668 comments

Fantasy Suspense Thriller

“Nightmares are more convincing than dreams.”

My nana once told me that. Six-year-old me laughed it off. How could they be, when I awaited nighttime to fly and save the world and eat candy? When no nightmares ever plagued my mind, and if my teddy bear did die in Dreamland (ah, the tragedies of elementary school), a night spent cuddling in my parent’s bed vanished the nightmare from my mind?

She’d laugh at that too and say, “Okay, sweetie, good for you. But in the end, fear invokes more powerful emotions than happiness.”

But times changed. Night held more secrets now. 

And finally, over a dozen years later, I believed her, when new horrid dreams snuck up on me and I remembered them vividly, letting the good ones slip down the drain. When any rare whisp of a happy dream was replaced in my memory almost immediately. 

As I liked to say, swallowed by the nightmares. 


~


The nightmares started two months ago.

Buildings burning. Helicopters crashing. Cars ramming into me as I toppled off the high parking lot, down, down, down to a place of inky suffering and ancient secrets.

And it felt so real. Like déjà vu. I’d been here before, a long time ago, in another life. And now I recalled this horrid scene over and over and over again with frightening realization.

Screams, glass breaking, in a red car, hurling off the top level and falling.

Falling, always falling. 

I never got to the pit. Never finished the fall. Right before I met my end, I’d always awaken, palms bleeding with crescent prints from my fingernails digging into my skin. Panting. Gasping for air. Sweating.

So I’d get water, turn over my pillow, and try to go back to bed.

But that didn’t work.

And my sleep pattern changed. Go to sleep. Nightmare. Wake up past midnight, knit, take a walk, gulp some fresh air, whatever. Stall returning to hazy Dreamland. Then go back to bed and try to sleep till morning, other patchwork quilts of a nightmarish, blurry past hunting my mind as I squeezed my eyes shut.

But there was one young character who appeared in all of the repetitive dreams. She had a shock of fluffy black hair, waves highlighted with silver, tumbling to her waist. Her eyes were an iridescent mix, her left amber, her right a startling blue. A warm smile. She wore all black decked with gold rings and bracelets. And every night she screamed my name through the swirling dust.

“Aeliya! Aeliya! Aeliya!”

My name sounded so musical in her clear voice, but it was infused with terror. Or, more so, urgency. Like this girl was always trying to get to me, to tell me something important, but every time she got close, the dream would end. She’d be running after me as I stumbled to escape from the fiery red car, extending a hand. I’d try to take it, looking up at her with pleading eyes, but then the car would topple and I’d fall, fall, fall, away from the mysterious teenage girl and her black hair, away from reality towards the pit I’d never reach.


~


I was going to the grocery store when I met her.

Really. The most anticlimactic grocery trip at 7 a.m. because I wanted chocolate. My golden hair was tied up in a messy bun, no makeup, ratty gray sweatshirt and such big circles under my eyes they looked like bruises.

I walked into Hannaford half-asleep, walked out half-asleep with a bag of groceries, keeping my head down. Step by step by step, hoping I wouldn’t have to talk to anyone in public.

Then someone bumped into me.

“Eeek!” I stumbled forward, catching myself before I face planted but letting go of the grocery bag. Chocolate almonds and bananas spilled across the parking lot, and as a broke college student, that rubbed me the wrong way.

I turned around and scowled. “Hey-”

But then I saw the person.

A girl. With bushy, flowing black hair and multicolored eyes. A concerned expression on her face which quickly melted to elation.

She wasn’t a girl. She was the girl. 

And I screamed.

You best bet I took off running, leaving my $30 of groceries on the pavement, hair streaming out of my bun. I didn’t have a place in mind, just away. 

So I ran. I ran and ran and ran as the winds picked up, a few plump raindrops falling down. I whirled past the dog park, Costco, a hair salon. And when I glanced behind me, in the distance was the girl from my dream. She hadn’t, I don’t know, evaporated yet.

She was real.

And once my straight-up surprise and fear melted to a more logical semi-calmness and confusion, I thought as I ran.

The girl in my nightmares was here, in real life.

Which could mean two things. The nightmares were actually real life. Or this “real life” was actually a nightmare. 

Both sounded terrifying. Static raced through my mind, electric, sneaky, confused.

Hmm.

If my past dreams were real, I would have died ten times over. So I remembered another thing Nana had said: “If you’re not sure you’re dreaming, find a clock. There aren’t any clocks in dreams.”

So I slowed down to a jog, taking deep breaths. My body was in questionable shape after almost no sleep lately. I ducked into a Trader Joes. Even in the morning, the place was bustling, so I swerved past isles of cheese sticks and freeze-dried fruit to arrive at the back of the store.

There they were. Twin bathrooms wedged between an aisle of postcards, and above them, a clock reading 7:17. 

I swallowed another scream, mind racing. Without thinking, I rushed into the bathroom and locked the door to a stall, letting my hair spill across my shoulders. Ragged breaths and swarming thoughts.

And sure, maybe you think I’m overreacting. But you try being plagued by nightmares for as long as you can remember and a character from them pops out of nowhere on a snack trip.

Yeah. It wasn’t pretty.

But luckily Aeliya Adele was pretty logical, and though having a hot head meant it was hard to keep a cool train of thought, I was determined to stop running around half-crying. So I stayed in that bathroom for a solid five minutes thinking about what would happen if I walked out and saw the Dream Girl again.

Here’s the thing. The world she came from was horrific. But she, herself? She was a warm presence, a flame flicking in darkness. She was the girl a little younger than me who so desperately wanted to see me, to save me, to tell me something. Of course I always died so she never got the chance.

And now, she was here.

(A place where I hopefully wouldn’t die at the end of the story, but I was crossing my toes just to be safe.)

So the next action was simple: Meet the nice girl.

Hear what she had to say.

Maybe get an explanation.

And hope, just hope, the rest of my nightmares didn’t come to life with her.

And so, I marched out of the bathroom, out of the store, and into the cool, cloudy morning, where my confidence practically drained away.

There she was.

“Aeliya!” the girl exclaimed, black hair flowing in the breeze as she rushed forward and gave me a tackle-hug. As a germaphobe, her literally squeezing me didn’t quite unknot the tangle my stomach was in. “I’m so happy I found you!”

I swallowed, cautiously hugged back, and when she pulled away, I took in her face. Olive-tan skin. Full lips, smiling. Wide nose framed by her captivating eyes, which studied me. She looked maybe sixteen or seventeen.

After a moment of silence, I gave an awkward laugh, backing up. I still didn’t feel very safe. “Sorry, this is—this is awkward. Who are you?”

Her smile melted. She now spoke with urgency. “I’m Rani. I'm here to protect you, to inform you. I’m from above.”

I decided to circle back to her previous words later, which sent a fresh round of goosebumps down my skin. Around us people streamed out of the Trader Joe’s, though the roads were still almost empty. The perks of having a small town in Maine. “Above what?”

“The earth.”

I blinked at her. “So, you’re what? An angel?”

“Nope.”

“A goddess?”

“Far from. All you need to know is that I’m good.”

“As opposed to…” I prompted.

“Bad. And she’s here for you too. She sent the nightmares. She’s here to trick you, to kill you, but something worse, to—”

“WATCH OUT!”

A new voice—or rather, a new speaker, because she sounded exactly like Rani—shoved me to the side. I crumpled to the ground, landing on the damp pavement of the street. From the corner of my eye, I saw Rani—a second Rani, a girl who appeared exactly the girl from my nightmares as well—jump over me and tackle Rani #1. They both thudded to the ground, toppling over each other on the floor until I wasn’t sure who was which. I ripped my eyes away from the brawl for a moment because I was in the gosh darn street.

“Are you okay?”

A stream of help from the people on the sidewalk overwhelmed me, a dozen people helping me up and muttering with concern. Another perk of a small town, I guess: people looked out for each other.

“Thanks,” I said, brushing off my clothes, then turned back to the Rani’s.

The people didn’t seem to have noticed them, but the crowd kept a wide berth of the identical teens nonetheless. I had no idea who was the original girl from my dream now, but as they both edged forward, Rani #2 said, “Here, watch out. I’m going to make an invisibility shield. The people can’t see us anyway but you don’t want to be seen talking with air, do you?”

Before I could process what she said, a dome of sky blue appeared over us, the wave of energy causing me to stumble again. This time I looked up and saw both Rani #1 and Rani #2 offer me a hand.

I let them both help me up. Rani #1 squealed, “Gosh, so sorry about that. Are you okay?”

Rani #2 huffed. “Give it a break. Your act isn’t fooling anyone.”

“What act?”

They both turned to me with those luminous eyes. 

“She’s impersonating me,” Rani #2 explained.

“No, I’m not!” Rani #1 said. “Stop trying to confuse her!”

They bickered for a bit then Rani #1 turned to me. “Aeliya, I’m your friend. I want to help you. To explain to you.”

“No, I’m your friend,” Rani #2 promised. 

Rani #1 cut in, “I explained some stuff to you a few minutes ago, remember?”

“Yeah.”

“It was me who did that!” Rani #2 said.

Then they both turned to me again and spoke in unison: “I’m good. She’s bad. Trust me.”

As they sputtered at each other for a bit, I felt my head whirl. I just wanted some chocolate. Now the two supposedly good people from my nightmares were arguing over who was legit and who was trying to trick me. And I knew I would have to choose who to follow.

Right then, I was leaning towards Rani #2. My heart wanted Rani #1 in that moment—she seemed nicer, at least, more like the squealing girl I originally met—but my mind insisted Rani #2 seemed more down-to-earth, though possible that was bad if she was supposed to come from above the earth.

But I hadn’t made my choice yet, because the Rani’s weren’t done talking.

(And remember I was freaking out during all of this. I was panting, soaked with sweat through the cool air, pedestrians acting as thought I was invisible—which I guess I was. My nightmares came to life, kinda, and when I thought I got lucky and only encountered the good part—one of them was evil. Great.)

“I want to explain a bit more,” announced Rani #2. “Hi, Aeliya. I know this must be a little confusing for you, but one of us is a nightmare. And one is a dream.”

“It’s your choice to choose who to follow,” said Rani #1. “I only have your best interests in mind.”

“You need to believe me,” pressed Rani #2. “She’s faking it! Aeliya, you need to listen. I need to protect you.”

“From what? You?” Rani #1 snorted. She turned back to me and grabbed my hands, eyes sparkling, but with something deeper, like she held a secret. Good or bad, I didn’t know. “I’ve followed you in every nightmare, Aeliya. Tried to calm the waters she sent.”

“I’ve tried to find you,” said Rani #2. “I love you, Aeliya. Please.”

I was taken aback by both of them. My impressions switched. Now my heart held a spark with Rani #2, who seemed more real and compassionate. But my mind favored Rani #1, who seemed invested in her facts, speaking them like she believed with all her heart. I turned to Rani #1’s endless, glittering eyes. “So I have to choose one of you?”

“Yes. Pick well, Aeliya,” Rani #2 said, swallowing.

I took a deep breath. I still had a feeling and a thought of who to pick, but the options clashed. A path for my heart, a path for my brain, one which held good unknown and the other uncertainties with undertones whispering, This is the stuff your nightmares are made of, literally. And while some blindly followed their instincts, I favored logic. And so I turned to Rani #1, who took my hands, mouth twisting into a smile. “I choose you,” I murmured.

“What?”

I turned to Rani #2, trying to muster more courage. “I choose Rani #1,” I said, loudly and clearly.

Rani #2’s eyes widened, taking a sharp breath. “No, Aeli—”

But her words were cut off, as though she couldn’t speak. Her eyes darted widely, hands clamping over her lips. And maybe I was imagining it, but her feet seemed fainter, as though the fraudulent monster from the basement of the earth was fading away.

Serves you right, I spat in my mind, smiling at Rani #1, hoping, knowing I made the right choice.

She beamed back warmly, then it grew into a grin, and at some point her smile went from compassionate to maniacal. Something was off, tingles shooting down my spine like iced fireworks. “Ah, Aeliya, Aeliya, Aeliya, thank you for following your brain…”

That’s when I knew something was off. My name, repeated thrice, like in the dream, but Rani #1 didn’t sound like the girl from my nightmares at all.

I glanced back. Rani #2 was still speechless (literally—she couldn’t talk), almost halfway gone already, her thighs fading away as I spoke with the chosen Rani. Then I turned back towards Rani #1: “What’s happening to her?” Then, a little more forcefully. “Let her go.”

“From what?” She tutted, pulling back a strand of silver hair. “You condemned her to this when you picked me. Come on, don’t dwell on creatures of h…well, you know the rhyme.”

She giggled to herself.

“So she is evil.”

“Oh, gosh, yes, a pain in the butt. C’mon, Aeliya. I’m taking you to where fate awaits.”

She giggled at her own little rhyme again and lifted her hands. The shield melted into a bubble as we lifted off the ground, but then started sinking, down into the earth, the bubble shoving through cement yet leaving no trace with ease.

And that was the final straw for my lingering thought: sometimes logic leads you astray. Ice poured through my body. Oh no, oh no, oh no…

My body started evaporating, tingling, then buzzing, like parts of me were being scattered elsewhere. The same thing happened to Rani #1, splotches of her missing, who clarified, “We’re teleporting. Slowly.”

Rani #2 continued vanishing, just her bobbing head now. 

And as my body disintegrated, heading towards somewhere with the girl from my dreams I picked in hope she was actually the one, Rani #1 let out a high pitched cackle.

The sound shot through my head as black started to cloud my vision, and I heard Rani #1 singsong the lyrics,


“You see the ghosts in the ghost town 

The footprints of the things that went down 

Years and years ago 

Stay true to home 

Now you’re broke 

And alone

So you stay with the ghosts…”


I realized it as part of the chorus of the song “Ghosttown”, a pop hit by Samara A. from a few years ago. The song talked about a person who was unable to let go after their life went downhill, clinging onto ancient scraps of good since swallowed by horrors.

More realization jolted through me.

Was that a comparison to now?

Me hoping this girl was the good in a sea of bad?

Holding so desperately to something that wasn’t there?

Could that mean-

But that meant-

Yes.

It did, as I knew with frightening certainty.

Time seemed to speed up, sweat caking my rapidly leaving body as another cackle came from Rani #1. I stole a last wild glance at Rani #2–only her eyes were left, those unforgettable eyes, iridescent amber and warm blue, pleading and compassionate like the girl in my dreams.

And I tried to say sorry as best as I could, but the words didn’t come out as Rani #1 finished teleporting—disappearing from the bubble—and I was almost gone. And at that moment, eyes locking with the true Rani’s who had the best intentions for me all along, I thought back to what Nana had said a long time ago, the words ringing true now that I had fallen for the illusions of darkness:

“Nightmares are more convincing than dreams.”



July 20, 2021 14:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

668 comments

Sunny 🌼
19:11 Jul 20, 2021

damn- this was...really good like I didn't really know what do expect from this story but wOw and when you ended the story with the same line yous tarted with- *chef's kiss* that's like trick #1 to leaving the reader with chills!

Reply

19:21 Jul 20, 2021

:0 omg thank you- eeeeeep thanks so much Sarah, glad you enjoyed it lol <3 yusss

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:01 Jul 20, 2021

Ayelina sounds like Aerin. Super-good story, had me on the edge of my seat! When you first described the girl with floofly black hair I imagined her like Sisu.

Reply

19:22 Jul 20, 2021

Thanks so much, Em! WAIT LOL YOU’RE RIIIIGHT although Rani prob has a more cOnTrOlLeD expression and she’s like prettier I guess?? I dunno how to put this. TYYY

Reply

14:43 Jul 21, 2021

That's ok! I generally imagine people looking like Sisu now. I have to read the descriptions really well to get that image, and when I don't? Sisu.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
09:06 Jun 16, 2023

OMG LOVE IT. THIS IS SUCH AN AMAZING STORY, DEFINITELY MY FAVOURITE. :))))

Reply

19:51 Jun 18, 2023

THANKS BBG

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zatoichi Mifune
09:24 May 30, 2023

This is just... I have no words. I love it. I can't say any more, even though this story definitely deserves more.

Reply

23:03 May 30, 2023

Thank you so much, no words is one of the highest compliments to receive as an author! I’m so glad you liked my story 💛

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shaylynn Skinner
21:02 Feb 02, 2022

DANG.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. yep I am making you scroll! ...

Reply

23:08 Feb 04, 2022

AHAHAHAHAHAHA IG I’M MAKING U SCROLL TOO HAH TY BUT YEAH BEFORE THIS SITE DIED THAT WAS THE USUAL INTERACTION ON MY STORIES, NOW I’M THE SECOND-MOST FOLLOWED PERSON ON REEDSY AND I HAVEN’T CRACKED 40 LIKES ON MY NEWEST LOL TYYYY :DDDD SAMEEEE EEEE I’M BUSY BUT BORED OKI WELL ADIOSSSSSS

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
19:44 May 18, 2022

oof i lost that acc but hi hru lol this is my new account

Reply

15:29 May 22, 2022

OMG HEYYYYY your bio is so random I love it lol also hmm- trump 2022? Doesn’t rly matter BUT what does matter is, r u homophobic?? that was so random but I have ~criteria~ and I’m gay so y’know how ya doinggggg I’m so boreddd lol

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
23:20 May 22, 2022

LOL No im not homo im bi homo's are idiots im also bored lol Trump 2022 idk bored af XD Also added you to my random bio XD

Reply

00:43 May 23, 2022

omgggg fast reply slayyy okay I’m so so confused, you’re bi too?? slay! but what was that about calling homosexual people idiots because I’m completely lost on where you stand in gay rights rn 😭😭 tbh nobody 2022, none of the candidates were great BAHAHA ty <33

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hi Aerin, how are u? Can u do me a huge favor and vote for me here: Here is the link to give me a CLAP : https://awards.storymirror.com/program/7737c3b5-c02c-4c7b-8a57-180cad19a2df/english/author/o2ifxdqp/story/class_8_12 Looking forward to your support! Refer the steps here - https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yxv5Z11nz_4&feature=share

Reply

23:27 Jan 20, 2022

Hiiiiii I’m doing good, wbu? K!

Reply

Show 0 replies
23:28 Jan 20, 2022

Oh wait sorry it requires me to download a whole app to clap for you and I literally don’t have enough storage oop alsjahagaha

Reply

Thats great! Oh no worries, lol! If possible can u share it? Ty!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Sia S
10:48 Jan 20, 2022

Hey sis

Reply

16:32 Jan 20, 2022

HEYYY

Reply

Sia S
06:25 Jan 21, 2022

HOW U DOIN

Reply

00:50 Jan 22, 2022

I’M DOING GOOOOOD JUST POSTED A STORY YAY (I’D LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK IF U FEEL LIKE IT) WHAT ABOUT YOUU

Reply

Sia S
16:51 Jan 23, 2022

YAYYYY DOUBLE YAYYYY (SHUT UP IM ALWAYS HAPPY TO READ SOMETHING BY YOU) IM FINE AS WELL EXAMS COMING SOON SO WELP-

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
13:27 Jan 17, 2022

Aerin!!! Where have you been? I have missed you here on Reedsy!!!!!!!!1

Reply

19:33 Jan 17, 2022

Hiiiihihi!!!! Alskakjsjaa sorry, I wrote a story and everything but I didn’t post it haha How are you?

Reply

Dhwani Jain
03:04 Jan 18, 2022

When will it be posted??? I am great, just missing a lot of people here on Reedsy

Reply

01:34 Jan 19, 2022

It was for last week’s prompts so I’ll prolly never post it, but I also might be writing something new for this week :P Yesss same

Reply

Dhwani Jain
02:58 Jan 19, 2022

It doesn't matter which week's prompts it was for, anyways we are not going to enter in the contest for $5....so might as well upload it, right?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
05:22 Jan 19, 2022

Please fill this form to get to read a story about your character: https://forms.gle/CsGXbcPmVs8dDxmM7

Reply

00:52 Jan 22, 2022

Oooh I’ll do that soon thanks! also you wanted to know when I’d post the story and I just did!!! Actually wait I think you were wondering about last week’s story but lol yeah I’d rly appreciate your feedback if you have the time :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aiden Chu
11:20 Jan 13, 2022

Keep writing, you’re a very creative and excellent writer. I enjoy your stories. Don’t desert your Reedsy account, there are a lot of people like me who will support you through your career. Go Aerin!

Reply

03:05 Jan 14, 2022

Oop, thank you so much! I’m almost done with a story this week so maybe I’ll ~undesert~ this account, heh. Ty again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Akshara P
17:59 Jan 04, 2022

congrats on finishing your 4th novel!! are you gonna *try* to write something on reedsy again? some people *cough cough* me- can't live without your writing here, ya know? lol

Reply

01:45 Jan 06, 2022

Tyyyyy!!! Ahahaha maybe, I just have massive writer’s block. Also, the longer I DON’T post, the harder is feels TO post. Not to mention the perfectionist in my seeks validation from random internet strangers and there’s not a ton of people active on Reedsy rn so it’s also like whatever I post would probably flop anyways ouch- AHHH *cough cough* thank you eeee— hehe Read anything good lately? :D

Reply

Akshara P
06:01 Jan 06, 2022

The thing is people *are* active. They just don't read other's work anymore, including me (ever since the 5$ fee). People with low follower amount have like 2 likes on their work, and *need* to ask others to read them. This may be wrong to say but ever since the new updates, people with high amounts of followers are the only who's work is getting read... Yes and no lol- Months ago, I had to put "Love Letters to the Dead" down because it was making me so desperately sad. Almost a full year later, now, I read the last half of it with a lump i...

Reply

23:03 Jan 06, 2022

Hmmmm ~suspicious~. But yeah exactly, although I feel like that’s always how Reedsy has been? Most sites really, there’s an unfortunate algorithm where pretty much everyone only gets a few likes and goes unnoticed unless you have a ton of friends or followers. (*cough* Quora, Tiktok, whatever). *screaming* Oooooooh that sounds good! I don’t think I’ve ever actually cried over a book, so when people, like, commented on old stories like Zetta Grace saying they cried I’m pretty confuzzled to say the least lol. But ay maybe this book will break...

Reply

Akshara P
16:54 Jan 07, 2022

<3 Woah! You've never cried over a book before? What about a movie?!

Reply

00:27 Jan 08, 2022

Oof, I think movies have gotten me before—and shows. Since movies and shows are more visual, and can combine expertly filmed angles with sad music and everything, idk, they’re a lot better at making me cry than words on a page. :3

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Luna 🌹
07:24 Dec 20, 2021

hello aerin lol

Reply

23:11 Dec 27, 2021

HULLO

Reply

Luna 🌹
12:54 Dec 29, 2021

whatsup? nice to meet you :)

Reply

04:52 Dec 30, 2021

WAIT I THOUGHT I WAS TALKING TO MY FRIEND LUNA YOU’RE A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PERSON LOL HI

Reply

Luna 🌹
05:19 Dec 30, 2021

UMM WELL NO, I AM A DIFFERENT PERSON LOL so, i wanted to ask you a few questions about reedsycasts... if you don't mind? (everyone doesn't seem to know the answers to them, and told me to ask you lol-)

Reply

15:44 Dec 30, 2021

HAHA YEEEE Oooooooooh of course!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Im really sorry this has nothing to do with the story, but how did you make your username a different font? ive tried almost everything but it still doesnt work. id love it if you could reply. thx

Reply

23:11 Dec 27, 2021

Here’s a site you can use!: https://lingojam.com/CoolTextFonts

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

HIII So i was just like-y'know, tryna find ya 'cuz i'm HELLAAAAA boreddddd *cough, def not singing lEt It GoOoOoO* And soooo when i went to my like following pages, i couldnt find your name and i was like: "OH SHISH KEBAB! DID I UNFOLLOW AERIN?!!!! HOW COULD I?!!?!?!!?" And then i saw your name and i was like "oh, phew, false alarm." But how's things been going? Good? Bad? Eh?

Reply

23:12 Dec 27, 2021

HIIII ayyyyy SAME *HA the Disney songs I’m singing rn are all from Encanto, THEY’RE ALL SO CATCHY AHH* HAHAHA hOw dArE yOu??? but ty lol Pretty good! Finished a 6-hour road trip, phew. You?

Reply

Hallooo! Sorry for like-responding a YEAR later. So, my friend told me Bruno's name (from Encanto) was og Oscar, but they changed it to Bruno so it would rhyme with "we don't talk about brunonono" and I was like WhAt??? Ooh! I don't like roadtrips 'cuz I get car-sick lol Soo, omicron is like REALLY strong and like my fam's being REALLY cautious (*forgot how to spell cautious for a moment*) and I HATE OMICRON/COVID/DELTA VIRUS >:( Anyway, i was just thinking of a parody of the virus's, it's the theme of jingle bells. Jingle bells Masks ...

Reply

03:08 Jan 14, 2022

HAH how dare you be a year late 😌😌 AYOOOOO that makes sense tho Oof yeah, like half the people in my classes are missing from school since everyone is getting sick and you just KNOW it’s that one “popular” friend group who doesn’t seem to remember COVID protocols. HAHA YES I LOVE IT I’m doing great!!! I mean I had two mental breakdowns two hours ago but now I’m mostly good 😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎 tomorrow I have two quizzes so that is LovEly You?

Reply

Hallooooo! My bad for being late, lol. My friend got covid (i think) 'cuz she wasn't there for school for a while and our whole class had to get tested because our teacher said someone in our class go covid D: I got negative but i'm worried that like i might get covid cuz i was close contact with her... OMG! YEAH! Like that "popular" friend group just being like "ugh, i'm never gonna get covid, like y'all. No masks needed🙄" But there's also like the sports kiddos, like a ton of kids in our class take their masks off, when we're outside f...

Reply

23:35 Jan 21, 2022

Nah my bad for being even more late hah WOOOAH yikes!! On the other hand, man, your whole class had to get tested for one close contact? At my super liberal, tight-knit-community school my friends are, like, disappearing left and right and no one bats an eye anymore. EVERYONE is a close contact oop. NO FRRR FRR Hah yeah! I mean to be fair I typically take my mask out when I’m at the playground across from my school, but I’m doublevaxxed and boosted and pretty much everyone else has their masks on. Mine is off cuz, y’know, I’m pushing 500 po...

Reply

Show 2 replies
00:51 Jan 22, 2022

SORRY I’M BACK LOL BUT absolutely random but I my first story in a while was just posteddddd and I’d love your feedback on it if you feel like checking it out :DD Thank you (if you want to)!!

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:19 Dec 12, 2021

AERINNNNN IT'S BEEN TOO LONGGGG

Reply

23:13 Dec 27, 2021

I’M LITERALLY TWO WEEKS LATE WHICH PROVES YOUR POINT AHHHH HI

Reply

03:46 Dec 28, 2021

LOLLL UR GOODDDDD HIIII

Reply

04:52 Dec 30, 2021

HOW ARE YOUUU

Reply

20:47 Dec 30, 2021

IM GOODDDD HBUUU

Reply

16:03 Jan 02, 2022

I’M REALLY GREAAAAATTTT I FINISHED A BOOK AND MANAGED TO BINGE WATCH THE WHOLE TWILIGHT SERIES IN THREE DAYSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ANY GOOD BOOKS YOU’VE READ LATELY?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sarah Freeman
19:22 Dec 09, 2021

I’m showing my friend Aanya Reedsy!!! Hopefully she’ll have an account soon lol And ARE YOU EDITING CQ 2 YET seriously it’s been months since you told me

Reply

23:13 Dec 27, 2021

Idk who that is but yay lol *silence* I’M PROCRASTINATING OKAY I’m gonna finish my Fire novel tonight so THEN I’ll start editing

Reply

Sarah Freeman
22:02 Dec 29, 2021

Wonderful, another novel to add to the list of un-edited, un-published novels you wrote because you didn’t want to edit the one you already finished. On a slightly less sarcastic note, what’s your latest about?

Reply

04:50 Dec 30, 2021

I KNOW RIGHT SO FUN um. it’s kinda all over the place. (has good reviews from my cousin tho.) the main character is this 15-y/o aspiring singer/songwriter named Ash, and then there some global drama with this anonymous celeb called Lady Moon (think Greta Thunberg, but more ‘smart and mysterious and manipulating everyone) who Ash figures out is kinda scamming everyone? So there’s a mystery and also a romance-ish subplot (aka me shipping Ash with everyone since c’mon it’s a bunch of teens what else can I do besides write drama into it) and al...

Reply

Sarah Freeman
19:24 Dec 30, 2021

Wait she’s like Greta how? Like she’s an environmental activist, or like she has Asperger’s (which would be a really strange way of putting that), or like she’s Swedish? Or a combination of the three??

Reply

16:04 Jan 02, 2022

Pretty much she’s just a young activist. That’s it. That’s all she has in common (Greta was the first person that came to mind). It’s mostly for like homeless and jobless people, and, again, her whole thing is raising a bunch of money for them, but she’s KEEPING the money, and of course Ash is like *slitted eyes* and yeehaw

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshara P
04:57 Dec 05, 2021

hello! I hope you're doing well. :) New story out, would love your feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kat Sencen
03:36 Dec 05, 2021

Just wondering... are you still on reedsy? I've noticed that a) your most recent story was five months ago and b) your bio was made pre-NaNoWriMo. I've definitely deserted reedsy, though I still occasionally check in... I'm just wondering if you're still on???

Reply

23:15 Dec 27, 2021

KINDA LOL I log on every now and then but I’m super inactive alaksjajshahsggasgfafshsjakksjahagsgaga

Reply

Kat Sencen
04:21 Jan 11, 2022

Well you can't be more inactive then me I was literally on a six contest in a row streak last June and then I basically stopped indefintitely..

Reply

03:06 Jan 14, 2022

AHAHA same tho, I haven’t posted a story for 6 months 💃🏻💃🏻

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
20:24 Dec 03, 2021

Oh dang... Well that sure is unfortunate to our main character. All jokes aside though, I absolutely loved this!!! I loved the narrater; she was sort of charismatic yet sarcastic, which, I find, is a great combination. Also it has been so long Aerin, how have you been??? I have finally posted another story :D (well more of a poem)

Reply

23:16 Dec 27, 2021

*gah I’m so late sorry* HAHA it sure it Ahhh thank you so much!!! I’m doing awesome, what about you??? OOOOH ima check it out now

Reply

Kate Reynolds
01:33 Dec 28, 2021

Lmaoo not a problem :D Ofccc! I'm doing pretty good, very busy though lol

Reply

04:53 Dec 30, 2021

Ay that sounds good! Although are you not on winter break alskaksjajdjhahdhf

Reply

Kate Reynolds
19:45 Dec 31, 2021

I am on winter break lol But I have a bunch of things I have to study for, including midterms once school starts again and I have competitions and aghhasldkg

Reply

16:03 Jan 02, 2022

oki oki lol Ooooooooh okay well hope…you…get less busy soon??? What kind of competitions tho, that sounds cool :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Veronica M
17:14 Dec 03, 2021

I'm booooooored are you bored? Wanna talk? I'm in French class right now but all the work is so confusing and boring. I kind of wanna write. Have you seen the new prompts?

Reply

23:21 Dec 27, 2021

I’M SO LATE AHHHHH SORRY LOL But anyways, hiiiiii! I’m indeed sorta bored but yeeeeeeeeee how ya doing?

Reply

Veronica M
04:22 Jan 04, 2022

IT'S OKAY LOL I DO THAT SOMETIMES HEHE Hiiii! I'm doing good. How was your Christmas? Are you starting online school in two days or is that just here?

Reply

01:46 Jan 06, 2022

Hiii! My Christmas was great, thanks! And actually I was due to go back to in-person school on Monday, but it was snowed out, and yesterday was canceled for snow, and today, AND. TOMORROW. WAS. JUST. CANCELED. Tbh I’m actually pissed at this point because it hasn’t snowed since Monday morning and WE’RE USING UP ALL OUR SNOW DAYS ALSKKASJAHDD I JUST WANNA SE MY FRIENDS AGAIN but uh *cough* anywayssss— What about you?

Reply

Veronica M
02:41 Jan 06, 2022

Hahaha oh nooooo Mine was online so obviously snow days wouldn't matter, but I barely got any snow here anyway. It was very windy and cold, but there was only a tiny layer of snow and it wasn't even the good kind. It was just the gross, wet kind. :( I hope you can see your friends again soon. I can't really see mine anyway because I'm the only one who turns on their camera lol. The teachers really like me because of that 😂. We've both been kind of unactive story-wise, so are you working on anything right now? I keep telling myself that...

Reply

22:55 Jan 06, 2022

Aw, I’m sorry :( Hopefully you get really snow soon eeee thanks lol! And HA yeah, back when I still have online school I was, like, the only kid with my camera on.😫 Haha, I wish I could say I even do that, but tbh, I haven’t even looked at the prompts in ages. Since I finished my novel like a week ago I’m not writing a lot, since I need to focus on ~editing~ before I start something new. Reedsy short stories are obviously a loophole, but idk, I’m just not feeling very inspired oop

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

I'M HERE TO SPAM UUU

Reply

23:23 Dec 27, 2021

A MONTH LATER BUT THANKS LOLLL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.