Contest #255 shortlist ⭐️

Cheers, Mom.

Submitted into Contest #255 in response to: Start your story with a character in despair.... view prompt

68 comments

Fiction

Cheers, Mom.


One morning before sun-up, I stand in the shower shampoo threatening to drip in my eyes, my heart sinks, my gut clenches and cold sweat breaks out all over my body, only to be mercifully washed away. The thought, ‘Oh, my god! I have to do this 35 more years’, paralyzes me with fear, loathing and despair. I, a virtual princess, should not have to suffer through thirty-five years of indentured servitude. I had, to my surprise, allowed myself to be swept up in the idea of a professional education, never fully understanding that I’d actually have to go to work and make a living.


Right then and there, head still full of lather, I resolve to turn that negative into motivator and make sure I can retire as soon as possible. I curb all excess spending, get a divorce, and buckle down.


My frugality pays off, I manage to put aside a generous enough nest egg so that at 57 I can thumb my nose at all the working stiffs and retire. I am now free to take a couple of trips, indulge in some exotic knitting yarns, get my sewing machine out and teach myself to quilt. Every once in a while I place my tiara on my head, return to my former place of enslavement just to smile at the pale, sleep deprived faces of my former colleagues. There is not a moment I regret my decision.


Yes. Life’s good.


Everything is great, exactly as it should be, isn’t it? Well, almost everything. Since I’m not running around keeping patients and students in line and safe, I realize I’m no longer a perfect size 10. The slacks I used to wear feel a tad snug, but I don’t worry about it, I shrug it off and resolve to “just stop buying Cadbury, for a while.” And next time I go shopping for clothes, I gravitate to anything with a high percentage of Lycra. I tell myself that XL means 10 Luxury. Besides, it’s only a number. I’m a big girl, I don’t let numbers rule my life.


What’s that? I rub my chin and feel something, something that doesn’t wipe away, like a crumb would. What the …! Where is my magnifying mirror? Oh horrors! Where are the tweezers? And I pluck my first chin hair. Oh, pu-leeze! Don’t call it a beard. It’s just one hair. Yes, it’s dark, like the ones on the top of my head and people who don’t need readers yet will notice. From now on, I try to remember to add beard and moustache elimination to my weekly routine. And then I smile ruefully it’s not as if anyone will come close enough to scrutinize my chin.


One day, I go out to dinner with a former colleague. Yes, she’s a good bit younger, but surely not that much younger. When I come back from having washed my hands and sit down to peruse the menu, my friend laughs “The waiter wanted to know if my mother wanted a drink.”


I’m flabbergasted, aghast, dumbstruck, but I, almost graciously, acknowledge that middle age has dropped off the keys and I can no longer ignore the fact that old age is ringing the doorbell. I had hoped nobody would notice, but obviously, I need to answer the door. I’m old. I look old enough to be a thirty-something’s mother.


In the privacy of my bedroom. And let’s face it, it has been very private for decades, I stand in front of my mirror and take stock. If I brush my hair this way, the grey won’t show as much. Maybe I ought to switch to a lotion with retinol, just in case that stuff works. I wonder if wearing oversized tops will compensate for my spreading bottom. Or if wearing leggings, will control the jiggle of my thighs. Of course, the idea of going to a gym, or even taking a walk, never occurs to me. Why would it? I’ve been accused of being too skinny all my life. Working on my figure is just not something this princess ever had to think about.


I sigh, fleetingly think about getting a dog, then turn the mirror to the wall and go in search of a Klondike bar. With the exception of a few minor wake-up calls, getting older has been smooth, has made me believe that I got this. But that’s about to change.


One morning I wake up and can’t get out of bed. Not that I have to go anywhere, of course not, I’m retired. Or that anyone is waiting for me, or that I’m avoiding something, like I did all through third grade. No, my bladder is the only one asking for attention. It’s just that I can’t. For some reason my back is screaming at me.


DON’T MOVE!


As I lie there, I think back to the day before. But I can’t remember doing anything stupid or strenuous. While I’m waiting for my back to give a reluctant green light, I idly wonder, how long I can lie here before I wet the bed. Hmph. Do I really want to find out? And just out of curiosity, I ponder who would be the first to realize that I haven’t been seen in a while. And I can’t think of anyone other than the mail carrier.


So, I grit my teeth, carefully roll out of bed and crawl to the toilet. At the stroke of nine I call the doctor’s office and secure their last open slot for the day. The gods are smiling wryly on me.


A ruptured disk? Me? How? Why? Now what?


Now what? Now I am officially classified as a pain patient. Not that anyone will ever admit to having squeezed me in that slot, but there I am. From here on all my complaints will be shrugged off as either being back-related or med-seeking.


Time marches on. Finally, I am Medicare eligible. I am delighted to not have to pay $500+ per month for the privilege of having minimal coverage. I’m a little slow on the uptake but finally I realize that the pretty card with the blue and red stripes now makes me someone’s grandmother.

Trust me gramma, I know what I’m talking about.

Don’t you worry about that, grandma.

You wouldn’t understand, grandmother.

Well, I think this is what we should do, granny. But … Arms crossed, accompanied by a meaningful, warning look. The implied threat is clear, if you want me to treat you, then you need to do as I say.


The fact that I have slogged through college and graduate school, have decades of experience working in health care, have managed my own affairs my whole adult life, am at least thirty years older than the one dictating my actions is totally irrelevant. I’m on Medicare, therefore I am cognitively impaired. Plus, I have the added label of being a drug-addled pain patient.


Slowly I learn which hoops I have to jump through. Like showing up every month, being subjected to random drug tests just to get a minimum of marginally effective pain medication. And the annual meaningless check-up with bloodletting, whether I want to or not.  

I think this is it. I think my next big event will be when that right hip gives out and I will spend a day crawling to where I think I might have left my phone so I can call 911. But no, there is at least one more surprise. My mother has moved in. Granted, it could be worse, it could have been my father.


First mom is just hanging around in the morning and evening, making sure I brush your teeth, shaking her head ‘are you really going to wear that, today?’ But now she’s everywhere, reminding me to ‘eat my greens’, my least favorite color, tapping on my shoulder, ‘did I remember to take my pills?’ And tut-tutting about wasteful spending. Which is when I tell her hush. ‘It’s my money, mom.’


Fed up with healthcare’s indifference, I now suck up my aches and pains, avoid any and all doctors as much as possible and finally take my mother’s advice. I open another bottle of wine and turn to the mirror. “Cheers, Mom.”

June 14, 2024 20:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

68 comments

Hazel Ide
02:39 Jul 05, 2024

Congratulations on this shortlist! Very well deserved it was great

Reply

Trudy Jas
03:33 Jul 05, 2024

😊 Thank you, Hazel. Delighted you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
01:53 Jul 01, 2024

Cheers to you, Trudy. It takes guts being able to put this down on the "page." Bravo.

Reply

Trudy Jas
01:54 Jul 01, 2024

It has struck a nerve with quite a few ladies, this week. :-) Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:05 Jun 30, 2024

This seems like a personal experience. *hugs* I can't imagine you having all that knowledge and being treated like you know nothing, especially about your own condition. Kudos to you for being able to ignore and push forward. I know I wouldn't be able to tolerate such disrespect. And then later, to be treated like an invalid and child by your own parent?! I hope your situation gets better.

Reply

Trudy Jas
02:15 Jun 30, 2024

Thank you, Samantha. For reading and liking my story. The end, when "Mom moved in" is the fact that we become our parents. The messages our parents feed us all our lives, are so ingrained, we repeat them whether we want to or not. My mother passed in '06, (she was 89) My father in '00 (at 83) But their legacy lives on. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:14 Jun 29, 2024

Well done Trudy!!!

Reply

Trudy Jas
12:21 Jun 29, 2024

Thank you, Derrick. It doesn't get old, does it? :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Myranda Marie
22:16 Jun 28, 2024

Damn girl !!!! You've been busy rocking it !!! P.S.....I'm back this week... see ya soon !! :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:28 Jun 28, 2024

Randi! Welcome back. missed you, girl. Saw that someone already wrote "my" book. Thanks. I'm on a roll. But now that you're back,.... :-)

Reply

Myranda Marie
00:06 Jun 29, 2024

haha...... you have nothing to worry about... you know the judges love you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
15:58 Jun 28, 2024

Well done Trudy! You’re getting in that stride Congratulations HH :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
16:15 Jun 28, 2024

Thanks, Howard. This one came totally out of the blue. Well, last weeks as well. Not that I mind. :-) But there is just no telling what the judges like. So, we keep writing what we like and hope other do too..

Reply

Howard Halsall
18:00 Jun 28, 2024

It’s all we can do :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
18:04 Jun 28, 2024

Will you need a heads up tonight? Be happy to poke you, you know I will. :-)

Reply

Howard Halsall
18:06 Jun 28, 2024

Thank you, but no, not tonight. I'm up and running and in the contest... HH :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
18:08 Jun 28, 2024

Beat me to it. Am I rubbing off on you? Poor you.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
06:39 Jun 28, 2024

There is a lot similarities in this story with troubles my wife is going now ( She is Polio Survivor and has diagnosed the Grayson Symptome). I'll must give her to read this story. It so good.

Reply

Trudy Jas
10:25 Jun 28, 2024

Thank you, Darvico. Sorry to hear about your wife. I hope she'll appreciate the (dark grey) humor.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
10:31 Jun 28, 2024

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TE Wetzel
04:07 Jun 28, 2024

God damn, Trudy. You are so good. This story was great but this line killed me, "I tell myself that XL means 10 Luxury. Besides, it’s only a number. I’m a big girl, I don’t let numbers rule my life." I love that.

Reply

Trudy Jas
10:23 Jun 28, 2024

LOL And the big girl is getting bigger. - wonder what I can convince myself XXL and XXXL means. Thanks, Thomas. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

TE Wetzel
17:52 Jun 28, 2024

Shortlisted again! Nicely done, Trudy.

Reply

Trudy Jas
18:02 Jun 28, 2024

Thanks, Thomas. It's a nice habit to fall into. LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kay Smith
21:38 Jun 27, 2024

Oh. My. Goodness. I think your MC is my doppelganger or I'm hers... Slipped disc, well-- herniated disc-- check Paying $500/month for minimal coverage -- check Being treated like some hypochondriac, pill-seeking batty old lady -- check "Fed up with healthcare’s indifference, I now suck up my aches and pains, avoid any and all doctors as much as possible and finally take my mother’s advice. I open another bottle of wine and turn to the mirror. “Cheers, Mom.”" -- check Obviously, I can relate to your MC so much it's silly! I really enjoyed t...

Reply

Trudy Jas
00:14 Jun 28, 2024

Lol! Thanks, Kay. Sorry to pluck that nerve. Ha no not really. I'm both glad and sorry that you can relate. We ought to bring our mothers and bottle of wine and whine together. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Jenkins
11:08 Jun 26, 2024

Staring down the Medicare thing this very year - and yes, I can relate to, “How did I get here??”

Reply

Trudy Jas
12:21 Jun 26, 2024

It'll be ok, there there. :-) Thanks, Susan. For reading and liking my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AR R
02:15 Jun 26, 2024

As someone who also suffers through the new policy of having to see a quack monthly and pee into cups despite being on the same medications at the same dosage for almost 20 years after a horrendous injury, damn did that part really speak to me. The story also gave me anxiety haha - not a bad thing, considering the subject. And although it was somewhat melancholic - obviously that was the point - it made me a laugh a lot. The frenzied pace did a great job giving the reader a peek at the stream-of-conscious of someone attempting to gracefull...

Reply

Trudy Jas
03:20 Jun 26, 2024

Thank you, AR. I'm glad the attempt at grace came through. And yes, though aging is nothing to sneeze at, we must laugh at ourselves. The alternative is just too messy. Thank you for your comments. Sorry for the anxiety, though. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
12:43 Jun 23, 2024

From a physical point of view, growing old is rarely fun and you captured that so well. More seriously, the MC’s mother sounds like her only friend - whether she realises it or not. In parts, a humorous story but with sad undertones. You showed her despair well. However, getting older has its compensations. You care less what people think and hopefully learn from past mistakes. I hope she will find some light in her dark tunnel. I’m hoping the pain experienced as we get older will be eased by better medical technology - though not much go...

Reply

Trudy Jas
12:48 Jun 23, 2024

Thank you, Helen. You are right on all counts. I do feel I'm becoming my mother, more and more. A woman who was content with all stages of her life. M=eaing she's not just in the mirror anymore. :-) Thank you for reading and your wonderful feedback

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:33 Jun 23, 2024

This is so good!! You've outdone yourself again. It's no fun getting old, but you did manage to write a very amusing story about it. "I tell myself that XL means 10 Luxury." LOL, that a girl! :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
11:44 Jun 23, 2024

Ahm you caught that one. Now what to call XXL :-)( Thank you, SP glad you liked it.

Reply

20:49 Jun 28, 2024

Congrats on another shortlist!! 🥳

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:23 Jun 28, 2024

:-) Thank you, Melissa. Feels good, comes in any size. LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kim Olson
13:55 Jun 22, 2024

Great story! At my age and stage in life, I could relate. The descriptions were excellent and I felt the despair.

Reply

Trudy Jas
14:45 Jun 22, 2024

Thank you, Kim. I appreciate your feedback. Getting older is a daily wake-up call. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Harry Stuart
04:54 Jun 20, 2024

I can hear your writing voice coming through on this one. You highlight truths with candor and well-conceived prose. Cheers to you, Trudy!

Reply

Trudy Jas
11:51 Jun 20, 2024

And cheers to you. Thank you, Harry.

Reply

Harry Stuart
16:08 Jun 28, 2024

Cheers truly are in order! Hope you’re enjoying a celebratory drink! Congrats my friend!

Reply

Trudy Jas
16:16 Jun 28, 2024

Thanks, just about ready to have that glass. Too bad you didn't get the win - Should have.

Reply

Harry Stuart
16:22 Jun 28, 2024

That’s nice of you to say, Trudy. I’ll just have to try again. Be sure to pour an extra full glass for me 😊

Reply

Trudy Jas
17:20 Jun 28, 2024

Done! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
12:42 Jun 19, 2024

This story made me want to put down my computer and sign up for a Pilates class :) Your use of language and your way of telling us the truth in such humorous and yet candid way is a gift. Well done!

Reply

Trudy Jas
13:08 Jun 19, 2024

Pilates?! Oh horrors. That would imply that I could actually do something to improve. :-) Thank you, Karen. Glad I hit the right note.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
05:55 Jun 17, 2024

What a great story, Trudy! This was really well thought out and I loved it. I was fortunate enough to retire young and thank goodness because all the years I spent training to be a professional wrestler (since the age of 13) and lifting weights had taken a toll on my body. I still do the bodybuilding thing, but I need to be careful. Doctor's tell me that I'm too young to have knee problems... but I keep going anyway lol ;) Great job on this story! :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
16:14 Jul 04, 2024

My apologies. Just realized I never responded to your comment. Thanks for the praise. Good for you for having been able to retire early. I can only imagine what damage pro wrestling has done to your body. And yes, I believe you, when you say you keep going back to the gym. Exercise is/can be another form of addiction. Though as addictions go, it's probably the one to have. LOL.

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
21:03 Jul 04, 2024

No Worries...lol And Yes, I have to have surgery on my knee soon because it's just a train wreck, and the first thing I asked them was when I could start lifting weights again...hahaha! Well, when I have it done, I can just write more stories :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:35 Jul 04, 2024

About any nurse Ratchet LOL And don't forget the PT from hell. Your OT will be sweet, of course. (Which ever gender you prefer)😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
07:37 Jun 16, 2024

Yes, Trudi. If you don't move it, you lose it! I cannot identify with this as retirement was never on my bucket list, and I am presently bringing up my third family. The first lot of kids provided six grandkids The second family set up of kids is providing another grandchild soon, and the last two at home, the youngest being 11yrs, keeps my husband and I on our toes. Kids keep you young. And drive you insane. Thank goodness for Reedsy prompts. Writing and reading keeps me sane. I needed a hip replacement after an accident. One year of paink...

Reply

Trudy Jas
11:30 Jun 16, 2024

Thank you, Kaitlyn. For reading and commenting. Glad your hip surgery went well. Ans whether there is "Hope for MC" The annual pysical is nect month, we'll about the hip then. :-)

Reply

20:18 Jun 16, 2024

All the best!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hazel Ide
02:44 Jun 16, 2024

This was amazing. First of all, I love me some exotic knitting yarns. But I also work in health care and even if your nod towards the injustice of our incredibly stunted health care system and insurance was just for the writing, it was great. I felt all the despair. Thanks for sharing. Also, great writing. Cheers.

Reply

Trudy Jas
05:12 Jun 16, 2024

Cheers and thanks. And no, Hazel, it was not "just for writing" I have worked more than 30 years in health care - acute care. the last 27 years in acute psych. And yes, I have seen it (too many time) as a patient. These days, my eyes sight and arthritis in my hands keep me from knitting. You want my stash? Thanks for likeing my story. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
18:12 Jun 15, 2024

I'm a long way from there, but I felt the despair of your main character through the stunningly smooth flow and amazing descriptions. The tone was perfect too. Lovely work !

Reply

Trudy Jas
19:12 Jun 15, 2024

Thanks, Alexis. 🤕🤨😵‍💫😏 It's not for sissies, they say, but I fear we all become sissies at some point. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.