9 comments

Fiction Science Fiction

So everyone, this really doesn't have anything to do with this prompt, but I didn't know how else to get it to you guys, so here it is. I hope you like it- Rune.


Rushing people.

Thousands of voices turned meaningless.

All the world hastened to find its way.

Not a single person said any mind to the looming tower in the center of everything. If they knew what was happening there, they would all stop the frenzy. Go, go, go, they think. But no, if they knew, the world would come to a standstill.

Killian Berric was a massive man. Not fat, but muscle and sheer height. With a shaved head and fathomless dark eye, he was a formidable man. But he was also very intelligent, and that made him even more dangerous.

Today was a momentous day for Killian. The day he had been waiting on for the past fifteen years. “Killian! It’s ready for activation!” The large man’s dark eyes flicked up. He sat at his desk on the top level in the largest building in all the city. He leapt to his feet with surprising agility and swept past the younger and smaller man. “We must begin the sequence now!” He commanded.

Fifteen years. That’s a long time to prove yourself. Fifteen years ago that very day, Killian had another momentous day, but this one was shared with his former co-worker and friend, Tyrene. Together, they had created something legendary. An AI inside an android body. Yes, in a world that revolves around technology, this may have not seemed world-changing. That is, if they hadn’t done the impossible. The android they had created was more technologically advanced than anything the world had ever seen. She had the strength of twelve elephants, able to lift several cars at a time. Her sight and hearing could go for miles if she chose and she looked to be an infant. Of course, she would grow, but only to the age of fifteen. She could feel just as humans felt, except for pain.

Immediately, Killian wanted to use her for militant purposes, to fight their wars and serve their personal assassin. But Tyrene refused and stole the girl away when she was still only a baby. Killian never saw him again, nor the girl, but he was left to take the world’s hate. They said that they had hidden the android away for their own purposes, that Killian was still in league with Tyrene. They stripped him of his status, possessions and cast from the high tower he had built.

He made himself a goal and for the next fifteen years; he worked toward it. If he remade the android, but better and allowed it to be used for the US’s gain, his respect and status would be restored to him. And then, he succeeded.

Killian strode through the corridors, so many twists and turns, it was like a maze. But he knew where he was going.

A white room.

A glass chamber, inside it hung Killian’s life work. It was nine feet tall, it body sleek and complex, the black metal gleaming in the artificial lights overhead. It was humanoid, but instead of two arms hanging at its sides, four. Its face was blank at the moment, when woken, there would be two purple eyes and a thin mouth, more like a speaker.

The glass chamber sat in an empty room, one large window on the wall showed two scientists studying the android’s behavior and vitals. Behind them, stood Killian. “begin the sequence.” He ordered.

Fingers tapped across keyboards, voices murmured. Only minutes away was Killian’s dream, no longer a dream. Steam hissed and filled the glass, the glass slid down. The steam billowed out.

Clank. The first uncertain step.

Clank, clank. Killian took a breath as purple eyes glowed in the steam. Then he emerged. The black metal glistened and water droplets rolled off his form. His eyes fixed on the window. Taking slow steps, it approached. Killian pushed the scientists aside to get closer.

“Who am I?” the android’s voice was rough and dangerous, but curious. Killian smiled.

“You are Titan.” He replied. The holes that served as pupils in the android’s eyes tightened as they focused on the large man behind the glass. “Who are you?” He asked. Killian’s brow furrowed, he turned to the scientists. “Shouldn’t he already know these things? Who he is, who I am and his purpose?” “what is my purpose and where am I?” The android asked from behind Killian. The scientists shrugged in response to Killian’s question. “We knew this might happen. He may get the information later on, or you might have to tell him.” Killian sighed and turned back to Titan. “I am Killian Berric, your creator. You are in Alvatris tower and your purpose is to learn. Then your purpose will be to become a soldier. To fight our wars and bring peace to mankind.” The android’s eyes narrowed thoughtfully. “analyzing data files including soldiers and war, please hold on a moment.” Killian frowned at the scientists. “Who taught him to say please?” All the scientists shrugged again, it seemed their preferred response. Killian’s head whipped back as Titan made a noise like a cough. “What is it?” the large man asked. “I will not.” He android stated matter-of-factly. Killian shook his head, not understanding. “Will not what?” The android stepped a pace back. “I will not fight. I will not hurt any living thing. I refuse to fight for you or any of your followers.”

“What went wrong?” Killian asked, pacing in front of the developers and scientists, barely containing his rage. They all shook their heads. One of them replied; “He is so advanced, he truly does have his own emotions and thoughts. He decided he didn’t want to fight, so he won’t.” Killian growled and turned to where the android hung, deactivated. Killian had been so close and now because Titan was too advanced, he made a choice not to fight. But he would. Killian would make the android fight. He would not give up now.

Wires strung everywhere.

Large hand at the most delicate job.

Killian stood in front of the android, still suspended inside the glass chamber, but the glass now open. Killian was carefully recalibrating Titan’s mind to listen and obey. No matter what he felt, he would have to listen to Killian’s orders.

It took another day and a half of meticulous work for Killian to succeed. Standing behind the glass, once again watching the android, his face conveyed no emotion, but his heart pounded. This time it had to work.

Steam billowed.

Eyes riveted where the android would appear.

The steam dissipated to reveal the empty glass chamber, and nothing else. Killian leaned forward. “where did he go?” His question was answered when the robot dropped from the roof, his mouth turned up in what could be a smile. He stood so close, the metal rings in his eyes were visible as they shifted, taking in each of the spectators. Killian frowned. Was the android toying with them? “You are Killian Berric.” The android said. Killian nodded. “and you are?” “I am Titan.” Killian nodded. “What is your purpose?” He asked. Titan’s pupils tightened. “To bring peace to mankind.” Killin smiled. “He’s ready.”

Later that day, Killian stood gazing through the window as Titan roamed the room, inspecting every inch. Then the android approached the window, placing each of his four slender hands on the glass. “why do you separate me from the outer world?” he asked. “how am I to fulfill my purpose if I am trapped in this room?” Killian shook his head. “deactivate him.” He commanded to the scientist who stood scrawling data on a clipboard. Then he turned and stormed away. Even after recalibrating him, his own creation challenged him.

Titan watched the scientists enter the room. “Time to deactivate.” He said. Titan shook his head, a gesture he learned from Killian. “I will not be deactivating tonight, I must fulfill my purpose.” the scientist furrowed his brow, he opened his mouth to speak, but the android wove around him, to the door. The scientist smiled. “You cannot get out, that’s reinforced titanium. You can’t break it.” Titan turned his head to the scientist, then he delivered a mighty blow to the door with all four of his hands and the door flew off its hinges. Titan flexed his wrists, still watching the scientist. “you were saying?” the android said with a hint of humor in his voice. He left the room, picking up the door again and slamming it back onto its hinges. It was stuck tight. “you may deactivate if you like.” Titan said as he left.

Killian, who had not gone very far, heard the deafening crash when Titan knocked down the door. He turned and rushed back. Titan was already out of the laboratory and stood gazing out a large window in the hall. “Titan!” Killian roared. “Get back in that room!” Titan twitched and his eyes narrowed, but he stayed where he was. “No.” He finally said. “I must fulfill the purpose you gave me. I must bring peace to mankind.” The android turned, looking down at his creator. “I will return.” then, Titan smashed out the window and tumbled out into the night air.

Titan straightened his legs toward the pavement, he landed with such force; the ground cracked and he left an enormous crater. Still, the android was unfazed. He passed many people, who stared after him, but he ignored them. A few moments later, there was a massive hole in the chainlink and barbed wire fence and Titan stood just beyond it, watching the endless stream of vehicles. He bent his legs, his four arms bent at his side. As a tractor trailer passed, he jumped. He landed silently on top of it. His fingers stuck through the metal as he gripped the roof. He crawled towards the cab and dropped into the gap between the cab and trailer. He touched the metal with each of his hands, they slowly heated up until they were white with heat. The metal hissed and peeled back. Only moments later, a there was a hole large enough for him to duck through.

As the android sat in the rocking truck, he heard helicopters overhead and his mouth turned up in a smile. Killian was looking for him, but he would not find him. Fortunately for the runaway android, that particular tractor trailer was going far. As night fell, and everything plunged into darkness, Titan’s eyes glowed their eery color as he searched through all his data files. He learned of everything human and he learned of himself. He had fulfilled his first purpose. He learned. Now it was time to bring peace.

February 09, 2021 16:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Eddie Thawne
16:18 Feb 17, 2021

Great. I loved this story. Can't wait to read more from you!

Reply

Creed .
16:28 Feb 17, 2021

Thank you, I am working on the second part now.

Reply

Eddie Thawne
16:35 Feb 17, 2021

You're welcome. Good to know.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
AntMan 🐜
21:17 Feb 16, 2021

Great story! I love all of the ones I have read so far, and I can't wait for more! I also like how you set it in 3rd person and made it about someone's life's work. I could almost literally put myself in Killian's shoes. Again, I love your stories!❤

Reply

Creed .
21:25 Feb 16, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
22:48 Nov 06, 2021

very interesting one! It's like your name currently, Titan. A cool name at that. Sci-Fi is a fun genre to explore, and you did it marvelously! Supa job :DDD

Reply

Creed .
23:39 Nov 06, 2021

Tank you, Titan is one of my favorite names!

Reply

TJ Squared
23:41 Nov 06, 2021

i can see why :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Creed .
20:02 Mar 08, 2021

So, there are actually a lot of mistakes in this story, but I can't fix it anymore, such as: The android went into the truck, but in part 2, he's on top of it, which is wrong. There are also a few grammar mistakes, but oh, well.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.