226 comments

Drama Contemporary Fiction



When I pushed open the peeling door and stepped onto the dirty tiles of our family store, I was immediately encompassed by the smell of mildew and rotting wood. My high heels clicked on the floor as I walked past the empty clothes racks to the small counter in the back. I was glad I left my purse in the car. I wouldn’t have wanted it to touch any surface in this building. 


This wouldn’t sell. It had become so neglected that nobody in their right mind would want to buy it. I turned around slowly, surveying the cracked, moldy paint on the walls and mud on the floor. I heard little mouse footsteps underneath the uneven floorboards, pattering softly. I drove home later, rain splattering on the window in fat, heavy drops, feeling hopeless. 


__________


When I approached Mom and Dad about my decaying plan to sell the thrift shop, they weren’t surprised. 


“I doubt anyone will even want it, though, so I’m not completely sure that this will even work,” I said. I bit my lip, a leftover habit from my tween years, and looked questioningly at my parents. They exchanged uncomfortable glances. They had a way of communicating without speaking, which had frustrated me ever since I was a little girl. My dad stuffed his hands sheepishly in his faded jean pockets and looked to the side. 


“Well, uh, Rianne...” My mom shifted positions on our old, worn-out leather couch so that she was hugging her knees to her chest. “Felix has always been the one that wanted to start a business. We were thinking of giving him ownership of the building ever since you moved out.”


“What?”


My mom shifted slightly again. I noticed, for the first time, the few streaks of grey laced throughout my mom’s coarse hair. My dad looked fixedly at the cream-colored carpet, twirling his thick mustache with his fingers.


“We thought you knew.” Her voice was pained, tight. “We thought you knew that we gave ownership of the building to Felix as soon as he turned eighteen.”


“I thought you guys still had it.” 


“We just assumed...you always acted like receiving it would be a burden.”


Even I didn’t understand why I was mad. I hadn’t wanted the building. But Felix, my little brother, was irresponsible, messy, forgetful. I didn’t understand why they had thought it was better to give it to him than to me. 


I didn’t understand how I hadn’t known about it. 


“The store is still shut down! He hasn’t even done anything with it!” My voice echoed around the room, sounding involuntarily shrill. “I could make money off of it!”


My dad spoke up for the first time since we sat down to talk. “Rianne, he’s working really hard. It’s only been six months, and he’s a freshman in college!” 


I could only purse my lips and leave. 


__________




It was three am. The rain drummed against my bedroom window, drowned out by the sound of my heater turned on full blast. I clutched my comforter tighter around me. I had stayed up late working again, another harmful tendency of mine. I could still taste some icy, metallic traces of the blood in my mouth from biting my lip so hard at my parents' house.


A few minutes later, I was sitting up in bed, goosebumps up and down my bare arms. The phone was smooth, cold in my hands. He answered quickly. 


“Rianne? What’s going on? Is there an emergency?” 


 “No, Felix, I just...have something to ask you.” 


“Rianne, it’s three o’clock.”


“I know, I know. I’m sorry, it’s important.” 


Felix sighed dramatically. “You know I have classes tomorrow? And don’t you have work?” 


I ignored him. “What are you going to do with that building?”


“Building?” 


“Grandpa’s thrift shop. The one that was closed down.”


“Oh, uh, well, I was thinking of opening my own bakery.”


“A bakery?” I snort. “You suck at baking! Remember my birthday?” The last time Felix had baked was for my seventeenth birthday, when he had tried to make a pineapple upside-down cake. My mom was forced to run out to the grocery store to buy one of the premade ones they always have. 


“Can’t you leave me alone about that cake?” Felix snapped and blew heavily through his mouth. “My friend, Chirag, he’s doing the baking. I’m on the business side.”


“Oh.” 


A few moments of silence passed between us. I could feel the ends of my short hair tickling my neck. I said what I had wanted to say this entire time. The real thing that had been bothering me. 


“Why didn’t you tell me you wanted to do this? Why didn’t you tell me you got the building?” 


“I-” Felix sighed. “I don’t know. It didn’t really cross my mind. I guess I was used to you knowing everything about my life as soon as it happened.”


It had been six years since I moved out. 


“I want to help you.” This was his dream. When we were little, we would play a game where he would pretend to be a shopowner and I would be the customer. He had wanted this his whole life. Who was I to stop him? 


“Really?” Felix yawned loudly.


“Yeah. I’m a lawyer, after all. You might need my help. Call me if you need me to do anything, okay?” 


Felix yawned again. “Aren’t you really busy?”


“Don’t worry about it.”


__________




Felix couldn’t hire anyone to do the cleaning. Nobody wanted to. That’s why I was there, kneeling on the floor of the building, dressed in one of my Dad’s t-shirts and my least favorite pair of jeans. The buttons scratched my waist uncomfortably. It was quiet, save for the occasional thud coming from the walls. I scrubbed ferociously at the place where the wall and the hardwood floors met with a sickly-yellow sponge.


 Felix was next to me. We talked as we cleaned. It distracted me from the feeling of the wet floor soaking through my jeans and gloves. It was nice, talking to him. 


We decided we would come back the next weekend. We hired carpenters to fix the walls. We bought tables and chairs. We registered for a permit. We painted the walls, installed new floors. We bought display cases and bakery equipment. We put up a new wall. I paid for everything. I had the money, and I knew Felix would pay me back. I saw the way he organized, made plans, got to things on time. He was responsible enough. 



__________


Finally, we were choosing the name for the bakery. 


“So for the name, Chirag’s might be good,” I offered. “He’s the main baker after all.” Felix, Chirag, and I were sitting in Felix’s dorm room. I was sitting on the bed, Chirag on top of the small desk, and Felix in a swivel chair. Chirag’s become almost like a second little brother, we’ve worked together so often. 


“Chirag and I already decided on the name, actually,” Felix said. Chirag swung his legs and jumped off of the desk, landing on the floor with a thud. 


“Oh.” I scrunched my face and tried not to appear hurt. “What is it, then?” 


Felix smiled mischievously, the smile he would always use after stealing my gummy bears or winning a pillow fight. “Rianne’s.” 






November 22, 2020 18:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

226 comments

20:51 Dec 15, 2020

This story is really good, it shows a great relationship between Rianne and Felix. There's really nothing I can critique, and the ending was very sweet :) Great Story! - Amethyst

Reply

Show 0 replies
Laiba M
22:48 Dec 14, 2020

I feel so bad about Vayd. I didn't even realize how he felt, and now he's gone, and he's deleted all his comments and stories, so I can't even ask him anything about it. I'm still in shock-this was a huge surprise to me. From his comments in our thread, I couldn't even tell he wasn't feeling well, and now he's just gone...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Orenda .
17:32 Dec 10, 2020

yo, I've a new story out. Mind reading it and sharing your valuable feedback on it? Thanks a ton :D

Reply

Amaya .
22:48 Dec 10, 2020

woah woah....ORENDA posted a new story? this calls for a party. YOU NEVER POSTTTTT ill read asapp

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laiba M
02:05 Dec 08, 2020

I was looking for you for so long!! I was thinking, "Where is Amaya??" and scrolled far back into my notifications. I saw a Ginny Weasley and was confused since I've never met someone by that name on Reedsy. I go to that account, and voila, you're here :) What made you decide to change to Ginny Weasley? Just curious :) Anyways, how are you??

Reply

Show 0 replies

Hey Ginny! Ummm... Love this story and.... THe eNDinG ... HaRrY

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
02:13 Dec 05, 2020

do ya wanna hear some jokes?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Raquel Rodriguez
20:38 Dec 01, 2020

Awwww, your bio's so cute now! Could you check mine out? I have a surprise :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ariadne .
06:29 Nov 29, 2020

FIEWDFVHERUIJDWNCWKOWIJ AMAYA THIS IS SO AMAZING I LOVE IT OMG HIOIUHJIODMKSIJ WUDEINJUHD THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH YOU ARE THE BESTTTT!!!!!! ❤❤❤ Seriously, I love the sibling relationship in this one. I mean, sure, Rianne’s sudden decision to accept Felix’s status as the owner is slightly unrealistic (or maybe that’s just me since I would never haha) but still, the way the descriptions flowed and the whole plot and everything — gosh, THANK YOU SO MUCH for such an amazing gift!!! Love the story (and the author!)

Reply

Amaya .
00:24 Dec 01, 2020

thank youuu <33333 yeah i agree it was pretty unrealistic and abrupt

Reply

Ariadne .
02:21 Dec 01, 2020

No, it's still great. Sweet. There could be siblings out there like that, you never know. Def not my life, but eh.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Izzie Chan
15:07 Nov 23, 2020

This is an amazing story! The details and descriptions you provided were so vivid! And I love how Rianne decided to be the bigger person and help Felix out instead of taking the building for herself. So for advice... hmmm... I think that when you write numbers they’re supposed to be written in word form instead of numbered form (ie. five a.m. rather than 5 a.m.). I loved this story, great job!

Reply

Amaya .
22:47 Nov 24, 2020

thank you! i fixed the numbers thing

Reply

Izzie Chan
02:15 Nov 25, 2020

Nice! Great story, Amaya! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
12:44 Jan 15, 2021

Okay, first of all, I love stories like this, with a store being taken over by the clueless kids. Second, I love characters with the name Felix. Third, the line "I had stayed up late working again, another harmful tendency of mine. I could still taste some icy, metallic traces of the blood in my mouth from biting my lip so hard at my parents' house" is perfect.

Reply

Amaya .
17:36 Jan 15, 2021

ah thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Orenda .
19:15 Jan 10, 2021

new story out, feel free to check it out whenever you want :) leave some feedback too! Thanks so much.

Reply

Amaya .
20:59 Jan 10, 2021

oh my gosh girl you are getting so many out I'm so proud of u

Reply

Orenda .
03:08 Jan 11, 2021

:"))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
00:23 Jan 08, 2021

NEW STORRYYYYYYY I DUNNO IF WE'RE CLOSE ENOUGH TO ALERT EACH OTHER BUT NEW STORYYYYYY

Reply

Amaya .
01:16 Jan 08, 2021

WE ARE WE ARE ILL READ IT WHENEVER I HAVE TIME

Reply

. .
01:35 Jan 08, 2021

YAS TANK U

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
14:24 Jan 07, 2021

Hey Amaya can you check out my new story!?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Orenda .
18:33 Jan 05, 2021

heylo, my story's out. Feel free to check it out whenever you want. Drop some feedback too!

Reply

Amaya .
01:12 Jan 06, 2021

oh my god girl you are doing so much writing recently

Reply

Orenda .
03:22 Jan 06, 2021

yess :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
20:01 Jan 04, 2021

Hey Amaya!! For your bio, my suggestion would be just a list of all of your faves, and maybe a small news section that might change but rarely. Kinda like mine.

Reply

Show 0 replies
03:23 Jan 04, 2021

I’m going to leave this comment cuz a) you’re at 399 comments and I need to perfect the comment number on this story and b) I have somethin’ to sayyyy! So...I think you should have a bio like me! Which, wow, sound really braggy, but you know what I mean. A lot of people have stationary bios that they change often, but I think it’s fun to have an actual bio that stays the same, them things like update boards so you can switch around your bio without actually switching around your bio. Of course, it’s your choice, but that’s my two cents XD

Reply

Amaya .
03:43 Jan 04, 2021

oops now im making it 401 :) nooo it doesn't haha yes I know what you mean. I like your idea and it's prob something I'm going to try out and see if I like

Reply

14:29 Jan 04, 2021

*gasp* Okay lol. Um. Good luck?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laiba M
17:59 Jan 01, 2021

Hi, Amaya~ I actually added two poems to my bio this time. Let me know if you like my bio or if I should change the poems :) I mentioned you as well! If you want me to say something else about you, tell me~~

Reply

Amaya .
18:04 Jan 01, 2021

I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!!!! I love my mention and the poems are beautifullll i didn't know you could write poetryyyy <333 ur so good!

Reply

Laiba M
18:28 Jan 01, 2021

Aww :) You're so so sweet! I actually only just started this week, so it's pretty beginner, haha :D Glad you liked it!! Happy New Year!~

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
01:45 Dec 31, 2020

WOW HOW DO YOU WRITE SO WELL XD This story was soooooooo wonderfully written and the details were fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great job! :D

Reply

Amaya .
03:31 Dec 31, 2020

aw thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laiba M
03:06 Dec 29, 2020

Hi, Amaya!~ How are you? We haven't talked in so long :(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Orenda .
17:27 Dec 27, 2020

We don't talk anymore~ :(

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.