For Your Sake

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write a story about someone feeling powerless.... view prompt

160 comments

Romance Historical Fiction Sad

This is all my fault. This is happening all because of me. A person is going to die because I ignored the facts that warned me to stop this from continuing any further; to stop this before it was too late.


It all started with that stupid pink dress. Fashioned from the finest silk in the kingdom, and sporting the perfect combination of ruffles and simplicity, it made me come across as too elegant--as too refined--for a woman my age. Mother always taught me that every female with a crown on her head should be the perfect picture of elegance, but I’d picked the wrong day to do so. Not knowing the trap I was walking into, I gave a polite curtsy to my father’s esteemed guests.


“This is my daughter, Eloise,” my father informed them as I straightened up. “Eloise, this is General Whitkin and his son, Sir Antony Whitkin. General Whitkin has been fighting some of the greatest battles for our kingdom since before you could walk.”

“A legacy my Antony will no doubt carry on,” General Whitkin had said with a proud smile.

“It would be my honour to fight for my crown and my country.”


Like I haven’t heard that one before.


But knowing that my actions as a princess always impacted my king, I flashed our guests a polite smile. “Any warrior that fights for the good of the kingdom is a friend of the crown, and thus a friend of mine. It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance, General Whitkin, Sir Whitkin.”


The pleasure of their acquaintance was short lived. Maybe my father had mistaken my polite smiles and friendly conversation as consent, or maybe the crown on his head was so heavy a burden that it had addled his brain, but as soon as dinner was over, he’d decided to drop the bomb he’d apparently been planning for a while.


“The union between our households will indeed be a strong one. Besides the royal family, the Whitkin name is an esteemed one. You’ve built quite a reputation and following amongst the people of this nation. Your son will make a fine king, indeed.”


I nearly dropped my soup spoon. It took me a while to really absorb what he’d said, but my shock at the news of an arranged marriage was nothing compared to what I felt when I realised that all three of the males seated around the table seemed unsurprised.


I was the only one who didn’t know.


Me. The princess of the kingdom wasn’t informed of this while the knights of a lower status than me were. The only female involved in this matter had been purposefully kept in the dark. To this day, I can’t believe that I hadn’t been involved in deciding my own life partner.


While my smile had only dipped slightly, my father must have gauged my mood, because he made a point of saying, “I know Eloise would agree. As the princess of our great nation, her decisions are always mindful of the best interests of the people. The people are willing to support Antony’s reign as their future king, so I know she’ll support this union, too.”


If my mother were still alive, maybe I would’ve had an ally in going against my father. A queen is the only person able to reign in a king, after all.

But help came in the form of a surprising source.


“With all due respect, your majesty,” General Whitkin said, “it seems that the princess would rather marry for both love and for her people.”


“Don’t you worry, father,” Sir Whitkin spoke up. “We’ll have lots of time to grow to love each other once the vows are read.”


My father smiled. “You will make a fine king, indeed.”


Without me saying a word, the matter was settled. The three of them carried on talking about other political matters with the broadest of smiles. I couldn’t find it in me to force any more smiles for the sake of the clearly power hungry Sir Whitkin--a man I still refuse to acknowledge as my future husband. I excused myself just as the ball slowly forming in my throat grew too painful to choke down. I calmly walked out of the room, but ran down the hallway as soon as I was sure that my footsteps were out of hearing distance. My ladies were hot on my heels until I snapped at them to stay where they were.


I wanted some time to think.


I needed some time alone.


I picked up the skirt of that stupid pink dress and ran out into the garden. I ran past a few of the servants tending to the roses, and bumped into the back of one of them as they were turning around. I continued to run until I reached the entrance to my mother’s alcove at the other end of the castle grounds. I slammed the door, ripped the tiara off of my head and threw it somewhere into the darkness. The clang of the expensive metal against the floor was so satisfying. Being able to let the tears fall down where nobody could watch me was so refreshing. I stood there with my back against the door and let the floodgates open. I hadn’t been to my mother’s “secret” alcove in years, and I wasn’t quite ready to turn the lights on and have a look around the room, but I felt a lot closer to my mother in that moment--in that room--than I had anywhere else in the castle.


Just as my sobs were starting to subside, a tentative knock sounded at the door. I jumped away from it. A thin stream of light seeped in through the tiny space between the bottom of the door and the floor. I could see the shadow of two feet positioned directly opposite me. The person gave another knock, this time slightly louder; more confident. And then a voice floated to me through the wooden door.


“Princess? Your Highness, are you okay?”


I didn’t answer him. From the genuine concern in his voice, I could tell that whoever he was, he meant no harm to me. But this was my sanctuary. My make up and hair were ruined. I looked nothing like the graceful, elegant princess everyone in the castle knows me to be. Regardless of how upset I was at my father, I wasn’t going to ruin the royal family image.


A moment passed without a word from either end of the door. I kept my eyes on the shadow. I waited for it to leave. Instead, it grew larger and longer. I took another step back, but instead of opening the door, they slid something under the door. It slid across the dusty floor until it hit the edge of my dress. I picked it up just as the shadow disappeared. Through the light that their absence left behind, I crouched down, opened the envelope and read the words written on the single slip of paper hidden inside.


The jewels that sparkle on your many crowns do not compare to the sparkle you emit as the ordinary woman I see you to be. I hope that one day you can embrace the fact that you are a person before you are a princess. When the crown feels too heavy on your head, I hope that you can comfortably take it off for a few hours and enjoy the kind of life your people want you to live. If you feel that it’s a luxury you can’t afford, then I hope you can enjoy this luxury in your mother’s room in secret, as you are now. If you decide to take my words to heart, let me know by keeping the envelope of this letter by the door. I promise to guard the entrance for you every time you come here to shed your burdens as a princess. I’ll come back later to see your answer.


That’s where this whole mess started. With a stupid pink dress, an arranged marriage between a princess and a complete cad, and the letter that calmed the storm brewing within me. Because of my curiosity, because I opened that envelope, a person was wrongfully imprisoned. An innocent person is going to die tonight, and it’s all my fault.


As soon as I finish reading the letter about his execution, I storm out of my bedroom with the envelope in hand and run into two heavily armed guards. They immediately spring into action and block my path. A laugh bubbles in my throat at the unfairness of it all, but I choke it down.


“You’re still not letting me leave?” I ask.


They don’t turn to look at me. I push against their chests, but they don’t move by a single inch.

“I command you to get out of my way this instant!”

“Deepest apologies, your Highness,” one of them says with a small incline of the head, “but I’m afraid we can’t do that.”

“Do you know that I can have you killed for this gross display of insubordination?!”

“With all due respect, your Highness,” the other guard pipes up, “our orders come directly from his Majesty. Disobeying the king’s orders will lead to our immediate deaths. Disobeying your current orders will gain us favour with the king.”


“When I become queen, I’ll have you beheaded for treason!” I spit at them.


“Come, now, Eloise. That’s no way for a princess to behave.”


The guards parted and stood at attention on either side of my door. I instinctively took a step back at the sight of my father, and immediately chastised myself for doing so. I have to appear strong. I can’t crumble--not when he is about to be executed at any second.


I take a deep breath and choke down the lump in my throat. As my father stands with an amused smile in the doorway, I stand before him and motion to the dress on my body.


“I’m wearing it, like I promised.”


His eyes glossed over my mother’s crown amidst the braided updo of my raven hair. They surveyed every inch of the white dress with its many ruffles on my skirt and the length, golden laced train that billows out on the floor behind me.

My father’s eyes softened. “You make a beautiful bride, Eloise. You look just like your mother did on our wedding day. She always wanted to see the day our little girl becomes a queen.”


I stifle the sob that threatens to break free. “Father, I’ve kept my end of the deal. It’s your turn now. Please let him go according to our original deal, not the one in the letter.”

My father’s eyes harden. “I can’t believe that you have the audacity to mention that boy at a time like this.”


“Eli has been stuck in the dungeon for days, father. You’ve tortured him enough. You’ve punished us both enough already. Please just let him go. He did nothing wrong, father.”


“You clearly haven’t learnt your lesson,” my father says, his voice raising in volume. “You are a princess, Eloise. A princess. Your life is not your own. Rebelling against my wishes, against my orders, is an act of treason. I’ve tried separating you. I’ve warned you that if you spoke about that garden boy again, I would stop making decisions as your father and start ordering executions as your king.”


“As the princess--”


“You don’t possess any authority that surpasses mine, Eloise, so don’t even start bringing up your title. If I tell the guards to starve a servant in my castle, they will starve the child for weeks. If I tell them to keep you locked up in your room for the same amount of time, they will keep you hidden away until your wedding day without hesitation. If I declare that your wedding date will be moved up, or that a servant who dared to so much as look at an engaged princess should be executed, it will be done immediately. And there’s nothing that you can do about it. You may be the future of this kingdom, but as the current ruler, my word is law. Try and order any of our servants to go against me again, and I will make sure the boy is executed immediately instead of in a few hours. Do I make myself clear?”


I look away from him as a tear escapes from the corner of my eye. I close my eyes as a tidal wave of pain surges through my core. Everything had been on the way to ruin for weeks, but now it’s all spiralling out of control. I have to save him. I need to save him. But I don’t know how the two of us can make it out of tonight alive; how we can make it past my father’s wrath unscathed.


“Do I make myself--”


“Yes,” I choke out. Without turning around, I whisper, “You’ve made yourself clear.”


I hear him let out a sigh of relief. “Good girl. I’ll send a handmaiden to touch up your make up. The guards outside will escort you to the ballroom in ten minutes, where you’ll be wed to Sir Whitkins. If you’re even a minute late, I’ll send a servant to relay a message to the executioner.”


As soon as he leaves, as soon as the doors lock me inside again, my knees give way. I collapse onto the ground as the pain of the past few days streams down my face. My handmaiden touches my shoulder. She tries to get me to calm down, but all I can see is Eli. Poor Eli, who was only ever guilty of watching me from afar and slowly falling for me. Sweet Eli, who was perfectly content with standing guard before I started visiting my mother’s alcove daily just to see him. Innocent Eli, who was only ever at fault for being the one person who sees me for who I truly am; who made me feel loved and human instead of as some princess to put on a pedestal.


Through the tears, I remember that I have one chance left to save him. Even if it means we can’t be together. I allow Marie to fix my make up and hide my puffy eyes behind a veil. I follow the guards silently out of my room and towards the ballroom. Every step feels heavy. I feel like crying. I feel like screaming. But I can’t do any of that. I am a princess. I have to start living for my kingdom, as someone else’s wife, or else Eli will die.


I curl my hands into fists at my sides as I see my father waiting outside the ballroom with his crown and kingly robes. He tells me to smile. I feel the corners of my mouth pull into a smile my heart isn’t involved in. The guards open the doors. The interior looks beautiful; fit for a princess. The roses lining the aisle remind me of Eli, who always brought me a rose during our secret meetings. The wedding march starts to play. My father intertwines our arms. The words of the letter ring in my head as I take my first steps onto the carpeted aisle.


I bring urgent news from the dungeon.


The eyes of the nobles and royals from other kingdoms follow my every step; my every smile.


His Majesty has ordered for Eli’s execution when the bell tower strikes its twelfth chime tonight.


I draw closer to my future husband. The crown on my head grows heavier with every step. My father slightly squeezes our interlinked arms--a reminder to keep smiling.


We have orders from the king to inform you that the execution will commence if you fail to say “yes, I do” tonight.


My father places my hand in Antony’s. We walk the short distance toward the priest. Objections are asked for. I wish someone would see the anguish in my eyes and object. But nobody does.


If you do, however, manage to say said phrase, his Majesty will let the boy live.


“Do you, Princess Eloise Renetta Stone, accept Sir Antony Wilkins as your loving husband, to have and to hold, until death do you part?”


With clenched fists, I close my eyes. In the distance, I can hear the bell tower near its twelfth strike. With Eli’s face burned into the back of my eyelids, I open my mouth and say the words.


“Yes. I do.”


September 11, 2020 23:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

160 comments

Yolanda Wu
06:37 Sep 12, 2020

This story was so heartbreaking. The way you wrote Eloise's internal struggle with the marriage. I love your build up to the final line. As the reader, I feel the turmoil of such a difficult decision as much as Eloise does. And even though we never see Eloise have an interaction with Eli, that letter, and Eloise's guilt and thoughts about him were enough to make me believe in their love. I would love to see a part two, where maybe we can actually see Eli and Eloise interact. Just my little wish, but of course it's your story. I saw that you...

Reply

Jade Young
07:06 Sep 12, 2020

Thank you so much for reading and enjoying my story❤ I was going to put an interaction between them at the end, but I was scared of going over the Reedsy word count😂💔 but I'll definitely do a part two And about your stories, of course I will. I was about to read and comment on them but it was so late I fell asleep lol. I'll check them out now😊❤

Reply

Yolanda Wu
08:12 Sep 12, 2020

Oh yes, the Reedsy word count, that is completely understandable. So excited that there will be a part two!

Reply

Jade Young
11:52 Oct 03, 2020

Part two of For Your sake, For Your Safety, is out now :D I hope you can enjoy it as much as you enjoyed part one ;D

Reply

Yolanda Wu
11:57 Oct 03, 2020

Cool! I'll check it out now. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
23:53 Sep 11, 2020

Wow, this was amazing! PLEASE LET THERE BE A PART TWO! Great job!

Reply

Jade Young
23:54 Sep 11, 2020

Thanks Avery, I'm glad you liked it :D

Reply

Avery G.
23:54 Sep 11, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jade Young
11:53 Oct 03, 2020

Part two of For Your sake, For Your Safety, is out now :D I hope you can enjoy it as much as you enjoyed part one ;D

Reply

Avery G.
17:50 Oct 03, 2020

Cool! I'll check it out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Anshika Goyal
11:50 Sep 12, 2020

This is a well-written story. You have seriously considered the golden rule of show, don't tell and I appreciate that. Your dialogues help the story come alive. The point of view really gets me connected to the story and I must appreciate the conclusion. Keep Writing!!

Reply

Jade Young
15:17 Sep 12, 2020

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my story😊 I'm really glad you were able to feel what Eloise was going through. I hope you can enjoy my other stories as much as you like this one 😊❤

Reply

Anshika Goyal
17:20 Sep 12, 2020

No problem and sure!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
D. Jaymz
04:41 Sep 12, 2020

A bittersweet sacrifice for love. Excellent, Jade 👏 I noticed rhythmic words here and there that made some sentences lyrical. You have portrayed a person left powerless eloquently. The story's internal logic is consistent and there are no loose ends in the plot. ~~~~~~ Suggestions ~~~~~~ My Opinion Only ~~~~~~ In this part of a sentence, 'but my shock at the news of an arrange marriage was nothing compared', it should be 'arranged' I believe, for the sentence to be, 'but my shock at the news of an arranged marriage was nothi...

Reply

Jade Young
07:02 Sep 12, 2020

Thank you for making the time to read my story😊 and thank you for leaving such detailed and critical feedback, I really appreciate it😊 I was able to go back and fix some of the errors because you pointed them put, so thank you. As for the story itself, I'm glad that you enjoyed it. It's a slightly different style than what I'm used to writing about, so I was worried I couldn't capture their love and her despair vividly, so your feedback is comforting.

Reply

D. Jaymz
15:48 Sep 12, 2020

You are capturing the right feelings 👍 Keep up the great writing 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Ahhhhhh this was AWESOME! And INFURIATING! Arrrrgh I fell so bad for Eloise. I hate it when this kind of thing happens, fictional or real. THERE’S GONMA BE A PART 2, RIGHT?! THERE BETTER BE A PART TWOOOOOO!!!! ELOISE AND ELI NEED REVENGEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! Anyways, great job. PART 2 IS DEMANDED! Keep writiiiiiiing! P. S. ‘Renetta Stone’? Might Eloise be named after the Rosetta Stone? Lol....

Reply

Jade Young
23:57 Sep 11, 2020

Haha now I'm contemplating getting revenge for them. I'll definitely try and make a part two ;p PS: Yup. That's totally what I was subtly trying to go for, lol.

Reply

YUUUUP YOU BETTER LOL P. S. Smooooth 😉 P. S. S. Would you mind checking out my new story? Thanksssss!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jade Young
11:52 Oct 03, 2020

Part two of For Your sake, For Your Safety, is out now :D I hope you can enjoy it as much as you enjoyed part one ;D

Reply

Yaaaay, I just left feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Thom With An H
18:49 Sep 17, 2020

This was a brilliant read. It flowed from the first sentence to the last. I would like to have learned a little more about Eli and Eloise but I know the format limits you. Your writing is first-rate. I read your bio and I can see the evidence of a life spent honing the skill. I would actually like to read the next chapter of this story. I hope the prompts will eventually allow it to be so. Great Job!!! I submitted a story this week using the same prompt. It was a story I wrote for a different competition and was actually my first ...

Reply

Jade Young
19:25 Sep 17, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to read my story😊 I'm really glad you enjoyed it❤ There will definitely be more insight into Eloise and Eli's relationship in part two. I'll definitely take a look at Choices😊

Reply

Jade Young
11:54 Oct 03, 2020

Part two of For Your sake, For Your Safety, is out now :D I hope you can enjoy it as much as you enjoyed part one ;D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
14:16 Sep 12, 2020

Oh no! She can't marry Wilkins! Talk about feeling powerless. You are going to have to give us a Part 2, Jade....Eloise and Eli can't end like this. Fantastic writing and description and what a poignant, action-packed plot. More!

Reply

Jade Young
15:20 Sep 12, 2020

Thanks Kristin 😊 I'm really glad you liked this story. I'm definitely considering writing a part two❤

Reply

Kristin Neubauer
15:35 Sep 12, 2020

Thank goodness! I will keep an eye on your page, but let me know when Part 2 comes out if you wouldn't mind!

Reply

Jade Young
15:57 Sep 12, 2020

Haha will do❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jade Young
11:59 Oct 03, 2020

Hey Kristin :) Part two of For Your sake, For Your Safety, is out now :D I hope you can enjoy it as much as you enjoyed part one ;D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Pratheeksha R
23:02 Oct 04, 2020

Amazing story! Arranged marriages are so unfortunately common in India and the sacrifice both parties go through is tremendous. Thank you for bringing this commanlity albeit in the royal stage. While, other comments ask for Part Two - the aftermath, I'd also love the prequel of how Eli & Eloise met, their clandestine meetings, how he made her feel, etc. This would be an excellent three part story. :)

Reply

Jade Young
00:13 Oct 05, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment😊 I'm glad you enjoyed my story. I get what you mean about arranged marriages and India. Coming from an Indian background full of arranged marriages, I got this inspiration from my family stories and turned it into a royalty thing lol. I'm currently working on maybe turning this into a novel, but we'll see depending on how much time I have😉

Reply

Pratheeksha R
03:12 Oct 05, 2020

A steady but continued progress should do you good with your novel. Don’t stop working on it.

Reply

Jade Young
09:20 Oct 05, 2020

Thank you so much for the advice! I'll definitely take it slow and steady

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:53 Sep 25, 2020

This was really interesting! Not only was it beautifully written, but also delightfully infuriating. You do a great job of drawing the reader in enough that we actually care what’s happening. I’ve seen quite a few comments wanting another part (and I agree!), and I think that’s a testament to how invested we all got. Thanks for a great story (and sorry I’m a little late on getting to read it)!

Reply

Jade Young
04:10 Oct 03, 2020

Thanks for reading and commenting Dori :D (and sorry I'm late on getting to reply to you lol) I'm glad that you were able to empathise with Eloise and what she was going through. It makes me so happy to read that my writing has an impact :D Part two, For Your Safety, is out now ;) Hopefully you like it as much as For Your Sake, but if not, let me know. All constructive comments are welcome ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
15:55 Sep 18, 2020

Disney is going to rip you off one day...

Reply

Jade Young
12:00 Oct 03, 2020

Thank you for the compliment August :D Part two of For Your sake, For Your Safety, is out now, if you wanna check that out :D I hope you can enjoy it as much as you enjoyed part one ;D

Reply

Kendall Defoe
20:19 Oct 03, 2020

I will!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lexi Cook
23:12 Sep 17, 2020

Wow, this story is really good. I can see you advancing as an even greater writer one day

Reply

Jade Young
12:01 Oct 03, 2020

Thank you so much Lexi! I'm really glad you liked it :D Part two of For Your sake, For Your Safety, is out now, if you wanna check that out. I'd love your feedback :D I hope you can enjoy it as much as you enjoyed part one ;D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jessica Primrose
21:54 Sep 17, 2020

I really loved this story. I like how you expressed the internal conflict of the main character and really made us feel for her. It seems the execution bit comes a little sudden and I think it would be better if we had more time to flesh out that plot point. Either way, I thought it was really well written so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I also like the ending, I mean it's sad but far too often these princesses tend to get happily ever afters.

Reply

Jade Young
06:01 Sep 18, 2020

Thank you Jessica😊 I'm glad you enjoyed my story. And I agree with you, sometimes it's nice to show that princesses can't have everything they want handed to them on a silver platter without a little hard work😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KYRA ROBIN
21:14 Sep 16, 2020

Wow, this is really well written. You completely blew my mind. And *I totally didn't cry*. The dialogue was amazing and you really captured the powerless idea of the prompt. Only thing, in a couple of spots you ended your sentences before someone spoke, you don't have to do that when someone speaks. Example; Kyle said between breaths, "you know what? I don't care about this stupid race. Give me your water bottle" (Not sure where I got the inspiration for that lil line but...)

Reply

Jade Young
21:38 Sep 16, 2020

Thanks for reading and commenting, I'm really glad you enjoyed it😂❤ I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by ending them before someone speaks, though. Your example is brilliant lol😂 but can you maybe pinpoint what you mean in my story? Maybe I'll understand what you mean better🙈

Reply

KYRA ROBIN
22:06 Sep 16, 2020

In the beginning you did it, and a couple other times towards the end. Here's one. "But knowing that my actions as a princess always impacted my king, I flashed our guests a polite smile[. “A]ny warrior that fights for the good of the kingdom is a friend of the crown, and thus a friend of mine...”" You probably should have phrased it like this; "But knowing that my actions as a princess always impacted my king(some kind of space filler). I flashed our guests a polite smile, "any warrior that fights for the good of the kingdom is a f...

Reply

Jade Young
22:35 Sep 16, 2020

Ohhhhhh okay, I get it now😂🙈 Thank you for pointing that out and taking the time to explain it to me (twice😂💔). I'll definitely work on that in future😊❤

Reply

KYRA ROBIN
23:35 Sep 16, 2020

Its no big deal!! I phrased it oddly the first time so its all good!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Artemisia Pearl
20:57 Sep 16, 2020

For one thing, the title is one of the most important things of a story. I loved the way you titled it dramatically. It was the story that caught my eye because of the title. It really ties in with your story, (unlike my titles) And your story was beautifully written. I cried when she sacrificed her feelings to save Eli. P.S. can you look at my newest story? It's called "The Lass We Found In London"

Reply

Jade Young
20:59 Sep 16, 2020

Thank you😊 I'm really glad you enjoyed it❤ I'll have a look at your story right away😉

Reply

Artemisia Pearl
21:02 Sep 16, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tempest Wright
17:22 Sep 16, 2020

This is beautiful! I love it! You can feel the betrayal and the hurt by the father, and you can feel the love she has for Eli. It's a wonderful story! I enjoyed it so much.😊

Reply

Jade Young
18:37 Sep 16, 2020

Thank you so much😊 I'm really glad you were able to delve into her emotions, and that you enjoyed it ❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:15 Sep 16, 2020

Oh, the sadness of "royalty" that we don't always know goes on. The sacrifices that are made. We look at a beautiful girl in a crown and think she has the world at her feet. What a great job you did at showing how very much she wanted real love and couldn't have it due to her position in life. I enjoyed the story very much. You have a great gift and I look forward to reading more of your work!

Reply

Jade Young
11:36 Sep 16, 2020

Thank you so much Michelle😊 I'm really glad you liked it❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jade Young
11:54 Oct 03, 2020

Hey Michelle :) Part two of For Your sake, For Your Safety, is out now :D I hope you can enjoy it as much as you enjoyed part one ;D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Crystal Lewis
09:24 Sep 16, 2020

A very sad story but very descriptive and well-written. As others have said, I would definitely like to see more of this! It seems very interesting and is a pretty good build-up to a fantasy/medieval type story. :) Good job. Feel free to check out any of my stories.

Reply

Jade Young
09:29 Sep 16, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment, I really appreciate it😁 I'll be sure to notify you as soon as part two comes out😉❤ And I'll go check out your story right now😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gip Roberts
20:02 Sep 15, 2020

The way you built up the stakes and tension here. Incredible! I kept expecting it to come to an abrupt end with major unanswered questions like some stories crafted to become a series do, but regardless if that's the intention, this stands alone just fine the way you wrote it.

Reply

Jade Young
00:17 Sep 16, 2020

Thank you so much❤ I'm glad you enjoyed it. And thank you for saying it's perfect as a stand alone. Hearing that makes me so happy 😁❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bianka Nova
17:27 Sep 15, 2020

Oh, that was indeed a very strong representation of the "powerless" theme. I hope there's a miracle planned for part 2, otherwise those characters are in for some bleak future... 😢

Reply

Jade Young
17:31 Sep 15, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment, I really appreciate the feedback :D I hope there's a miracle in part 2 too ;) Stay tuned to find out, lol :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jade Young
11:55 Oct 03, 2020

Hey Bianka! Part two of For Your sake, For Your Safety, is out now :D I hope you can enjoy it as much as you enjoyed part one ;D

Reply

Bianka Nova
11:31 Oct 04, 2020

Nice! I'll check it out later today 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
PAMELA ABWAO
16:50 Sep 15, 2020

The story looks real . Reminds me of of stories monarchs and systematized marriage Eagerly waiting for your continuation

Reply

Jade Young
17:04 Sep 15, 2020

Thanks Pamela😊 I'm glad you liked it❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jade Young
12:02 Oct 03, 2020

Hey Pamela :D Just wanted to let you know that part two of For Your sake, For Your Safety, is out now :D I hope you can enjoy it as much as you enjoyed part one ;D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.