry.

No one should                                 trust soon

                                       promise  

 Bye for now,


 Love,                                                                         

  J.S

                                                        

I wipe a tear from my eyes. It’s been so long since I’ve seen his handwriting. I wonder about the missing words, but they can’t be that important. I can’t keep stalling. I made a promise and I intend to keep it. With another shaky breath, I take out the small box that is the only other thing in the backpack. It’s packaged so carefully, wrapped in bubble wrap and in a plastic bag with packing peanuts. After carefully removing the protection from the box, I sit on the ground and prepare myself for the unknown.

The first piece of tape rips off effortlessly and the second is just as easy. There is just one piece left stopping me from opening the box. To my surprise, it takes a little pulling to rip off. I open the box. I gasp as there is suddenly a large amount of wind in the air. There is a light so blinding, I can't even see where it is coming from. I quickly turn the flaps of the box back over. The light and wind disappears. I’m gasping for breath. What was that!?

This time prepared, I open the box again. I hear voices. Soft whispers, barely audible over the winds that have once again come. 

 What are you waiting for?

Jump in!

(giggle giggle)

Silly, she’s too big!

So give her the winds!

I did!

Oh for goodness sake, she’s already shrinking, calm down!

Shrinking! Nonsense. Suddenly, the grass was rising. Oh wait…..I was falling into it! I was actually shrinking, like the voices had said!

We are not voices sweetheart!

So rude!

What if someone called you an animal, would you like that? I mean in all technicalities you are one.

Did I say that out loud? I’m certain I didn’t.

You didn’t hon’ it’s a perk of being a “voice” We can hear thoughts. Now, jump in. We’ve been waiting ages for you to come!

 I had nothing better to do, did I? Being this tiny. I held my breath and climbed the box, slipping in.

Hold on tight!

What am I doing?! I just jumped into a box! Oh my god. Dad will be so worried if I don’t go home! It feels like I’m falling through a hole.

 Calm down. You can get out any time. 

It is not a hole!

Again with the insults!

Were you raised by wolves!

(giggle giggle)

 The feeling of falling suddenly stops. I land on a soft cushion the color of the sun. All around me is white. In the far off distance, I can see a silhouette. 

“J-J-Jack?” I call out. The silhouette turns to face me. It’s him. After all this time. We start running towards each other. He hugs me. I hug back, tears in my eyes. 

“I’ve missed you…” he says. I just continue to cry and smell his smell and feel his clothes. Is he really alive?

“Come on. Follow me” 


We walk off into the blankness and suddenly things start to appear. I just grab onto his hand. I can't believe I’m here. He hasn't aged a day. I can’t wait to tell him everything. But first, I need him to tell me his story. I have a feeling he has a lot to say….


The End



April 03, 2020 22:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

Miles Gatling
01:28 Apr 06, 2020

A dentist... Ugh. Great mystery surrounding the item. That scene was very emotional. Nice one!

Reply

Amany Sayed
02:11 Apr 06, 2020

Thank you! I appreciate it! That's just the way I react when someone tells me they're going to be a dentist, lol. (on the inside of course)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maria Limerick
02:06 Apr 09, 2020

Wow that was so good, it completely pulled me in!! Great descriptions to completely throw the reader into Janelle's life; I feel like there was so, so much in such a short story. Amazing read!

Reply

Amany Sayed
14:43 Apr 09, 2020

Thank you so much! You're so sweet. Glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Brandon Rich
18:10 Apr 06, 2020

This story was so intriguing. Don't shrink away, keep writing!

Reply

Amany Sayed
19:30 Apr 06, 2020

You're so kind! Thank you so much, I will. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

HI AMANY!!! I decided to come back to your first few stories and this is AMAZING! I can definitely see your improvement clearly over all these stories! Thanks for being so inspiring!

Reply

Amany Sayed
11:45 Apr 27, 2021

Lol, thank you! I don't like this story but I'm glad you do. Aw, thanks for always reading my stuff and being so encouraging :)

Reply

Hello! Welcome! Well, I can say I don't like my first story anymore so I won't be surprised about you! You're welcome!!! ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:22 Aug 07, 2020

Hi, Amany! I ran out of your recent stories to read (PLZZZZ. WRIIIIITE. MOOOOORE!) so now I’m doing a marathon of your older stories! So yeah—heads up, you’ll be getting quite a few comments from me. First off all, this ROCKED! Like all your stories, it was a perfect balance of great plot, great characters, and great writing. Terrific job! Onto the next story! ~Aerin

Reply

Amany Sayed
23:06 Aug 07, 2020

Aerin, you literally have no idea how happy this makes me! Both you and Sarah are the literal BEST. Thanks so much for doing this.

Reply

23:47 Aug 07, 2020

Haha, no problem! It was fun 🤩

Reply

Amany Sayed
23:47 Aug 07, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Eian Wright
20:32 Apr 14, 2020

I never quite catched onto who Jack was. The story was good overall. It felt a little bit confusing. There were so many snippets here and there of random stuff. Try to make us care more about the main character and giving us information slowly.

Reply

Show 0 replies
19:40 Apr 05, 2020

I love the transition from a completely normal day to the detail of her opening the backpack. The dialogue was great in keeping the story engaging. Very well written overall.

Reply

Amany Sayed
19:43 Apr 05, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

19:45 Apr 05, 2020

Thank you for sharing your creativity! Keep on writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
15:49 Sep 06, 2020

I liked this story a lot and you did great with it ^^ i've been going down and reading some of your other stories since i really liked the stories of yours that ive seen so far. This was your first story here yet it was already really great just like all your stories on here as well ^^ i also really liked the names you chose for this story and really all of the other names you've used in your other ones besides this. so can you guess what i'm going to give you and this story now? :) this gets a 10/10 ^^ It was still your first story but you ...

Reply

Amany Sayed
14:02 Sep 08, 2020

Thank you so much! This is my least favorite of mine, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks, I work hard on names! Yay, thank you!

Reply

B. W.
14:04 Sep 08, 2020

No problem ^^ i was also wondering if you could maybe help me with something?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:44 Oct 20, 2020

Where it all started....

Reply

Show 0 replies
01:39 Oct 09, 2020

Hi

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:38 Aug 11, 2020

Nice!!!

Reply

Amany Sayed
20:43 Aug 11, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.