Time and Tide

Submitted into Contest #234 in response to: Write a story about someone whose time is running out.... view prompt

27 comments

Drama Sad

Sometimes the mind frames key moments, discarding everything that happens in between as flotsam. The first time Ed, musician and would be rock star laid eyes on his soon-to-be wife Zoe, had been one such moment.


Zoe had been perched next to Johnny at the bar of his favourite pub, her hair tossed back, laughing. She was all twinkling brown eyes and cascading blond curls. Johnny, not missing a beat, had stood next to her and introduced himself.


Ed hadn’t wanted to crush his friend’s happiness.


Johnny was the bass player in the band Ed had formed and fronted. He also happened to be Ed’s friend from schooldays. Before Zoe, his only friend. The two had shared similar tastes, and apart from the colour of their eyes (Ed’s were blue and Johnny’s were brown) bore more than a passing resemblance. Johnny had been like a younger brother to the more worldly and older Ed. More quirky than rocky, “The Quirkrocks” were building up quite a reputation when Zoe showed up.

***


Johnny had always been the elephant in Ed and Zoe’s marriage. The lurking shadow, preventing honest conversation, the one who came before. Somehow, they papered him over. The man between the cracks.


One day, out of the blue, Zoe had raised Johnny’s name. By then she was in the last months of her life and reshaping boundaries. Time was running out.

“What are you going to do about Johnny?”Ed didn’t know what to say to that one. He didn’t want to think about the future, unable to face what would happen when Zoe had gone.


But for Zoe, the question needed answering.

“Let’s go to the sea. We’ll talk about it there.”

“What, now?” Zoe’s illness had taught Ed to expect the unexpected. Cancer did that. Time was too precious to waste.

“Yes. Now!” Zoe loved the sea. “There’s no time like the present.”

“If you’re sure.” Ed worried the two hour drive might prove taxing. He didn’t want to cause more pain.

“I’ll manage it. We’ll hire a beach wheelchair. A last glimpse before I go.”

DON’T SAY THAT! It might have been easier if he’d believed in an afterlife.


Somehow, they had taken a wrong turn.

“You were right. We should have used the Sat Nav.” A man of extremes, Ed had a love-hate affair with technology, preferring to rely on maps which Zoe hated.

“Surely it can’t be much further!”

“Shush! Listen! Can you hear them?” Zoe was enraptured.

“Hear what?”

”The seagulls. We must be near the coast.”He could hear them now. A squawking cacophony of pecking scavengers riding the skies, willing to stop at nothing.


A few more turns revealed a line of blue-grey sea. Zoe took a breath of sea tang, moved by it, unsure why.


After parking the car, Ed wheeled his wife along the promenade. Every so often, the sun skittered from behind the clouds highlighting a distant helter-skelter, its flag no longer in use.

“Health and safety gone mad again,” Ed snarked.

“But sometimes we need it.” Zoe was thinking of the ramps which would make it possible for her to access the beach in a wheelchair. That would never have happened in another age. Occasionally, things really did change for the better. Getting there might be difficult, but not impossible.


The Big Wheel was a smaller, less grand version of the London Eye.

“Let’s stop here for a bit.” Zoe got a vicarious thrill from watching the people in carriages. Not so long ago, she’d have thought nothing of riding the Big Dipper further down the coast, rising and twisting along the rickety track, her hair fanned out, before plummeting back down. Time had run out on that particular pleasure. Now, it would have caused unbearable pain.


While Zoe lived, Ed savoured her joy. She sought pleasure in everything, however small. The train that puttered along the seafront, the trundling horses with their buffed-up carriages, the faces within smiling out like royalty, the shops selling a host of holiday must-haves which included buckets and spades, and miniature windmills turning gaudily in the breeze.


The sea’s breakers were lapping the shore in an endless cycle of foam. Zoe clapped her hands.

”There’s nothing like the sea.”

Ed took a picture wishing to preserve the memory. The sun was just crossing the horizon point when Zoe turned to him.

”Let’s head for the cliffs.”

“Are you sure?” Reaching the red and white cliffs further along the coast would involve further manoeuvrings and another car ride, but Zoe had always found peace in their ancient striations. Even if their permanence was an illusion.


“Here it is.” As they headed into the car park, they passed the famous lighthouse tower which had been rebuilt from timber as a result of a fire in the 18th century. A brilliant new light had helped guide weary sea travellers, until a chain of late nineteenth century floating lights rendered it superfluous. The tower had been an observation post during the wars and later its ancillary rooms were used as tea rooms. For many years, rumours abounded of it being pulled down, but so far it remained sturdy, a faded relic of times past.


Zoe watched Ed rest his back against the cliff wall. It was time out of mind. His boyish smile reminded her of why she had fallen for him.

“Do you remember the night we first met?”How could he forget? His best friend Johnny, had been smitten the night Zoe had appeared. They both had. Only now were they were talking about it.

“At the time I was looking over Johnny’s shoulder hoping you’d speak to me.”

“And I was pretending not to notice.”

Ed replayed the moment Johnny asked Zoe if he could get her a drink.

“Seeing you’re asking, a rum and coke please. Oh, and make it a dark one.”

***


After years of marriage, thoughts ran along parallel lines.

“You always did like dark rum,” Ed said.

Zoe shifted in her chair.

“It was bittersweet watching the pair of you head for a dark corner to get better acquainted,” Ed broke out.

“I assumed you weren’t interested.”

”You were wrong. Anyway, the next time you turned up arm in arm with Johnny, it was a moot point.”

***


Ironically, not long after Johnny had stalked out of the pub, the band had been snapped up by an agent, given a recording contract and began touring Europe. A lost opportunity, but too much had happened to ask Johnny back. Perhaps it was just as well.

***


“Fancy some candy floss?”

They had passed a van further along the promenade. “I’ll go and get you one. I won’t be long,” Ed promised.

“No need to rush. It’s not as if I’m going anywhere. I have all the time in the world.”

She tried not to grimace. “Until I don’t.”


The sky deepened as the tide went out. 

Early on, Zoe had discovered she was pregnant. It had been a last-minute pity fuck and she should never have done it. She was young and suddenly all these decisions were piling up, needing to be made. Adapting fast, she’d realised she needed a more settled life, while insisting Ed continue doing what he loved doing.

It hadn’t been easy.

***

Somehow, Ed made it back before the ice creams melted.

“Here you go. I got you the strawberry one. Just in the nick of time. They’d nearly run out.”

“That tastes good.” For a few seconds, she forgot she had cancer. Then, “Johnny used to like ice cream. Do you remember?”

So, they were back to that. “Of course.”

“You must have missed him when he left.”

“I did.” The memory seared. 


One night when the band were due to play, Johnny’s dad’s car had broken down and he’d rung the pub from a call-box explaining he’d be late, if he made it at all. 

Zoe had been sipping her drink at the bar. She seemed on edge. Ed sat on the bar stool beside her. “You worried about Johnny?”

“I’m thinking of ending it with him.” 

Ed hadn’t known what to say. 


The landlord tapped him on the shoulder. “We’ve waited long enough mate. I think you should start without your pal.”

“Right.” Ed touched Zoe’s arm. “We’ll talk later. This isn’t a good time.”

”There’s never going to be a good time.” Impulsively, Zoe reached across and kissed him. He returned the kiss feeling like his world had split open.


When Johnny still hadn’t arrived, the band made the best of things. During a quick interval, Zoe joined Ed in the car park. Johnny made it just in time to see them kissing.


That had been the last time Ed had seen his friend.

***

Zoe was captivated by three neglected sandcastles on the beach. She might have dismissed them had they remained intact, but the breakers had come and collapsed their indulgent peaks. She drew up her blanket, agonising over telling him. Was it really worth it after so long? She picked up a handful of sand, watched the silky grains slip through her fingers. Time was running out fast.

“I want to tell you something Ed.” “

“What?” There was a catch in his voice. “That…”

“What?” The gap yawned like a chasm. “That…”

“Go on, spit it out. It can’t be that bad.” Fear tugged him. Supposing it was?

She stared ahead blankly. “Just that… you will get back in contact with Johnny, won’t you? You’re going to need a friend in the months ahead.”

”There’s no need for that. I’ll have Tim.”

Tim had always been a good son. He couldn’t have asked for better.

“Well, at least promise me you’ll think about it.”

Ed nodded uncertainly. It was all he could manage for the time being.

***


Keeping busy with tasks about the house was Ed’s way of distracting himself from Zoe’s loss. In the dim light of the attic, he’d been using a hammer to repair a broken truss when he came across an old case. Curious, he climbed down from the ladder and squatted between the wooden rafters. He pulled the case towards him, blew off the dust, and opened the rusty hinge. Mostly filled with Zoe’s old keepsakes, his heart sank when he came across a batch of letters which had been tied together with yellow ribbon and written in Johnny’s hand. 


By the time Ed had read all Johnny’s letters, he’d travelled lifetimes. 

“There’s not a day goes by I don’t miss you,” his old friend had written. That one was dated only two years earlier and had been sent to Zoe’s workplace. But the real gut-puncher came from Zoe in a letter not sent. “I have to admit I sometimes wonder whether I chose the wrong man.”


Ed’s grief hardened into a coil of bitterness, slowly uncurling into a crust of pure pain. Up to that point, he’d been uncertain about honouring Zoe’s wish and visiting the man who had haunted his marriage. Now, he knew he’d have to be dragged along hot coals to do it. 


The only thing left was Tim. Tim was his pride and joy.


He’d always known the boy hadn’t been his, but it had never mattered.  Until now.










January 22, 2024 16:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

Story Time
21:45 Feb 07, 2024

I enjoyed the evocative way you summon up places and relationships. The twist at the end worked for me, but I think expanding the piece overall might be something worth your while since I could see it appearing in another publication. Well done.

Reply

Helen A Smith
06:49 Feb 08, 2024

Thank you. Do you mean a sequel? Or, do you mean another online publication?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Belladona Vulpa
10:14 Feb 06, 2024

Great imagery, some romance, and drama as well. Range of emotions and dormant sadness because of her sickness. Nice twist at the end. Throughout the story, I was like, come on Zoe, it's not that hard, just choose a man and stick with your choice, or walk away from both. Not half-hearted stuff, ends in such a mess, now everyone got hurt. But it's life and adds conflict and tension to the story. Johnny has left, but still, his shadow and the people's guilt remain. Great writing.

Reply

Helen A Smith
10:39 Feb 06, 2024

Thank you so much for appreciating my story. Like life, it’s complicated. Everyone has their own interpretations here, but to my mind it was quite possible that Tim might not have been Johnny’s child. The irony was Zoe’s husband believed he was not his, but loved him anyway.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:34 Feb 06, 2024

A very thought provoking tale. I wonder why Zoe kept the letter she never sent in among Johnny's letters. An eternal triangle which broke the friendship between Johnny and Ed. So sad. Poor Zoe. If only she had made up her mind properly at the start. She did come across as wanting to get to know Ed. But had started off with Johnny. How did she know who Tim's father was? It wasn't clear that she knew at the start. I am a great believer in that in situations like this, it is selfish to divulge the truth, just to alleviate ones guilt. But then t...

Reply

Helen A Smith
10:50 Feb 06, 2024

Hi Kaitlyn, Glad you enjoyed it. Zoe kept the letter for sentimental reasons. She didn’t think her husband would find it. She may not have known for certain who Tim’s father was. She thought it likely he was Johnny, but the two men looked alike and there was an overlap.

Reply

23:39 Feb 06, 2024

Ahha! I think you should have made it more explicit that she had made a mistake with one (which is in the story) but had been intimate with the other as well. (though from reading other comments someone had already believed that anyway.) And at the end, the thought in Ed's head should maybe have been that he 'believed he may have not have been his' (not 'known') By 'knowing' his son to 'not be his' it made me wonder about a liaison between Johnny and Zoe. Was it inferred? Also a mention that the guys really did look similar. The vague 'more...

Reply

Helen A Smith
06:40 Feb 07, 2024

Hi Kaitlyn, Thank you for your observations. I was going to make Tim’s eyes brown, but thought it might be too obvious. I wanted to leave it open. Maybe I could have made more of the two men’s looks being more than a passing resemblance, but didn’t want to give the game away. I guess I wanted there to be some ambiguity which you picked up In my mind, when Zoe got pregnant she was quite young (maybe between 18 and 20) and finding her feet in life. She was in a muddle. I like your last point about sliding doors. So true. Thank you so much...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Martin Marriott
21:06 Jan 31, 2024

Fantastic story!

Reply

Helen A Smith
11:01 Feb 01, 2024

Thanks Martin, So pleased you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
16:08 Jan 30, 2024

Very gripping story, Helen ! I sort of felt Johnny and Zoe were secretly seeing each other, but that ending. Wow ! Great job !

Reply

Helen A Smith
17:21 Jan 30, 2024

Thank you Stella, So glad you found it gripping. Really pleased you liked the ending.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angela M
14:25 Jan 29, 2024

I really wasn't expecting that plot twist at the end. A very tragic one and well-executed. I was hooked from the beginning.

Reply

Helen A Smith
17:41 Jan 29, 2024

Thank you Angela, I’m so glad you were hooked.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joe Smallwood
17:22 Jan 28, 2024

a distant heater😬 skelter? There might still be time. As of the time of writing this, your story doesn't appear to be published. I liked it. Although I thought Johnny was involved with Zoe from the get go. So the ending? Anyway was fun to read. I like how you describe scenery. There's a knack for doing that well, which you have. Thanks.

Reply

Helen A Smith
17:41 Jan 28, 2024

Hi Joe, I’ve edited it, but probably too late. Johnny was involved with her initially, but she fell for his best friend and vice versa. Glad you liked the scenery scenes.

Reply

Joe Smallwood
17:48 Jan 28, 2024

No, you are good! If you were able to edit then it should be fine.

Reply

Helen A Smith
18:08 Jan 28, 2024

Hope so Joe. You say I have a knack for describing scenery, but it takes me hours to get to a point where I’m satisfied with it.

Reply

Joe Smallwood
18:21 Jan 28, 2024

Maybe that is why I usually don't do scenery much. But it adds a lot if you have the time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Polly Anderson
10:51 Jan 26, 2024

I really enjoyed this story

Reply

Helen A Smith
11:08 Jan 26, 2024

Thank you Polly. I enjoyed writing it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:48 Jan 25, 2024

Lots of drama in this one, and it ends on such a dark note. Which is surprising in a story where a key element is a wife and husband spending their last moments together, before cancer tears them apart - one might think that's the key dark event - but this is surprising in a good way. “not missing a best” - beat? “we’re building up quite a reputation” - were? “Somehow, they papered him over. The man between the cracks.” I like that. “Ed touched Lily’s arm” - Zoe? Ultimately, Zoe chickened out. “Was it really worth it after so long?...

Reply

Helen A Smith
04:59 Jan 26, 2024

Hi Michal, Thanks for your great critique. I’ve dealt with the typos. I don’t know how I miss them because I spend ages editing. I think it may be because I’d written the piece and things got muddled with the type face (don’t ask) and then was editing like crazy on the phone as I was sending it 😂 I’ve got all irritated by the typos lol. It is a complex piece - like life. I think Zoe wanted to tell her husband, but it got too difficult. It was all a bit of a mess. At different stages, she ultimately had feelings for both men. The stronger pa...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:29 Jan 22, 2024

That was a twist. Didn't see it coming. Torn between two lovers comes to mind.

Reply

Helen A Smith
20:39 Jan 22, 2024

Thanks Mary. It’s always good to hear that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
18:45 Jan 22, 2024

Hi Helen, You had me engaged, wondering how it would turn out. What was the secret? Some great imagery: "Somehow, they papered him over, the man between the cracks. "...the sun skittered from behind the clouds highlighting a distant helter-skelter, its flag no longer in use." And no, I did not miss this one. "I got you the strawberry one. Just in the nick of time. They’d nearly run out.” And then the surprise. Having adopted a boy myself, I can tell you. It doesn't matter who the father is. It matters who the Dad is.

Reply

Helen A Smith
18:55 Jan 22, 2024

Thanks Jack, I’m glad it engaged you. I’ve taken so long over this story. Yes, it is the Dad is who matters, not the father. I lost my own dad when I was a little girl and it had a big impact on me. I think adopting a child is awesome. I’m sure you are a great dad. Loving a child is everything. Also, I love the sea.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.