19 comments

Creative Nonfiction Adventure

Flipping over the tape, I clicked the play button and smiled when “Modern Love” came through my headphones. David Bowie was the best flying music, I decided. 


After finding the pack of gum in my overstuffed bag, I offered a stick to my mother and then unwrapped one for myself. Chewing obnoxiously and exuberantly loud, I waited for my ears to snap, crackle and pop as we started our descent. Reluctantly, I clicked the stop button as the Sony Walkman couldn’t compete with the noise of the plane. “China Girl” would have to wait. China, my thoughts wandered, was the other side of the world. But then again, so was Israel, and here we were.


I looked at my mother. Even after the overnight flight, she was brimming with excitement. Why was this trip so important to her?


***


The girls with their machine guns slung across their backs startled me, gave me pause. I snapped a picture of them, lost in thought, winding to advance the film before taking another. 


Like a tourist, I was gaping at them as if an attraction. “Are they in the army?” I whispered to my mother.


“Yes, the IDF,” she replied as we walked down the bustling Tel Aviv street.


“I’m surprised so many girls want to join.”


“It’s mandatory. Everyone goes directly from high school into the military,” she explained to me.


Mandatory? I thought of myself after high school graduation planning my great escape to college. All the stress and drama of roommates, meal plans, and boyfriends dominated my life that summer before I left. I heard my voice complaining that I had to take the bus when most of my friends had cars of their own. Meanwhile, these girls were nonchalantly strolling along with their machine guns, chatting in the sunshine with their cups of coffee. I suddenly felt small.


***


“Tell me again who they are?” We sat down at the round table. The ceiling fan above us did little to cool the restaurant.


“My cousins.”


“How are they related to us?”


My mother looked at me for a moment longer than necessary. Maybe she had explained it already or assumed that I knew. “Your grandfather came to the United States from Latvia when the war broke out. His brother, Uncle Max, went to Israel. These are his daughters.”


I digested this information trying to form the family tree in my mind. Having no cousins of my own I couldn’t relate very well. I felt disconnected, distracted by the heat. I squirmed in my seat, tempted to ask the waiter to turn up the AC. Looking around at the open windows and archways leading into the garden I realized there was no air conditioning at all.


“That must be them, Rachel.” My mother stood up as two older women entered the restaurant. 


I was surprised by their age, having pictured them young. How were these women my mother’s cousins? Realizing my grandparents had my mother late in life I put it together. It was as if a generation was missing but it did add up.


The introductions were made, complete with hugs and kisses which left me feeling awkward, bringing out the shyness I had battled since childhood. I did not know these women after all. 


I sat quietly as the conversation swirled around me looking at the food that the cousins had ordered for us. I picked at the unfamiliar meat and sauces presented to me wishing for a slice of pizza and potato chips. My mind drifted to the shops we had passed in Tel Aviv as I made my mental list of who would be getting which souvenir. Maybe I would indulge in the boots I saw in the window display or even the leather jacket. I had some money saved from my new job.


Noticing my mother’s sudden look of sadness, I listened in hoping to catch onto the conversation without embarrassment. 


“I’m so sorry,” she said as I tried to pull up the dialogue that might still be hanging in the air or my recent memory. 


“Yes, he was killed in the war,” Chana said, looking serious. “He was my youngest.”


Her son? Killed in the war. I brushed aside all thoughts of shopping and started listening. I felt like I should say something.


“I’m so sorry,” I quietly offered condolences to my cousin. 


She looked at me then, and I couldn’t quite figure out the expression. Was it distaste or was I taking on a feeling of inadequacy? I felt like a spoiled child, and I didn’t like it.


After lunch we stepped out to the garden to take some photographs under the archways. I placed my hands on the cool limestone letting my sense of touch help me file away the moment into my memory. My mother wrapped up the conversation with more hugs and kisses while I took in the views of the rolling countryside. It was quite beautiful just a short drive from Tel Aviv. I hadn’t expected such green lushness. But then again, I didn’t know what to expect as I really hadn’t done any of the research.


***


“Did you enjoy meeting the cousins, Rachel?” My mother asked me in the cab as we rode back to the hotel.


“I did,” I forced out with an overly high pitch to my voice. I hoped my mother didn’t notice. I wasn’t sure how I felt about the get together other than it gave me a lot to think about. I was ignorant on too many topics, falling short on contributing to the conversation. 


Looking down at my brightly polished nails and fringed boots despite the heat I felt foolish. I looked at my mother who carried on a one-sided conversation with me and I started listening. For real.


***


Present day…


I bring the photo album and carefully balance it on my mother’s lap as she sits in her wheelchair. My two sons sit on either side of her, their cell phones on their laps but remaining untouched for the moment. I see a glimpse into the future, the day when they both have children, possibly daughters, who would be cousins. How heartbreaking if they never know each other. I finally understood the dynamic of cousins.


They look onto the photos covered in sheets of plastic with their undivided attention. 


My mother points from face to face announcing names questioningly. 


“Cousin Chana?” She asks. 


“Yes,” I smile encouragingly. 


“And Rafa?” 


“Yes, Rafa.” 


“And this lady?” She places a long fingernail on her own image. “Who is she?”


“That’s you,” I say not for the first time that day.

August 25, 2024 00:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Karen Hope
02:16 Sep 05, 2024

This is so relatable. Many of us have family in foreign places, and it's a gift to meet them and learn about their lives and their culture. The trip to Israel was her mothers gift to her, and now she is trying to keep that memory alive for her mother. Beautiful and touching story!

Reply

Hannah Lynn
17:42 Sep 06, 2024

Thank you for your feedback, it made me smile! This is an emotional one for me! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Greg DeLaurier
18:51 Sep 03, 2024

wonderful story, touching on so much, love, loss, family. You speak of universal things in a specific voice. I'm so pleased to be introduced to your writing.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
19:27 Sep 03, 2024

You're feedback made me smile! Thank you so much for the kind words! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
09:07 Sep 02, 2024

Felt the culture shock you experienced and my eyebrows flew up at the mention of your Latvian grandfather. My father was Latvian. Whether his brothers died in the war or not I have no idea but I used to wonder what if I had other family out there somewhere. That's just one of the human consequences of war. A really well written piece with a neat if sad ending. Life for you.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
19:26 Sep 03, 2024

Ah, you're Latvian also! I don't meet many people who have even heard of Latvia. My grandmother was born there as well. I bet there's tons of family still there and scattered all across Europe and Israel. Both my grandparents were one of many children. Maybe you and I are related lol :) I'm glad you enjoyed the story. Thanks so much for the kind feedback! :)

Reply

Carol Stewart
20:54 Sep 03, 2024

Father Latvian, mother Austrian, born in UK, and yes, few people at least when I was at school had heard of either country! Kids used to read Austria as Australia. Dad from Riga, was about to become station master before Stalin so I believe, but as I wrote in my non-fiction piece a couple weeks back he never spoke about his life at that time. Would have loved to have known more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:11 Sep 01, 2024

This is Pretty common actually which if sad. I have cousins I don't know at all. Dad's side of family were very distant. And circumstances also intervened. This was a great look into this scenario. Very touching too

Reply

Hannah Lynn
13:17 Sep 03, 2024

Thank you so much, Derrick. Cousins are a really interesting dynamic, very closely related but apparently not always close in relationship.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
12:16 Sep 01, 2024

I was surrounded by a large family (but it wasn't my own) that I never felt connected to. My true family is so large (there are many uncles and aunts and cousins), but I have never met any of them. I don't know them, but reading your story gave me a glimpse of how it would feel to know them.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
13:19 Sep 03, 2024

Thanks for reading Darvico! I’ve always wondered what it would be like growing up in a large family. Pros and cons to all situations. Interesting to think about.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:19 Aug 26, 2024

And time marches on so fast...

Reply

Hannah Lynn
17:11 Aug 29, 2024

So very, very fast… Thanks for reading, Mary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
14:58 Aug 26, 2024

You touched on a lot in this story. The cultural differences and confusion learning about them. Meeting family members, recognizing importance of relationships and finally aging and memory issues. Well done!

Reply

Hannah Lynn
17:10 Aug 29, 2024

Thanks for reading, Trudy! Yes this was packed with a lot of emotion for me as I wrote it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Linda Kenah
14:10 Aug 25, 2024

Very interesting, Hannah. Lovely, touching story. I grew up in a large family, and although my siblings and I are close, we don’t know our extended family. I have many cousins I have never met. Well done.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
23:02 Aug 25, 2024

Thank you so much, Linda! It’s interesting to think about those relatives that we haven’t met. I appreciate your feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
12:47 Aug 25, 2024

Hannah, this is a very touching tale. I also didn't grow up with cousins (My aunts and uncles who did have children all live abroad), and to be honest, I really don't know what that feels like. However, this gives me a glimpse into it. Lovely work.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
21:13 Aug 25, 2024

Thank you Alexis! First cousins are actually very closely related although sometimes (like we both know) are strangers. It's a little bit sad to think of siblings whose children don't know each other but I guess it's more common that I thought.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.