299 comments

Fantasy Science Fiction Teens & Young Adult


Two figures stood on a balcony, the Sinistrian palace in view from over the forests. It stood proudly, overlooking the river's bay that bridged their kingdom to Riverdeen.


The girl stared intently at the gleaming spires, elbows resting on the white stone rail. "Do you think it'll be this year?" she asked, voice laced with curiosity, not minding the strands of chocolate brown hair that whipped mercilessly into her face. The male tried to glare at her, but couldn't. 


He instead sighed, crossing his arms. He stood with his back against the stone and faced away from the palace. 


"You'd get in trouble if they heard you talking like that." He said, and the girl scoffed. 


"It's not like you'd tell on me." She replied with a playful roll of her eyes.


"I might." 


She shook her head, the liveliness vanishing for a brief second. "You know what happens, Aurin." 


He didn't need to respond, but looked away. "Don't remind me." He mumbled, voice a whisper. He wouldn't dare give her such a fate. There were already nine per year. There didn't need to be more.


***************Three Days Ago******************


"It's going to begin soon." A cruel smile painted the middle- aged woman's face. She ran her fingers over the control panel, keys glowing as she touched them. She pressed a small, green button, holographic images of ten people appearing in front of her. Names and information about them filled boxes underneath. She swiped all the others aside, zooming in one image so that she could see the person's face.


 "He's the Emrys." she said, the question implied. She glanced at her white- clothed assistant who looked down at her tablet, then nodded. She didn't need to check, however. Everyone knew who Altair and Alaric Emrys were. 


"Yes, Altair. The older one."


 "His sibling's name?" she asked, eyes glittering with animosity.


"Alaric." The young woman answered, showing her supervisor something on the device. She swiped up on his image to make the screen blank, typing something in. A picture of a young boy, about ten or eleven years old, materialized in Altair's place. It faded away, replaced with one of a teenager. His face was angular yet soft, still having the childlike quality like the previous image. His eyes were dark, but still a brilliant shade of blue.


"Ah. I see." she stared at Alaric for a few moments before turning to the young woman. "You know what to do, Riva." She looked back at the image of the young boy before walking out. 


Riva watched the woman stride away, the sound of high heels clacking on the white floor ringing through her ears. She turned back to the control panel, typing something in, then walking out as her overseer had. She continued down a long, white hallway, navigating through the twisting corridors. Riva stopped at a set of large, white double doors, pressing her hand to the panel and waiting as it scanned. With a small clicking sound, the doors opened and she walked in, hugging the device to her chest.


 She didn't make eye contact with anyone, hurrying down the pathway in the middle of the room while trying to blend in. Someone grabbed her shoulder, and she spun around in alarm. 



"Riva." The person said, the slightest of smiles tugging at the corners of his lips. "I didn't expect to see you here."


She fumbled for words, but they slipped from her grasp. "Verone needed me to do something." She murmured, looking around before meeting his eyes. "Involving the Emrys."


His eyes lit up, and he gestured for Riva to follow him. "I was actually on my way there." 


After a moment she followed him as they walked through, each large room having closed off sections on either side. It was like being in an Infirmary, with patients lying still on their cots. Connected to monitors by thin tubes, white curtains shielding them from everyone's view. But this wasn't an Infirmary, and the people weren't patients. Not the type one would usually think of, anyway.


Everything was already planned out. What everyone would do, what would happen for the years to come. Nothing was a mystery. There were no unknown factors that they would have to add into the equation of The Dragon Races.


That was good. It kept everything in order. Right? 


Another door loomed in front of them. He pushed it open without a second thought, Riva following after moment of hesitation. 


The robotic movements of the figures in white made her uneasy, even though Riva knew she was one of them. 


He stopped at a final entryway, waiting for Riva to catch up before opening the door. This place was a maze of them.


"Again!" one of the white- coats instructed. The figure in the middle did nothing. They stood trapped in a cage, of sorts, a translucent material like glass surrounding him in a bubble. The white-coat pressed a button on a small, rectangular device. The person in the middle doubled over, tortured screams echoing through the room. "Again." they hissed after a minute. The person turned, raising his hands towards a spherical object. He stumbled as white energy flecked with black coiled around his hands. It was so bright Riva had to look away. The mass grew until it filled the entire space. It pushed at the glassy boundaries, but was unable to break through. The orb pulsed brightly as the energy hit it, seeming to absorb the white. 


This continued for another minute or so, before the person in the cage collapsed. Riva pushed forward, glancing down at her tablet. "His breathing's too shallow." she said to another white-coat, voice taught. "If you continue, won't be able to handle it." 


The man turned to her, eyes landing on her small, bronze pin. "Subject 214, you mean? When she didn't answer, he glared. "Isn't that correct, Medic?" 


"Yes, sir." she said with a small dip of her head, biting her lip. "I apologize. But you shouldn't push him so hard. He can't-" 


"You wouldn't want to take his place, would you?" 


A chill traveled down her body at his words. She had seen what happened when someone disobeyed. Riva quickly shook her head, looking down at the floor. 


"That's what I thought." He said with a smirk, though the satisfied expression didn't reach his emotionless eyes. "So keep your mouth shut, and do as told." 


The man stalked past her, the white- coats moving out of the way as he left, door slamming closed. She let out a sigh of relief as the fear blanketing the room exited with the official. 


She looked over at the person on the other side of the barrier. He didn't even look eighteen. What must have once been dirty blonde hair stuck plastered to his forehead. The boy's breathing was almost nonexistent. The only sign he lived being the hazel eyes that met Riva's for a brief moment. She turned away, looking over at her companion. 




"Lein..." Why am I going along with this? Why are you? 


He sighed, shaking his head. "Because Verone knows best." She knows everything.


He had tried to cover up the uncertainty in his voice. The statement wasn't only trying to assure Riva, but also himself. 


The Sinistrian Council knew everything- nothing came unnoticed. This was all for the greater good of uniting the Five Kingdoms. Of keeping the balance between Tenebris and Lux, Dark and Light. 


They knew where people were, what they were doing, and how anything that happened would effect the future. 


The Council was omniscient about everyone and everything.


**************************


"Verone! You're just on time." The white- coat smiled warmly, ushering her into the room. She stared up at the five large screens in the center, one for each kingdom. "Forane is about to announce the contestants."


She nodded curtly, strolling towards the last empty chair in the row. People dipped their heads as she walked past. She didn't have time for pleasantries, and grabbed the tablet a white- coat handed to her.


Verone glanced down at it. There were now eight names and eight images, each one of a different person who would soon compete. A devious smile shifted on her lips as she looked down at one person's picture. Therin Caius, a competitor from Sinistra.


The room quieted as the final screen flickered on, showing the official from Forane. 


"Sixteen to twenty- one, stand." 


She looked back down at the tablet, gaze scanning over the profile for the blonde Sinistrian. Everlys. Her sister, Althea, had died the year prior.



"Eriene Pyrallis." Her gaze snapped back to the screen. This hadn't been forseen. A volunteer? Murmurs of surprise arose. This hadn't been accounted for. Verone watched as Eriene's blood dripped into the small vial, eyes narrowing as she saw someone else stand. 


"Alaric Emrys." He said, looking almost identical to his brother the fateful day Altair chose his death. 


She couldn't hear anything but the gasps and appalled exclamations of everyone else in the room. Even the white- coats looked stunned.


Verone, however, smiled. They could calculate around the discrepancy. They would have both the younger Emrys as well as girl. 


The power the two would bring would finally be enough. 

December 16, 2020 22:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

299 comments

Nainika Gupta
23:18 Dec 16, 2020

Yay!! New story - there were no critiques as far as I could see, but I loved this continuation of the other parts :) Great job, fellow Mallow, and I can't wait for part 8!!!!!!! (and more after that???)

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:49 Dec 16, 2020

Thank you!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely more after Part 8!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:54 Dec 16, 2020

I'll make sure to include Nanika. Maybe a contestant from Riverdeen, because I didn't give them names yet? You also seem like a very Riverdeen-ian person. Very chill and very nice!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
23:58 Dec 16, 2020

ya know what?? I appreciate that characterization from an online friend - it means I've done something right :)

Reply

Nainika Gupta
23:58 Dec 16, 2020

and yay!! can't wait :)

Reply

Mira Caplan
00:00 Dec 17, 2020

:) :) :) :) :) I feel like a marshmallow in a cup of hot cocoa now...

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
00:31 Dec 17, 2020

YOU ARE AT 3000 MIRAAAAAAAAA YAYYYYYYYYYYY

Reply

Mira Caplan
00:44 Dec 17, 2020

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
00:09 Dec 17, 2020

OMG!!! this is my fav part BY FAR!!!!!! it fit the prompt, and it was a completely different style and point of view! I'm so curious to know what power Eriene and Alaric will bring. Keep writing!

Reply

Mira Caplan
00:17 Dec 17, 2020

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! You'll like Part 8, just sayin for next week!!!!!! :)

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
00:17 Dec 17, 2020

yay!

Reply

Mira Caplan
00:17 Dec 17, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
01:37 Dec 17, 2020

OMG YOU'RE AT 3000

Reply

Mira Caplan
01:50 Dec 17, 2020

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
17:45 Dec 17, 2020

I....I finally saw the video of the 202 MAMA Awards with Mamamoo....GYHDXSWD&RFTYU ITYLKTGFUTYCRTGH"OUKJHMNB

Reply

Mira Caplan
17:46 Dec 17, 2020

The transition between Aya and Dingga...those thrones at the beginning....Ok. They are OWNING the stage. I...I can't. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Reply

Mira Caplan
17:49 Dec 17, 2020

Solar with short hair....YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The choreo is SO GOOD I CAN'T. GYHJFVTHRFYIHKTGL&*U^YTRWSD&TFUY:KU>HGV

Reply

Mira Caplan
17:50 Dec 17, 2020

The Mama's are just an abbreviation for Mamamoo at this point....

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

I am happy for this ominous update. the last line is particularly chilling.

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:09 Dec 21, 2020

I'm glad you liked it!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
21:10 Dec 18, 2020

Just posted new stories!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
✰ Jennie ✰
22:24 Dec 17, 2020

Mira!!!! I'm very very very sorry I couldn't feature you as a big part in my new story, but can you pleeeeeeasse check it out? thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mila Van Niekerk
09:06 Dec 17, 2020

(brace yourself, this is going to be one very long comment) Hi!! I just read your bio and we have SO MUCH in common, it's kinda scary ngl. I'm a teen writer who loves drawing, especially characters from shows I watch ( like my hero acadamia, and the Dragon Prince, or Yuri on ice... or haikyu... I watch a lot of stuff😅) I'm also working on a novel/ series I want to publish one day (I'll try to put the details in my bio) and I have an OBSESSION with reading and writing. Me and one of the guys from my school are currently working on a series :...

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:14 Dec 17, 2020

OMG, that's totally awesome!!! That IS kinda scary, lol. I'll be sure to read your bio! (And your name, Mila, is really similar to mine... wow.)

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:17 Dec 17, 2020

Me, again! The story in your bio sounds AMAZING. 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:44 Dec 16, 2020

I'm still not that good at giving critique so ill just say this, this was another great story another great part to the series, ill give it a 10/10 :)

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:44 Dec 16, 2020

Thank you, B!!!!

Reply

B. W.
22:48 Dec 16, 2020

no prob ^^ are ya already planning on making another one of these at some point?

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:51 Dec 16, 2020

Of course! :) Probably next week, as usual

Reply

B. W.
22:52 Dec 16, 2020

how many parts do ya even think there'll be?

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:56 Dec 16, 2020

idk..

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
22:34 Dec 16, 2020

THAT WAS AMAZING!!!!! SEEEEEEEE YOU'VE GOTTEN SO MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:35 Dec 16, 2020

Thank you!!!!!!!! I used Hemingway Editor, lol. It HELPS SO MUCH

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:36 Dec 16, 2020

Anything I could fix? Any grammatical errors?

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:36 Dec 16, 2020

Btw, you didn't say amaxing (lol)

Reply

. .
23:32 Dec 16, 2020

AMAXING!!! I liked the descriptions and the characters and the scene!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:49 Dec 16, 2020

:) :) :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
K. M. Carpenter
15:25 Dec 26, 2020

Wow! You have me at the edge of my seat, waiting to see what happens next! I am beyond excited to read more!

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:20 Dec 26, 2020

Thanks for reading!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
16:20 Dec 26, 2020

Thanks for reading!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Kate Reynolds
20:33 Dec 25, 2020

NEW STORY!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya -
22:54 Dec 23, 2020

Guess what, a downvoter was just caught. Her name is Jane Plane.

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:10 Dec 23, 2020

Glad she was caught...

Reply

Maya -
23:12 Dec 23, 2020

Yeah, there's not much anyone can do though...

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:20 Dec 23, 2020

True...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hi, Mira! Great story!! Comment a bunch so I can upvote!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
14:36 Dec 22, 2020

Thank you!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
14:36 Dec 22, 2020

I don't know my fave character is

Reply

Mira Caplan
14:36 Dec 22, 2020

It might be Riva for this one...

Reply

Mira Caplan
14:37 Dec 22, 2020

Thank you for readinggg!

Reply

Mira Caplan
14:37 Dec 22, 2020

Who's your fave character?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
13:43 Dec 21, 2020

I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND THE PLOTTTT....... UGH

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:45 Dec 21, 2020

YOU UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the whole concept of talking/moving trees?????????????????? And magic???????

Reply

. .
13:46 Dec 21, 2020

I KNOWWWWWWWW BUT MAGIC SHE DIDN'T COPY THAT WAS ALREADY a thing... BUT EVERYTHING ELSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE AND GIMLI IS LITERALLY HAGRIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:49 Dec 21, 2020

IKR???????????? No one copied Arwen or Galadriel, thank goodness. No one's Legolas, either, cuz Legolas is too amaxing for anyone to copy

Reply

. .
13:50 Dec 21, 2020

LEGOLAS IS AWESOME!!!! GIMLI ARAGORN AND LEGOLAS ARE THE CUTEST FRIENDSSSSSS!!!! AND GALADRIEL IF SHE TOOK THE RING SHE WOULD MASTER IT, DESTROY SAURON AND BECOME THE MOST POWERFUL BEING ON MIDDLE-EARTH!!! SAME WITH GANDALF!!!!! Arwen is awesome. I sooooooo wanna go to Valinor when I dieeeeee

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:53 Dec 21, 2020

XDDD Legolas and Arwen are my favorites. Gimli, Aragorn, and Legolas are the GREATEST FRIEND TRIO EVERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If Galadriel, got the ring, it would be awesome. Because she might actually be able to control it and then destroy the evil people! Also, about Legolas, HOW IS HIS HAIR SO PERFECT?????????????????? EVEN WHEN FIGHTING, IT'S PERFECTLY....PERFECT. HOWWWW?????? I'M SO JEALOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
13:45 Dec 21, 2020

YOU UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the whole concept of talking/moving trees?????????????????? And magic???????

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
TJ Squared
04:33 Mar 10, 2021

This Riva is confusing me XD

Reply

Mira Caplan
12:58 Mar 10, 2021

Yep... XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
12:58 Mar 10, 2021

Yep... XD

Reply

TJ Squared
15:09 Mar 10, 2021

:))))))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Radhika Diksha
18:10 Jan 14, 2021

Amazing plot. I finally see the movie imprint going. I loved it overall.

Reply

Mira Caplan
18:14 Jan 14, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
18:14 Jan 14, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Unknown User
22:25 Dec 27, 2020

<removed by user>

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:27 Dec 27, 2020

Thank you!!! :) For Part 8, I'm writing the story for the "...in the span of ten seconds" prompt.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
06:07 Dec 21, 2020

Your bio is the most interesting thing in the world! ;)

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:09 Dec 21, 2020

Thank you!!! :)

Reply

Sia S
14:10 Dec 21, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
20:08 Dec 18, 2020

Hi Mira! THIS STORY WAS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!! (as usual) I have no suggestions!! Tell me when you post part 8, though!

Reply

Mira Caplan
21:24 Dec 18, 2020

Thank you!!!!! Part 8 won't be out until next week, seeing that none of the prompts really fit with it... I might b able to do something in the Altorian Universe (The Alden/TDR AU) with the proposal prompt, but probably not.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.