28 comments

Asian American Romance Speculative

“I knew you before we met and I don’t even know you yet. All I know is that you’re someone that I’ve always known. All I’ve ever known is how to hold my own, and I don’t even know you, but I still wanna hold you close.”


Mariko hopped off the subway into the large, cosmopolitan streets, her long hair flicking to the other side of the head. She had been in New York for a few weeks at this point, but still had no idea where she was going, or even what she was doing in such a large city. Mariko had loved the thrill of Tokyo as a child, but thrill wears off as times goes by, and in this case even after a couple weeks the initial shock of city life was wearing off into being just a pain. 


Of course, it could just be living in a strange new city with strange new people and a strange new language, but still, Mariko found herself lost many a time in New York, both with the physical landscaping of the complex city, and with the thorny nature of her relationship with it. 


Her relationships with cities were very complicated, to say the least. There was something her mother used to tell her about called musubi, the tie that binds, no matter what stood between it. Mariko thought that her relationship with both New York and Tokyo was a little bit like that. With Tokyo, she was bound to it through her connections and awe as a child, despite her deep hatred of the family she would visit there. With New York, the ties were always looser and more complicated, but still there. Her attachment to the city was one of wonder and desire to visit, of longing and interest. She had always wanted to see the city and experience life in it, but never could. 


Not until now. 


As Mariko stepped over the gap between the subway and the concrete, she felt her pinky finger brush up against something strangely warm. It only lasted for a second, but she felt an odd sense of comfort from the sensation. Glancing behind her, Mariko’s dark hair flipped again as she turned around to see what it was, looking up at the face of a young man, around her age. He shared her same jet black hair and brown eyes. As she stared into them, she remembered another thing her mother used to say.


“You have beautiful eyes, Mari. Take care of them. Eyes are the window to the soul. No one can ever look through another’s eyes, so we must take care of our own”


Mariko wasn’t entirely sure where she got that from. It wasn’t a Japanese expression, but she still said it, nonetheless. Of course, she would never be able to see what was going on through the man’s eyes, but it still made her wonder. Had he meant to touch her? What was he going to say now?


The man’s eyes grew wider as he stared into Mariko’s own gaze. Eyes are the window to the soul, she reminded herself, as she began to turn away. This interaction was pointless, just a means to get her distracted on her way to work. An excuse to know someone in a large city where she was lost. Nothing worth anything.


“Wait!” the man called out, reaching to touch her pinky again. “Don’t go!”


Mariko frowned, her head jostling around the people running to and fro. She understood those words. The man was speaking Japanese to her. Surprised, she turned back around, getting a better look at the young man.


“I’m Kenji,” he said, his mouth forming the words slowly, but surely. “Who are you?”


“You speak Japanese?” she replied, still in shock from the man speaking to her at all. Kenji laughed, his own matching jet black hair waving in the wind. “Of course,” he responded. “But you didn’t answer my question.”


Mariko sighed, pulling her hands back into her pockets. “I’m Mariko.”


“Mariko,” Kenji slowly articulated, letting his mind comprehend the name. She wondered what he was thinking. Perhaps the name meant something to him. Perhaps it meant nothing, because he was a stranger she had just met on the subway. The latter felt more likely. “Mariko, do you believe in soulmates?”


Mariko blinked. If anything, that wasn't what she expected for him to say. Soulmates were a concept found all over the world, but they weren’t necessarily something Mariko had a strong belief in. Pondering what to reply, she glanced to her left, at the subway zipping away through the tunnels through the rest of the city. It reminded her almost of when light refracts in straight lines, or when strings fall down diagonally. Each face peaked through the subway, but she still didn’t recognize a single one. That was either the beauty of the city, or Mariko’s curse, she decided. Not being able to notice a soul unless they were staring right at her and spoke her language. 


“I believe,” she started, looking at a young girl in the subway tying up a hair ribbon. “I believe in ties that bind.”


Kenji laughed, a smile cracking through his face. “Ah,” he said, his eyes sinking back in. “The string of fate.”


Mariko nodded. “Yeah,” she almost whispered, the words hardly making it out. “The string of fate.”


The string of fate. Ties that bind. Musubi. They were all connected, just like each and every person is. But the string of fate is what connects each person to their other half, no matter the distance or time. The string of fate holds your destiny, without any restrictions. It’s in everything, but it’s most prevalent in people, tying them to their soulmates.


“Would it be crazy,” Kenji continued, “if I told you we were connected through it?”


This time, it was Mariko’s turn to laugh. “Of course it would. You have no proof.”


Kenji smiled, his bright eyes growing wider again. “Well, let’s see,” he started, staring deep into Mariko’s eyes. “You ended up starting a conversation with someone who just happens to speak your language in a crowded city on your way to work.”


Mariko frowned, furrowing her brow. “You knew I was on my way to work?”


“Of course. It is rush hour, after all.”


Tilting her head to the side, Mariko nodded. “I guess that makes sense.”


Kenji smiled again, the crowd moving quicker than before throughout the tight concrete walkway. “Mariko,” he began, “for someone who claims to believe in soulmates, you seem to be quite adamant that we aren’t.”


Mariko’s eyes grew wider as she tried to comprehend what Kenji had just said. “I didn’t say I believed in soulmates,” she said slowly, trying to articulate each and every word. “I said I believed in ties that bind. Musubi. The string of fate. I believe in connections. I never said I believed in soulmates. And I certainly never said that I thought you were mine.”


Kenji sighed, as he looked down to his feet. “Mariko, I’ve been looking for my soulmate all year. You can’t just take this away from me when I’ve found her.”


Mariko laughed. “I said I believed in ties that bind, and now you’re saying that we’re bound. I don’t know why you’re in such a hurry to find your soulmate, but even if it is me, you can’t expect me to believe you.”


Kenji sighed again. “Mariko,” he started, like he had before. Mariko wondered why he always started talking by saying her name. “Mariko, I don’t want to live without her, whoever she is. I’ve found her now, I can’t just let her go.”


Mariko frowned. “How do you know it’s a she?”


“What do you mean?” Kenji tilted his head backwards.


“If you’re just looking for girls, you might have passed your soulmate ages ago.”


This time, it was Kenji’s turn to frown. “I never said I was just looking for girls. But I will admit, I was hoping it would be one.” He stopped here, opening his mouth to speak again. “Not that I have a problem with men, I just...like girls...more.”


Mariko laughed, another person pushing against her as they tried to make their way to work. “Musubi doesn’t work like that, Kenji. You don’t get to search for your soulmate. They come to you.”


“You didn't have to turn around when our hands touched, but you did.” Kenji stopped her to look down at his feet again, despite the people itching away from the subway and towards the stairs leading up to the even busier streets of New York. “I don’t know. I feel like that’s chance enough.”


A strong gust of wind came down through the subway entrance, blowing Mariko’s hair back. She smiled, thinking about her mother again and her firm belief in chance. Even if she didn’t like the family she would visit in Tokyo, she still liked the city, just like she still continued this conversation, no matter how strange she felt it was. Maybe Mariko just wanted a bit of familiarity from Kenji, just to hear her first language again and listen to people talk about philosophies she grew up with, even if her beliefs in them were wavering. Kenji was smiling, probably thinking that he'd stumped her. 


“Kenji,” she began, a smile coming across her face. “The year is almost up. I wish you luck in your search. But I have a job to get to, and as much as I enjoyed this conversation, I can’t keep waiting.”


Kenji nodded. “If you love someone, you have to let them go, I guess.”


“Exactly.” Mariko held out her hand to shake his before making her way up the stairway. “Goodbye, Kenji. Just remember, she’ll find you, you won’t find her, alright?”


Kenji nodded, but Mariko still thought he was unconvinced. She took a few steps forward on the stairs, the crowd moving her along. The wind was blowing strong, pulling her backwards. 


Perhaps it was a sign, though Mariko doubted it. Musubi isn’t something dictated by signs, it’s something that just happens. Sighing, she turned back cautiously, wondering what Kenji was thinking. Perhaps she had just made a mistake and had given up her soulmate, as unlikely as it felt. 


But alas, Kenji was gone, lost in the crowd of the New York subway. 

December 29, 2020 01:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

28 comments

Scout Tahoe
03:22 Dec 29, 2020

Shoot. I had the same idea. Or at least a similar one. But yours is fabulous, more than mine could ever be. Sad. Lovely. Beautiful. Honestly, Maya. Wow. No critiques. Well, there are some places that need periods but whatever. I’m in love.

Reply

Maya W.
03:25 Dec 29, 2020

Great minds think alike! Well, the last time I said that was when me and my friend both were taking a break from the internet but then he never came back, so maybe great minds...come up with similar story ideas? Idk. Thank you for the positive reinforcement, I really appreciate it, especially since I don't like this one that much :). And you should totally still write yours!

Reply

Scout Tahoe
04:08 Dec 29, 2020

Oh, wow. Sorry about that. Alright, and you're welcome!

Reply

Maya W.
04:10 Dec 29, 2020

Haha, it's fine!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
14:22 Aug 24, 2022

I don’t know why you don’t like this one, too long polishing the diamond? Editing can put you on a downer about work but it was really worth it here.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Scar Katelyn
03:25 Jan 08, 2021

Wow this was really amazing!! i love your writing ability and your descriptions are neat. The concept of soulmates was so cool. i hope you continue this. if not, i hope they end up together.

Reply

Maya W.
03:27 Jan 08, 2021

Thanks, Scar! Like I said in the other comments, if the prompts permit, I just may continue this, even though I'm not big on sequels at the moment. I like Mariko and Kenji, so, we'll see! Also, would you mind checking out some of my other stories? Thanks!

Reply

Scar Katelyn
03:27 Jan 08, 2021

Of course! i really like them :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zilla Babbitt
17:20 Dec 30, 2020

There's something about big cities that makes you feel so very alone. So small. The country, the wastelands, they make you feel lonely too, but it's because you really are alone out there. Big cities, so fast and busy, always seem to leave you behind, gasping for air. I sort of wish she'd gone with him, let herself be persuaded. I've read a few stories (wrote one! -- "Delilah") like this, where the love interests part forever because it's realistic. It works here, but as a reader I wanted them to get together. Or if not get together, at le...

Reply

Maya W.
19:27 Dec 30, 2020

So, I published that story if you have the time to read it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya W.
17:26 Dec 30, 2020

Thanks so much! I was really nervous about this one. I'm not entirely sure why, but I was. I might write a sequel to this someday, too, but for now, Kenji and Mariko have split ways. And you're right, I'll change fantasy to speculative. I'm writing a story right now that should be out by the end of the day. It's very different from this, but I feel like you'd like it for some reason, so maybe keep your eyes out for that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

Loved this story Maya. Great job! :)

Reply

Maya W.
02:12 Dec 30, 2020

Thanks! I'm working on a more complicated one now, so wait for that, too, I guess!

Reply

I'm waiting! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Yolanda Wu
01:34 Dec 29, 2020

Argh, of course you had to give kind of a frustrating ending just like Your Name did, humph. Lol, in all honesty this story may not be your proudest, but I'll reassure you that it was still well worth the read. I love how you described Mariko's connection to the two cities Tokyo and New York, bound to them like the string of fate. The way Kenji and Mariko met like there was an instant connection and the dialogue they exchanged, it really brought out the idea of soulmates. This story was still wonderful and enjoyable despite your doubts about...

Reply

Maya W.
01:37 Dec 29, 2020

Thanks! Yeah, I was reading about Japanese myths (as one does), and I saw that Your Name was based on one, so I was like "I should try that!" Maybe it wasn't my best, but it was still worth writing. Idk about reading though, lol.

Reply

Yolanda Wu
01:39 Dec 29, 2020

I honestly didn't know that Your Name was based on a myth. I mean I watched it in Japanese class and my teacher didn't even say anything about it. It was definitely still a good read, and hey, as long as you had fun writing it. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
02:50 Jan 08, 2021

Yes coming to the story again. It was a really beautiful story but it did not fit properly into the prompt. And the dialogues and in between paras were confusing. Ease out that bit. But overall the story was amazing.

Reply

Maya W.
03:23 Jan 08, 2021

I'm sorry it was confusing, could you explain what confused you more so I can work on it further? Also, it fits the prompt because Kenji is trying to find his soulmate at the end of the year.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
03:37 Jan 08, 2021

Oh, I see. But I found out about Kenji after you told me. The purpose of Kenji did not come immediately at first in the story. And coming to the dialogues. I found you elaborated the feelings of the characters and the narration a lot in between the dialogues which confused me a bit. Like there was no emphasis on dialogues, which would be slightly better. But overall the story and the concept of the plotline were amazing. Take my feedback with a grain of salt, because you write really well. It's just that feedbacks do help us in our journey o...

Reply

Maya W.
03:39 Jan 08, 2021

I always appreciate feedback! This one has already been submitted, but I'll keep that in mind for my next stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
K. Antonio
12:00 Dec 29, 2020

Sorry I didn't check this out beforehand, I saw your comment on my post and got here only this morning (morning in my time). I once produced a romantic story like this, the feeling was essentially the same. The idea of finding this unexplainable love, this attraction to another, a deep connection, I love stories that play with this side of life, it feels even spiritual. I really enjoyed the culture clash introduced in your piece. I felt that the little moments of speculation, where something happens to the character and yet she has no a...

Reply

Maya W.
14:05 Dec 29, 2020

Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it! I definitely have to go through and edit this, but I might write another story for this week if I have the energy, so we'll see what I have time to do. If you wouldn't mind, could you read some of my other stories here? This isn't one I'm especially proud of, just one I could really use feedback on.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:17 Dec 29, 2020

Awww I loved this story so much! Also where can I get a Kenji because I need one now. I loved how meaningful you made the conversation, and Musubi is such a beautiful concept. Great job, I don’t see why you aren’t proud of it! The only think I’m a little confused about is how it fits the prompt—is it because Kenji is scrambling to find his soulmate? But apart from that, really well done!

Reply

Maya W.
04:21 Dec 29, 2020

Thanks Imaan! Yeah, Kenji is trying to find is soulmate, but Mariko is remarking that even though the year is almost over, you can't always rely on fate and chance - only on the randomness of the universe. Well, she said something less deep, but whatevs. Lol, musubi is not only an interesting Japanese philosophy, but a piece of cooked spam tied to a rice ball with seaweed. My chef skills and writing skills always seem to meet in the country of Japan for some reason.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya W.
01:24 Dec 29, 2020

I'm not very proud of this one, so I could really, really use feedback. I was inspired after learning that one of my favorite anime movies, Your Name, was based on a myth about the string of fate. In the myth, the string connects soulmates through the veins in their pinkies, so maybe Kenji and Mariko really are soulmates, or maybe they're just two people who met by chance. It's up to the reader. Also, if anyone has any better title suggestions, I could use them. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
02:46 Jan 08, 2021

No, they need to meet. Please I demand a sequel. OMG. THe story line was so perfect. When they touched their hands, the dialogues and the internal monologue. Please make a sequel. Kenji deserves his soulmate.

Reply

Maya W.
03:22 Jan 08, 2021

Aww, thanks! Maybe someday.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.